Lone Wolf Victorious

Forum for discussion of Victorious, the upcoming Siege Engine RPG

Moderator: DMMike

lobocastle
Red Cap

Lone Wolf Victorious

Post by lobocastle »

Background: Lone Wolf was a series of 29 gamebooks, created by Joe Dever written in the 80. The story focuses on the fictional world of Magnamund, a fictional world somewhat like Earth in the Middle Ages with both elements of Magic and Psychic abilities. The books have two character abilities Endurance and Combat Skill. In later additions Will Power is added.

Lone Wolf Endurance is Health or hit points in Victorious

Lone Wolf Combat Skill is both the attack and defense. In Victorious both the Bonus to Hit and Armor Class represent this attribute.

Lone Wolf Will Power was added on in later additions of the books. It represents both Intelligence and Wisdom.

I found Victorious able to convert the Lone Wolf character classes fairly easy. I was surprised. I am also so surprised that at 1st level in Victorious a character can have almost all the powers and skills of 10th level Lone Wolf character.

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Lone Wolf Victorious

Post by Treebore »

lobocastle wrote:Background: Lone Wolf was a series of 29 gamebooks, created by Joe Dever written in the 80. The story focuses on the fictional world of Magnamund, a fictional world somewhat like Earth in the Middle Ages with both elements of Magic and Psychic abilities. The books have two character abilities Endurance and Combat Skill. In later additions Will Power is added.

Lone Wolf Endurance is Health or hit points in Victorious

Lone Wolf Combat Skill is both the attack and defense. In Victorious both the Bonus to Hit and Armor Class represent this attribute.

Lone Wolf Will Power was added on in later additions of the books. It represents both Intelligence and Wisdom.

I found Victorious able to convert the Lone Wolf character classes fairly easy. I was surprised. I am also so surprised that at 1st level in Victorious a character can have almost all the powers and skills of 10th level Lone Wolf character.
Was that with or without having to use drawbacks to get extra powers/skills?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

Treebore,

I figure that Kai Lords have at least two short comings. They definitely have serious enemies and they have recognition, status and commitments they have to fulfill. I used the Enemy and Fame short comings as they came closest to what I was looking for. I also assumed an ability score of 13 for intelligence and charisma. Using the Victorious default of 4d6; I think assuming 13s for these important ability scores in not unreasonable. I think the 13 in charisma is the most important as 1 power slot can equal two skill slots. I also like the idea of the D&D 4e standard array (16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10).

I concentrated on the 10 disciplines as outlined in the Lone Wolf serious. By doing so it excludes a lot of more powerful super hero combinations of powers. I did not use packages or themes because I do not under yet how to properly apply them. I would think that a character concept like a Kai Lord would fit under the concept of a theme or package though. I am going to post a preliminary Kai Lord using Victorious rules later today so you can check it out.

JLL

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

lobocastle wrote:Treebore,

I figure that Kai Lords have at least two short comings. They definitely have serious enemies and they have recognition, status and commitments they have to fulfill. I used the Enemy and Fame short comings as they came closest to what I was looking for. I also assumed an ability score of 13 for intelligence and charisma. Using the Victorious default of 4d6; I think assuming 13s for these important ability scores in not unreasonable. I think the 13 in charisma is the most important as 1 power slot can equal two skill slots. I also like the idea of the D&D 4e standard array (16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10).

I concentrated on the 10 disciplines as outlined in the Lone Wolf serious. By doing so it excludes a lot of more powerful super hero combinations of powers. I did not use packages or themes because I do not under yet how to properly apply them. I would think that a character concept like a Kai Lord would fit under the concept of a theme or package though. I am going to post a preliminary Kai Lord using Victorious rules later today so you can check it out.

JLL
Yeah, I was figuring you did, just wanted to verify. I'll keep an eye out for your Kai Lord later!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

Preliminary Kai Lord character concept for a Lone Wolf Victorious game.

A Kai Lord in the Lone Wolf setting on the planet Magnamund is a warrior monk trained from a young age of seven in woodland lore, stealth, combat, and psychic abilities. A Kai Lord would be a Psychic Ranger in a D&D setting. Using Castles and Crusades (C&C) and Amazing Adventures (AA) a decent Kai Lord could be produced with a full class C&C Ranger class and a half AA Mentalist.

Based upon the Lone Wolf series of game-books both single player and multiplayer the concept of the Kai Lord has remained substantially unchanged and consists of 10 unique disciplines (abilities or skills), see below. In the game-books players would start with 5 Disciplines and gain a Discipline each level.

