What gaming stuff are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
AslanC
Ulthal

Post by AslanC »

So far it is the exact same game as the 80s version.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Visit the new BASH Forums!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

CharlieRock
Lore Drake

Post by CharlieRock »

Perusing through the Castle Whiterock box set. I think I'm going to lift level 3 (and 3A) for this weekend. It's going to be a "mysterious tower" sidequest.

Know your roll!

Philotomy Jurament
Ulthal

Post by Philotomy Jurament »

Trail of Cthulhu

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Dragon Warriors

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

CharlieRock
Lore Drake

Post by CharlieRock »

KoDT #152.

Know your roll!

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

The old 2nd Edition blue leatherette Campaign Sourcebook and Catacomb Guide. It always seemed the "odd man out" amongst the other DMGR's so I thought I'd give them little guy a read through. Actually it's been pretty nifty so far!

Also rotating between the 4th print C&C PHB and the 1st Edition AD&D modules N4 Treasure Hunt, G1-2-3 Against the Giants, and some of the UK series modules. My bedside stack is getting rather large.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Count Zero
Skobbit

Post by Count Zero »

Lord Dynel wrote:
The old 2nd Edition blue leatherette Campaign Sourcebook and Catacomb Guide. It always seemed the "odd man out" amongst the other DMGR's so I thought I'd give them little guy a read through. Actually it's been pretty nifty so far!

I've found that revisiting the older books as an adult has been much more fruitful. I get a lot more out of some of the books than I did as a teenager playing 2E. After starting a C&C campaign recently I began looking at my old books in a whole new light.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Count Zero wrote:
I've found that revisiting the older books as an adult has been much more fruitful. I get a lot more out of some of the books than I did as a teenager playing 2E. After starting a C&C campaign recently I began looking at my old books in a whole new light.

I agree, Zero. I, too, was a teen when 2nd Edition came out (15, to be exact) and while I did read certain books for sure, others kind of got left by the wayside. Picking them back up, years later, I finally think to myself (in some cases), " Dang, that's cool...I wish I would have know about that years ago!" Between the Sampaign Sourchebook and Catacomb Guide and The Castle Guide, I've been reading some good stuff!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Post by Christina Stiles »

Finishing Tales of Zobeck and reading the Pathfinder RPG.

The Misfit Troll Word Wrangler
www.christinastiles.com
www.misfit-studios.com
www.trolllord.com

capitalbill
Hlobane Orc

Post by capitalbill »

Re-reading some campaign setting material: Greyhawk folio, '83 Greyhawk box set, JG Blackmoor FFC, Airhde folio, CZY hardcover. Enjoying, researching, brainstorming, and weighing options all in one.

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Just got a copy of Labyrinth Lord (I had seen other people on here talking about it)... so I read through that last night.

I really like it... though I have to say that I'm still more into C&C. I may try to get my group to give it a go sometime after we finish our first C&C campaign. Of course, that could take years

CharlieRock
Lore Drake

Post by CharlieRock »

narpet wrote:
Just got a copy of Labyrinth Lord (I had seen other people on here talking about it)... so I read through that last night.

I really like it... though I have to say that I'm still more into C&C. I may try to get my group to give it a go sometime after we finish our first C&C campaign. Of course, that could take years

Does Labyrinth Lord have any published adventure modules? The conversion is easy and I could use them.

Know your roll!

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

CharlieRock wrote:
Does Labyrinth Lord have any published adventure modules? The conversion is easy and I could use them.

As far as I can tell they have a couple of published modules. You can find them here:
Labyrinth Lord PDF Stuff

or here for print stuff:
Labyrinth Lord Print Stuff

CharlieRock
Lore Drake

Post by CharlieRock »

Thanks, Narpet.

Know your roll!

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

Just got "The Original Bottle City" by Robert Kuntz. Sat down with a cup of coffee, laid out the map and went though it. Seriously cool old school module. It's going be a few years before I can use it but I'm looking forward some craziness.

I might have add the upper-level with hooks at the "personal bottles". Defeat that and you can find a way into the next level.

-Mike

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Grabbed some stuff off a guy on Dragonsfoot:

Planescape Campaign Setting Box Set

Well of Worlds

The Eternal Boundary

Fires of Dis

GAZ2: The Emirates of Ylaruam

H4: The Throne of Bloodstone

I10: Ravenloft II - The House on Gryphon Hill

UK1: Beyond the Crystal Cave

G2: The Glacial Rift of The Frost Giant Jarl (Mono)

D2: Shrine of The Kuo-Toa (Mono)

Hrolfgar
Red Cap

Post by Hrolfgar »

I've been reading Empire of the Petal Throne, the Different Worlds reprint from the '80's. Forgot I even had this book. This game was very similar to D&D. The game had rule for double damage on a "natural 20" .

