The Bears!

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
User avatar
Rigon
Clang lives!
Posts: 7202
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Conneaut Lake, PA

Post by Rigon »

Rhuvein wrote:
Heh, Troy Aikman said it again today after saying it last week, "Rex Grossman is the only thing holding the Bears back!".

Yeah, sure the Bears clinched the NFC North champion title, but without a consistant, strong QB, you can't win in the play-offs, much less win the Superbowl.

I don't agree with that at all, Rhu. Look at the Steelers from last year. They had an incredable D, with an outstanding running game. Their QB was an average player, who managed the game effectively. So all Rex has to do is not turn the ball over and the coaching staff should put him into a possition to keep the ball (ie. less passes, more runs).
Quote:
[Rex has got to step up, big time. Oh and I don't blame him completely, Lovie and Turner have got to call some plays that are more suited to Rex's game]

I agree with this somewhat. Rex only has to play one or two big games down the line, enought to secure homefield advantage. The rest of the time, he only needs to manage the game effectively by keeping the Ints down. Let's face it, the Bears are a run first team (as they should be with T. Jones and C. Benson), so Rex isn't expected to nor able to light it up in the passing game. All he has to do is complete the short passed when oppossing Ds are playing 8 men in the box. If he completes a few into the flats for 4-5 yards, he'll get the D to back off, then they go with their bread and butter.

R-
_________________
Rigon o' the Lakelands, Baron of The Castles & Crusades Society
The Book of the Mind
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

User avatar
Geleg
Ulthal
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Greensboro, NC

Post by Geleg »

Rex's numbers were pretty gruesome - something like 3 for 19, for 34 yards passing with two picks (from highlights one didn't look like his fault, but still). I have to agree with Rhu here that Rex would have me worried if I were a Bears fan. It's true all he has to do is manage the offense, but it always seems that turnovers are magnified in the playoffs, and the way he's been playing these last few weeks suggests that the playoffs will be ugly.

As for the [edit: oops, Steelers] - yeah, I realize they're missing some key peeps (the Bus, for one). But I also think (but can't prove!) that it's intensity, or lack thereof. The core players and the system are still the same, and Big Ben is still there, but their fortunes are not just slightly off last year's pace, they're incredibly off. I wonder if Ben had a career year last year? (that would be sad - even though I'm not a Steelers fan, it's be sad to see someone crumble like he's doing this year).

As for my Patriots, they aren't exactly inspiring confidence either. After all, they eked out a victory against the lowly Lions, and gave up 10 penalties, 4 turnovers and a safety! While a W is a W, that kind of play is not going to get them very far in the playoffs.

G
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10792
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Post by Rhuvein »

Rigon wrote:
I don't agree with that at all, Rhu. Look at the Steelers from last year. They had an incredable D, with an outstanding running game. Their QB was an average player, who managed the game effectively. So all Rex has to do is not turn the ball over and the coaching staff should put him into a possition to keep the ball (ie. less passes, more runs).

Heh, Roethlisberger is better than average and way better than Grossman.

And your point is well taken about managing the game. Unfortunately, Grossman continues to show that he can't do it. His QB rating is awful. The losing QB for the Viks, who got yanked, looked better.
Rigon wrote:
Let's face it, the Bears are a run first team (as they should be with T. Jones and C. Benson), so Rex isn't expected to nor able to light it up in the passing game. All he has to do is complete the short passed when oppossing Ds are playing 8 men in the box. If he completes a few into the flats for 4-5 yards, he'll get the D to back off, then they go with their bread and butter.

R-

Yes, they are a run team, but a run team can't win the Superbowl without a good QB and a deep threat. Short passes won't cut it either, since that just brings the defense in tight. When he goes long, everyone is scared of what will happen. I don't feel confident is his ability to consistently throw the ball downfield.

I like Rex and think he's a good QB with a lot of potential, but I think the jury is out as to whether he can step up and raise his game. If he can, then the Bears have a shot. *shrugs*. We'll see.
_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Rigon
Clang lives!
Posts: 7202
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Conneaut Lake, PA

Post by Rigon »

We'll have to wait and see. I'm pulling for the Bears this year, mainly because I like smashmouth football. The Steelers bite (IMO Big Ben isn't that outstanding of a QB) and my Niners haven't put up a winning season in almost 20 years (man do I miss Montana and Lott).

R-
_________________
Rigon o' the Lakelands, Baron of The Castles & Crusades Society
The Book of the Mind
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10792
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

WooHoo!!

Post by Rhuvein »

OH MY GOSH!!!
Da Bears!!! Yeah! Wow!
_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Geleg
Ulthal
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Greensboro, NC

Post by Geleg »

pretty impressive. How 'bout that kick-returner, Devin Hestin is it? Not too shabby!
G
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

angelius
Lore Drake
Posts: 1134
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 7:00 am

Post by angelius »

If I had to root for a team it would be the Bears too. The Eagles are just killin' me inside. I don't see them going anywhere this year.

