Usual ordinary every man appearance

Forum for discussion of Victorious, the upcoming Siege Engine RPG

Moderator: DMMike

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Usual ordinary every man appearance

Post by Lurker »

Ok, with Tree's future game after A&8 being a Victorious, I've pulled out the ole pdf and really put some thought and effort into making characters.

I will say it is a good mix of skills and point buys, simple enough … but I just have trouble forcing myself to make a victorian 'super hero' … at least a super hero with all the flash bells and whistles … Again, I read it and default to gritty E.A. Poe or at most a gilded game. But that is just my mind needing to be beat out of the box it has self imposed …. I am working at it and getting better and better at it I swear !!!

That said, I have had an idea bubbling around for a few days, it is the opposite of Odd appearance / inhuman. Everyman appearance … the ability to go unnoticed and be forgettable. Easily lost in a crowd and hard to be described. The power to unnaturally blend in

I'm not sure if it would be a true super power, a knack, or a skill / part of a skill (possibly rogery, but it is more than a thiefs skulking around so …)

I know it isn't flashy, but in real life it is important, so why not more so in a world of super powers. I sure can see a use for it for at least bad guys …. How else did Jack the Ripper never get identified, and how does Moriarty remain the spider in the shadows … they are … hmm average height with ...light brown … no a little darker than that … hair and … yeah average height, oh I said that already …

With that, it could be a boon for those that have enemy or watched as a short coming, but that then puts their friends family and side kicks in even more danger … Heck the other super heroes around the hero with this power would fall under the effect of watched / enemy short coming … If one can't follow Mr X, then that blond lady detective that was with him stopping the bank robbery, and the James' twins kidnapping, will make good bait to draw him out ...

So, what would you all say, would it be a power of its own, a knack for avoiding observation / notice, or just be part of a skill ? Or, is it just wasted brain power from an over tired mind and under baked potatoes for dinner …

If it is a power, what would the effects be for taking it more than once ….

What about someone with enhanced sight, being able to notice the little details that normal people blur out, or would their enhance sight still slide over the hero with this power and not 'notice' what is there to see ???

Hmmmm, what about other senses, yeah you are of completely average looks, but wat about that thug with the enhanced sense smell power, ….

Ok, this isn't as thought out as I thought ….
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Re: Usual ordinary every man appearance

Post by DMMike »

I've had someone running a similar character in my Victorious game. Her name is "Incognita" and she doesn't so much disappear as be uninteresting. We played this as a theme, combining Invisibility with the limitation that it doesn't make her unseeable just that she blends into the crowd (there must be at least 2-3 people for her to blend into though). On top of that was Mesmerism with the additional ranks extending the area effect but only at rank 1; again she's just encouraging people to nott look at her.

That's how we played it, anyway. You could do it as a Roguery/Knack, but it seems supernatural to me. Regarding Keen Senses vs. this, we ran it as a Wisdom check using the KS bonus but the CL being not only Ingocgnita's level but her Mesmerism/Invisibility (whichever was more appropriate at the time) totaling the Challenge Level.

If you just can't go for the full super effect, don't forget the three best things you can buy for normal looking yet capable characters: Primes, Luck, and Victory Points! These are not flashy, but can be of inestimable value when adventuring. :)

GM Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Thanks

It is good to know that at least I wasn't the only one that thought of that as a power. So, how effective of a hero was she. What was he niche in the team / game / world ?

I Like that way to develop it, limited invisibility and mesmerism to cloud the mind and have them 'encouraged' not to look at her.

Also I agree that it is more than a knack associated with roguery . There is a place for that too, but this would be more than a skill expertise.

Rgr on primes & luck to help power up a more mundane hero. I'm quicker to use those on my practice mock up characters than I am to pick flashy super powers. Tree & I talked a bit last night and it fell into place for me that my style of character will more heavily rely on those powers, along with knacks, and a few overt super powers, as opposed to the cool flashy super powers.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Lurker wrote:So, how effective of a hero was she. What was he niche in the team / game / world ?
Incognita was a reconnaissance character, checking out areas and blending in when groups of mortals were taken hostage. Once ignored she could find out stuff and in rare moments attack from the shadows. A support character, but good at finding out details and specifics that Strongarms and Vigilantes might miss.
Lurker wrote:I Like that way to develop it, limited invisibility and mesmerism to cloud the mind and have them 'encouraged' not to look at her. Also I agree that it is more than a knack associated with roguery . There is a place for that too, but this would be more than a skill expertise.
Yeah, come to think of it I believe she at least had a rank or two of Roguery. I'll have to check with her player though.
Lurker wrote:Rgr on primes & luck to help power up a more mundane hero. I'm quicker to use those on my practice mock up characters than I am to pick flashy super powers. Tree & I talked a bit last night and it fell into place for me that my style of character will more heavily rely on those powers, along with knacks, and a few overt super powers, as opposed to the cool flashy super powers.
<nod> Some like the flashy stuff, some like the more subtle powers and abilities. A good group is, like in C&C, a collection of different capabilities!

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

In the Wheel of Time Series there are Gray Men, while not invisible in the literal sense, even the gaze of alert eyes will most often slide right over them. "They are highly effective assassins because of their ability to pass completely unnoticed, whether in busy public areas or infiltrating heavily guarded private quarters. The victim himself generally does not realize the presence of a Gray Man until he is struck. Witnesses to the murder often report seeing the victim fall and yet still failing to see the Gray Man killer."