Codex news...

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Treebore
Mogrl

Codex news...

Post by Treebore »

From the authors blog...

http://authorbriannyoung.blogspot.com/2 ... -more.html

The part relevant to us...

" My three new Codices, the 'Codex Germania', 'Codex Slavorum' and 'Codex Classicum' will be completed with interior artwork very soon and in print for everyone. Perfected. They will be amazing as expected and overdue I know. On a similar note, I am hard at work on the 2nd Edition of the 'Codex Celtarum' and it is blows away the original, reinvents it in fact. I should have it completed in a month or so. Then I will begin on a special Arthurian Campaign adventure book called 'The Island of the Mighty' that will be for the Kickstarter with it when the time comes. The campaign will span from the 'Battle of Badon' to Arthur's last, the 'Battle of Camlan' and be epic, taking place in all three worlds, tying together all the 'F' Series adventure modules of mine as well.

After this is written, I will begin on the 'Codex Aegypta' and 'Codex Mesopotamia' to complete the series in the Western Hemisphere. These will be the definable tomes, as the rest, on the subject, for gaming. Prepare for more character classes specific to the ethnicities, especially with the 2nd Edition of the Codex Celtarum."

EDIT: The COVERS of the 3 books.

http://authorbriannyoung.blogspot.com/2 ... s-are.html
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Codex news...

Post by Rigon »

Hm, interesting.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

"These will be the definable tomes, as the rest, on the subject, for gaming."

OK...

Prove it.

I have extreme doubt.

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

serleran wrote:"These will be the definable tomes, as the rest, on the subject, for gaming."

OK...

Prove it.

I have extreme doubt.

Really? I will let the previous editions do the work and the future ones do as well. Extreme doubt you say? Ych a fi.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Yes, really.

That's a very bold statement to be 'the definable tome.' Perhaps in 1000 pages that could be a true statement.

I've read the Celt and Viking works and while they are very good, I don't find them to be the end-all, least-ways for all gaming purposes.

Perhaps I have expectations that cannot be met when terms such as those are bandied like lollipops.

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

serleran wrote:Yes, really.

That's a very bold statement to be 'the definable tome.' Perhaps in 1000 pages that could be a true statement.

I've read the Celt and Viking works and while they are very good, I don't find them to be the end-all, least-ways for all gaming purposes.

Perhaps I have expectations that cannot be met when terms such as those are bandied like lollipops.
I hope to read your editions someday, perhaps you can enlighten me/us on how it is properly done?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote:Yes, really.

I don't think he means they are an exhaustive treatment for historians, I think he just means its exhaustive for gaming purposes. Which I think is largely accurate. Of course all the additional material could lead to great adventure ideas, and help better flesh out the "feel"of the cultures of the time period, but none of us, except probably you, want 600 to 800 page books.

Those who want such material will just have to find it for themselves. Or in my case, since my wife is very close to having her Masters in History, I can just ask her where I should look and have her tell me which writers are considered the most credible.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Treebore wrote:
I don't think he means they are an exhaustive treatment for historians, I think he just means its exhaustive for gaming purposes.
That is an impossibility, to be so complete as to exhaust every conceivable gaming purpose or preference, even when left in vague "definable" terms.

Never mind.

As I stated before, the first two I read are good. Perhaps I saw something more I wanted... that does not mean future writings won't be excellent. It just means, like everything, try it first.

I apologize if the tone was hostile... I have a cave in which I can roam. Goodbye.

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

As a historian (a Bachelors in History, and having taught it for almost ten years), I know I am not writing history books, that isn't their purpose. My Masters is in 'Arthurian Studies' however, and that covers many subjects (myth, archaeology, history, linguistics, etc.) and my PhD will be in Celtic Studies, and again, that will be broad in its coverage. These Codices are not about that though, they are covering a diverse range of history, warfare, myth, monsters and magic in a way that no book has before it. The more I write them, the more I see what is required (by gamers) along the way.

The first two Codices I felt were rough, but now are finally where they should be....

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Hey Brian, will there be a pronunciation guide/notes to the 2nd edition of Codex Celtarum? That was my only issue with it.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Still waiting. I really like the first couple of books in this series. I won't read my copy of Codex Gemanica until my dead-tree hardcopy finally arrives!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

I want the Asian Codex

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

lobocastle wrote:I want the Asian Codex
Once the Western Hemisphere's Codices are complete, I then move onto the Asian set! I know they will be fun to write, read and use. I think there should be at least 2-3 books to contain it all.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Looking forward to getting Codex Classicum.

8-)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rhuvein wrote:Looking forward to getting Codex Classicum.

8-)
Celticgamer wrote:
lobocastle wrote:I want the Asian Codex
Once the Western Hemisphere's Codices are complete, I then move onto the Asian set! I know they will be fun to write, read and use. I think there should be at least 2-3 books to contain it all.
look forward to them !!!!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Just remember we all speak and read English, OK most of us do, so please include pronunciations and Anglo-saxonized spellings.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Brutorz Bill
Red Cap

Post by Brutorz Bill »

Can't wait for these to be available. Also like others have mentioned, I would appreciate a pronunciation guide for the Codex Celtarum. :D

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I missed out on the first edition; looking forward to seeing the revised versions as well as the new books!

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I'll give you your western education and 10 years of teaching plus some X years of gaming gives you a unique perspective to write and I assume the time to actually do it. For that I am envious, but to write books on all the world's histories and religions seems a bit ambitious. Asian history and culture are so alien to us Westerners, I hope you plan to team with a local of those places in the world. I would suggest Outlaws of the Marsh by Shi Nai'an and Luo Guanzhong and some such book on the Eight (Drunken) Immortals.

