Savage Rifts

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Savage Rifts

Post by slimykuotoan »

Who's gonna try it?
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Omote
Battle Stag

Re: Savage Rifts

Post by Omote »

Nope. Being a RIFTS player now, has me baffled on how you can possibly transition the game from Palladium's statistics minutia, to Savage Worlds sort of glossed over statistics. I've played Savage Worlds a handful of times now, and while it's not a favorite system of mine, it can really provide a nice, quick platform for story and heavy roleplay elements to a game. But RIFTS, while it certainly can be story and roleplay intensive, is really a game about little statistics that modify every facet of a character, particularly in equipment, powers, and spells. Savage RIFTS is definitely not going to focus on these aspects of the game, which in a way is a large part of what RIFTS is.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I do not particularly like either game but I do like some of the setting ideas and tend to take elements from it to my own (warlock class, I'm looking at you... and tattoo men, and lots of other little things, especially for a Gamma World game) so if they can keep it interesting, sure, I'd look at the material but I don't think I'll ever play it.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

i greatly enjoyed the game of it I played at Con on the Cob, so I will certainly give it a go,
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

RunningLaser
Mist Elf

Post by RunningLaser »

I don't mind Savage Worlds and have always loved Rifts. Looking forward to seeing how this comes out.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Like I said, I am giving it a go, I really had a blast at the play test game last October at Con on the Cob. It really felt like Rifts to me. So I am all in at the $150 level. I could care less about the dice and bennies, etc... I also put in the extra $15 to get the 3 books in HC instead of soft.

Edit: 4/29/2016

"We can't promise all of the material being offered as PDF stretch goals will make it into the expanded Player's Guide, but we'll do our best. The retail price after the Kickstarter will be higher, but we don't know by how much yet. You fine folks backing our Kickstarter, of course, are not paying any more for the bigger book—that's why it's a stretch goal for $300,000. (And yes, of course there are more Stretch Goals before that!)
Our merchant level friends may be especially excited about this announcement since they now get a greater than 50% discount on their package if we hit $300,000. We hope this starts people playing Savage Rifts® in their store every week. So please tell your FLGS!
It's also another reason for your friends to back at the Player's Guide level: they get the book at retail price PLUS all the Stretch Goal material, including Bookmarks and Character Folio! So you do nothing to get a bigger book. Just tell all your friends and help us hit $300,000 goal.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I thought about it, then realized there is no way I'm ever going to run Rifts with Savage Worlds. There are just too many other games to try and I have limited play time available. I might back at a player level so I could possibly be a player at some point.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

maasenstodt
Hlobane Orc

Post by maasenstodt »

I'm in. I've wanted to run Rifts again for a long time, but too many players in my group have vetoed it due to Palladium's house system being too heavy. Over the years, I've adapted more and more science-fantasy into my C&C games, but I'm still yearning to play the real thing.

While I really respect Omote's opinion, I do think Rifts can be played with less crunch. Either way, I'm eager to try! :D

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I have to decide at what level I'm going to back the project. Definitely want it.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

tylermo wrote:I have to decide at what level I'm going to back the project. Definitely want it.
I am in for everything in print, with all 3 upgraded to hard covers. I will probably add on a set of bennies, once I confirm they too are clay poker chips like the others I have, and one or two of the specialty die. I really wish they were doing an action deck with the Rifts artwork for this, but they say while one is being done, its not going to be a part of this KS. :(

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Omote wrote:Nope. Being a RIFTS player now, has me baffled on how you can possibly transition the game from Palladium's statistics minutia, to Savage Worlds sort of glossed over statistics.
Wait... Isn't that like saying something like, I'm not sure how you can possibly transition D&D 3.5 to something like C&C?

;)

I kid... I kid.

In all seriousness, I'm curious but and on the fence about it. I don't mind Savage Worlds and given how flexible with genres and stuff, I think Savage Rifts might be a perfect match. I have an appreciation with Palladium's Rifts and I own the Ultimate Rifts book and stopped there. I like flipping through its pages like many other Palladium books. I've played it a couple of times but I would never run it and, if asked, I would be loathe to create a character for it.

So, the idea of a Savage Worlds version of Rifts is cool. But, I'm also not sure if I want to invest more than I have for Savage Worlds since, I don't play much of that either. The only advantage I see is that it becomes possible to do Savage Rifts one-shots. ;)

M

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Well, yeah. I wouldn't expect anyone to heavily invest in a system they don't enjoy, or don't get to play or run. I am heavy into Rifts, despite never getting to play or run it near as much as I like, especially since I lost my house rules back in 2003 in my house fire. I am also very heavily invested in Savage Worlds, and I don't get to play it as often as I like. Maybe a few months a year, when I am lucky.

So combine that with the fact that I got to actually play this version of Rifts at Con on the Cob last October, I am thrilled to invest in this.