1. Camouflage - The ability to remain undetected, in both natural surroundings and blending in with the natives in more urban settings.
2. Hunting - The ability to find food and shelter virtually anywhere, except in extreme arctic or desert conditions.
3. Sixth Sense - The ability to sense imminent danger or a concealed threats.
4. Tracking - The ability to track a person or object, or to determine the correct path to take in order to reach a given destination.
5. Healing - A natural ability to heal wounds more quickly than average.
6. Weaponskill - Focus and mastery of a single weapon or weapon category.
7. Mindshield - The ability to protect one's mind from mental or psychic attacks, particularly those of agents of evil.
8. Mindblast - The ability to attack an enemy using the force of one's mind, except against foes who are specifically immune.
9. Animal Kinship - The ability to bond with and communicate with animals.
10. Mind Over Matter - Telekinesis, or the ability to move small objects with one's mind.

Victorious Power or Skill Equivalent for the Kai Disciplines:

Kai Discipline - - Victorious Power or Skill:
1. Camouflage - Victorious Roguery and Disguise Skills
2. Hunting - Victorious Survival Skill
3. Sixth Sense - Victorious Intuition Power
4. Tracking - Victorious Survival Skill
5. Healing - Victorious Healing Power
6. Weaponskill - Victorious Knack Power
7. Mindshield - Victorious Invulnerability Psychic Power
8. Mindblast - Victorious Blast Psychic Power
9. Animal Kinship - Victorious Telepathy Power
10. Mind Over Matter - Victorious Psycho-Kinesis Power

I base my build of the Kai lord on the premise that Kai Lords have at least two short comings and I also assumed an ability score of 13 for intelligence and charisma.

This would mean that there is 1 prime skill plus 1 player selection skill and 1 player skill selection due to 13 intelligence. In addition, there are 3 power slots plus 2 power slots for short comings and 1 power slot for a 13 Charisma. That is a total of 1 prime 2 skills and 6 powers.

1. The Prime Skill should go to Wisdom
2. The two skill slots should be Survival and Roguery
3. I would use one of the Power Slots for two skills and purchase a Prime for Dexterity and the Disguise Skill
4. That would leave 5 powers to choose from and I would pick (1) Blast Psychic, (2) Invulnerability Psychic, (3) Intuition, (4) Healing, and (5) Psycho-Kinesis.

I believe that this is a good representation of a Lone Wolf Kai Lord and covers 8 of the disciplines. There are other skill and power choices a player may want to make such as: keen Senses, Attribute, Prime, and Linguist.

JLL

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

The Brotherhood of the Crystal Star, also known as the Magician's Guild of Toran, is a brotherhood of magicians who practice left-handed magic, (Good Magic). The Brotherhood spells and ancient formula attempt to impose order on the chaos of true magic – the primal energy that creates and sustains all of reality. While this is at times a losing battle and can result in eruptions of cataclysmic power, the magicians of the various guilds have managed to discover a number of special power-words that capture reproducible magical effects. These are called spells and form the basis of their power in the world of Magnamund. There are 10 known Brotherhood Spells common to all guilds; there may be more spells discovered by individual Wizards, but those spells are not common to all Brotherhood members. Spells are hard to come by on Magnamund. Although it may appear that the Brotherhood Wizard is under powered compared to other Lone Wolf classes; wise use of the 10 spells proves that notion wrong. In addition the Victorious character creation process helps sets relative parity of classes. The 10 brotherhood spells are shown below with the Victorious Power equivalent.

Brotherhood Spell: Victorious Power:

1. Counter-magic: Victorious Suppression Magic Power
2. Invisible Shield: Victorious Force Screen Power
3. Levitate: Victorious Super-movement Power
4. Lightning Hand: Victorious Blast Electricity Power
5. Net: Victorious Entrap Strength Net Power
6. Mind Charm: Victorious Mesmerism Power
7. Sense Evil: Victorious Telepathy Power
8. Mend: Victorious healing Power
9. Silence: Victorious Phantasm Power
10. Vigour: Victorious Attribute Power

I base my build of the Brotherhood Wizard on the premise that Wizard has at three short comings and I also assumed an ability score of 13 for intelligence and charisma.

This would mean that there is 1 prime skill plus 1 player selected skill and 1 player skill selection due to 13 intelligence. In addition, there are 3 power slots plus 3 power slots for short comings and 1 power slot for a 13 Charisma. That is a total of 1 prime 2 skills and 7 powers.

The 3 short comings are Enemy, Fame, and reduced BtH 1/2 instead of 1/1.

1. The Prime Skill should go to Intelligence
2. The two skill slots should be History/Legend and Occult
3. That would leave 7 powers to choose from and I would pick (1) Blast Electricity, (2) Suppression Magic, (3) Telepathy, (4) Healing, (5) Super-movement (Levitate), (6) Mesmerism, and (7) Attribute (Vigour).

