Invisible scout

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
maximus
Lore Drake

Invisible scout

Post by maximus »

Looking for ideas on how Invisible scouts communicate back to the party. My son's party has an invisible & silent Rogue, followed by an invisible Ranger. I've been challenging him to be creative in how they can communicate when to stop, when there's danger, etc without either revealing their positions or running into each other. The Rogue got killed last game, but there is a chance he could be raised. Any thoughts on how you'd play this?

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Invisible scout

Post by Lurker »

Dirt on the floor, or stalking on ground, then write a word or 2, or have the thief use his thief's cant to draw a symbol . If in a dungeon with stone floors, chalk, or a bag of sticks to lay out a basic symbol of warning, direction to go etc.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

All great ideas, thanks! I'm trying to have him figure this out on his own, but since it's just the 2 of us playing I have to help a bit.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

mores code, bird calls, those types of things, whisper, write notes and drop them.. but yeah I take mini's off the board and only I keep track of them with notes on movement from the pc to me. love nailing invisible PCs...

see invisible to one of your PCs is the ultimate goal or message or sending might help too. Or magic items that allow this to be most affective.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Are you also asking about the raise dead? I love letting PCs that die, and the player wants to, play them get raised or reincarnated easily... I think 7th or 9th level NPC should be pretty common (ok, out there). If they do not have a "will" in advance, that's what speak with dead is all about.

Make them pay for the service, do a big favor, whatever for the Cleric.. convert to that's religion.. you name it.. reincarnate with a modified "PC only" table can be fun too. by that no one want to play a range in the form of a wombat that cannot speak.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Captain_K wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:19 pm
mores code, bird calls, those types of things, whisper, write notes and drop them.. but yeah I take mini's off the board and only I keep track of them with notes on movement from the pc to me. love nailing invisible PCs...

see invisible to one of your PCs is the ultimate goal or message or sending might help too. Or magic items that allow this to be most affective.
Cool, all good ideas especially the notes.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Captain_K wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:27 pm
Are you also asking about the raise dead? I love letting PCs that die, and the player wants to, play them get raised or reincarnated easily... I think 7th or 9th level NPC should be pretty common (ok, out there). If they do not have a "will" in advance, that's what speak with dead is all about.

Make them pay for the service, do a big favor, whatever for the Cleric.. convert to that's religion.. you name it.. reincarnate with a modified "PC only" table can be fun too. by that no one want to play a range in the form of a wombat that cannot speak.
He doesn't have a will. He got his soul sucked out by a magical gem. There is a high level MU helping them out, but there's no guarantee he'll be restored. All his magic items will need to save too.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Soul sucked out by a gem. I thought you liked your son :twisted:
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

yeah… well, them soul sucking gems... they sure are pretty, but I wouldn't want a ring made out of one... Monk with soul sucking gem inlaid brass knuckles... now that would be a fearsome opponent..

Yeah, you caused this one, I would fore sure have ways out if the kids are clever, rich, or super nice to you :D

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Well in this case, the goal was to get this gem. They knew the danger. Good thing is the rogue is an NPC that I'm playing and not either of my son's characters. He's been pretty clever so far, so I suspect the wizard that sent them on the quest will figure something out for them.