TLG is NOW!!!

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Omote
Battle Stag

TLG is NOW!!!

Post by Omote »

TROLL BLOG wrote:
Thursday, October 30, 2008

Riding the Line

Theres a great movie with Charlton Heston in it called Will Penny. If youve never seen it you should check it out some time. Its basically about a old cowboy whose job is to ride the line and repair and fix fences that have fallen. Along the way he has several adventures and a few shoot outs. Very good stuff all told.

With that in mind its time to repair a few fences here at TLG. Weve been very busy since Gencon and Ive not had time to keep up with the message board or this blog as I should. Our schedule has been turned upside down, Crusader has gone monthly and my box maker had a near brush with fiscal collapse which directly impacted our new game marketing approach. Couple all this with normal day to day grind, some burn out on my end and various and other sundries and your left with a fence that needs some fixing.

So let me be my own Will Penny. Theres good and bad coming down the pipe. Lets start with the bad as well, its bad, and its best to take ones medicine before the ice cream.

Gygax Games has withdrawn all licenses from Troll Lord Games. This includes Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds, Gord the Rogue, King of England King of France, C&C Adventures as well as Castle Zagyg. This is a note from Gail:

A fond farewell from Gail Gygax:

I want to thank all at Troll Lord Games for the joy, laughter, and support they gave my late husband these past eight years. Many of you are wondering what is in store for various worlds created by Gary. To that end, I have, with TLGs good wishes and blessings, embarked on a new journey.

Gygax Games will now take up the mantle as the vehicle for the continuation of Garys unfinished works, plus the Lejendary Adventure, Castle Zagyg, and Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds product lines. There are lots of fun surprises ahead!

This does not preclude Gygax Games from working the Troll Lord Games and I hope to do so in the future. To that end, I look forward to seeing everyone in Lake Geneva in the summer of 2009 for the convention!

So to Steve, Davis, Mark and Peter I thank you.

I cannot really comment on the whys and wherefores of this decision. Obviously TLG had planned on publishing Garys material for several years to come, but this is not to be. TLG and Gary had a great run I think, and I personally am very proud of our achievements and still marvel at what we, Gary and the TLG crew, managed to do in the past eight years. On a personal note working with Gary was always a pleasure and I looked forward to his emails, sitting on his front porch, having a smoke and chatting the world away. He was a good friend to me and Ill always remember the first toast we made in the Old Town Serbian Caf. Heres to you Gary!

So now what for TLG?

First we finish the last two projects we are working on for Gary and tie up the rest of the loose ends. Upper Works is still being produced and sold through TLG. Well ship a limited number of copies into distribution on the 13th of November. We will continue to sell them through our website. They will not be available on Amazon as the time to get it entered and the trouble it takes to remove items is too much and our number of copies that we can sell is too limited. The reason we have not released this into distribution is we keep selling into our distribution copies. I have to ship a minimum to meet demand or ship none at all. This plays into our Box maker which Ill get to shortly. The second items of Garys we are wrapping up is the series of articles How it all Happened. These well finish in Crusader 13 which should ship out this week or early next.

Once these two items are done well have only the back stock on existing GFW titles and Gord to move or sell.

Everything has to be moved out by December 31, 2008.

So whats next for TLG. With the removal of so many titles from the roster, about 20 or so, what does that do to our schedule? Obviously it negatively impacts it in the short run as we have to fill in the many holes. This isnt such a bad thing. Its allowing me to move all manner of projects up on the table that really just considered before as Garys material was more important.

Much of what is coming is retooling from products to personal. Heres what we have:

Up first our some personnel issues. Todd gray actually came back to work for us, picking up bi-line work with me on several of my projects. Of that Im very happy, Todd and I work well together so hopefully we can pick up some of the old magic and make some sweet books like Heart of Glass and Winter Runes. Mac Golden has come out of hiding with a load of magic items and monsters for the upcoming M&T 2 and M&T of Aihrde. James M. Ward has offered all manner of assistance and with the soon to be released Towers of Adventure we are happy to oblige him. And of course Casey Christofferson, Casey Cannfield, Robert Doyel and Mike Stewart have all jumped forward with various projects and offers of assistance. Presently I have these writers on several scatter shot projects, work here and work there. Much of it to fill areas in projects now removed from the schedule. In the coming days Im going to email each one of them personally and discuss their strengths and weaknesses and give them projects that will prove mutually beneficial.

