What gaming stuff are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Treebore
Mogrl

Re: What gaming stuff are you reading?

Post by Treebore »

maximus wrote:, so I'm reading up on the Gauntlet. The keep looks like a tough fight.
It is. They will need good teamwork and a bit of luck to get through it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Cyclopean Deeps 2. Finished CD1 and started on 2. Less Drow and more Weird - Denizens of Leng, Dark Stalkers, and other such things.

Black Monastery. Just barely scratched the surface on this one.

Frost Grave. Read through it, now going back over the stuff I skimmed - spells, scenarios. All in a good easy to do d20 war-band miniature system.
Kings of War: Uncharted Empires. Reading the fluff of the new armies.
Deadzone. Reading thru the rules. Yeah mantic is now in the beta of a 2nd edition of the rules. Oh well.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I really enjoyed running Black Monastery...
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Treebore wrote:I really enjoyed running Black Monastery...
Yeah, it seems like a really interesting adventure. I was captivated by the write up on Frog God Games webstore page on it. So when a sale came around I figured I'd pick it up. I may fit it in at some point in my C&C campaign, as I like the suggestion of it appearing and disappearing. Why not reappear in Ahirde?! I figure with Gaxmoor and the Black Monastery I'll give my players a choice:

Rumors abound at Bent Hook in Botkinburg (also called Ortloff's House of Sludge) that not one but 2 cities have magically appeared across the Hursen River. One is an ancient city the other a dark obsidian castle structure.

Of course they still haven't moved on to A2: The Slag Heap. Barldus Mikenfird, is known as the "Blue Tunic Man" and escaped their clutches in the Varbgolg. They've been hunting him for some time. We'll see what they do!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Black?

C&C Black Box for me.

Adventurers Backpack :arrow: excellente!

:)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

More RIFTS. Need more. Need brutal campaign to prove player mettle. RIFTS.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Tree, I noticed you picked up more Savage Worlds goodies recently (Sixth Gun, The Last Parsec, etc.). I've met Cullen Bunn a few times or more. He's the author of the Sixth Gun comic (as well as some Deadpool, etc.). He's a roleplayer, and was familiar with C&C. He met the Trolls in Western Missouri years ago. I own 3 of the 4 books for Last Parsec, and I plan to get caught up on Savage Worlds this year.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

tylermo wrote:Tree, I noticed you picked up more Savage Worlds goodies recently (Sixth Gun, The Last Parsec, etc.). I've met Cullen Bunn a few times or more. He's the author of the Sixth Gun comic (as well as some Deadpool, etc.). He's a roleplayer, and was familiar with C&C. He met the Trolls in Western Missouri years ago. I own 3 of the 4 books for Last Parsec, and I plan to get caught up on Savage Worlds this year.
Cool. Yeah, I got to play test the new Rifts while up in Ohio, ran by the lead author for the Rifts conversion, as well as other SW products (McFadden?), then the month before that I got to hang out with the creator of SW itself (Shane) up in Tucson, which appears can turn into a regular thing since he moved back to AZ. I have yet to run into any of the people directly involved in the creation of Last Parsec or Sixth Gun, though.

Pilgrim
Mist Elf

Post by Pilgrim »

In RPGs, I've been going through the core books for Symbaroum, Shadow of the Demon Lord, Mutant: Year Zero, and the revised Space 1889.

For miniatures its been the Frostgrave core book.
"Not all those who wander are lost." ~ JRR Tolkien

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I picked up Amazing Adventures this week and am trying to find time to read through it. Tree now tells me that a PDF of Victorious is waiting for me to look over, too. I'm supposed to start running a DCC RPG campaign on January 8th and need to finish absorbing those rules and put together an adventure in the next two weeks. I am screwed with too much gaming goodness.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Oh, crap! I just remembered I asked for some gaming stuff for Christmas. I'm probably going to be even more buried in gaming goodness tomorrow morning. I guess I'd rather have more gaming stuff than I can get through than no gaming stuff at all.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

My RPG infidelity continues. This week, I am in love with Savage Worlds. I've been reading the Deluxe rules as well as the 50 Fathoms book. Great stuff. Now, I just need to play it to find out if I really like it. I played in a Savage Worlds supers game at Gary Con last year and had a lot of fun, but didn't really know what I was doing. I also played in an original Deadlands event. I hated that one. It felt like Call of Cthulhu. Too much role playing for my taste, not enough kicking of ass. I'm not sure if that is a product of the original Deadlands setting, Deadlands in general (i.e., it carries over to Deadlands Reloaded), or Savage Worlds generally. The supers game I played was a lot more hack and slash, so I assume Savage Worlds plays the way you want it to, but maybe certain campaign setting assumptions push the game hard in one direction or the other. Deadlands Reloaded sounds very cool to me, but I do not want to get sucked into a CoC game.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Buttmonkey wrote:My RPG infidelity continues. This week, I am in love with Savage Worlds. I've been reading the Deluxe rules as well as the 50 Fathoms book. Great stuff. Now, I just need to play it to find out if I really like it. I played in a Savage Worlds supers game at Gary Con last year and had a lot of fun, but didn't really know what I was doing. I also played in an original Deadlands event. I hated that one. It felt like Call of Cthulhu. Too much role playing for my taste, not enough kicking of ass. I'm not sure if that is a product of the original Deadlands setting, Deadlands in general (i.e., it carries over to Deadlands Reloaded), or Savage Worlds generally. The supers game I played was a lot more hack and slash, so I assume Savage Worlds plays the way you want it to, but maybe certain campaign setting assumptions push the game hard in one direction or the other. Deadlands Reloaded sounds very cool to me, but I do not want to get sucked into a CoC game.

