What gaming stuff are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Treebore
Mogrl

Re: What gaming stuff are you reading?

Post by Treebore »

Reading Savage Worlds stuff, since those are most of the games I am playing this weekend at Rin Con. I will also be playing Wings of War WW 1, and a couple of other things, but mostly Savage Rifts.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Reading the 2016 "The Dark Eye" Core Rules: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/185074/Th ... Core-Rules

This is an RPG popular in Germany, perhaps you could call it the "German D&D". It's called Das Schwarze Auge which is literally "The Black Eye" but since that means something else in English, we call it The Dark Eye. (In Germany someone who gets punched in the face has a bruised eye, not a black eye.) The game has a gazillion supplements.

Anyway, you either had to speak German, or read one of the periodically produced translations, to play or run this. It was also the subject of a few computer games that were translated to English (some were pretty fun.)

This most recent English translation is the clearest yet and well-produced. The system has attributes, skills, and skill packages, and is at the same time familiar and weird. You roll 1d20 to make an attribute check (roll under), and add bonuses to the stat. Skill checks are always against 3 stats (you use these for just about everything). There are rules for critical successes and failures and with skills you have to roll two 1s or two 20s to succeed or fail critically.

The world of TDE (Aventuria) is very rich and has a lot of history, and can be overwhelming to learn about, but the book does an admirable job of presenting it. The Game Master does have to make an investment in understanding the various realms and their peoples (several cultures for each of the standard races, humans, elves, half-elves, dwarves).

This is just the core rules. This game has been constantly evolving for many years so further supplements will be coming out.

Looks cool, I hope I get to play it someday.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

Reading 1st edition AD&D Players Handbook (Premium reprints). I have read this book before, but am going through it again...taking a trip down memory lane!

Lots of interesting things in the book that I either never noticed before or glossed over.

Re: Dark Eye...

I played a demo of it during Free RPG Day this year. It was a neat game and I am glad I got a chance to play. It was a fun experience but I did not have a desire to purchase books for it after playing it. The dice mechanic was neat, but a little too crunchy/gamey for my tastes.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm digging through the D&D 5e core books and official WizBro releases for it. Plus a lot of the things they've released via their website.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Doing another read-through of Dungeon World in hopes of running a face to face game starting in December. I'm also dipping in and out of the C&C PHB while I run my C&C PBP over on RPoL.net.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

My Crypts and Things POD arrived today.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Lone Wolf ~ Heroes of Magnamund

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Perusing Unearthed Arcana again. I always enjoy reading the character class descriptions and low level spells. And of course, . . . APPENDIX T: POLE ARMS!

Great stuff in this book.

:P
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Aergraith wrote:My Crypts and Things POD arrived today.
What's it like Aergraith? I gotta say I'm intrigued, the cover art alone has got me interested.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Rhuvein wrote:Perusing Unearthed Arcana again. I always enjoy reading the character class descriptions and low level spells. And of course, . . . APPENDIX T: POLE ARMS!

Great stuff in this book.

:P
I'm also an Unearthed Arcana guy, love that book! :)

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Reading "The Hero's Journey" by James M. Spahn. The title is evocative of Joseph Campbell's monomyth. It's yet another Swords and Wizardry Whitebox remix, representing James Spahn's own preferred house rules for the S&W game.
  • Michael Herrmann cover art which is very much influenced by Tolkien's 1937 Hobbit cover. If you get the book from Lulu in color, it's very well done.
  • Picture of Gygax as a gnome-like fellow on the back cover, reminiscent of the Dungeon Master from the D&D cartoon.
  • Again, if you get the color hardcover from Lulu, it's got a 6x9 1/2" form factor that is convenient on a small table and for carrying around.
  • 14 classes, 6 races.
  • Lots of house rules sprinkled around, in callout boxes.These could have been published in their own supplement I think, but many of them are interesting and the sorts of things one might encounter in real-world table rules.
  • Appearance, Luck attributes. Willpower replaces Wisdom.
  • Professions, and these determine starting gold.
  • Myth points let magickal arms and armor improve with the character's deeds and reputation.
  • Armor provides damage reduction.
The monster catalog section should be familiar to anyone who plays S&W, and is only very lightly illustrated. Besides those illustrations, the classes are illustrated from some Elmore portraits you may have encountered before: I think WotC had them as a free download for a while.

