What are you reading light novels?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: What are you reading light novels?

Post by Go0gleplex »

The Rise of the Shield Hero; That Time I Reincarnated as a Slime; Spice & Wolf; In a Different World with my Smart Phone; The Strange Adventures of a Broke Mercenary; and about a dozen others as chapters are translated.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I smell spam . . :?
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Randycunnighum
Henchman

Post by Randycunnighum »

Well the question in itself seems little *grammatically off* well whatever, I love Magi's Grandchild and Kage Kara Mamoru this might tell you that I am huge fanatic of light novels and for Chinese novel I would go for Gourmet of Another World tho i did complete it but lost drive from 900 or chaps but it was solid story nonetheless and for 10/10 story I'll recommend LOTM.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Yeah. The handle and AND as a title along with the grammar are spammish. :) But...at least it's relevant spam for a change. lol

Added several more LNs to my reading list since the last post too; finished one of them. Apothesis of a Demon. Alternate World mix Modern/Sci-Fi. A bit sad, predictable at times, but overall a pretty decent read at 100 chapters. Which is significant to the overall story as well. :)

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

What is considered a light novel? Something short and easy to finish?

I guess I could look at some of the suggestions...

Normally, I'm more into anthologies or novellas (is that a light novel?) and usually stuff that is horror-oriented. I found a collection of CA Smith so that's what I've been flipping through when I get a moment.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Light Novels are fairly easy reading and fairly simple plots overall. You could kind of describe them as a cross between a slightly longer novella and young adult novel. I find them easy reading (brain candy) and some of them have some good ideas to mine stuff from for gaming. Most are translated from Japanese which is where they originate from for the most part.

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

I just finished "A Houseless God and Other Tales" by Trolllord Steve, I guess that counts. Light page count anyway

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

anvil242 wrote:I just finished "A Houseless God and Other Tales" by Trolllord Steve, I guess that counts. Light page count anyway
Actually not really. Novella for sure. But the writing style is a lot more involved than Light Novels typically are. Below is an example of Light Novel writing (copied from the translated prologue of "I'm a NEET but when I went to Hello Work I got taken to another world."

"This world, it was done so nicely after so much effort, for it to be destroyed it’s such a waste.
Should I raise a Hero again? But searching for a Hero or someone with the aptitude is pretty troublesome!
That’s right, this time should I try giving away the ability to someone “acceptable”?
What kind of ability should be good? Oh the setting of this game is kinda good! Like this? This is somewhat “fitting”!
Yeah, let’s make him take a test."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Thanks for that.

It seems there is some similarity to manga, which I will very rarely pick up. Certainly can be some useful stuff for RPGs in there.

I did see there are some .hack light novels. I should see if I can get English versions. That's one of my favorite universes (at least for console gaming) and I like to borrow elements for Shadowrun and such.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

They're kind of in that happy medium between manga and typical novel writing Serl. :) More plot/dialogue and lots less artwork than manga. lol I enjoy them for when I want to entertain myself but my brain is too tired to want to delve into the deeper concepts found in stuff like Heinlein and Aasimov and all that. :D Of course they run a range between total fluff and a bit more hardcore.

If you like horror; Tokyo Ghoul, Another, Hell Girl, and XXXholic (no hentai here but the author plays psyche games in spades) are decent.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Just finished the first play in Clive Barker's Incarnations, and have started Charles Sheffield's Proteus Unbound.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

balance00574
Henchman

Post by balance00574 »

I am reading right now World of Cultivation Novel at lightnovelupdate and It's a fantasy story that includes action, adventure, reincarnation, magic, and cultivation.