Gygax Magazine from TSR

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Re: Gygax Magazine from TSR

Post by CKDad »

Tim Kask posted a lengthy commentary on what they're doing and what they aspire to do with the magazine over on Dragonsfoot today. Here's the text of his post:
The last couple of days have been more fun than I have had in a long time. I refer, of course, to the leaking of the news that a new magazine called Gygax Magazine is coming out next month. Just monitoring several FB threads yesterday took a lot of time.

Because this community has been very kind to me, I will share with you in what detail I can before the release. So, here are some snippets of the advertising packet or quotes from replies I wrote yesterday:

* Gygax Magazine will be released next month, December 2012.
* The magazine will be available in both print and digital formats.
* The name Gygax Magazine refers to Ernie and Luke.
* We registered the TSR trademark in 2011, but we are a new company, and not associated with the original TSR or Wizards of the Coast.
* Gygax Magazine will cover a wide variety of RPGs and strategy games, focusing on the games of today while preserving the traditions and history of the industry.
* We'd prefer to talk more about the contents of the first issue when it's available, but we hope people will love it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Gygax Magazine is myself, Ernie Gygax, Luke Gygax, Tim Kask, James Carpio, and Jim Wampler. Our first issue is out in December; since it's not finished yet, we've been pretty quiet about things until it's ready.

Just to address some of the questions, I thought it was best that I leave a reply. We do own the trademark for TSR, and have since December of 2011. We are a new company, not the old TSR, as they were purchased by Wizards in the '90s. The trademark was abandoned about nine years ago, and we registered it in 2011.

We decided the best thing to release first as TSR was a gaming magazine, because we wanted a way to bridge the traditions of the old guard with the awesome new games that are out today. " - Jayson Elliot

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

When I googled Gygax Magazine earlier this evening, I was taken aback by the number of hits. Some of the stuff I read was nasty and suspicious, even a bit mean-spirited; the speculations ran the gamut of possibilities; most of the buzz is very positive.

I was approached by Jayson nearly a year ago and asked if I might be interested in allowing him and his incipient staff to pick my brain regarding putting together a crackerjack new gaming magazine. Jayson produced his bonafides in the form of a very classy music ‘zine he had produced. I enthusiastically agreed to come on board as a consultant, and am glad to say that they always listened to both my answers and my suggestions, and I shared my publishing philosophy with them, still pretty much the same as when I started Dragon, Little Wars and Adventure Gaming. Jayson has assembled a very impressive, small and tight staff. My position with the mag is merely Consulting Editor; additionally, I will produce a regular bully-pulpit column each issue and the occasional game article. (My first feature article will be in #2, an in-depth look at a game called Samurai Battles that is part minis, part board and has overtones that are remarkably similar to the currents running through minis at the dawn of role-playing.)

Our initial publicity has been a bit misleading and incomplete—this will not be a one-trick-pony magazine. We want this to have the same zest for capital G gaming as the early days of The Dragon and Little Wars, and a philosophy I followed with Adventure Gaming. That means that we will spend our time showcasing what we think are great games regardless of who makes it. We want to have a little something for everyone in every issue. I proved that it could be done with the success of the aforementioned magazines.

I was asked if the new TSR planned to produce “the next great rpg”. Good gawd, NO! In an interview I did with a blog, I pointed out that we at EE were asked the same thing. My reply was that there was no way that the four of us could possibly agree on a set of rules; we had no plans to even try.

We have an absolutely stellar Table of Contents in this first issue, crammed with names of talented writers and designers, both old and new. We have some eye-popping art by some big names and names that we expect to be big soon. Our first cover is outstanding: our second will blow you away. We plan to have pieces about all sorts of games, some rules/brand-specific and others not. We are considering a regular figure feature, and perhaps one on painting them. By the same token, we might steer you to a great card game (though pretty probably not CCG’s). We have so many approaches to our beloved hobby that we can take; we plan to take a variety each issue.

We are in no way legally connected to any company in existence before 2011. Gary’s widow owns all of his IP and has already shown by her overt hostility that it is not worth going there.

