What Board/Card Games Are You Playing?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Re: What Board/Card Games Are You Playing?

Post by Sir Ironside »

Relaxo wrote:Who else has made the mistake of playing Axis and Allies until one side is annihilated instead of ending at the victory conditions? Talk about a boring slog. ugh!
I played A&A a lot and we never mistakenly played without victory conditions, but we did try it once and quickly realized the
importance of the rule.

One thing I can say, is the original game we eventually broke, to where you play the axis a certain way and they'll win all the time. The only way that this wouldn't happen is if the axis players rolled horrendously throughout the game. Which made the game unplayable.

A few years back I played the newer version and that problem had seemingly been fixed. Now I simply have no one to play with.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Sir Ironside wrote:
Relaxo wrote:Who else has made the mistake of playing Axis and Allies until one side is annihilated instead of ending at the victory conditions? Talk about a boring slog. ugh!
I played A&A a lot and we never mistakenly played without victory conditions, but we did try it once and quickly realized the
importance of the rule.

One thing I can say, is the original game we eventually broke, to where you play the axis a certain way and they'll win all the time. The only way that this wouldn't happen is if the axis players rolled horrendously throughout the game. Which made the game unplayable.

A few years back I played the newer version and that problem had seemingly been fixed. Now I simply have no one to play with.
I played the original back in 1990. My group went to Gen Con that year and played in the A&A tournament. We thought we were pretty hot stuff. One of our group had figured out an opening for Russia that guaranteed an Allied win about 50% of the time (depending on the success of dice rolls; even if the rolls went badly so that victory wasn't guaranteed, the Allies were still in very good shape). Turns out we were amateurs. The people in the tournament had worked out a superior invasion strategy for Russia's first move that guaranteed an Allied victory close to 100% of the time. We were on the right track, but hadn't quite pinned it down. The tournament was a farce. The Allies won every round. I guess that's why the game included an optional rule prohibiting Russia from attacking on its first turn. I don't think we played A&A straight after that, although I did pick up an alternate set of rules starting the game in 1939 with a lot more units on the board. That made the game fun again.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

If you like Axis and Allies but want a little more "wargamey" WWII game without a steep learning curve check out Band of Brothers Ghost Panzer. That is a solid game with fairly light rules that convey the wargame feel without the overhead of monster games like ASL and the like. It's set on the Eastern front during WWII and is loads of fun. The original Band of Brothers game, Screaming Eagles is also quite awesome and set on the Western front but is quite hard to locate unless you want to do your game via Vassal. There is a full module for both games with permission given by the game designer and publisher.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Played several games of Monty Pythons Fluxx, in addition to getting a game in with C&C for the first time with some family (Blacktooth Ridge and the search for the twins) Awesome.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Played through a game of the Cthulhu version of Gloom. Again. It had its moments.

The rules need clarity.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

At the weekly summer sale we grabbed another copy of Boss Monster and its expansion. I figure it will be more fun to mix in the non-hero cards for added non-variety.

Also snapped B1/B2 for Cutthroat Caverns which is an OK game. Definitely missing some Warhammer Quest, though.

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Just finished another game of Lords of Waterdeep with my wife. She beat me... AGAIN. She's up like 5 to 1... I can't chalk it up to "beginners luck" at this point... :) But it's a blast because we've found a game she loves (and not just because she wins every time). Every game plays differently and it only takes about an hour to complete. Love this game.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

recently, I'm a little obsessed with Nine Men's Morris (of all things) and this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_game
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Played a 2-Player game of Dungeon Roll. Learned a few things in the process.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Finally got a chance to play Munchkin last night after a Classic Traveller session. I've been wanting to try Munchkin out for a long time. It was pretty damn fun. Screwing over your fellow players is a special thrill. I was winning when we had to call it a night, but I've no doubt karma was just about to come around and bite me in the butt.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

Played a couple of games of Roll for the Galaxy last night - it's fun and different enough from Race for the Galaxy to feel entirely like a new game, but also familiar.
~DMSamuel
---
Actual Play C&C in Aihrde: Epi 1, Epi 2
Actual Play Podcast (5e): D&DeBrief

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Played a bit of Red Dragon Inn.

Not fun with 2 people. The gambling element is completely pointless. With multiple people, sure, it could be fun, but with only 2... half the deck was discarded.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Been giving Legendary a try. Enjoying it so far.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

serleran wrote:Played a bit of Red Dragon Inn.

Not fun with 2 people. The gambling element is completely pointless. With multiple people, sure, it could be fun, but with only 2... half the deck was discarded.
I've never played with 2 people... but 4 is definitely fun. We had a real good time with the game. The group even made it a real drinking game as we played (I don't drink so I just watched and laughed). :)

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I just played a game of Risk last night in I don't know how long. Had a pretty good time, too. We gave on of the people at the table a copy of Once Upon A Time from Atlas Games as a late Christmas present so I have a feeling at the next game night, in a couple of weeks, we'll be playing that. :)
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

narpet wrote:
serleran wrote:Played a bit of Red Dragon Inn.

