How are class abilities handled in Amazing Adventures?

Discussion of the pulp roleplaying system, including hard-boiled detectives, fedora-wearing action heroes, and steampunk gadgeteers rocketing to battle.
Scaredy Squirrel
Skobbit

How are class abilities handled in Amazing Adventures?

Post by Scaredy Squirrel »

Hi! First post on the boards!

I recently got AA and was skimming through, but I failed to notice anything concerning the use of class abilities. I assume they are handled like C&C, but I could not find a passage where this was specified.

Can anyone point me to the right page?

Thanks!

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Re: How are class abilities handled in Amazing Adventures?

Post by Jason Vey »

Scaredy Squirrel wrote:Hi! First post on the boards!

I recently got AA and was skimming through, but I failed to notice anything concerning the use of class abilities. I assume they are handled like C&C, but I could not find a passage where this was specified.

Can anyone point me to the right page?

Thanks!
They're handled like C&C. I'm not sure how this is unclear...Not trying to be snarky or rude, I just don't know where there's a missing clarification and haven't received this particular question yet. SIEGE checks on Page 27 clarifies that almost everything in game is handled via an attribute check. The various class abilities define how they work - Spellcraft, for example, reads: "A Spellcraft check is always made using the arcanist's primary spellcasting attribute..." On-the-fly Gadgets and Jury Rig under the Gadgeteer both list Int as the attribute used. Both also define how to set the CL of the check. The use of each class ability throughout is pretty clearly explained.

I'm only spelling all this out because if there is something unclear I definitely want to add it to the errata for future reference!

Scaredy Squirrel
Skobbit

I realize I was not totally clear... I meant to point out that abilities related to a class were "protected" in C&C by the fact that other classes won't be able to add their level to the roll if they try, like a fighter trying to pick a lock. I didn't see anything about that in AA. Is it on purpose? From what I could gather, an arcanist trying to find a trap could add his level to the roll, just like a hooligan would. The section on Attribute Checks on page 142 does say that level modifier is added "if applicable", but I could not find a place where the rule specify when they should be applied.

Also, page 27 in my book is the pugilist and I could not find anything on Siege Checks. Is there another version of the rules?

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Scaredy Squirrel wrote:I realize I was not totally clear... I meant to point out that abilities related to a class were "protected" in C&C by the fact that other classes won't be able to add their level to the roll if they try, like a fighter trying to pick a lock. I didn't see anything about that in AA. Is it on purpose? From what I could gather, an arcanist trying to find a trap could add his level to the roll, just like a hooligan would. The section on Attribute Checks on page 142 does say that level modifier is added "if applicable", but I could not find a place where the rule specify when they should be applied.

Also, page 27 in my book is the pugilist and I could not find anything on Siege Checks. Is there another version of the rules?
I'm betting that you have the first print. Is yours a softcover or a hard cover? The current rules are expanded and revised and in hardcover format. That being said, yes, there is a statement in there that class abilities are "protected," as you put it. I don't recall exactly where it is and I don't have my book in front of me at the moment, but it's in there. I know because all the actual rules governing SIEGE checks were excerpted straight from C&C. :)

Scaredy Squirrel
Skobbit

I have the PDF, bought from Troll Lord Store. I just redownloaded it and page 27 is still the pugilist. Is the file up to date?

If you could point me to the right place in the book when you have the chance, that would be appreciated. No rush.

Thanks a lot!

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Scaredy Squirrel wrote:I have the PDF, bought from Troll Lord Store. I just redownloaded it and page 27 is still the pugilist. Is the file up to date?

If you could point me to the right place in the book when you have the chance, that would be appreciated. No rush.

Thanks a lot!
I'm not sure what you have there. I just purchased the Amazing Adventure pdfs from RPGNow.com. Page 27 of the first printing is the class description for the arcanist. Page 27 from the 2nd printing is a discussion of the SIEGE engine. The pugilist is on page 34 of the first printing and page 40 of the second printing.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Scaredy Squirrel
Skobbit

And page 27, base on the preview on DriveThru RPG, is the gadgeteer. That's a lot of different versions...

I bought mine on the Troll Lord Store on August 29th.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well, I can't help with the confusion, but I can say 'welcome' to the boards and the insanity we all share here!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Scaredy Squirrel wrote:And page 27, base on the preview on DriveThru RPG, is the gadgeteer. That's a lot of different versions...

I bought mine on the Troll Lord Store on August 29th.
Crap. I misspoke. Page 27 in the first printing is the gadgeteer, not the arcanist. :oops:
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

I'd contact the Trolls directly about your PDF. It seems you're stuck with an older print somehow.

Scaredy Squirrel
Skobbit

Great news! My download in the Troll Lord Store has been updated to the 2nd printing.

Otherwise, the issue I mentioned in the first post is still valid since I have still not found anything on making a check intruding on another class ability. On page 64, in the Background section, it is stated :
Under no circumstances should these backgrounds replace any class ability; the rules for mimicking cross-class abilities still apply. Thus, a Mentalist with the Politician or Actor/Actress background may attempt to use social skills and contacts and gain a +2 to the check, but still does not add his level as a bonus to the roll, since having contacts and high social standing are generally tied to the Socialite’s “Connected” class ability.
Fair enough, but where are the rules first stated concerning mimicking cross-class abilities? I'm not trying to be snarky or anything. I'm just trying to point out that crucial information might have been left out of the book.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

The general rule for C&C/AA is that you do not add level to a skill that belongs to a specific class.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Scaredy Squirrel
Skobbit

Rigon wrote:The general rule for C&C/AA is that you do not add level to a skill that belongs to a specific class.
I knew that because I came from C&C, but had I bought AA before the other, this would be very confusing since there is reference to a rule that doesn't explicitly exists in the book. In C&C, there is a section on page 125 named "ADDING CHARACTER LEVEL TO CHECKS". I was unable to find it in AA.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

You are 100% correct. Somehow that text got excised from the final product. I will add a clarification to that effect to the errata thread, and thanks for pointing it out!

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

The following language has been added to the errata thread:

There will be times when a player wants their character to do something that intrudes upon the abilities of another character class--an Arcanist trying to move silently, or a Socialite trying to tail a mark through a city, for example. In such situations it is up to the GM to determine if such an act is even possible--does the Socialite have the skill and training to even try to track down a fugitive in a crowded city? Usually, when attempting a non-class ability, the attempt should simply fail as the character doesn't have the education, training and skill to make it happen.

In some cases, however, a chance at success is warranted (anyone, for example, can try to sneak up on someone). In such cases, a SIEGE check is made as normal, but with one significant change: the character does not add their level to the attribute check. Also remember that every character class allows its members to do things at an extraordinary level. A Hooligan can move absolutely silently, even in difficult circumstances where others would have no prayer of it, or could only move at a relative level of quietness. This would be a good situation wherein if the Hooligan was attempting to sneak up on a guard, the CL would involve just the guard's level or hit dice, whereas if a Socialite were attempting the same, the guard might also add their Wisdom bonus to the CL as discussed on pages 143-144.