If you get the color edition, chapters have a color (browns and red) picture and title, resembling the front cover. Lists in are gold and white background, with blue background header, and headings are blue. The top of each page has the chapter number and title in a blue gradient banner. The call-outs are in a light gradient blue box. Monster, character, race, and item illustrations are not in color, however, so if that helps you make your decision, you can get the B&W version for less.

James Spahn runs Barrel Rider Games, and has also produced White Star, which is OD&D meets Star Wars, and the White Box Omnibus, which has additional classes and items for S&W White Box.

I have too many retroclones and remixes of those retroclones, but that's not the fault of Mr. Spahn. I like the book and am glad I got it, and would consider it as replacement rules for an epic Swords and Wizardry game.

PDF: (Pay What You Want) http://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/4417/B ... oleplaying
Color (39.99) http://www.lulu.com/shop/james-spahn/th ... 75076.html
B&W (29.99) http://www.lulu.com/shop/james-spahn/th ... 42669.html

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

This is the first year in a long time I didn't ask for any gaming stuff for Christmas. I pretty much have everything I need. I don't want more modules, I don't need campaign aids, I don't need rules expansions, and I sure as bleep don't need any more retroclones. I've narrowed my gaming down to pretty much C&C and Dungeon World. I guess there are a few Powered by the Apocalypse games I'd like to pick up at some point, but I'm not wanting for anything. It's a weird feeling. I guess I am officially outside the 18-39 year old male demographic. I am a seller's worst nightmare.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Buttmonkey wrote:This is the first year in a long time I didn't ask for any gaming stuff for Christmas. I pretty much have everything I need. I don't want more modules, I don't need campaign aids, I don't need rules expansions, and I sure as bleep don't need any more retroclones. I've narrowed my gaming down to pretty much C&C and Dungeon World. I guess there are a few Powered by the Apocalypse games I'd like to pick up at some point, but I'm not wanting for anything. It's a weird feeling. I guess I am officially outside the 18-39 year old male demographic. I am a seller's worst nightmare.
Yeah, I am physically out of space and chronologically out of time for all of these games. But there's always one more. Especially the fringe retroclones I'll never play, because they are 90% similar to C&C anyway and we'll just play that.

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

Still trying to get through Bluffside, which I bought a few months ago. I'm not disappointed with it, but
it's not quite as interesting as I expected.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I didn't ask, or get, gaming stuff for Christmas either. I buy what I want, when I want anyways, so kind of pointless. So instead I got a programmable robot to play with. My youngest got one too, so I suspect at some point we will be engaging in some robot wars.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

maximus wrote:Still trying to get through Bluffside, which I bought a few months ago. I'm not disappointed with it, but
it's not quite as interesting as I expected.
The biggest reason I like Bluffside is because its a location I myself would probably never have had enough imagination to create. Now I do not like it 100% as written, but I do see myself using it between 80 to 90% as written.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

For me, I have been perusing my collection of Helfrost books that I got for Christmas. I'm really digging the setting. I alternate between those and Adventures in Middle-Earth Players Guide. And, I just picked up Erebor for The One Ring, so I'm sure that'll get into the rotation, too.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

I'm reading The Spider God's Bride for the Legend/Runequest RPG. It's a sourcebook/adventure collection for the World of Xoth.

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

Just picked up A2 - A4 from the old Slavers Series. Going back through to see if I can incorporate these into the next part of my campaign.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Read through the new Eclipse Phase Argonauts supplement. Only about 23 pages, so was a quick read.

