What Board/Card Games Are You Playing?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Demiurge
Red Cap

What Board/Card Games Are You Playing?

Post by Demiurge »

I've been playing a lot of board and card games of late and am on the lookout for more fun games.

Here's what I've been playing of late:
Innovation
Dominion
Citadels
Small World

How about you?
Find me on the Google+

My GM badges
ImageImageImageImage
Get yours here

Omote
Battle Stag

Re: What Board/Card Games Are You Playing?

Post by Omote »

Don't play many card games any more. About the only boardgames left that I play on any regular basis are:

Axis & Allies (Pacific 1939 + Europe 1940)
Talisman (4.5 Edition/FFG)
Space Hulk (3rd Edition)
Lord of the Rings (FFG/Reiner Knizia version)

If you count BattleTech as a board game, that I play that the most.

About every 2-3 months I throw in a Eurogame in there somewhere.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Same as always:

Hero Quest
Warhammer Quest
Dungeon!
Zombies!!! (with all expansions)
Talisman 2nd edition (with all expansions)

However, we have recently added these to the staples...

Munchkin Quest (with all expansions)
Munchkin
Shadows over Camelot (with Merlin's Company expansion)
Castle Ravenloft (with our own expansions)
Dungeonquest (original version)

Just Jeff
Red Cap

Post by Just Jeff »

If it's just my wife and me, usually Runebound. When we get together with the old folks at church, Ticket to Ride and Caracassonne. (They were mostly Scrabble and dominoes before we showed up. ;))

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Just played some Space Hulk Death Angels card game last week. Pretty fun, but not as fun as the full Space Hulk board game. Still love me some Dominion and Witch's Brew among lots of others. Gonna have to set up a Smallworld game soon, I think.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

Battlestar Galactica (best boardgame ever), Ra, Citadels, Space Hulk, and Glory to Rome. We're gonna try to play Car Wars soon.
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a god.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Battlestar Galactica is surprisingly deep and filled with interesting, original mechanics. That much I'll give you.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Funny, I just found a good group that is willing to play boardgames on a regular basis. We just kind of started but so far we've played Carcassonne (which they love and I have the big box set so we can slowly add the expansions.) and Fortress America. (Yes I have the game in great condition with all the parts. Got it for $50 on ebay a couple of years ago... so suck on that board game aficionado's)

On the cue is Sjgames Zombie dice game. I eventually want to get and play Battlestar Galactica.

I'd like to reacquire Memoir '44, Illuminati card game and A Game of Thrones.

My dream game ( That'll probably never happen is Diplomacy with 7 players. :( )

Looking at but not sold on is Revolt by Sjgames.

I have both Supremacy and the Starcraft board game, but I doubt we'll ever play either as there are steep learning curves, that my group just isn't ready for a ton of rules.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Fortress America is awesome. The USA never looses... THE WAY IT SHOULD BE!

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Wow, just realized I did not play any board/card games last weekend at GaryCON. I expected that I would play Ticket to Ride and Dungeon! like I did last year and perhaps try something new.
Didn't happen.
I did however play a dice game ~ Liar's dice. Great game and one that I knew well since we played liar's poker with dollar bills at the beach when we were punk kids!

:)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Rhuvein wrote:Wow, just realized I did not play any board/card games last weekend at GaryCON. I expected that I would play Ticket to Ride and Dungeon! like I did last year and perhaps try something new.
Didn't happen.
I did however play a dice game ~ Liar's dice. Great game and one that I knew well since we played liar's poker with dollar bills at the beach when we were punk kids!

:)
You should've kicked some ass at Bohnanza or Bang! and shown those dudes how it's done. ;)
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Castle Ravenloft and Dungeonquest. We are talking about breaking out our Axis and Allies boxes soon.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Castle Panic
Fun game of defending a castle from an overwhelming, surrounding monster army.
Cooperative or competitive.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/ ... stle-panic
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

I'm sitting on a ton of different board games and card games, but rarely play them. Though most recently (last couple of weeks), I did manage a game of Monty Pythons Fluxx.
Sir Ironside wrote:...and Fortress America. (Yes I have the game in great condition with all the parts. Got it for $50 on ebay a couple of years ago... so suck on that board game aficionado's)
Ugghh!!!! That is horrible and awesome at the same time. Awesome because you have a fantastic game and got it at a great price. Horrible because I don't have it! :cry:

Is it the Saddam cover or the other cover on the box?

For the record, I do own Axis & Allies (the big box), Axis & Allies: D-Day, Axis & Allies: Europe and Axis & Allies: Battle of the Bulge and the miniature game. Oh yes did I mention Conquest of the Empire same one I got for Christmas many years ago when it came out as well as Eagle Games new verison of Conquest of the Empire. Last but not least, I own Samurai Swords too. But again, none of that matters as I DON'T have Fotress America nor do I have Broadsides and Boarding Parties.