Up next is the projects:

First up is the C&C game. I am a little stunned to announce that the 4th printing is upon us! Suddenly I find myself with only a 3 month supply of Players Handbooks and surprisingly a 3 month supply of Monsters & Treasures, 5 months at the outset. Peter and I will begin working on the layout today as he has finished up Arms and Armor and Ive managed to wrap up some of my paper work that has been outstanding for several months. Once done well be able to recharge the whole line. It wont be anything tremendously different, but I am investigating looking into a few new format approaches. More on that as it comes to me. These new printings will coincide with the release of the CKG and the new hardback book by Mike Stewart and Casey Cannfield: Halls of Adventure. All this in early 2009. There may be some price increases but well have to see how that goes. I hate to raise prices in a coming recession, but well see.

All the scheduling issues have allowed us to bring a project weve long cherished back to the fore, the re-release of Ernie and Luke Gygaxs The Lost City of Gaxmoor. This project has sat on a back burner for a long time and we planned to couple it with other projects, but now we can give it the full attention it deserves. In some ways this if full circle for us as Gaxmoor came out before even any of Garys projects. Ive talked to both Luke and Ernie and there is even a chance well see more from them in the future. Peter has already started on the maps (remember peter likes to work on LOTS of things at the same time).

Beyond this we intend to grow the C&C line tremendously. Monsters and Treasure 2 by Robert Doyel and other writers is well under way as it Monsters & Treasure of Aihrde. We are going to couple these with more Siege Gear books in the same style as Engineering Dungeons and the soon to be released Arms and Armor. There is a great deal of room to grow the C&C brand and with you continued support and help we will do it. 2009 should be a very exciting year for all this.

The Siege Engine games are moving along as well. These items have been stalled for a very long time as we worked out the logistics of how to bring them to the public. We discovered this in the box making talents of good sir Partrick Nehan of Diamond State Specialty Box company. By controlling costs and working with TLG, DS gave us a golden opportunity to bring box set games to market. With this we able to release Starsiege and make plans for Victorious, Harvesters and Pulp Siege. All these are in the schedule and set for a quarterly release beginning next year.

A hitch was thrown into our long term plans as well as the release of Upper Works in August/September. Diamond State suffered some serious problems (clients failing to pay and one major injury) from which we were not certain if they could recover. This impacted our production of the Upper Works boxes as well as Towers of Adventure. I could have jumped ship on Patrick and found another box maker, but it didnt seem right. Patrick had given me great prices and service in the past (if you own HOMP, LA Essentials you have his handy work) and we had a well laid out plan for the future. So I decided to brave the storm and stick with him to see if he could pull his business out of the slump. It was probably not the best business move, but if any of you know me well, you know loyalty is a word with meaning. Id rather die blind and ragged . . . . And yes this meant the delay of Upper Works release to the general market and for the fans and retailers who are eagerly waiting for this, I apologize, but I stand by my decision to wait for Patrick to recover.

And it seems that DS has managed to recover and is back in business, if much reduced from 5 months ago. They are producing more Upper Works boxes as we speak to cover the shortage mentioned earlier. As well as that we are laying out the next box set for them. So wish them luck and if youre inclined send a short prayer. Theyve had a rough ride.

Theres lots of work to do here at TLG. The C&C game hasnt even entered a complete stage yet as the CKG isnt finished. Tons of supplements, monsters, game aids and adventures are waiting for the light of day and need developing. Theres much to do and weve got to get to doing it. Siege Engine is on the cusp of being born and we are working on a Swords and Sorcery brand as well.

So I leave you all this information to digest, certain that Ive raised many questions and not answered many more. But rest assured TLG is adjusting to these latest developments (remember Ive had some time to adjust to them personally) and will move forward as we always do, but for now I've a little more fence to ride.

Thanks for playing,

Steve

Ps: Ive only just discovered the Trailer Park Boys. Oh my lord. Best show Ive seen in a long time. Its actually begun to impact my work schedule!! Check it out if you have time.
It's all right here

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Personally, I'm thinking that the sooner this fiasco ended, the better. Now TLG can move on with their own slate of projects and they don't have to worry about anybody else looking over their shoulder. Though I love CZ, UW, and the EM I'm damn happy with what I got from TLG on this. DAMN HAPPY.

Now, let's get started on what the rest of this blog entry means... SWORD AND SORCERY LINE.. WE NEED THAT INFO NOW! Whatever it is, it sound right up our allys, probably.

From the outside looking in, it seems like a certain amount of pressure has been lifted. And from there, things can move along a lot more smooth.

Bring it home boys.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Glad to finally get official word on all of this, and I can't really say I'm upset by any of it.

This just means TLG can do some more "in house" focusing and maybe.....just maybe get us some better production times on the slew of kickassedness they already have in the works.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Omote wrote:
Now, let's get started on what the rest of this blog entry means... SWORD AND SORCERY LINE.. WE NEED THAT INFO NOW!

Well, I've got cover art started for it... *ambles off whistling*

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

I bet it has a hawt chick on it.

