What boardgame(s) are you playing?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
serleran
Mogrl

Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Post by serleran »

We recently tried Dragon Prince, based on the cartoon/anime. My wife does not like the type of game it is but does like the source material. After one game, she pretty much refuses to play it with me. Like Clue or Dungeon Twister.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

serleran wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:47 pm
We recently tried Dragon Prince, based on the cartoon/anime. My wife does not like the type of game it is but does like the source material. After one game, she pretty much refuses to play it with me. Like Clue or Dungeon Twister.
Ha. Very similar here in my house!

The girls and I have been playing a lot of Pandemic and Carcassonne , and we did 1 game of Betrayal of Hill House - love them by the way. We have only lost 1 of the Pandemic so far, so it is time to ramp it up on the number of epidemic cards in play, Carcassonne has been dominated by the younger daughter every time unless she tries to play dirty pool and place tiles to cut off or undermine the rest of us. Betrayal I turned out to be the betrayer and turned into a werewolf . I lost but it was because I pulled my punches (reason below on that), but even then it was a blast.

Now the wife. She has played all of them with us, but isn't liking them as much as me and the girls. Apparently, she thinks a game should take up to 30 or 40 min AT MOST. anything longer and she gets whiney and loses interest. However, and even my younger daughter caught onto this & she is the jack rabbit impetuous one of the girls, every time my wife plays, she SLOWS the game way down while saying the game is taking too long. She takes forever to think about her possible options, then draws the card etc and then takes more time thinking about her options now she has the card piece in hand. Plus, she doesn't get trying to get into the flavor of the game ... Hill House she would stare at the house for a time, decide to move, go to where ever and then pull the room and think again about what to do. Then when she would do something counter to the feel of the game my younger girl would roll her eyes and make a comment about enjoying the game instead of trying to win it every move. When it turned that I was the bad guy and a werewolf, I started to hunt the group and my wife was getting annoyed, but the girls were loving the cat and mouse of it, so I ended up just rushing in and going toe to toe against them all at one time, They whittled me down and won. After it was over (and the wife went to bed) the girls both said they thought they would have done it different if they were the werewolf and I admitted they were on the right track.

Soooo I think game time is going to be more me and the girls and less family time.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Decision paralysis is a problem and one reason my wife and I have a hard time with RPGs, even console games (we've been playing Diablo III for a while now and she still comes to a standstill in various places - what skill to take, what to spend Paragon points for, what to do in game, etc, and most noticeably what class to play when a new season starts.) Not much I know of to help with it - I'm sure there is but all my ideas come off as being forced, antagonistic, or whatever so I just wait hopefully patiently. I mean, other than eliminate choices.

We did back the new version of Hero Quest. Received it but have not opened it yet. The last 4-5 years we've backed a lot of Kickstarter games... have at least 40-50 that have yet to even be opened. Some I'd rather get to sooner than later but oh well.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

serleran wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:17 pm
Decision paralysis is a problem and one reason my wife and I have a hard time with RPGs, even console games (we've been playing Diablo III for a while now and she still comes to a standstill in various places - what skill to take, what to spend Paragon points for, what to do in game, etc, and most noticeably what class to play when a new season starts.) Not much I know of to help with it - I'm sure there is but all my ideas come off as being forced, antagonistic, or whatever so I just wait hopefully patiently. I mean, other than eliminate choices.

We did back the new version of Hero Quest. Received it but have not opened it yet. The last 4-5 years we've backed a lot of Kickstarter games... have at least 40-50 that have yet to even be opened. Some I'd rather get to sooner than later but oh well.
I'm there with you on that !
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Jeffery St. Clair
Ungern

Post by Jeffery St. Clair »

My family got together for Christmas and played several hands of Love Letter before cracking open MicroMacro: Crime City. Boardgamers will no doubt call that one an activity more than a game, but It's a blast watching my nephew and daughter scouring the map to solve the mysteries there. Sometimes they even let my wife and I join in! 8-) My mom loved the idea of Crime City but the map detail is too small for her vision now, so after Love Letter, she bowed out. Took the Crime City and Zombie Dice over to my buddies' place and had fun with them there. My nephew and I threw some Zombie Dice around, too.

