View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Strength and lifting maximums 
Henchman

Post Strength and lifting maximums
Hi all,

I'm trying to work out the description of strength in C&C and need some pointers.

In the PHB it states that a character can military press 10x strength score, and deadlift 15x strength score.

First of all, I assume this is in pounds but I don't see that stated in the relevant section. Is anyone able to confirm?

Secondly, if that were the case the strength of characters seems way too low. A strength 18 character could, at best, lift 180lbs and deadlift 270lbs.

In terms of the strongest humans you're looking at military presses of 450lbs+ and deadlift of 1,100lbs. A strength score of between 45 and 73!!

I must be interpreting this incorrectly, perhaps it's in KG? That'd make the military press look about right but still under-predict the deadlift. Or perhaps it's meant to represent being able to repeat the task many times over without tiring.

A possible solution might be something like the exceptional strength d100 rule from 2nd ed AD&D, which allows it to scale to extremes at 18 and allows for an exponential curve. Something like the below for deadlift strength looks more appropriate to me:

Strength Deadlift
10 135
11 185
12 225
13 275
14 315
15 405
16 600
17 800
18 1,000

Any help understanding this appreciated. I know it doesn't make much difference but it's the kind of little detail that I keep coming back to.

Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:42 pm
Mogrl

Post Re: Strength and lifting maximums
It is essentially taken directly inspired by First Edition AD&D.

Clearly there are people stronger and the values may not be perfectly "realistic" but they are not supposed to be -- merely to act as a gauge for what may not require a Strength check. I mean, if Guy X can lift 150 pounds, he doesn't need to check when the object weighs less... unless situations make it so they do (like being pinned by it, in a fire, with buddies dying all around.)

I would not suggest percentile Strength at all. Maybe double / increase the existing weights. I tend to increase by 50% so an 18 can deadlift 405 -- still, much lower than some of those competitors in the Strongest Man things, but it works enough for me.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]