Aihrde cosmology questions

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
dawnrazor
Mist Elf

Aihrde cosmology questions

Post by dawnrazor »

I recently got the Aihrde PDF and it's a really nice book. One thing that got me quite confused was the chapter on cosmology.

Are there any sources where Aihrde cosmology is discussed and explained in a clearer way?

Or can anyone here explain...?

Anyway, I like the non-linear and non-standard D&D way that planes are arranged.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Aihrde cosmology questions

Post by Troll Lord »

What questions Dawnrazor? Maybe I can help sort it out a bit.

Steve

dawnrazor
Mist Elf

Post by dawnrazor »

Ah, thanks.

I'll give it another read and note down my questions and then come back here!

dawnrazor
Mist Elf

Post by dawnrazor »

Ah, the Big Troll himself :)

Hi there,
I've been re-reading the cosmology chapter again and I think the most confusing thing is that the text and diagrams doesn't always match, and this creates some confusion when I try to picture how things relate to each other.

Another thing I cannot envision is Inzae. It is said to be within Aihrde, shaped like a bowl, yet separate. Inside, like a hollow world, or more like the Shadow Plane?

I would be very glad if you could try to clarify these things a bit.

I must also say that I quite like the mythic-like and not spelled-out quality of the planes and cosmos. I never liked the "mapped" and orderly style of 1e and Planescape. For me, the planes should be mystical and ever-morphing, and different faiths or sorcerous orders have different theories and understandings on how the planes work. No one knows the truth, and maybe there are no thruth either.

Anyway, thanks for a marvellous book! I just got my print version from a store in Germany, and it looks gorgeous!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I treat Inzae as more being a different plane, just not completely different, but slightly out of phase. So they still kind of touch each other, but more like a ghost touching the living.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

dawnrazor
Mist Elf

Post by dawnrazor »

Treebore wrote:I treat Inzae as more being a different plane, just not completely different, but slightly out of phase. So they still kind of touch each other, but more like a ghost touching the living.
Thanks, Treebore :)

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

dawnrazor wrote:Ah, the Big Troll himself :)

Hi there,
I've been re-reading the cosmology chapter again and I think the most confusing thing is that the text and diagrams doesn't always match, and this creates some confusion when I try to picture how things relate to each other.

Another thing I cannot envision is Inzae. It is said to be within Aihrde, shaped like a bowl, yet separate. Inside, like a hollow world, or more like the Shadow Plane?

I would be very glad if you could try to clarify these things a bit.

I must also say that I quite like the mythic-like and not spelled-out quality of the planes and cosmos. I never liked the "mapped" and orderly style of 1e and Planescape. For me, the planes should be mystical and ever-morphing, and different faiths or sorcerous orders have different theories and understandings on how the planes work. No one knows the truth, and maybe there are no thruth either.

Anyway, thanks for a marvellous book! I just got my print version from a store in Germany, and it looks gorgeous!
Are you in the new Codex of Aihrde?

We tried to go light on the description, keeping it in the realm of mythic if you will. Many in Aihrde (most) would know nothing of Aihrde or even the great dragon. Only scholars, wizards and theologians theorize upon such things. But the pre-Unklar concept, view the Maelstrom as a flat disk of a plane. Infinite in size. The All Father builts Aihrde upon the disk and with it, like an island in the sea. Inzae builds Inzaa under disk (or vice versa from her point of view). As AIhrde is originally flat and Inzaa is bowl shaped, the sides of the world gradually curving upward, the whole is seen as an inverted cup and saucer (ahirde being the saucer and inzaa the cup).

Unklar takes the saucer and wraps it around the cup, making a plane with the plane. But you can't be very literal here for Inzaa is infinitely more powerful (literally, she is akin to the All Father), so the 'wraps around' has to be taken in a metaphysical way, as opposed to a physical.

Now to be a little more confusing, in the Cosmology(I can't remember how much of this made it into the new Codex), after Unklar is driven from Aihrde, it is theorized that the world snapped back to its original state, flat, and plane of Inzaa is no longer 'within' the world.

And to clear up a possible question, Inzae is asleep, so she doesn't know any of these world wrapping is going on. As if she would care....

Steve

dawnrazor
Mist Elf

Post by dawnrazor »

Yes, the new Codex of Aihrde.

This clarifies things a lot. Thanks for taking the time to comment :)

Cheers