Today my wife and I are playing some Everdell and some more Crime City. Otherwise I'm still playing RPGs.
"I reject your reality, and replace it with my own."

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Mostly light board game fare for the family: Risk, Munchkin Dungeon, Outfoxed and Trouble.

I did get a game of Blitz Bowl in. Dwarves vs. Humans. It is a faster, lighter version of Blood Bowl with some interesting mechanics. Have several teams expansions I picked up from Barnes & Nobles standing by to unbox and paint.

Recently picked up Cosmic Alliance for Cosmic Encounters. Have yet to play a game of the Core game yet. Any thoughts on that game for those who played it?

Next up (hopefully):
HeroQuest (new version)
Cosmic Encounter
Dungeon Bowl (once I assemble and paint it!)

Next purchase (hopefully)
Twilight Struggle
Maybe Thunder Road: Vendetta
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Picked up a copy of The Enchanted Forest so I think I might at least open it up and see if its good as I remember. I doubt it will be.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Well did get several games of HeroQuest in (new version) pretty fun.

Didn’t play but a friend had. Board Game group and I came over watched a game of Kemet. Seems pretty cool.

On deck at the moment;

1. The Lord of the Rings Board Game (20th anniversary edition by FFG)
2. War of the Rings. Have read read the rules first!
3. Twilight Struggle (video game version, but still the board game)
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Heat, Pedal to the Metal is the game most being played right now and the racing game I've been waiting for my whole life.

Second most played is Dice Throne. I have all the expansions including the latest Santa vs. Krampus and love mixing up the battles, pretty great game.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Hero Quest continues to be a favorite around the table as is King of Tokyo. The costume cards with the Halloween Expansion are used but haven't delved into using the other expansion (Wicked tracker, monster power ups, or the extra rules for cthulu and kong). These two remain a favorite of the grands.

Recently tried King of Monster Island (a bit too complicated for the younger crowd) and the classic Mouse Trap.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention a few other games that came in. I picked up the classic Rogue Trooper board game at Noble Knight and ran through a solo adventure. A bit fiddly, but an enjoyable game.

I was also able to get reprints of Blockmania and the Judge Dread board game. The later I did a two player game with it and enjoyed it.

Horrified Univeral Studios Monsters and Horrified American Monsters are another two recent acquisition. I have played several games of the Universal version and it is a lot of fun.

Gutter Bowl (Blood Bowl variant) is in but I have yet to take a hard look at it.

Finally, I got a game of Legend of Drizzt in. The grands liked it, but preferred Hero Quest.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford »

TheMetal1 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:34 am
.... and the classic Mouse Trap.
A few years ago my wife bought the "modern" version, with a giant toilet in the middle of the board and 4 different ways to go around the board with all the pieces all ready set up.

Total pap.

I dug out my original, with one route and building the mousetrap as you go (she'd forgotten I had it), and everyone loves it. My one complaint with the original is that once you hit the end circle it's just a case of rolling the die to see who goes out first. But other than that it is superior in every way.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Heroquest, Labyrinth, Smashup, Munchkin (with Christmas Expansions), and DungeonQuest (Revised Edition) are the latest board game fare.

Had to press everyone to try DungeonQuest as they were disinterested at first. Now that's all they want to play.
Got in the new Monk expansion for Heroquest, hoping to get a game in with it, this weekend.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

With the Christmas break and then the cold weather, the girls and I (well more the girls and their friends, with me every once in a while) we got a lot of board games in over the last month. Lords of Waterdeep, Dead of Winter, Furry of Dracula, a few games of House on the Hill, and then after Christmas the girls got Anomia and Secret Hitler (don't let the name throw you it isn't supporting Hitler, but it is a good psychology/sociology example of how someone that horrid can get a whole government to follow him) , but the hands down favorite is Deception.

Should I be worried my daughters' favorite games tend to have a lie manipulate flavor or a traitor mechanism in them ????