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

I figured something like this was coming. I guess we will have to wait and see how Gygax Games handles the CZ stuff. I am skeptic without Jeff at the helm, but we shall see.

This in no way will sway my loyalty to TLG. You guys rock! I will continue to buy their products and look forward to their future releases.

Now, get back to work Trolls, we need the CKG!

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

I have horribly mixed feelings on this whole affair. I've known both sides for the last 6-7 years and have grown fond of both sides. I really hated to see this happen.

But, I'm glad that these developments mean that my anthropromorphic game (Wheat Hollow: The Harvesters) will see the light of day faster! However, I truly had hoped that the rest of Gary's Castle Zagyg would be finished by the TLG crew. They had all the pieces to make this a truly unforgettable series. I'm not sure what Gygax Games has in store for it, but I really have my doubts about it.

It is what it is and we have to live with it!
So, it's time to dust off our pants, get on that horse, and kick some ass with C&C and all the other TLG future projects!!

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

cuchulainkevin
Ulthal

Post by cuchulainkevin »

Aladar wrote:
I figured something like this was coming. I guess we will have to wait and see how Gygax Games handles the CZ stuff. I am skeptic without Jeff at the helm, but we shall see.

This in no way will sway my loyalty to TLG. You guys rock! I will continue to buy their products and look forward to their future releases.

Now, get back to work Trolls, we need the CKG!

QFT

I feel exactly the same.

You Trolls can count on my continued support, it has been well-earned.

Morty
A Room Zoom Zoom. A Room Zoom Zoom. Gilly Gilly Gilly Gilly Ot Zat Za Come open the magic door with me, With your imagination there's so much we can see. There is a doorway that leads to a place. I'll find my way by the smile on your face.
Ah room zoom zoom, ah room zoom zoom. gilly gilly gilly gilly, gilly ah sa sa. Come through the magic door with me and see the things you never dreamed you'll see.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

DangerDwarf wrote:
I bet it has a hawt chick on it.

Naturally. What else in a S&S game?

Sides, a hot chick on the cover sells 40% more books.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Hmm...lets review:

Jeff T. (Gary's understudy on this project) no longer working on CZ...check.

TLG no longer producing or involved in TLG...check.

This does not bode well for my future purchases, unless it totally "wows" me, which I will admit I'm skeptical.

But yeah, I am interested in some of the stuff that is forthcoming. Siege Gear, Gaxmoor, Swords and Sorcery sounds very intriguing!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

gideon_thorne wrote:
Sides, a hot chick on the cover sells 40% more books.

Which is a 10% increase in eye-candy sales over 2007.

danbuter
Hlobane Orc

Post by danbuter »

I suspect the remainder of CZ is going GSL, after all, that's where the money is. And I definitely won't be buying it.
I will happily continue to buy TLG products, and hope that more focus will be brought on Airdhe and Haunted Highlands.

Dan
http://home.comcast.net/~danbuter/candc.html - my Castles and Crusades webpage

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

I can't say I will be inclined to support lines that move away from C&C, no matter what they are.

I just want to add my thoughts and hopes for Steve and TLG that they don't get disheartened and (as the blog suggests) it's full-steam ahead on all the rest of C&C (sure sounds like it and that makes me glad )

Rest assured there are others of us out here who are going to continue not only to buy C&C product lines, but also continue to submit and contribute where we can in our own little ways. Have no fear that we shall continue to plow forward with the C&C Society in its endeavors with the Domesday Book and other stuff!

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

I had been hoping that Gygax Games would at least let TLG publish the Dungeons as a boxed set, but alas it is not to be. BUT I love C&C and will continue to support TLG. More Aihrde, and HH will be bought by me. As will the CKG and most of the other siege gear. I would love to see them shift some resources into more Universal adventures too. I've got U1-3, now where's U4?

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

With the delayed "official" comment, I had hoped there would be good news. Alas, no. Guess I'll have to quickly purchase the Eastern District pdf, not to mention pdf back-ups of everything else CZ. I'm correct in assuming, that all CZ products were available in pdf except for Yggsburgh hardcover, and the Upper Works box? Would have been nice to have the Dungeons. Oh well. I'm just one of the fan boys, but I got the impression that Gary would have stuck with TLG. Then again, I'm not one of his family members, I don't have access to the will, or whatever. Short of doing CZ ala LA(Mongoose), they have to be going with the GSL. I don't understand the why's and what for's, but I harbor no ill will toward Gail and company. Anyway, I'll still be pouring my money into TLG's existing lines(love em'). If anything, one of my favorite Trolls is back in the fold...TODD "Friggin'" Gray! That made my day despite the bad news. TLG we're still with you. Bring on the goods!