As a side note, for a great read on the Milton Bradley Power Series games, this is a great trip down memory lane:

http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles ... ster.shtml

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Oh hey, speaking of Axis & Allies, I was motivated to take a look at where I could find A&A: Guadalcanal and A&A: Pacific. Whilst I was meandering the internet, I saw that Avalon Hill has made A&A: 1940 Europe and A&A: 1940 Pacific, which like Eagle Games Attack! and Attack! Expansion can be combined to make a huge world board game. Naturally, with "streamline the game and correct balance issues" they are making A&A: 1940 Global which I would hazard will combine both boards. Anyone try these out yet?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

TheMetal1 wrote:Whilst I was meandering the internet, I saw that Avalon Hill has made A&A: 1940 Europe and A&A: 1940 Pacific, which like Eagle Games Attack! and Attack! Expansion can be combined to make a huge world board game...Anyone try these out yet?
IMO this is the best, and last version of A&A that should be played. This is A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1939 combined:

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

TheMetal1 wrote:For the record, I do own Axis & Allies (the big box), Axis & Allies: D-Day, Axis & Allies: Europe and Axis & Allies: Battle of the Bulge and the miniature game. Oh yes did I mention Conquest of the Empire same one I got for Christmas many years ago when it came out as well as Eagle Games new verison of Conquest of the Empire. Last but not least, I own Samurai Swords too. But again, none of that matters as I DON'T have Fotress America nor do I have Broadsides and Boarding Parties.
Out of all of the MB Gamemaster series games, Axis & Allies is the classic of th bunch, and probably the best. Conquest of the Empire (the original, non-Eagle Games version) and Shogun (Samurai Swords) are the next best of the games. Conquest is a beautiful game, and Shogun plays pretty pefectly. Fortress America is a fun game, but completely 1-sided as the USA almost always wins. Broadsides & Boarding Parties is sort of fun, has a tone of cool components, but ultimately not a very good game IMO.

Overall though, the Gamemaster Series is some of the best US boardgames of the era.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Dang Omote! That is one huge board. I think once they release A&A: Global 1940, I'll look into getting it rather than get 1940 Pacific and 1940 Europe. Though it is defintely tempting. Looks like when I finally do I'll have to have Table Trays for each player manage their pieces though, as there ain't much room left on the table!

nwelte1
Lore Drake

Post by nwelte1 »

Munchkin
Munchkin Quest
HeroQuest
Talisman
Runebound
Cave Troll
Dominion
Castle Ravenloft

I have to say, I just picked up Dominion. What an amazing game. Simple rules but amazingly complex possibilities. I looked at this game for many times and always put it back on the shelf because of the art. Finally decided to try it, and I was stunned by how fast and enjoyable the game was. Now if I could just beat my wife without having to use witches. I suffer from deck bloat.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

TheMetal1 wrote: Is it the Saddam cover or the other cover on the box?
Why yes... yes it is.
Omote wrote:Out of all of the MB Gamemaster series games, Axis & Allies is the classic of th bunch, and probably the best. Conquest of the Empire (the original, non-Eagle Games version) and Shogun (Samurai Swords) are the next best of the games. Conquest is a beautiful game, and Shogun plays pretty pefectly. Fortress America is a fun game, but completely 1-sided as the USA almost always wins. Broadsides & Boarding Parties is sort of fun, has a tone of cool components, but ultimately not a very good game IMO.
Can't argue there... still owning Fortress America is the second coolest and hard to get game other than those called Dune. I had Dune in the 80's and had I known it would be the Mecca of board games I wouldn't have parted with mine. ;)

rmckee78
Skobbit

Post by rmckee78 »

Arkham Horror
A hacked version of Descent where I use all the bits to play a simple Hero Quest like game with my 8 year old nephew

Melf
Ungern

Post by Melf »

I only played board games during my deployment (RPGs require prep and the same players consistently which wasn't going to be easy). We played:

San Juan (cards)
Dragon Lairds (Awesome Tom Wham and Jim Ward game)
Small World
Settlers of Cataan
Game of Thrones
Stone Age
Zombies (once- then i threw it in the trash)

Frank showed me a game called HIVE at Gary Con. It is a great little strategy game accessible to young and new (non) gamers. My wife likes it and my 4 year old daughter plays witha little help.

Dead Horse
Red Cap

Post by Dead Horse »

DC hero clix's
Some fantasty chariot racing game, the name escapes me...
Please don't beat me.
Not Worth Any Experiance Points Alive http://nwaepa.blogspot.com/

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

My group doesn't play a whole lot of board games, but I myself am looking forward to picking up Nexus Games' Letters from Whitechapel, probably at Gen Con. We test-played it last year and it was a blast.

Serial killings, prostitutes, and gratuitous headgames: Sounds like a family game night to me! :mrgreen:
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

magick3six
Ungern

Post by magick3six »

Because of GaryCon, my son fell in love with many, and we just picked up and started playing the following:

Talisman (my 1980s copy was dead)
Dragon Lairds (thanks to Jim Ward and Tom Wham for playing with my son at the Con, he loves the game)
Arkham Horror

I see many a night being spent on these.

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Resurrecting a dead thread... but I just got CutThroat Caverns and its first expansion... can't wait to play with the family this weekend. Looks deviously fun... :)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Closest I have played to a board game lately is the Dungeon Dice game. Not awesome, but a fun way to pass the time.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Played King of Tokyo recently:

http://www.beastsofwar.com/board-games/ ... ing-tokyo/

Simple enough for kids, fun for adults too, at least for a diversion.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Treebore wrote:Closest I have played to a board game lately is the Dungeon Dice game. Not awesome, but a fun way to pass the time.
Back in the late 1990's (I think) there was Dragon Dice. And, as far as I could tell, I was the only one that really liked that game. :D

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Sir Ironside wrote:
Treebore wrote:Closest I have played to a board game lately is the Dungeon Dice game. Not awesome, but a fun way to pass the time.
Back in the late 1990's (I think) there was Dragon Dice. And, as far as I could tell, I was the only one that really liked that game. :D
I still have my yellow Dragon bag on my desk stuffed full of Dragon Dice.