Peter B's Gnomes

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Peter B's Gnomes

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Allright, I may be in the minority but I have grown to love the Peter Bradley gnome in the PHB. Most other fantasy gnomes looks like crossbreeds between halflings and dwarves. Peter has made the gnomes a unique race. WHat do you all think of PB gnomes, oh and one request from PB, can we get a picture of a female gnome? I have seen plenty of male gnomes with beards, what do the females look like?

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Yeah, I'd like to see a female gnome for sure! 8)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

I personally like his Gnome in the M&T. What a beast!!

-George Washington

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

How about a gnome armed with a mancatcher? That's what I need!

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

I agree. Peter's gnomes are indeed cool.

John Adams

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

My wife and I were just talking about the gnome picture today. We both agreed we liked the look.

I guess gnomes just aren't for punting anymore.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Oh, and we also agreed that the pic of the wizard in the PHB is one of the best/original depictions ever.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The Druid is my personal favorite.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Arioch

Post by Arioch »

That would be the female gnome right?

ken
serleran wrote:
How about a gnome armed with a mancatcher? That's what I need!

Alas poor Elric I was a thousand times more evil than you

Slice N Dice: Game and Pizza Parlour

WWBYD What would Brigham Young do ?
http://www.geocities.com/J_Elric_Smith/Index.html

Maliki
Lore Drake

Re: Peter B's Gnomes

Post by Maliki »

Combat_Kyle wrote:
Allright, I may be in the minority but I have grown to love the Peter Bradley gnome in the PHB. Most other fantasy gnomes looks like crossbreeds between halflings and dwarves. Peter has made the gnomes a unique race. WHat do you all think of PB gnomes, oh and one request from PB, can we get a picture of a female gnome? I have seen plenty of male gnomes with beards, what do the females look like?

I agree, Peters take on the gnome is a nice break from the norm.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Indeed, the way the gnomes are depicted harkens to the fey heritage of gnomes in folklore, rather than the mish-mash that they evolved into in D&D. They also remind me of something the Henson studio would've come up with for Labyrinth or the Dark Crystal.

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

I still miss the pointy red hats and blue jackets. Peter's gnomes are cool tho, despite the fact that I personally dispise the little folk as character races and always have. Dirty stinking hobbitses.

Case

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

My disdain for dinky PC races having been said, the grossest PC race class combo I have found for C&C so far is a gnome monk. Icky. All that damage and speed in a tiny freakish half goblin package.

Case

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Now, for the western version of C&C, one needs a small gnome in a gunslingers outfit with a pair of walker colts on either side.

For those who dont know, a walker colt is a 50 cal. horse pistol thats about as long as the average human forarm. ^_~`

*ching ching thump thump...*

Nice thing about such weapons is, when the gnome is injured, they could double as crutches.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

meepo

Post by meepo »

Bowbe wrote:
My disdain for dinky PC races having been said, the grossest PC race class combo I have found for C&C so far is a gnome monk. Icky. All that damage and speed in a tiny freakish half goblin package.

Case

Remind me to ban this combo! What a nightmare to imagine...

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Another scary combo is the gnome assasin. Just think what an assasin can do when it can cast dancing lights, ghost sound and prestidigitation. Damn you serleran and your gnome at LGGC!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Me? I didn't do anything...

eibon

Post by eibon »

The gnome assassin is a grand little fiend, not much worse out there than a groin level killer.

I must be the one in the minority, while I think Peter Bradley has done some amazing work for Castles & Crusades, I find the depictions of the gnome and the goblin interchangeable and a little hard to decipher who is who at times (like the golem picture in Monsters & Treasures). The pictures themselves are done well, I just prefer the classic gnome, a little closer to the gnome in the books from the early 80's. There is nothing wrong with a new take on them and I don't hate Mr. Bradley's gnomes, I just like the classical version better. The gnome adventurer in the encumbrance section of the PHB looks pretty creepy, well drawn, but creepy. Maybe they are supposed to, but I would sleep with one eye open if I was adventuring with that little bugger.

edit: the=they

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

I like that creepy look PBs gnome's have. It is unique, who says a short demi-human has to be cuddley and from the shire? I say let the halflings be happy and cheerful, make the gnomes earthy and a bit devilish. It sure beats the typical fantasy gnome that either look like dwarves with genetic defects or lwan ornaments.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Combat_Kyle wrote:
It sure beats the typical fantasy gnome that either look like dwarves with genetic defects or lwan ornaments.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

eibon

Post by eibon »

Combat_Kyle wrote:
I like that creepy look PBs gnome's have. It is unique, who says a short demi-human has to be cuddley and from the shire? I say let the halflings be happy and cheerful, make the gnomes earthy and a bit devilish. It sure beats the typical fantasy gnome that either look like dwarves with genetic defects or lwan ornaments.