I wish you the best of luck, its quite an undertaking. I would also suggest how to integrate existing classes into these worlds. Not so much "Yes and No", but how to get them all into these settings and possibly ways flavor or modify existing classes over creating from whole cloth odd highly localized PC classes.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Brutorz Bill
Red Cap

Post by Brutorz Bill »

Any updates regarding the public release of the new Codex books??

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

Brutorz Bill wrote:Any updates regarding the public release of the new Codex books??
Yes actually! They went through another series of careful proofreads and edits on them all recently, and now are in their printing stage! Finally, the three newest Codices will be in physical, hardcopy print and reality! I cannot wait for copies to have at my gaming table.

On a related note: The 2nd Edition to the 'Codex Celtarum' is done, and it is over 200,000+ words in size. To put this in perspective, the average Codex is roughly about 79,000. In this new and FINAL edition, only barely 8-10% of it is what you see in the 1st Edition, everything else is newly written and designed from the first word on and wondrous, as I first envisioned over two decades ago. Next, I write a special Arthurian-themed campaign book to go with it...you will see later what I mean.

Then, I will begin on the 'Codex Aegypta' and 'Codex Mesopotamia' later this Spring and Summer. Also, Frog God Games and I are working on some epic projects as well, and I do mean epic, and that isn't even all of what I am working on....

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Seriously looking forward to seeing all of them.

Brutorz Bill
Red Cap

Post by Brutorz Bill »

Celticgamer wrote:
Brutorz Bill wrote:Any updates regarding the public release of the new Codex books??
Yes actually! They went through another series of careful proofreads and edits on them all recently, and now are in their printing stage! Finally, the three newest Codices will be in physical, hardcopy print and reality! I cannot wait for copies to have at my gaming table.

On a related note: The 2nd Edition to the 'Codex Celtarum' is done, and it is over 200,000+ words in size. To put this in perspective, the average Codex is roughly about 79,000. In this new and FINAL edition, only barely 8-10% of it is what you see in the 1st Edition, everything else is newly written and designed from the first word on and wondrous, as I first envisioned over two decades ago. Next, I write a special Arthurian-themed campaign book to go with it...you will see later what I mean.

Then, I will begin on the 'Codex Aegypta' and 'Codex Mesopotamia' later this Spring and Summer. Also, Frog God Games and I are working on some epic projects as well, and I do mean epic, and that isn't even all of what I am working on....
Thanks for the update! I've been looking forward to these for awhile! Glad to hear they are in the home stretch for release!

Brutorz Bill
Red Cap

Post by Brutorz Bill »

Me again...I've seen where kickstarter backers have been getting their print copies, here's hoping the books will be available for regular purchase for those of us that were unable to back the kickstarter. :)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Brutorz Bill wrote:Me again...I've seen where kickstarter backers have been getting their print copies, here's hoping the books will be available for regular purchase for those of us that were unable to back the kickstarter. :)
From what I understand that is when they have shipped to all the KS backers and have given reasonable time for all of us to have recieved them. So you may be able to order in a week or two.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

To add more context here, the typical academic history book is capped at around 100,000 words by most publishers, which comes out to say 300 plus pages of text. So these will be massive at 200,000 words. Will be hard to take it all in.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

Persimmon wrote:On a related note: The 2nd Edition to the 'Codex Celtarum' is done, and it is over 200,000+ words in size. To put this in perspective, the average Codex is roughly about 79,000. In this new and FINAL edition, only barely 8-10% of it is what you see in the 1st Edition, everything else is newly written and designed from the first word on and wondrous, as I first envisioned over two decades ago. Next, I write a special Arthurian-themed campaign book to go with it...you will see later what I mean.

To add more context here, the typical academic history book is capped at around 100,000 words by most publishers, which comes out to say 300 plus pages of text. So these will be massive at 200,000 words. Will be hard to take it all in.
I have massive academic books far larger than these in word count, all of them Celtic themed oddly enough...but don't worry everyone, the final edition is nicely paced and the same as before. Nothing has changed as far as that goes, just more content that is useful and spans all of Celtic Europe, culture, myth, and history, not the tiny sample I rushed and gave the world that was in the British Isles the first time around hesitantly. It is very readable and similar to the new Codex Airhde as far as depth and how easily you can fall into it and get lost in its wonder. The only difference is...this is based on real cultures. So don't panic!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Celticgamer wrote:I have massive academic books far larger than these in word count, all of them Celtic themed oddly enough...
I presume you have these written up in a Bibliography some where? That you can share?

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

I have massive academic books far larger than these in word count, all of them Celtic themed oddly enough...but don't worry everyone, the final edition is nicely paced and the same as before. Nothing has changed as far as that goes, just more content that is useful and spans all of Celtic Europe, culture, myth, and history, not the tiny sample I rushed and gave the world that was in the British Isles the first time around hesitantly. It is very readable and similar to the new Codex Airhde as far as depth and how easily you can fall into it and get lost in its wonder. The only difference is...this is based on real cultures. So don't panic![/quote]

No panic, just noting the size and detail here. My academic publishers (I've published 4 academic history texts) are always leery of putting anything out longer than 100,000 words (largely for cost reasons) and I was just noting that if we're talking 200K words, it's truly going to be a tome. I'm well familiar with large collections. Just ordered a Chinese general's collected works for my latest project. They span over 100 chapters in Classical Chinese; 16 modern volumes at over 500 pp. each. But for a gaming supplement these are going to be pretty impressive. As a professional historian I look forward to seeing such things. In fact it was D&D, especially the original Deities & Demigods that originally sparked my interest in mythology and history.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Darthgall
Skobbit

Post by Darthgall »

Am anxiously awaiting print editions for sale. Will these be put through to amazon or Barnes & noble anytime soon? I have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket...