What gaming stuff are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Re: What gaming stuff are you reading?

Post by TheMetal1 »

Was reading FGG Cyclopean Deeps, and skimming throw Lejendary Adventures (C&C Version). Mutant Epoch and Twilight 2000 (4e) is on deck.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson. I was in the mood for a classic.

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

Rise of the Drow, for 5th ed, with an eye towards starting it in C&C in a few weeks. Half price Christmas sale, woot.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

This is not so much me -- I gave my wife a case of minis for The Wild Beyond the Witchlight (hoping to get a few of the select, specific, figures without paying for them individually) and she was glad, but didn't really know what 95% of them were or why they were "needed" so, she bought herself the module and is reading that, hinting that she may want to eventually play it.

Me, I'm reading a ton of Shadowrun 3rd, 4th, and 5th edition stuff she got me for my birthday. Nearly have completed the collection.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Ancalagon wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:37 pm
<snip>
C&C PHB 8th printing
HarnMaster rules
HarnWorld - Kingdom of Kanday setting
B/X D&D
Updated as follows:
HackMaster Basic
C&C PHB 8th printing
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I've had this week stuck at home due to COVID quarantine, so I had LOTS of time to do some reading

Main focus was working on my home brew mash up of C&C with Hero's Journey. SO lots of reading and comparing on the C&C PHB and Hero's Journy 2e

Lots of great ideas that can easily be stripped down and bolted onto C&C's siege rules. Well the magic is not so easy, but I'm working on it ...

After that a deep dive into my home brew economics coin etc ( I've never liked the normal D&D settings' coin of 1g =10 s & 10 coins = 1 lb). So I've been flipping through Orbis Mundi, Magic Society's Silk Road & Western Europe, and Phalanx Games' Marketplace
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Stopped by my not-so-local-or-friendly game store and discovered they had a few tables up with "after-holiday" sales items, most of which were old RPG things. Mostly everything was $5 each with a few being a little cheaper. So, I grabbed these:

Ars Magica
Ars Magica (Core Book)
The Pact of Pasaquine

Generic Fantasy (Pre-OSR)
Campaign Book Volume I: Fantasy [White Wolf]
Dragons of Weng T’Sen [Mayfair – Role Aids]
O1: Harbinger of Darkness [Underworld]
P2: Gladestrom [Underworld]

HERO/Champions
Alien Enemies
Challenges for Champions
Classic Enemies
Classic Organizations
Cyber Hero
Denizens of San Angelo
Enemies of San Angelo
Ninja Hero
Red Doom
Robot Gladiators
San Angelo: City of Heroes
Scourge from the Deep
Target Hero

SLA Industries (2nd edition)
SLA Industries
SLA Industries GM’s Pack

TORG
Los Angeles Citybook
The Delphi Council Worldbook – Volume I

Miscellaneous
Rϋs
The Munchkin’s Guide to Power Gaming
WarpWorld

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Dragons of Weng T'sen is pretty fun. Still have my original copy.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Came across a translated Light Novel and the Manga version of same yesterday. I really recommend giving it a look since it has several rather innovative ideas in how rural villages operate such as waste disposal (broken items, expired potions, etc. and how they can be a resource for the very poor starting out as adventurers), dried meat procurement, reserving areas for adventurers with little or no money to camp complete with a simple field kitchen (think BBQ pit at a State Park kinda thing)...and so forth. The story is fairly basic, but the character interactions based on professions is good NPC reference; such as a low level fortune teller being critical in telling farmers when to harvest a certain fruit before it rots.

The name of the story is "The Weakest Tamer Trash Picking Journey Begins"
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Judges Guild The Dark Tower as part of my game prep for my Sunday online C&C game.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Ancalagon wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:25 am
Ancalagon wrote:
<snip>
C&C PHB 8th printing
HarnMaster rules
B/X D&D
Updated as follows:
HackMaster Basic
C&C PHB 8th printing
Updated as follows:
C&C PHB 8th printing
Against the DarkMaster
Chivalry and Sorcery Essence
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Flipping through some new FASA stuff, like 1879 and newly printed Earthdawn stuff. Sad they no longer own Shadowrun but that's OK - 1879 is interesting, just not the same.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Just got The One Ring 2nd edition RPG as KS-backer. The books look good and there is some nice lore, but the mechanics are absolute garbage. We were going to convert it over to White Box, which we still may do. Might also use C&C, but just eliminate certain classes.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Received my copy of the Kickstarter Muspelhell.

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford »

I should be reading LOTS of things in my bookshelf. An absolute ton of it has only been browsed, or specific parts read, such as enough of the rules to get going with running/playing it, but not the entire book.

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

I'm combing through the Black Grimoire for spell ideas

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Just got Cairn of the Skeleton King and Tower of Blood from Black blade publishing. Hope to incorporate these into my current campaign.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Apparently my wife decided to be nice to me and had backed the KS for Judges Guild Volume 2 (proceeds of which do not go to JG but to charity, for those who might otherwise be offended) which is basically a compilation of Jaquay's works, all of which I had, but now in a huge coffee table book format inside a nice and sexy slipcase. At that size, I can easily read it. Yay!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm tearing into C&C modules C3 and C4 in preporations of an Arihde campaign I'm starting.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Just got Adventurers Spellbook, Gods & Legends, Guilds & Orders, Quick Threats & Side Treks, plus all the Codices today in the mail. That should provide enough gaming reading for the next couple months at least. Will start with the Spellbook.

Currently writing a campaign sequel to one I finished writing a long time ago but we never finished playing. And I will likely revise the original one too. This inspired me to grab all the codices, since they both involve apocalyptic events, devils, gods, etc. Brainstorming ways on how to bring lots of published material in as well. Lots of fun even if it's a little too ambitious.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Ancalagon wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:57 am
Ancalagon wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:25 am
Ancalagon wrote:
<snip>
C&C PHB 8th printing
HarnMaster rules
B/X D&D
Updated as follows:
HackMaster Basic
C&C PHB 8th printing
Updated as follows:
C&C PHB 8th printing
Against the DarkMaster
Chivalry and Sorcery Essence
Updated as follows:
Kingdom of Melderyn (HarnWorld)
C&C PHB 8th printing
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I'm about to launch a Gamma World 2E campaign, so I'm reading through my GW 2E materials.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Adventurer's Spellbook in preparation for my home campaign which will pick up in May.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Just some recent purchases.

d20 Conversion Manual, because for some reason I did not yet have it.

Rage of the Rakasta because tiger people. Weird, I thought that was all I bought but discovered that it came along with The Knight of Newts and Sword and Shield as well. Good deal then.

Heroes' Lorebook as it is somewhat interesting to watch the power progression of certain NPCs like Drizzle Do'orDie.

And something that looks like Mad Max married Kobolds Ate My Baby! but with a different, personal favorite, species: goblins. It is called Gobblin'. I have not finished it but with a name like that, I just had to get it.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Persimmon wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:35 am
Just got The One Ring 2nd edition RPG as KS-backer. The books look good and there is some nice lore, but the mechanics are absolute garbage. We were going to convert it over to White Box, which we still may do. Might also use C&C, but just eliminate certain classes.
I'm there with you on that. The Book looks amazing and great background and ideas to mine, But I can't gork the rules ... To fit my idea of a good Tolkienish game I've mushed C&C and Hero's Journey together (and thrown in bits and pieces from other places for flavor and spice). The races and classes seemed to work well after a one off try, but I still need to work on the magic (or do better on controlling the spell groups the character has).

As for what I'm reading, I'm doing a deep dive in Mongoose Traveller v1 and v2 and Traveller 2300 with some Hostile thrown in. I'd like to do a Traveller game with the setting being "30 Parsecs from the Sun" flavored with some Expanse (the lower tech and the politics not the proto-molecule). So, I'm reworking the careers mishaps and events. Eventually I'll have to do some Expanse type ships, but I have to get a lot more knowledgeable with Traveller High guard before that.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Lurker wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:42 am
Persimmon wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:35 am
I'm there with you on that. The Book looks amazing and great background and ideas to mine, But I can't gork the rules ... To fit my idea of a good Tolkienish game I've mushed C&C and Hero's Journey together (and thrown in bits and pieces from other places for flavor and spice). The races and classes seemed to work well after a one off try, but I still need to work on the magic (or do better on controlling the spell groups the character has).
Yeah, to me The One Ring feels very much like a board game. Way too much roll playing and note nearly enough roleplaying. This is ironic, given what they claim they want to do.

BigJackBrass
Mist Elf

Post by BigJackBrass »

A brush with Covid laid me low for weeks and left me unable to focus on anything for several months; even now I’m not back to normal. Still, I’ve recovered enough to start a thorough read-through of the Victorious rulebook, which I’m very much enjoying.

My group started playing it a few weeks ago and hit all sorts of problems with the editing, explanations and errors, which had some of the players (and the GM!) starting to convert their characters to GURPS with the intention of changing systems. I wasn’t in a fit state to tackle it then but now I’ve worked through most of the problems and either found the answers or come up with a temporary fix, so I think the game is secure for now. Hope so, as I’ve really enjoyed playing.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

BigJackBrass wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:45 pm
A brush with Covid laid me low for weeks and left me unable to focus on anything for several months; even now I’m not back to normal. Still, I’ve recovered enough to start a thorough read-through of the Victorious rulebook, which I’m very much enjoying.

My group started playing it a few weeks ago and hit all sorts of problems with the editing, explanations and errors, which had some of the players (and the GM!) starting to convert their characters to GURPS with the intention of changing systems. I wasn’t in a fit state to tackle it then but now I’ve worked through most of the problems and either found the answers or come up with a temporary fix, so I think the game is secure for now. Hope so, as I’ve really enjoyed playing.
First, hope you keep feeling better. My first go around with COVID had me fighting fatigue for months.

I will say that I tend not to be a fan of Super Hero games. The normally are not my preferred games. However, I have both played and ran Victorious. Not just in the by the book setting but in modern setting and a fantasy setting too. I enjoyed them ALL.

As for the editing errors .... rgr on them being and issue. No easy fix there ... But as you are seeing, if you get around the editing issues it is an amazing game and setting.

C&C Society

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Basic Fantasy Equipment Emporium and Basic Fantasy Field Guide (print versions for both)

Picked up the Sly Flourish bundle on Bundle of Holding, so lots to read there.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

My wife gave me a present and inside it were 40th anniversary reprints of original Call of Cthulhu, 1st edition, so basically identical copies of the first 1" box and its follow-up smaller one. I had them already but the reprints will give me an excuse to actually use them, maybe. I actually prefer my printing that came printed upside down and reversed - a "flaw" I hoped was intentional to decrease my SAN, but unfortunately was not per the Chaosium rep I spoke to about it.

Anyway, CoC is good times.