But I have to concur. Rex is giving way to many turnovers to the other team. I think the Bears special teams is their recipe to winning. Without great field position, they'd have a tougher time for sure.
_________________
Big Iron Vault Your friendly neighbourhood gaming magazine. Check out our new webcomic, The Heindrich Project!

ShawnG
Ungern
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:00 am

Post by ShawnG »

The bears have a good squad this year, some very talented players...

and that's all you're getting from me, Go Vikings!

User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10792
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Bears Win!

Post by Rhuvein »

Another wild, bizarre, butt-ugly, wtf, but ultimately satisfying game for the Bears!
More questions raised about some facets of their team. The defense sure fell flat. Hopefully that's only a 1 game occurance.

Desmond Clark looked great today. I liked what Lovie and the offensive coach came up with for plays to help Rex Grossman.

So, we'll take the win and come out next week firing on all cylinders!
_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10792
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Post by Rhuvein »

Aw shucks, I missed last week's post.
Oh well. Da Bears and Da Packers! Yeah, way to start my New Year's Celebration. Doesn't matter if they win, just let no one get hurt.

I'll be enjoying Favre, Urlacher et. al.

I'll be happy Dallas lost, and hope we get to stomp them in 2 weeks, including the big cry baby Owens, the self-centered loser.

I'll be remembering Sweetness - Walter Payton!
I'll be having a nog and then a White Russian.

I'll be wishing all you Bears fans a Happy New Year!
I'll be wishing all you C&C fans a Happy New Year!
_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
DangerDwarf
Maukling
Posts: 5284
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 7:00 am
Location: East Texas

Post by DangerDwarf »

I may be in Texas but I'm a Bears fan. I'm from Illinois.

While I believe that Grossman needs to keep playing and get some experience.....

Nights like last night hurt.

On the upside, he and I had the same quarterback rating last night. Maybe I can try out.

User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10792
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Post by Rhuvein »

DangerDwarf wrote:
I may be in Texas but I'm a Bears fan. I'm from Illinois.

While I believe that Grossman needs to keep playing and get some experience.....

Nights like last night hurt.

On the upside, he and I had the same quarterback rating last night. Maybe I can try out.

Hehe, indeed. I don't blame Rex all that much, As you say, he needs more experience. He did so well in the first 7 games or so, that expections went through the roof and too much pressure has been put on him.

John Madden and Al Michaels mentioned last night that so much talk in Chicago is about getting to and winning the superbowl.

Those are some tough expectations to live up to. I never thought the Bears were a superbowl caliber team, more like a play off caliber team. And once it starts, if a team can get hot, they (The Bears or any team) could go far, maybe all the way.

The guy needs to relax and not listen to the media or some booing fans.
_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
DangerDwarf
Maukling
Posts: 5284
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 7:00 am
Location: East Texas

Post by DangerDwarf »

Yeah, Grossman has the raw talent needed to be a great quarterback. The pressure right now has to be insane though.

If the pressure doesn't break him, keep him in there and let him take his knocks. It's the only way they'll be able to mold him.

Sure the fan in me would love to see the Bears go to the Superbowl and win it this year but what I really want, is them to set the foundation for the years to come.

How many QB's have the Bears churned through in the past 10 years? Take this guy who has talent and mold him into what he needs to be. End the quarterback carousel.

User avatar
DangerDwarf
Maukling
Posts: 5284
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 7:00 am
Location: East Texas

Post by DangerDwarf »

Hell Yeah!!!

Get ready New Orleans.

User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10792
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Post by Rhuvein »

Wow!! Another OMG game. Rex did indeed raise his game. Seattle looked very, very good.

We do have some weaknesses in the secondary and I sure would like to see Rex improved on his "pocket presence", but we'll take the win!!!

Yeahhhh!
_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Cuchulain
Skobbit
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:00 am

Post by Cuchulain »

Actually I was pleased with Rex today.

I was intereested if he could have a game in the 70-80% rating instead of being either great or crap.

He did today and I think that's a good sign.

I'm not so worried about the db's as I am about the pass rush. No onecan cover for 10 seconds and there were times that the Seattle qb had time to get to his 4th or 5th reads before throwing.

Way tooo much time.

Cuchulain
Skobbit
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:00 am

Post by Cuchulain »

Boy. the Pat's just won.

I'm kinda happy because I think SD was a better team (on most Sunday's)

Of course it doesn't matter if the Bears lay an egg next week.

User avatar
Geleg
Ulthal
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Greensboro, NC

bears and pats

Post by Geleg »

The bears looked good today ... at times. Congrats to them.