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

maximus wrote:
Treebore wrote:
maximus wrote:
Treebore wrote:
maximus wrote:Reading up on UK1, The Sentinel. Its next up for the group.
The Gauntlet and Sentinel are among my all time favorites..
I don't remember these coming out in the 80's. I was looking for an inbetween adventure to get my group to level up to 5th or so, and this one looked perfect. Since my version of the Keep is in the Southwest area of the Yeomanry anyway, the area fits great. I'll let you know how it goes!
The Keep always ends up becoming owned by someone in the party, if not the whole party. Assuming they survive the army! Plus about a half dozen or so monsters made their premiere in these two modules. All of which I believe are in the 1E Fiend Folio. :twisted:
Should finish the Sentinel this weekend, so I'm reading up on the Gauntlet. The keep looks like a tough fight.
So over a year later we finally finished the Sentinel and are almost through the Gauntlet. Its been very funny watching my son react to some monsters he's never encountered before. The look on his face when the random troll parts started to crawl together was priceless. He's just let the firegiantess loose, but is having a heck of a time figuring what to do next. He has the whole party in a circle around the room, so the necklace of missles they found won't do them any good.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Over the Edge, because I'm currently running a game. Chill 1e/Pacesetter, Ltd. games. And Golden Heroes/Squadron UK (finally managed to get my grubby mitts on the 1st edition of SqUK), because it's my latest retro obsession.
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I've been reading through my Savage Worlds Rifts printed material. Seriously looking forward to running this for the Thursday Group I am in. Maybe I can even get the Monday group to play it some time.

I have also been reading through the 2d20 Conan PDF's as they have been released. Really good Conan material, and I think their system is very workable.

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

Got my M&T of Aihrde last week. I browsed through it over the weekend. Planning on digging in later this week.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

maximus wrote:Got my M&T of Aihrde last week. I browsed through it over the weekend. Planning on digging in later this week.
Started reading this today, I am really digging the new monsters and addtional material for the pre existing monsters. I think the new material adds a lot to give them a unique feel within the setting of Aihrde.

I also DLed and started reading the new Inzae/Bergholt booklet, and am really enjoying all the detail Davis put into it, and enjoying his apparent love of Tea. Which you should get once you see how many tea houses he has in Bergholt, and what drinking various Teas can do for your characters. For a price.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I should also mention since I also play in a Tribes 8 and Cthulhu 7th edition game each week, I have been reading that material, to get up to speed on what I need to know to play those games. Finally created my first Cthulhu character for 7E last week. Last time I did that was for 6E 4 or 5 years back.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Rhuvein wrote:Re-reading Tainted Lands. I had forgotten about this box in my closet and pretty much forgotten most everything about the material. So far, lots of kick ass stuff. I think I'd like to run a small one off to sort of playtest it. In reading, I still can't tell how it would play or appeal to others.

But I need to finish and digest it all before I decide if I like this box or not.

:)
Hehe, two years later - I pulled this out again and have been giving this a closer look.

It's really fantastic and very interesting . . .

4 new char classes with cool/powerful abilities (yer gonna them in this deadly world).
2 new char attributes - supernatural and psychic.
Once in the Tainted Lands changes occur to the PCs (physical as well as attributes and other class adjustments).
Interesting spells, magic items and weapons.
And lots more!

4 stars out of 4, IMO.

Well done, Jim Ward.

8-)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

The Goodman Games reprint of Judges Guild stuff, the Collection Volume I. The coffee table book is massive -- literally coffee table. Mostly got it to have real play copies.

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

serleran wrote:The Goodman Games reprint of Judges Guild stuff, the Collection Volume I. The coffee table book is massive -- literally coffee table. Mostly got it to have real play copies.
This looks great. Unfortunately I never played any of the old JG stuff when it came out. I bought Tegel Manor a few months ago, but would like Dark Tower and Caverns of Thracia as well. Maybe this is a good place to start?