Yeah, it plays the way you want it to. Deadlands is fundamentally a Western with undead, magic, etc... It plays very similar to the Cortex system, with a few differences, so if you've played any of those enough to know the old Cortex system, you already have a decent idea fro how SW plays. Otherwise you have a very different mechanical "feel" to get used to.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Tree, I couldn't remember who was doing the Rifts conversion. As for Shane, I've met him many times. He's one of the nice guys in the industry. Of course, there'll end up being many contributors on these projects outside of the main author. As for parsec, several people were involved. Matt Cutter, Clint and Jodi Black, and several others. I've met many of them over the years.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Treebore wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:My RPG infidelity continues. This week, I am in love with Savage Worlds. I've been reading the Deluxe rules as well as the 50 Fathoms book. Great stuff. Now, I just need to play it to find out if I really like it. I played in a Savage Worlds supers game at Gary Con last year and had a lot of fun, but didn't really know what I was doing. I also played in an original Deadlands event. I hated that one. It felt like Call of Cthulhu. Too much role playing for my taste, not enough kicking of ass. I'm not sure if that is a product of the original Deadlands setting, Deadlands in general (i.e., it carries over to Deadlands Reloaded), or Savage Worlds generally. The supers game I played was a lot more hack and slash, so I assume Savage Worlds plays the way you want it to, but maybe certain campaign setting assumptions push the game hard in one direction or the other. Deadlands Reloaded sounds very cool to me, but I do not want to get sucked into a CoC game.

Yeah, it plays the way you want it to. Deadlands is fundamentally a Western with undead, magic, etc... It plays very similar to the Cortex system, with a few differences, so if you've played any of those enough to know the old Cortex system, you already have a decent idea fro how SW plays. Otherwise you have a very different mechanical "feel" to get used to.
I haven't played Cortex, but I have watched everything related to Buffy and Firefly, so maybe I can get by as if I had spent the night at a Holiday Inn Express.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Stars without number!

I must say that so far, I'm extremely impressed with this rpg. It's written very well and methinks it speaks to old schoolers and hopefully newer young gamers.

Penny ran our first game last night and it went exceedingly well!

:P
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rhuvein wrote:Stars without number!

I must say that so far, I'm extremely impressed with this rpg. It's written very well and methinks it speaks to old schoolers and hopefully newer young gamers.

Penny ran our first game last night and it went exceedingly well!

:P
Agreed. Really glad I finally get a chance to play this, and I am also liking how its going. Nice blend of the D20 and a 2D6 skill mechanic, plus I really like all the little systems he has put into it for creating Aliens, planets, systems, organizations, etc... Plus, with its strong OSR roots, I see it being very easy to convert to other RPG's, such as Traveller itself, or using C&C's SIEGE engine, and even combining it with Star SIEGE.

Well worth checking out, especially since they have a free PDF version.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Finally got through the DCC RPG rule book about a week ago. Reading rules is sometimes like pulling teeth for me and DCC RPG fell into this unfortunate category. I knuckled down last weekend and just got it done. Once I quit screwing around, the rules went down pretty easily. It's basically D&D, but with a semi-new and more interesting magic system. The rules just ooze its particular play style. You could play any game in the DCC style if you were motivated enough, but the DCC rules really build it in with a lot of charts and tables that generate results that are very inspiring. I'm looking forward to running it on Friday, although I'm more interested in Savage Worlds at the moment.

Boot Knife
Ungern

Post by Boot Knife »

I just got the Savage Worlds deluxe explorers core rule book and I like it so far. Along with it I got the sci-fi and super powers companion. I also picked up High-Space setting and rules for Savage Worlds. I'm really digging the sci-fi stuff. I hope my home group is up for it.
Resistance is futile.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The new EDITION of Mongoose Traveller. I posted my basic thoughts, so far, in the "Other Games" forum.

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

Engineering Dungeons & Engineering Castles. Picked them both up recently but haven't had time to really go through either until now.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

C&C flipbook
For crying out loud. Do your best with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

slimykuotoan wrote:C&C flipbook
Haven't you been reading that nearly every night since you got it?

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

I love it so; it's such a giant, spell-booky tome.
For crying out loud. Do your best with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

slimykuotoan wrote:I love it so; it's such a giant, spell-booky tome.
Exactly!

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

This is what I mean about this place. I just looked this up at lunch and now...? I MUST HAVE IT.

I really need some sort of alert on my smartphone for really cool gaming releases.

Thanks for sharing this, TheMetal1 and Tree!

EDIT: Forgot to ask, what version is better/easier to use with C&C: Swords & Wizardry or Pathfinder? I'd lean towards S&W myself (less bloat) but wanted to hear this group's answers.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

slimykuotoan wrote:C&C flipbook

Good stuff right there.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Zudrak wrote:
This is what I mean about this place. I just looked this up at lunch and now...? I MUST HAVE IT.

I really need some sort of alert on my smartphone for really cool gaming releases.

EDIT: Forgot to ask, what version is better/easier to use with C&C: Swords & Wizardry or Pathfinder? I'd lean towards S&W myself (less bloat) but wanted to hear this group's answers.
S&W is always easier. I get Pathfinder versions when I want a "palette" to select from to make creatures a little different every time I use them.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Zudrak wrote:

Go to the Frog God Games website and sign up for their e-mail where they send out daily deals on their PDF's, as well as Necromancer Games PDF's. For example, todays deal is Lost City of Barakus for $9.00.

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

That's a good deal on the Lost City. I just paid $ 30 for the d20 version.