But I am shocked that my pats came through! Brady looked pretty poor until late in the 4th. And then .... Pats magic, er, okay, luck. Next up, the Colts!

on thread, now, the Bears-Saints game will be a doozy. Man, I love the NFL playoffs.

Geleg
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

serleran
Mogrl
Posts: 13866
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:00 am

Post by serleran »

You know, those who are regular watchers of sports games, particularly "important" ones like playoffs or championship games, and who call themselves avid fans, have a higher risk of heart disease and suffer more heart attacks than others, all other things being equal. Or, so I've heard.

I would like to see the Colts win something, just because they always get close, and then pull chicken bones. Same with the Bills, really, but now that I'm here locally, I can't root for the "home team."

cuchulainkevin
Ulthal
Posts: 796
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:00 am

Post by cuchulainkevin »

serleran wrote:
You know, those who are regular watchers of sports games, particularly "important" ones like playoffs or championship games, and who call themselves avid fans, have a higher risk of heart disease and suffer more heart attacks than others, all other things being equal. Or, so I've heard.

I would like to see the Colts win something, just because they always get close, and then pull chicken bones. Same with the Bills, really, but now that I'm here locally, I can't root for the "home team."

Too true, my pops is having his annual cardiac stress test tommorrow. I'm going in for a catscan on my heart. In both cases the prognosis will be positive I'm sure, But can't inagine today's game helped.

Or what I would have to do..."Sorry Morty, you can't go to the Bears championship gfame you've been waiting 15 years for because of a bum ticker...Sorry Doc, I'm taking my chances, who knows when we'll get another chance like this."

I'm there and if I do croak my brothers better damn well bring me to the game- then give me the viking funeral on the lake that I always wqanted.

Morty
_________________
A Room Zoom Zoom. A Room Zoom Zoom. Gilly Gilly Gilly Gilly Ot Zat Za Come open the magic door with me, With your imagination there's so much we can see. There is a doorway that leads to a place. I'll find my way by the smile on your face.
Ah room zoom zoom, ah room zoom zoom. gilly gilly gilly gilly, gilly ah sa sa. Come through the magic door with me and see the things you never dreamed you'll see.

User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10792
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Post by Rhuvein »

Yehawwwww, we got some great weather for the Saints! Cold weather, 2+ inches of snow and those needle p*i*k snow flakes that bug the heck out of ya, when the wind blows.

Go get 'em Bears, you know what to do!

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Omote
Battle Stag
Posts: 11560
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Location: The fairest view in the park, Ohio.
Contact:

Post by Omote »

GO SAINTS!!!

..................................................Omote

FPQ
_________________
> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <
Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10792
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Post by Rhuvein »

Omote wrote:
GO SAINTS!!!

..................................................Omote

FPQ



Yep, they're going home!
_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10792
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Post by Rhuvein »

Woohoo!
Congrats Chicago Bears!
_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 4514
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 7:00 am
Location: SW Missouri
Contact:

Post by Julian Grimm »

Now we need a 'Super Bowl" shuffle remix!!! 8)
_________________
The Lord of Ravens
My blog
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

User avatar
Rigon
Clang lives!
Posts: 7202
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Conneaut Lake, PA

Post by Rigon »

'Grats to da Bears!

R-
_________________
Rigon o' the Lakelands, Baron of The Castles & Crusades Society
The Book of the Mind
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

User avatar
Omote
Battle Stag
Posts: 11560
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Location: The fairest view in the park, Ohio.
Contact:

Post by Omote »

Ehhhh... well, It's about time Indianapolis wins a Superbowl.

............................................Omote

FPQ
_________________
> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <
Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

User avatar
DangerDwarf
Maukling
Posts: 5284
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 7:00 am
Location: East Texas

Post by DangerDwarf »

Omote wrote:
Ehhhh... well, It's about time Indianapolis wins a Superbowl.

............................................Omote

FPQ

Jus like it was all warm and fuzzy for the Saints to be going to the Superbowl. Oh yeah, that didn't happen either.

User avatar
Rigon
Clang lives!
Posts: 7202
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Conneaut Lake, PA

Post by Rigon »

I actually think that this SuperBowl will be a very evenly matched game and consequently a very good game to watch. At least I hope so, I hate one sided SuperBowls.

R-
_________________
Rigon o' the Lakelands, Baron of The Castles & Crusades Society
The Book of the Mind
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

User avatar
Geleg
Ulthal
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Greensboro, NC

Post by Geleg »

I'm with Rigon. I think this Super Bowl will be a good game.

As upset as I am about the Patriots' loss (I was looking forward to a rematch of 1985), it's kinda nice to see the Colts make the big show. They're pretty classy (ack - I hear the rest of Patriot Nation drumming me out ....)

G
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

Post Reply