Would you sleep in a room with one, though? Would you lend one of those wizened little blighters three silver pieces for anything? I can just imagine being frightened awake by one of them going through your pockets with those gnarled fingers. The lawn ornament is at least going to lull you into a sense of false security.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Tisk tisk. Judging a beings nature by appearances.

"All that is gold does not glitter."

Peter Bradley

eibon

Post by eibon »

Goblins: Look a bit evil, are.

Orcs: Look vile, are.

Ogres: Appear monstrous, are.

Gnomes: Could be a little sinister, "Oh, come now!"

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

eibon wrote:
Would you sleep in a room with one, though? Would you lend one of those wizened little blighters three silver pieces for anything? I can just imagine being frightened awake by one of them going through your pockets with those gnarled fingers. The lawn ornament is at least going to lull you into a sense of false security.

Have you ever played a game with a half-orc character? They are a bit disconcerning as well. Infact in the Yggsburgh campaign I am running has two half-orcs and a gnome. I guess you would never sleep then.

The problem with lawn ornament gnomes is that you either want to punt them, or put them in a travelocity ad. Plus they look dumb.

Hey Peter B, any chance on seeing a picture of a female gnome in a upcoming TLG product?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Heh, speaking of half-orcs... I happen to be playing one of those now. Hmmm.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Combat_Kyle wrote:
Hey Peter B, any chance on seeing a picture of a female gnome in a upcoming TLG product?

I tried. Steve kiboshed it for the PHB illusionist and Davis said "Dude, that chicks so ugly even I wouldnt sleep with her."

Peter Bradley

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

I love to play half-orcs. An important NPC in the campaign that I just put on hiatus is a half-orc wizard. Of course it is hard to beat a half-orc fighter with a 18 Str and a name that is onimonapia for a bludgeoning weapon.

In response to eibon, why couldn;t gnomes be a little sinister. They spend thier lives underdround, fighting goblins and kobolds. In history it is quite common for mortal enemies to take on characteristics of each other. So a goblin-esque gnome is quite appropriate.

eibon

Post by eibon »

Combat_Kyle wrote:
Have you ever played a game with a half-orc character? They are a bit disconcerning as well. Infact in the Yggsburgh campaign I am running has two half-orcs and a gnome. I guess you would never sleep then.

The problem with lawn ornament gnomes is that you either want to punt them, or put them in a travelocity ad. Plus they look dumb.

You see, with a half-orc you are expecting trouble. Half-orc wizards and scholars are not the norm. You get in good with the legbreaker right off and still keep an eye on the them, just in case. Those gnomes, with their clever little twisted fingers, more than likely a few complexes and insanities, I wouldn't get a wink of sleep and the half-orc would probably go rogue and attack me first. But the gnome, already having looted my sleeping body (when I eventually gave in and got five minutes of rest), would be snickering at the puzzled half-orc, after it goes through my pockets.

The classsic gnome has to look cute, nobody would throw much more than a questionable cabbage or an expired bottle of milk at the sinister gnome. Can you see one of those panhandling?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Hey! You must've been reading all about my gnome character Greemdun. If I were you, I wouldn't go to sleep around him, either... Greemdun Thistle

Mind you, the character is in 3.X format since I've been playing him in a "Living Dungeon" game over at Necromancer's forums for about 3 and a half years...

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

The thing is a gnome who you can't trust as is a little eerie is much more fun to roleplay that a lawn gnome. If you ever put a lawn gnome npc in a campaign, the players would never take it serously. Plus in greek mythology gnomes were earth elementals who had more in common with the furies (goddesses of vengence) than cutsie little animals. And in German folklore they were vile tricksters who played tricks on miners (or worse). SO the mythological background for PBs gnomes are there. In contrast lawn gnomes did not appear till the mid 19th century.