Looking to get started (online)

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
achancesw
Henchman

Looking to get started (online)

Post by achancesw »

Sometime ago I bought a C&C bundle of holding and a ton of modules. Now that I am isolated and have a ton of time on my hands I want to try and run some games via Fantasy Grounds.

I know I need the rulebook as it gives me rules and such I can look at in game, but what about the other sourcebooks?

If someone played a module I was running what would they need?
My tabletop podcast:
https://chanceofgaming.com/

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Looking to get started (online)

Post by Lurker »

First, welcome to the forum.

I don't have experience with Fantasy Grounds, so I'll leave any advice to others around here that can talk smartly to that. However, I do all my gaming over discord and have used map tools & roll 20, so I can say it is a good option when you can game face to face.

Rgr on needing the rule book, but other than that you can survive without anything else - assuming the modules have the monster stats in them. If not you may need the monster manual too. Even without the MM, you can run games based off the older versions of D&D . You may need to flip AC or morph HP but there are plenty of threads here that can help with that.

To me that is one of the benefits of C&C, it is very rules friendly, and you don't have to have a ton of books (though a lot of the books are great to have to expand other monsters, get historic settings etc).
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

The Fantasy Grounds ruleset for C&C comes with the PHB, M&T, and the "Rising Knight" module (A0). That is all you *need* to be able to play, as you can enter all info not already provided manually. However, if you need to do a lot of that and the module is already available, you can consider whether spending the money is worth your time (it can take 10-15 hours to enter everything needed for a module, but many of the modules are available for like $15-20). If you want to spend more money, I would get the "Classic Monsters" and the "Castle Keepers Guide" after the basic ruleset. Hit me up if you have any questions about how to run C&C games in FG or if you want a training session.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Reach out to InFurno, he's good at it
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

PM me and I can connect you via email
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Captain_K wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:32 am
Reach out to InFurno, he's good at it
I'm pretty good at it, too. I am the ruleset developer, after all. :-)

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I should have read your post, sorry, you are clearly the go to guy for this.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

I'm a bit confused as to how Fantasy Grounds is superior to Roll20.

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Official support. Ruleset that automates most actions and has C&C character sheets defined. All rules provided online while connected. Local storage of your campaigns, no limits imposed by a cloud provider. I could go on...