TLG 2013: What Would You Like To See?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

TLG 2013: What Would You Like To See?

Post by Julian Grimm »

Last night I was wondering what I would like to see from TLG in the next year. After thinking of this I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone else would like to see from TLG in the next year. So without ado, here is what I would like to see:

C&C

-An expansion book like the Crusader's Companion that gives us some extra building blocks to play with. For that matter officially picking up the CC or getting an at-cost P.O.D. available would be great.

-While I am not a module guy I would like to see the A-Series finished and work begin on something new. Personally, I feel that with the loss of CZ there has been a vacancy yet to be filled. Something that would be C&C's Temple of Elemental Evil or Undermountain would be a great addition to the game.

-A full folio or boxed set take on the Haunted Highlands. I think the series has great potential and could use some TLC. For that matter, an expanded Crater of Umetshi could work as the above vacancy filler.

The Crusader

Some form of decision and follow through. The last few issues I got before I let my subscription lapse were lackluster. Seeing the gap between issues is painful enough as a bystander and I cannot begin to imagine how a subscriber feels. Either let it go or build it back up but do something.

SIEGE Games

I don't have a dog in this fight since I am mainly a fantasy guy. However, I see great potential here and I think that these games deserve a bit more support than they have gotten. I have heard tale of a StarSIEGE rebuild and relaunch; if this is true then it would be a good starting point to get these games the support they need. Support wouldn't have to be much, even a once a quarter release for these games would keep things going until the fanbase builds.

Fields of Battle

I almost bought this instead of Classic Monsters but knew I would use CM where FoB was iffy. What I would like to see here is a deal with Fat Dragon Games to produce a continuing line of material for the game in the way of paper miniatures and terrain for the game. Another idea would be a scenario book that would tie the game to Airdhe, The Haunted Highlands, Bluffside, Kalas or other settings.

Other

I would like to see TLG pursue a line of affordable miniatures. Either paper or, more preferably, plastic ones similar to those found in the Descent game or the old HeroQuest line. Even a set made like those old green army men we played with would be cool. The key idea here is affordable and getting away from having to spend a fortune on pewter or pre-painted plastic and be able to have something to spice up the game. (This would also be a boon for Fields of Battle)

One last thing is this: Judges Guild. No one has a license for them and, if one could be made happen, adding in the Judges Guild library to C&C is a no-brainer. Adding in a JG library that is fully compatible and updated to C&C, StarSIEGE and other games would be a boon to both companies. There would be buyers and guaranteed sales. How many have said they would like to see a C&C Wilderlands?

Anyway, that's my wishlist. What's yours?
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Re: TLG 2013: What Would You Like To See?

Post by Lord Dynel »

My list would be pretty simple, I think. Here's what I'd want to see from the Trolls in 2013:

Harvesters Redux - I liked it originally, but there were some things inside that I felt wasn't modified enough for the Harvesters game. It seemed like a direct port from C&C, and some things didn't fit very well. I especially remember some spells like this. I'd purchase an updated Harvesters book and some modules/accessories, were they available. It was a shame it wasn't supported more.

The Crusader - I'd like to see this get back on schedule. I think a lot of extra goodies and expansion material for C&C could easily be brought to the buying public via the Crusader without too many supplements and new shiny books. I like those, too, but I don't think we need supplemental books for every single facet of the game. I'd rather see things like that covered in the Crusader.

Star SIEGE - Along the same lines as Harvesters, I'd like to see some more coverage of SS, especially a campaign setting.

Modules - with the A-series (most likely) finishing up in 2013, I wouldn't mind seeing a new mega series of "supermodule" type material come out next year.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Besides what's already in the works, I'd love to see a lot of support for Amazing Adventures as well as a Star Siege relaunch.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Star SIEGE relaunch, release of Victorious, and Crusader released on a consistent basis. Aside from that? More products like Kalas. Jack of Lies sounds like its going to do the trick. So I just hope they keep it up from there.

Oh, I'd love it if they finished off the A series this coming year. With an awesome concluding boxed set.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

In no particular order...

A more frequent and regular schedule for the Crusader. A mini adventure in each issue.

I second the possibility of a Crusader Companion. More classes might not be a bad thing. Admittedly, adding unusual player races isn't always right for some campaigns, but at least the option is there. The current fan-made CC might be a good starting point.

The return of the portrait screen, or the same content, art, etc. in landscape form. Perhaps customizable screens, with content determined by each customer.

Siege games. Re-tooled Starsiege, Tainted Lands, and Harvesters. Modules for those, as well as Amazing Adventures. A personal wish...C&C and Goblinoid Games team up to do a Siege-based Mutant Future. Seems like I mentioned this to Dan Proctor at Gary Con.

More Fields of Battle support. Scenarios, cardstocks, and figs (however costly and unrealistic).

