Pulp Stories: What to Read?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Pulp Stories: What to Read?

Post by Relaxo »

So like the folks (I suppose I'm one of them) reading the Appendix N materials to get the flavor of DCC, what should I read to really really GET Pulp?

Like a list of authors and or stories... is there a top 10 anywhere? Is this stuff still available?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

kreider204
Unkbartig

Re: Pulp Stories: What to Read?

Post by kreider204 »

In general, or a more specific genre? There's pulp hero, pulp detective, pulp horror, etc.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Relaxo wrote:Like a list of authors and or stories... is there a top 10 anywhere? Is this stuff still available?
List of Amazon.com Pulp books.

The Shadow has an extensive cross-publishing footprint, which is way too long to list here. Only The Shadow knows.

Ryker series by Jack Cannon (a.k.a. Nelson DeMille). Keep a look out for these other than Amazon. Went there to link for you, but the prices were some of the most insane I've seen on Amazon.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Good point, Kreider.
My frame of reference is like, Indiana Jones... but yeah, the Shadow, I suppose John Carter counts as pulp? I've heard people say Star Wars is pulp....

So I really don't even know
I THINK I know it when I see it, as they say, but I'm trying to hone in on more of a real clue.

Is it fair to say that any genre with adventure tropes is pulp? the major tropes are adventure, exploration, trope/archetype characters, fun, explosions, chases, crazy dangers and narrow escapes? like, just all fun shit adventure stories?

Besides Nazis and grays, far out retro future tech... what makes things pulp?
(is all of this answered in the wikipedia article I should have read? LOL)
Bill D.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Contrary to popular usage, pulp was a mode of delivery rather than a genre - calling pulp a genre is like calling television or radio a genre. Having said that, it's come to be associated with a certain style of almost any genre - there's pulp modern adventure, pulp sci fi, pulp fantasy, pulp western, etc. Pulp tends to emphasize over-the-top action, archetypical (sometimes even two-dimensional) characters, and not usually a great deal of concern for realism (especially when you're talking about anything scifi). Authors such as Robert Howard, ER Burroughs, Fritz Leiber, and HP Lovecraft certainly come to mind.
Hope that helps!

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Yeah, that's the impression I was forming.
Like "comics", "pulp" isn't a genre, it's a medium... but it does speak to a flavor.

Ok, that totally helps! Thanks man!
Bill D.

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

kreider204 wrote:Contrary to popular usage, pulp was a mode of delivery rather than a genre - calling pulp a genre is like calling television or radio a genre. Having said that, it's come to be associated with a certain style of almost any genre - there's pulp modern adventure, pulp sci fi, pulp fantasy, pulp western, etc. Pulp tends to emphasize over-the-top action, archetypical (sometimes even two-dimensional) characters, and not usually a great deal of concern for realism (especially when you're talking about anything scifi). Authors such as Robert Howard, ER Burroughs, Fritz Leiber, and HP Lovecraft certainly come to mind.
Hope that helps!
+1 on that, technically it is a medium not a particular genre. Though you can look at much of the entertainment, especially from the 30's to 50's of any medium to capture the flavor of what is now considered the pulp genre. Especially look for old time radio shows such as Superman, The Shadow, Green Hornet, X-Minus One, Suspense, Buck Rodgers, Flash Gordon, Blackstone the Magic Detective, and well the list could go on an on. Check this site Radio Lovers for a large selection of shows (X-Minus One which is really SciFi is under Misc. for some reason), listen from each genre to find a flavor that you like, or to just get more of a feel for many of them.

Many old TV shows and Movies captured the feel as well, everything from the Wizard of OZ to the Lone Ranger, from SciFi there are a huge number of shows, pretty much any "B" movie will do as well as classics such as Forbidden Planet (IMO one of the best SciFi movies ever made), Indiana Jones was a great pulp hero, but so is Alan Quartermain, the movie was made from the 1885 novel King Solomon's Mines and it's sequels by H. Rider Haggard.

Look also for SteamPunk and CyberPunk resources, these are heavily influenced by the pulp-era style.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

COOL!

Dumb question (and thread drift): NOIR actually is a genre, right?

back on topic: I'm tossing around some ideas in my head for Amazing Adventures and wanted to make sure they were bombastic enough.
Bill D.

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

Relaxo wrote:COOL!

Dumb question (and thread drift): NOIR actually is a genre, right?

back on topic: I'm tossing around some ideas in my head for Amazing Adventures and wanted to make sure they were bombastic enough.
When people talk noir, they are generally talking about Film Noir, and it is a genre. Filled with tough, cynical characters, dark and bleak settings, and often there are well, lets just say the femme fatale often plays a part. Stories are crime/mystery driven check out classics like The Maltese Falcon, Double Indemnity, The Big Sleep, The Postman Always Rings Twice, and modern movies such as Blade Runner, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and Seven.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

OK. So clearly there's some looseness to this all.

Confusing the issue (for me, at least) are Marvel Noir comics, which are like 1920's - 1940's pulp/noir re-imaginings of the characters you know and love. The books are pretty cool.
Bill D.

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

Relaxo wrote:OK. So clearly there's some looseness to this all.

Confusing the issue (for me, at least) are Marvel Noir comics, which are like 1920's - 1940's pulp/noir re-imaginings of the characters you know and love. The books are pretty cool.
Yes the Marvel Noir series was a fusion of pulp fiction and film noir. Now, don't that stop you, if that is the feel you are looking for by all means jump on it!

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

IMO, they're a good read, the Spider Man and Iron man ones, at least.
My point was more to show off that I understood you. :D

in any event, if anyone hasn't already, buy Day of the Worm and AA!
Bill D.

Kathulos
Mist Elf

Post by Kathulos »

Thought I'd throw in a few links that you can check out and decide what you want to read.

Knightraven Studios. IMO, worth checking out for their two 'Pulp Hero' novels, with a third on the way, and their free collection of downloadable public domain works.

All Pulp Blog. A great place to check out what is coming out, and reviews of recently published books, comics, and audios.

Coming Attractions. another review site with extensive listings of what will be released in the near future and notices of upcoming projects. Highly recommended for the links to various publishers.

Airship 27. Publishing company that is working hard to create new pulp stories based on public domain, and newly created, characters.

Finally, if your a comicbook reader, you might want to check out the new mini series being publiched by Dynamite comics, Masks!

Of course it never hurts to do a google search for the iconic characters of adventure pulp;

Doc Savage

The Spider: Master of Men

The Shadow

The Avenger

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Sweet!
Thanks Kathulos!
Bill D.

Kathulos
Mist Elf

Post by Kathulos »

I forgot about a site which has a number of character write-ups.
Although there are few links to online sources, or publishers. I've found the site excellent for giving me foundations for characters and villains.

Pulp and Adventure Heroes of the Pre-War Years