Also the player could roll again and if a 19 or 20 is thrown the result is "instant death". Seems pretty deadly.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Empire of the Petal Throne, also knows as Tkumel, was part of D&D for a very brief period... or, maybe not "part of" but definitely released by TSR in the early early days, so sanctioned / licensed... which means "part of" to me, much like The Wilderlands was part of D&D. EPT eventually just sort of became its own thing, which is good for it, since I think it needed to stretch itself more.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Brand, spankin' new Space Hulk board game from Games Workshop. This game weighs in at 9.5 lbs. Wow, this game is toight.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

CharlieRock
Lore Drake

Post by CharlieRock »

Knights of the Dinner Table: Tales from the Vault vol.4

Know your roll!

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

FIght on! vol. 6

OSRIC print edition

and a passel of TLG mods I picked up recently, most notably A5 and A6

LordMidnight
Skobbit

Post by LordMidnight »

I've been reading and re-reading the Living Rulebook for Blood Bowl. I just can't get enough of this game! Even though I like 40K and Fantasy Battle, Blood Bowl ( + Heroclix) holds a special place in my geeky heart.

I am also glad that Heroclix is making a comeback. Perhaps after the Disney/Marvel-merger we'll receive some long awaited clix, like Donald Duck, Goofy, etc. I think Scrooge McDuck will be one hell of a clix! He'll beat the **** out of the Justice League and the Avengers.

Fantasy remains a human right: we make in our measure and in our derivative mode, because we are made: and not only made, but made in the image and likeness of a Maker. - J.R.R. Tolkien, On Fairy-Stories

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

serleran wrote:
Empire of the Petal Throne, also knows as Tkumel, was part of D&D for a very brief period... or, maybe not "part of" but definitely released by TSR in the early early days, so sanctioned / licensed... which means "part of" to me, much like The Wilderlands was part of D&D. EPT eventually just sort of became its own thing, which is good for it, since I think it needed to stretch itself more.

But EPT had it's own character generation system - similiar but definitely different from D&D - and was confined to a single, author created world. D&D was more DIY. EPT was actually the first RPG I ever played - had some great times in the dungeons below Jakalla.

I finally got a copy of Mongoose Traveller - so that's what I'm currently reading.

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

EPT is a great setting. Unfortunately it has suffered from a lack of consistency in rules (no rules set has stayed in print for very long!). the earliest system (1975?) is very close to D&D. The Swords and Glory rules (Different Worlds reprinted part of it) are pretty good, especially for greatly expanded setting info. There was another attempt to revive it in the '90s by Theater of the Mind which, IMO, failed badly. Guardians of ORder put out a new edition of Tekumel using their tri-stat system a few years back, but then the company promptly collapsed and nothing more was produced for it.

Tita's House of Games has offers reprints of most of the published material (http://www.tekumel.com/tita/); it also offers some completely original material.

As might be obvious, I ran Tekumel campaign for several years in the mid 90s. I heavily modified GURPS and used it for the base system.

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Reading the rules for a game called TOMB by AEG. It's kind of a "roleplaying lite" board game. I got it for our monthly game night, which is different from campaign night. Basically once a month my group gets together to play different games... like ZOMBIES!!!, RuneBound, one-off RPGs (like trying new systems for a night), etc.

TOMB seems like it's going to be a pretty easy, fun game... so I'm excited about our next game night!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Reading Engineering Castles and thinking I need to do something else with it. Damn, I can't stop tinkering. I already added 8 pages.

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

Most recently, have been reading: Cortex RPG, Tunnels & Trolls 7e, Chivalry & Sorcery 3e

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

CharlieRock
Lore Drake

Post by CharlieRock »

serleran wrote:
Reading Engineering Castles and thinking I need to do something else with it. Damn, I can't stop tinkering. I already added 8 pages.

You just keep on adding there, Bud. I don't mind a bit.

Know your roll!

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Slowly hacking my way through Hackmaster Basic. Between moving next week and closing up my practice, I haven't had much time to dig into it.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The latest phonebook of rules for the BattleTech game, BattleTech ~ Strategic Operations.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<