I believe that this is a good representation of a Lone Wolf Brotherhood and covers 7 of the disciplines. There are other skill and power choices a player may want to make such as: keen Senses, Attribute, Prime, and Linguist.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Heh, that went more by the book than I thought it would! Awesome!

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

Yes, both classes would need some refinement to truly reflect the books, but Victorious worked well to create the Lone Wolf Classes. It will be harder to draft the Magician of Dessi and the Vakeros Warrior-Mage. These two classes were not presented consistently between the Mongoose and Cubicle 7 game-book publications. I will have to make some choices like I am going to use Mongoose Publishing Multiplayer game-book for the basis of the Magician of Dessi instead of Cubicle 7's version. I will use both game-books for the Vakeros Warrior-Mage.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Lobo is always taking care of finding new ways to play Lone Wolf! Nice job man, I never thought about V! being using in place of a ruleset for LW. Neat.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

Omote,

It works well, but honestly I will be using C&C and AA for my Lone Wolf campaign. I will incorporate some skills and powers into the campaign. In addition, I will use Victorious to create some of Magnamund's monsters.

JLL

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

Notes for a Victorious Magicians of Dessi class

I will be editing this entry later as I have more time and information.

The Magicians of Dessi are descended from the Elder Magi, the first goodly magicians to ever set foot upon the world of Magnamund. he Magicians of Dessi are born with their innate sorcerous power and need only learn how to control and channel it to optimum effect. Willpower, not intellect, governs their abilities. Magicians of Dessi often travel far from their jungle homeland and venture deep into the furthest reaches of Magnamund in search of epic adventures and encounters that will augment and enhance their powers.

This information is from Grey Star the Wizard Game-books by Joe Dever & Ian Page

1. The power of Sorcery allows a wizard to transform his thoughts or desires into magical energy. By concentration of the will it is possible to create magical shields of force to bar doors or move objects. Sorcery drains more WILLPOWER points than any other Magical Power, and is most effective when your WILLPOWER points are high.

2. The Power of Enchantment enables a wizard to charm or beguile other creatures, and create illusions in the minds of others. He will be able to extract information from others, place thoughts and compulsions into another’s mind, or cause them to believe that imaginary events are actually taking place. Some magical or highly intelligent beings may be immune to the powers of Enchantment.

3. The Power of elemental magic allows a wizard some control over the natural elements of Air, Fire, Earth, and Water. By entering a trance and chanting incantations, you may summon aid from the spirits of the Elemental Plane. Elementals have very little understanding of man, and for this reason a wizard can never be sure of the nature of the aid the Elementals may send.

4. the Power of Alchemy is able, through the mixing of various substances, to create magical potions. Given the correct ingredients, a potion may restore lost energy (i.e. ENDURANCE points, WILLPOWER), or temporarily improve various abilities (e.g. COMBAT SKILL). The use of Alchemy may also allow a wizard to alter the nature of substances (e.g. change lead into gold), but the necessary ingredients and the correct equipment (e.g. a pestle and mortar) must be at hand. The use of the Power of Alchemy drains no WILLPOWER.

5. The Power of Prophecy allows a wizard to foretell the future through meditation. A meditative state will allow a wizard to make the correct decision when facing conflicting choices or difficult actions; to discover the whereabouts of a person he has once met, or an object he has once seen. It may also allow him to determine the true nature of a stranger or a strange object. Magical beings or objects are sometimes hidden from the Power of Prophecy.

6. The Power of Psychomancy bestows upon a wizard the ability to deduce facts about events by touching objects connected to them. Through deep concentration, a wizard may lay his hands upon any inanimate object and visualize scenes that have affected it. Visions brought about through the use of Psychomancy are often cryptic, taking the form of a riddle or puzzle. Some magic items are resistant to the use of Psychomancy and may, sometimes, impart misleading information.

7. The power of Evocation Mastery of this Power permits contact with the spirit realm. A wizard wishing to speak with the dead, or to call up a form from the spirit world, must draw a magic pentacle and enter a trance, when the use of the correct spell-chant will reach out to the Spiritual Plane. Standing within the protection of a magic pentacle, a wizard may consider himself to be relatively safe from harm. If he wishes to speak with a corpse, especially one whose former life was good and righteous, then a wizard can expect help and advice. However, contact with those whose former lives were evil or selfish can be a perilous, and often fatal, experience. Evil spirits are reluctant to return to the realm of the dead and may try to trick a wizard into freeing them into the world of the living. All spirits, good and evil, will require some service of the wizard in return for their aid. Any failure to perform this task, however difficult may result in the wizard losing his life.