Shortcomings

Forum for discussion of Victorious, the upcoming Siege Engine RPG

Moderator: DMMike

Treebore
Mogrl

Shortcomings

Post by Treebore »

The book doesn't seem to specifically address if with a Shortcoming you want more Skills rather than a Power, just how many skills you can get for the Shortcoming. Unless you say otherwise, Mike, I am assuming you get the same power to skill ratio from a shortcoming that you do for leveling, IE 1 Power or 3 Skills.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Re: Shortcomings

Post by DMMike »

We chatted about this last night, but for anyone else reading...

Everything works in a 1-2-3 format. Thus 1 supernatural power equals 2 skill slots equals 3 Victory points. So one Shortcoming equals one power slot...and thus the formula. Skill bonuses work in reverse, with the first skill rank giving +3, then the next +2, then +1 for additional ranks. Slows up on the stacking!

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

DMMike wrote:We chatted about this last night, but for anyone else reading...

Everything works in a 1-2-3 format. Thus 1 supernatural power equals 2 skill slots equals 3 Victory points. So one Shortcoming equals one power slot...and thus the formula. Skill bonuses work in reverse, with the first skill rank giving +3, then the next +2, then +1 for additional ranks. Slows up on the stacking!

Mike

For instance, a skill bought allows the
Hero to add their class level to the skill check as well as
their attribute bonus (AB), if any.

Buying another rank in
the same skill allows the Hero to add their Hero Skill Level
+AB +3.

A third rank purchase allows adding to the skill
check their Hero Skill Level +AB +3 (for the rank 2), and
+2 for the third rank.

Rank 4 in the skill grants a +1 to
the skill check (Hero Skill Level +AB +3 (Rank 2) +2
(Rank 3) +1 (Rank 4).

P.12

Wait, I didn't think you got the + 3 until you took the skill a second time
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

That's the problem with 10 yrs of playtest, lots of things fall through the cracks. :) You are correct Lurker, that was the resolution when it came to class/hero level.

BTW, to anyone reading...where the book refers to "skill level" that should read as either class or hero level. Skills come in ranks so that's how to tell the difference!

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

DMMike wrote:That's the problem with 10 yrs of playtest, lots of things fall through the cracks. :) You are correct Lurker, that was the resolution when it came to class/hero level.

BTW, to anyone reading...where the book refers to "skill level" that should read as either class or hero level. Skills come in ranks so that's how to tell the difference!

Mike

10 years .... heck I have trouble remembering things correctly from 10 days ago much less 10 years ago
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society