I've never played with 2 people... but 4 is definitely fun. We had a real good time with the game. The group even made it a real drinking game as we played (I don't drink so I just watched and laughed). :)
Yeah, it looks like it could be a fun game with 4 (or more) players. We did buy all the expansions and the "ally" packs. Not a drinker myself, but the regular gaming people are... maybe make it like a virgin game of quarters. Hmm. Potential.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Just found my sets of BANG! and Pimp: the Backhanding in storage. Awww yeah.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I'm sitting on several that still need to be more than once (Firefly, A&A WWI, Alien Frontiers, etc.) I also have some that need to be played for the first time Descent (latest edition), several Munchkin sets, all of the Firefly board game expansions, etc. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. I played the odd game of A&A with some friends last year, as well as a session of the new Fortress America, several games of Quicksilver (a good lesser-known game by Split Second Games), and the classic Circus Maximus (Avalon Hill).

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Played Elder Sign with work friends tonight. There were 5 of us and it was fun, but not great. When I've played it in the past, it's just been 2 people, and the game was much more fun. We didn't really have that much trouble beating the game with 5 people. It was more challenging and fun with just 2.

Have others experienced this with Elder Sign?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

We almost played Boss Monster but the group decided to play something else. Oh well.

As for Elder Sign... I don't have that experience, but I've only played it once, with 2 people. Definitely challenging, but I can't confirm it remains or changes with addition of more people.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Did I mention my most recent game? Continuing play today hopefully. Battle of the Five Armies by Ares. Yes, that BoFA. :) Pretty good so far. Same designers as Fantasy Flight Games' War of the Rings. Also a good game. Not sure what happened but in recent years, FFG lost or gave up the LOTR/Hobbit properties. Ares has as a War of the Ring (2nd edition). Not sure what the changes are between the two editions. Either way, BoFA has been fun so far. Not a level 10 1960's war game difficulty, but not an out of the box Axis and Allies experience either.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Does Texas Hold 'Em count? I've been playing in a weekly game for the past 10 years. If only I could find a ftf C&C game that would last that long. I guess the online game for the past 7-8 years will continue to do the trick.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Cracked out Lord of the Rings LCG. I've got the two Hobbit Expansions and the Starter Box set. We've played through all 3 scenarios of the starter box, and were victorious, but we realized we played the last scenario a bit wrong (didn't bring in the necromancer). So last week, we tried it again. It's listed as the hardest of the 3 scenarios and true to form it was a butt-kicker. I was playing the starter Lore Deck and my wife was playing starter Tactics Deck. Got close, nearing the end of the 2nd card of the scenario, but couldn't make it happen. A fun game out of the box and highly recommended. We haven't gotten into the Deck Building aspect as we're really just casual players, but a lot of options out there.

Also have D&D Attack Wing on the Table that I've been playing around with.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Kung Fu Fighting
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Legendary Encounters - The Aliens Deck Building Game.
Using the Legendary deck building rules, the game takes a turn in the Aliens universe using characterms like Warrent Officer Ellen Ripley, Dallas, Cain, Corporal Hicks, Hudson, Bishop, etc. It's a very cool version of the Legendary system.

~⊙
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

One of our Troll fans bought a copy of the Aliens game ata convention I attended. I tend to shy away from card games, but it looks tempting because of the subject matter.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

We played a few romps through Castle Ravenloft. One game, we got into the third room before we died. Another, we were done in by back-to-back traps, and no rogue to disarm them easily. The last one, with just a cleric and wizard, we did pretty well... and then, just as victory was nigh, we died.

I imagine, with more players, it is much harder. The lack of healing (there is some, but woefully low) is beyond the pale though strategy becomes much more important... the fighter and wizard must work together to save the cleric, and the cleric must save the others; and, never go in without a rogue.

So, for archetype strengthening, that's good. The ranger is pretty cool, but I think the rogue has the best, overall, abilities.

I think my wife now wants to get the others in the series, since they can be interlinked.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I finally had a chance to play a full game of Eclipse. I bought it for at least 20 or 30 dollars off or retail at a silent auction last year. Asmodee is the company that puts this one out. It's essentially a somewhat shorter (play time) version of FFG's Twighlight Imperium. Unfortunately, I have only played TI a time or two in the past. Both games have the galactic factions (humans/aliens), colonization, tech developments, combat, etc. Some of TI's components are a smidge better, but Eclipse isn't far behind in that department. At the end of the day both games are similar, but different in other ways. I recommend both. Look forward to buying the Elcipse expansion, as well as TI, and the expansions for that game.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

the wife got my daughter and me Machi Koro for Valentine's day, and we played about a dozen games that first weekend. it's a slick fun game with a lot more depth than is obvious at first. Highly recommended.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781