C&C Society

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Lurker,

Sounds like you got a lot of great games this Christmas. Been a while since I cracked out Lords of Waterdeep. Fury of Dracula is on the acquistion list for some time in the future, by all accounts is great game. (assuming Furry of Dracula was a typo, but for all I know it could be a Vampire Bunny themed game! LOL!).

We've continued with Heroquest. The latest mission we did had teleporting doors and a lackluster "Trick" ending. Much to the disappoint of all. However, we gave King of Monster Island a second chance and really enjoyed the game. As its co-op, My wife and I ran through two games of it to get then hang of all the rules, then ran it for the rest of the family and we all had a lot of fun. Grands wanted to take it home to keep playing it throughout the week.

One additional note on Heroquest. I picked up some 3d printed terrain over on Etsy to flesh out stairs, traps, walls and secret doors. The tiles that come with the game are Ok, but the ones I picked up are really going to make the game pop a bit more.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

JediOre
Ulthal

Post by JediOre »

Over Christmas Break my family (plus mother-in-law and sister-in-law so six players) played two longish games of Settlers of Cataan (older version with the Cities & Knights and Seafarer expansions as well as the six-player expansions). We love that game.

We don't use a set map, but build a random one every time with random production numbers placed face down and turn everything over, tweak it a bit if the map looks unplayable (say 2, 3, 11, and 12 are on most of a resource's tiles), and start playing.
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that falling mummy! What could possibly happen?"

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Played a few games recently. Tried out Poo-pocalypse is a silly bathroom humor card game, and got in several games of Talisman recently. Tailsman is another game I had to encourage everyone to try out and now that's all they want to play! I have 4th Edition Revised and was surprised to find that the Pegasus Spiele version of 4th Edition Revised is no longer in print and a 5th edition is in the works by Avalon Hill. Not sure If will pick that up.

Also played some more HeroQuest. Our stalwart adventurers will face Quest 12 next (out of 14 in the core rules Quest Book). I finally painted up all the furniture and doors, along with the 3rd party trap set, stairs, walls, fallen rocks and secret doors. I added in a couple of Nozlur's miniature like a Genie when the wizard casts "Genie" and an Air Elemental for the Wirlwind Spell. Looked pretty nice on the board. I started painting up all the PCs/NPCs this week all are the core set and mythic expansion is primed. I just completed the Undead (Mummys, Zombies, Skeletons), working on the Gargoyles, with the Goblins next in the cue. Hoping to have them all done before they finish the core game quests. After that its an official online quest called the "Forsaken Tunnles of Xor-Xel" and then the first official expansion "Kellar's Keep." Which means I'll have to paint up some more miniatures.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

A few weeks ago I had to work late and on a Saturday, so I was brain fried and the scheduled RPG night had to be switched to a board game night.

We ended up playing Mountains of Madness. First time to ever play it. However my girls had watched a lot of 'how to play' on youtube so they understood it before we started. We got lucky out of the gate, ended up not getting injured or too much insanity early, so when we got close to the top of the mountain we decided to just rush to try and win instead of exploring all the spots. We ended up pulling out a win!

The game was a blast especially with the different insanities. Hilarious when my younger daughter got a new insanity. then when the round started she sighed dropped to the floor and was trying to put her cards up while one of us was saying everything twice, another was not able to speak until someone said her name & I was having to touch someone's face before I could talk. The insanities were so good and habit forming, that throughout the night in the next game, we were still doing some of the same 'insanity actions' . Say everything twice, raise your hand and be asked to talk before you talk etc.

After that we played a round of 'Dead of Winter' . Drew a brutal rushed mission to win. Ended up the same girl that was the traitor on our previous time was again a traitor (what are the odds on that !) However, she was a lot smarter on being a traitor this time and none of us truly thought she was the traitor until the last round when it was toooooooo late. She ended up barely keeping us from finishing the mission. We got to 0 moral on the last action of the last round and were 1 or 2 food short of our required amount. However, she ended up not completing all of her traitor mission requirements. So, in perfect Dead of Winter fashion, we ALLLLLL lost !

C&C Society