More modules. Wrap up of the A-series, boxed set verison of Haunted Highlands with future material. An entire new series penned by TLG's Todd Gray, more offerings from Kim, and something from Luke and Ernie Gygax. Also, a line of adventures from Savage Worlds writer, Paul "Wiggy" Wade-Williams. I know he has interest, but finding the time...

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but that's a start.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

As for A13 Aufstrag, I thought it was going to be a 100+ page book of sorts. Can't remember if Stephen mentioned that once.

I forgot to mention a desire for new material from Stephen, Davis, Casey, and James Ward.

A full-color wrap-a-round t-shirt of Peter Bradley's portrait screen artwork. A pipe dream to be certain. At least some black tees with the C&C logo and art?

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

tylermo wrote: I second the possibility of a Crusader Companion. More classes might not be a bad thing. Admittedly, adding unusual player races isn't always right for some campaigns, but at least the option is there. The current fan-made CC might be a good starting point.
I wonder what it would cost to get the CC printed and bound? I think it would be a neat thing to have on my shelf but I am afraid it would cost and arm and leg for a single copy.
Lord Skystorm

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Julian Grimm wrote:
tylermo wrote: I second the possibility of a Crusader Companion. More classes might not be a bad thing. Admittedly, adding unusual player races isn't always right for some campaigns, but at least the option is there. The current fan-made CC might be a good starting point.
I wonder what it would cost to get the CC printed and bound? I think it would be a neat thing to have on my shelf but I am afraid it would cost and arm and leg for a single copy.
I printed my Crusader Companion out, then had it spiral bound. Cost about $5. not including the ink for my printer. I have an inexpensive B&W laser printer though.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I'm trying to remember the cost of having pdf's printed at UPS store. I bet a big page count will be more than you think. Easily 25 dollars perhaps. Good luck.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

A couple of years ago I got Chris Perkins AD&D 3 printed out and comb bound for under 30 dollars. That was both the players book and his Unearthed Arcana, so a couple of hundred pages.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I would like to see supplements based on themes and not "culture" per se. For example, a Caveman book -- spells, items, critters, classes. That kind of thing. Sort of like the AD&D 2e "HR" books but more precise.

DeadReborn
Ulthal

Post by DeadReborn »

More Tainted Lands and another entry in the Engineering series. The first two entries are outstanding products. And as Julian said, C&C Judges Guild would be awesome. I would jump all over a reprint of Tegel Manor.
"My simple card trick has turned you into an ice cream cone!
Which means...I AM A LEVEL TEN WIZARD!"-SpongeBob SquarePants

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

DeadReborn wrote: I would jump all over a reprint of Tegel Manor.
I sort of did that about 6 months ago. I bought the GameScience version of the PDF then printed it out so I could keep my original in its shrink wrap. Done that with a couple of other Judges Guild PDF's as well. The Judges Guild character descriptions go well with C&C, very easy to convert.

Now if TLG was able to get Bob Jr. to allow them to do all new C&C versions, I'd definitely buy them all. Probably multiple copies of each.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

DeadReborn wrote:More Tainted Lands and another entry in the Engineering series. The first two entries are outstanding products. And as Julian said, C&C Judges Guild would be awesome. I would jump all over a reprint of Tegel Manor.

Thanks. When I get the time, and I promise I will eventually, I have plans to finish Engineering Cities, Engineering Worlds, and Engineering Threats.

DeadReborn
Ulthal

Post by DeadReborn »

serleran wrote:
DeadReborn wrote:More Tainted Lands and another entry in the Engineering series. The first two entries are outstanding products. And as Julian said, C&C Judges Guild would be awesome. I would jump all over a reprint of Tegel Manor.

Thanks. When I get the time, and I promise I will eventually, I have plans to finish Engineering Cities, Engineering Worlds, and Engineering Threats.
That's great news! :)
"My simple card trick has turned you into an ice cream cone!
Which means...I AM A LEVEL TEN WIZARD!"-SpongeBob SquarePants

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

DeadReborn wrote:
serleran wrote:

Seconded.
Lord Skystorm

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

The A series has been fantastic, so I'm very much looking forward to the final module!! :)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Treebore wrote:A couple of years ago I got Chris Perkins AD&D 3 printed out and comb bound for under 30 dollars. That was both the players book and his Unearthed Arcana, so a couple of hundred pages.
The problem for me is that I would want a binding similar to that of my BFRPG softcover or hardback (I'm OCD that way). I could do it as a personal project through LULU but, I don't think that would be fair to the author(s). Considering that the books comes in at 300+ pages, having it printed in color and bound the way I want it would be prohibitive as far as cost goes. Now, if Mr. Schroeder wanted to upload it to LULU or go through Arcana Creations to get it in hard form I would be one of the first in line to get it. Ideally, TLG would pick the book up but I have a feeling they won't and, even if they did, I fear a wait time like we got for the CKG.