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

I'm glad TLG will be able to focus on their in house products, but I really don't like the way GG handled all of this.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Well, I think my loyalties obviously lay with TLG, I wish I could say the same for Gygax Games. With Jeff off of the project I just don't know if they can give us the "Gygaxian Flavor" Jeff was so good at emulating. IF they can my interest will be rekindled.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I look forward to seeing the many excellent TLG products released.

All the supplements and in particular, the continuation of the "A" series with the big fat final book ~ A13 Aufstrag!!!

Bring it!!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

I've sat back and watched this saga unfold over the last three months or so. Perhaps unlike many here, I never bothered with Yggsburgh and Castle Zagyg. I never bothered because while I understood the sentiment behind having Castle Greyhawk with the serial numbers filed off, such sentiment I believe also ran counter to Gary's wishes, or more accurately, his disbelief as to why people would want to play in his castle when they could make one of their own.

Maybe I'm missing the entire point. But just as Gary wanted the players to make Dungeons & Dragons their own, so did he want them to make their own dungeons, their own castles, their own kingdoms, worlds, and universes. The players didn't need Castle Greyhawk to do that, and never did. So, while I do agree that the way Gygax Games went about this was all wrong, perhaps it would be better to make our own dungeons, and leave Gary's to the mists of time and legend. He believed this to be best and I would prefer to honor this wish.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Thanks all for the words of support and encouragement. Its been a bumpy and a bit disappointing several months, but we're used to bad news around here? Remember the 1st printing of the PH?
I hope to be able to clean and clear up the schedule in the Upcoming Projects section tomorrow.

Thanks again, you guys rock as always!

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

As I said in the Castle forum I ordered my copy of CZ:UW today.

I could make my own castle, my own dungeons, and have done so. But I want Gary's Castle and Dungeons, so I have now bought them.

If I get convinced Gail can carry on the legacy with her new team, I'll buy them too. It will be a hard sell, though. It would have been a much easier sell if Jeff was still lead writer.

Can you, Steve, tell us what the heck was behind that decision? It truly baffles me. It can only make sense to me if Jeff is a problematic prima donna. However he seems to be anything but such a person.

Very baffling decision, as far as I can tell.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Without a doubt, TLG will be earning my gaming dollars. As much as I wanted to see CZ under the TLG banner, CZ is not why I came to C&C. I came because it's a great set of rules, and I'll stay because of the great guys the TLG staff are and the excellent community here on these boards. As far as GG is comcerned, I wish them well, and unless they can make a C&C, 1e, 2e , or OSRIC version of CZ (or otherwise knock my socks off) I must bid their future products farewell.

But I look forward to all TLG has to offer us in the coming months. I would very much like to see some previews or hear some blurbs of what's coming down the pipeline.
Vive les Trolls!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

As Always TLG has my full support. And an S&S brand...do tell....

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Fat Dragon Games
Dragon Troll

Post by Fat Dragon Games »

I know this sounds like a bummer, but this is actually a great time for this to happen. With more and more people becoming disenchanted with 4E, they will be looking for other fantasy RPGs to try out, making this an excellent time for TLG to be able to concentrate on core C&C products. Now more than ever TLG needs all of us to get the grassroots effort in full gear to spread the gospel of C&C in our local gaming communities.

Fat Dragon Games
www.fatdragongames.com

Castles & Crusades...more D&D than D&D.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Fat Dragon Games wrote:
Now more than ever TLG needs all of us to get the grassroots effort in full gear to spread the gospel of C&C in our local gaming communities.

We could all duct tape fliers up at our local libraries and game stores.

Fat Dragon Games
Dragon Troll

DangerDwarf wrote:
We could all duct tape fliers up at our local libraries and game stores.

Not funny DD. I still cry every night thinking of my lost roll of duct tape.

Fat Dragon Games
www.fatdragongames.com

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

You sir are a bastard.

I hope you know my lungs are now scorched and blistered after choking on a mouthful of steaming hot coffee when I saw that damn reward sign.

Even in my burny lung pained state I am still chuckling in agony.

damn you.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Like Traveller said, I was never really into CZ. I bought CZ:Y, read bits and pieces, but it just didn't do anything for me. So, while losing the "prestige" of producing Gary's opus, I am much happier with the announcement of more C&C material, specifically the CKG and more Airdhe. So I'll continue to support the Trolls as much as I can and hope that they stick around for a long time.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Fat Dragon Games
Dragon Troll

DangerDwarf wrote:
You sir are a bastard.

A fact Mrs. Fat Dragon reminds me of every damn day.

Fat Dragon Games
www.fatdragongames.com

Bubba Ho-Tep

Post by Bubba Ho-Tep »

I wikk continue to buy TLG books and support them. I can't wait to see the CKG and M&T 2.

Crank it up to 11 guys!!