Our intent is to celebrate gaming in its myriad forms. Gary’s two oldest sons are not going to do anything cheap or tawdry to diminish their father or his legacy; he raised them better than that.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

How can I get my hands on this mag? Any talk of electronic form, as well?

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

tylermo wrote:How can I get my hands on this mag? Any talk of electronic form, as well?
Somebody doesn't read very well. ;)

Somebody posted a link, for Kickstarter, about some guy that has taken the time to try and make a AD&D 2e that Gary would've done if he hadn't left TSR in 1985. (Sorry I forget the name.) Wouldn't it be cool if this company teamed up with this other guy and put out this new game as the TSR in house rpg?
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Sir Ironside wrote:Somebody posted a link, for Kickstarter, about some guy that has taken the time to try and make a AD&D 2e that Gary would've done if he hadn't left TSR in 1985. (Sorry I forget the name.) Wouldn't it be cool if this company teamed up with this other guy and put out this new game as the TSR in house rpg?
Good Sir! You must be referring to the Adventures Dark & Deep Kickstarter being run by Joe Block of Greyhawk Grognard Blog fame under his BRW Games company ( http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/ )

Here is the Kickstarter link

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/623 ... ers-manual

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

Sir Ironside wrote:Somebody posted a link, for Kickstarter, about some guy that has taken the time to try and make a AD&D 2e that Gary would've done if he hadn't left TSR in 1985. (Sorry I forget the name.) Wouldn't it be cool if this company teamed up with this other guy and put out this new game as the TSR in house rpg?
From multiple posts by Tim Kask and Luke Gygax, it doesn't seem likely that this iteration of TSR will be publishing games, at least not anytime in the foreseeable future. They appear to be focused on the magazine and unspecified "books".

Oh, and the comic content? Phil Foglio and Jim Wampler are on board, so there will be "What's New With Phil & Dixie", "Marvin the Mage" and "Order of the Stick" comics in the magazine. :)
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

TSR is publishing Gygax magazine!*

*This is not the TSR that published Dungeons & Dragons nor is the Gygax name associated with Gary Gygax.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

CKDad wrote:From multiple posts by Tim Kask and Luke Gygax, it doesn't seem likely that this iteration of TSR will be publishing games, at least not anytime in the foreseeable future. They appear to be focused on the magazine and unspecified "books".
Yeah I did read this part...
I was asked if the new TSR planned to produce “the next great rpg”. Good gawd, NO! In an interview I did with a blog, I pointed out that we at EE were asked the same thing. My reply was that there was no way that the four of us could possibly agree on a set of rules; we had no plans to even try.
I just know that a good option can always change ones mind. We are talking about a set of rules that a) Is kind of tied to Gary Gygax without infringing on anybody. b) They don't have to build a system from scratch. c) It is another source of revenue. (First to admit an untested game has risks. But, if the mag is successful, it'd make it easier to get the word out.) d) You don't have to change your magazine model except for a dedicated space for your game.

It doesn't have to launch right away, of course you want the mag to establish itself.

Sure, I'm reading between the lines, and realistically "I" would like to see a game system tied to a great (hopefully) magazine. Others might not and I'm not a business dude so this could just be a stupid idea. So, in the end, like I said, it is something "I'd" like to see.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I'm looking forward to this magazine with a lot of enthusiasm. My only concern is that they plan to cover a little of everything. 30 years ago, Dragon could do this because there weren't so many products out there. Now the number of game titles is staggering. I hope they don't lose their fan base by spreading out too thin.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Sir Ironside wrote: c) It is another source of revenue. (First to admit an untested game has risks. But, if the mag is successful, it'd make it easier to get the word out.) d) You don't have to change your magazine model except for a dedicated space for your game. ...
Sure, I'm reading between the lines, and realistically "I" would like to see a game system tied to a great (hopefully) magazine. Others might not and I'm not a business dude so this could just be a stupid idea. So, in the end, like I said, it is something "I'd" like to see.
It's a good idea business wise. I used this, (getting a new product to have a dedicated space in an established vertical mag) to rapidly launch a product. It worked well.