That said, I had an idea for Fields of Battle.

What if TLG went the route that WOTC did for it's Chainmail game a few years ago? Have a small setting built for it (or use and existing setting) and release a line of miniatures, again by partnering with FDG or finding someone to make cheap plastic ones, for the game. They could still be used for any setting but you would also have a perfect set up for convention, tournament or 'regulation' play. I could see this working.
Lord Skystorm

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I've got plenty of mini's/tokens to use for monsters, so I'd only be interested in such things for military units.

Aside from that, my only interest would be in terrain pieces from FDG, but as it is, I have plenty of options to "make do" with as it is.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Oh, I have made due as well. I am just basically making a 'wish list' of things I would like to see and buy.
Lord Skystorm

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Julian Grimm wrote: Now, if Mr. Schroeder wanted to upload it to LULU or go through Arcana Creations to get it in hard form I would be one of the first in line to get it.
Has anyone raised this possibility to him? I'd also be all over that.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Sorry I forgot to mention more "Engineering" books. Engineering Dungeons has always been a strong seller for me at the dealers table.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I'd have to say the big two for me are Victorious and the Book of Familiars. It would be nice to see a wider variety of modules as well. Outside of TLG, Bluffside is also an intriguing item.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

kreider204 wrote:
Julian Grimm wrote: Now, if Mr. Schroeder wanted to upload it to LULU or go through Arcana Creations to get it in hard form I would be one of the first in line to get it.
Has anyone raised this possibility to him? I'd also be all over that.

Does he still come here? I haven't seen him post for awhile.
Lord Skystorm

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

tylermo wrote:Sorry I forgot to mention more "Engineering" books. Engineering Dungeons has always been a strong seller for me at the dealers table.
While we're on the Engineering books, what about expanded versions of them as a type of successor to the long dead GFW series? I have faith Robert could pull it off.
Lord Skystorm

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Julian Grimm wrote:
DeadReborn wrote:
serleran wrote:

Seconded.
Thirded!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Go0gleplex wrote:I'd have to say the big two for me are Victorious and the Book of Familiars.
THIS
(These :oops:)

I would love to see more AA Adventure Modules too!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

trashheap
Ungern

Post by trashheap »

In order of most desired to least:

Book of Familiars
Starseige Relaunch
The Storyteller's Thesaurus
Something in the vein of Oriental Adventures for C&C
Bluffside
A new printing of the CKG & M&T to match the 5th Printing PHB.
Something like the Crusader's Companion published in print form.
A compilation of the "best of" Crusader magazin.

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

Lord Dynel wrote:My list would be pretty simple, I think. Here's what I'd want to see from the Trolls in 2013:

Harvesters Redux - I liked it originally, but there were some things inside that I felt wasn't modified enough for the Harvesters game. It seemed like a direct port from C&C, and some things didn't fit very well. I especially remember some spells like this. I'd purchase an updated Harvesters book and some modules/accessories, were they available. It was a shame it wasn't supported more.

The Crusader - I'd like to see this get back on schedule. I think a lot of extra goodies and expansion material for C&C could easily be brought to the buying public via the Crusader without too many supplements and new shiny books. I like those, too, but I don't think we need supplemental books for every single facet of the game. I'd rather see things like that covered in the Crusader.

Star SIEGE - Along the same lines as Harvesters, I'd like to see some more coverage of SS, especially a campaign setting.

Modules - with the A-series (most likely) finishing up in 2013, I wouldn't mind seeing a new mega series of "supermodule" type material come out next year.
Of Harvesters: I have written two other modules and a Creatures & Critters accessory. Waiting on the artwork for the first of the adventure modules (Lost Fang's Gold). The Creat. & Crit. books needs a bunch of artwork. Where this all goes only time will tell.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Here is one that has been bugging me for some time and I think it would be very doable for TLG. It concerns the various reprints and changes in the printings of the Player's Handbook. While I think it is a good thing that TLG strives to continually improve the book there remains an issue that is a bit unfair to those of us who purchased the book prior to the fourth print. That issue is the changes made to the Barbarian and the Illusionist.

Many of us cannot afford to keep buying new PHB's when a new printing comes and quite a few of us have been supporters of the game from the beginning. For those of us that are already invested I feel that TLG should make the changes from printing to printing available to those who already have invested in the books. A simple web enhancement type document would suffice to keep us up to date without having to shell out cash every time a major change is made. I don't think that this would kill sales of the books as it would allow those of us who have already given TLG a fair amount of money an even break when it comes to rules.

Some may think that the changes are not important enough to warrant this. However, if you are running a demo with the older books or have a player that picks up a later print of the PHB there can be some confusion. If TLG would release a document that covers the changes from printing to printing those that value such things as rules accuracy and table uniformity would be pleased and sales would probably increase from this. Just some food for thought.
Lord Skystorm