Burning Oil AND Quicksand

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Burning Oil AND Quicksand

Post by T1Hound »

First off, thanks for the posts regarding Burning Oil. https://trolllord.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 20#p248931

I'm planning an encounter where party members are at the top of a 15 foot round pit that goes 45 feet down into "quicksand". Because quicksand isn't as cool in real life as it is in the movies, I am thinking about using the material from Star Wars - Rise of the Skywalker.

The intent is that the ratlings (aka skaven / slitheren / titanspawn) will be at the bottom with longspears and burning oil.

Over the years, I've seen different types of flaming oil from the molotov cocktail to a flask that explodes on impact without a flame (unless some DMs had expedited the process and skipped the lighting of the oil).

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Burning Oil AND Quicksand

Post by Captain_K »

I think its in an issue of domesday with historic notes. you could use explosive vapors.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Burning Oil AND Quicksand

Post by Go0gleplex »

If it's Naptha or a light oil (which will float on the quicksand and burn) all it will need is an ignition source. magnesium dust floating on oil will also make a nice little firebomb in a container (which if is clay embedded with sharp metal bits, makes a poor man's grenade).

The pit and oil from above was one of the traps used in a kobold lair in 2e. It is very very effective, especially if you add the quicksand and spearmen to the equation. Depending on their level and how the PCs react, you could have a TPK right there.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."