You should have been a business man. :mrgreen:
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

finarvyn wrote:My only concern is that they plan to cover a little of everything. 30 years ago, Dragon could do this because there weren't so many products out there. Now the number of game titles is staggering. I hope they don't lose their fan base by spreading out too thin.
I agree, in history a "jack-of-all-trades" rarely work out. Trying to appease everyone, it becomes a magazine with no direction. This model may work against them as people would want some meat about the genre they like. Giving a few pages to cover that could possibly create a problem were it comes out strong, from the gate, but then drops of, fairly quickly as people who purchase it can't justify buying later issues for the 5 pages their interested in.

The only rpg magazine, that I can think of, that successfully did the jack-of-all-trades method was the Pyramid magazine. I'm talking the one that was the dead tree version years ago. (Have no idea what the new Pyramid is like.) It didn't really have any challengers, except the Dragon magazine and it could pull it off because it covered all things GURPS and sometimes other systems, like In Nomine. But, these were all in house games.

However this is a rpg magazine so maybe the model would work better than other types of magazine.
Arduin wrote:You should have been a business man. :mrgreen:
Gee thanks. I guess I got the degree from the school of hard-knocks. :D

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Just picked up the first issue. Not bad. Lots of stuff on the history of D&D and RPGs in general, articles by folks talking about "back in the day." Frankly, I feel like I've read all that a few million times before, including from the Crusader early issues.
Also a nice village with adventure hooks, some material for other games (AGE, Pathfinder), and comix, including the return of Phil and Dixie. :)
Certainly worth checking out; curious to see how it develops.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I still need to get a copy. I keep forgetting about it. I hope copies are still available.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Issue 2 is out. I like it. Lots of useful stuff, for a variety of games systems. Worth checking out if you have a few bucks to spare.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Have they posted anywhere as to why it took so long for this issue to get out?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

I think it's meant to be a quarterly. This issue says "Autumn 2013."

EDIT: Whoa. The first one came out in February, didn't it?! That is a long time ...

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Treebore wrote:Have they posted anywhere as to why it took so long for this issue to get out?

Check the latest podcast of Roll For Initiative, Luke Gygax and Jason Elliot give an interview and one thing they talk about is why they are late. Issue three, they say is on schedule to release in October.

Link to podcast: http://rfipodcast.com/show/2013/08/18/v ... -2-review/

One thing they did mention was that they did not have their own stand at GenCon, but sold the newest issue at the Troll Lord stand (as well as Dwarven Forge and one other stand).

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

dachda wrote:
Treebore wrote:Have they posted anywhere as to why it took so long for this issue to get out?

Check the latest podcast of Roll For Initiative, Luke Gygax and Jason Elliot give an interview and one thing they talk about is why they are late. Issue three, they say is on schedule to release in October.

Link to podcast: http://rfipodcast.com/show/2013/08/18/v ... -2-review/

One thing they did mention was that they did not have their own stand at GenCon, but sold the newest issue at the Troll Lord stand (as well as Dwarven Forge and one other stand).
Specifically we were told issue 3 would ship by October 30th. It's November 2nd now and not even so much as a peep about issue 3. This venture was exciting at first, but has turned into quite a disappointment. I feel a bit embarrassed that the Gygax name graces this poorly managed publication.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Played a game with Ernie this weekend at Gamehole Con where he did talk up the Gygax magazine a lot. We traveled through his Old Hobby Shop dungeon which is supposed to be the focus of the upcoming Gygax magazine, and the dungeon write up seems really cool and well written, i have my personal dislikes about it, but nothing is perfect for everyone. I was disappointed how long it took us to get to anything anywhere in the dungeon, even at the con level where we just started blindly running going against all the little alarms buzzing in our head. I took a peak at the map to be included with the magazine and it looks phenomal and we did start finding stuff, it was very interesting and a well laid out adventure with many layers of stuff to focus on.

He had said that they were trying to put it out before the con which if I am remembering right, he said was two weeks ahead of the original schedule.

Just an fyi to those who care lol. I may pick it up because I am excited to read through the rest of the dungeon if nothing else

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Issue 3 is out - downloading now ...