Do you use Maptool, will you use Mote?

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Do you use Maptool, will you use Mote?

Post by alcyone »

I am wondering who is using Maptool to run C&C games right now. I am especially interested in lurkers who we don't usually here from. If you could answer a few questions, I'd find it helpful. If you aren't running Maptool and don't plan to, you can ignore this.

1. What version of Maptool do you run?
2. Did you back the Mote kickstarter?
3. Do you plan to switch to Mote when it comes out?
4. Do you use a framework for your game?
5. Can the framework be found somewhere online?
6. Does your framework have a character sheet (besides the token properties)
7. Do you write your own macros?
8. Do you write your own Maptool framework?

I decided yesterday to get back to work on a Maptool framework. So far it's useful but doesn't do everything I want it to do yet. If you are interested in trying it, PM me.

I am trying to decide if it's worth pushing through the really awkward macro language in Maptool or waiting to see what Mote offers. I know some people have come up with amazing things for the popular RPGs but I haven't seen the same level in C&C. It's possible C&C simply doesn't demand those things, but I think it's a combination of:

- Not enough people who use Maptool & play C&C & are coders
- Putting a framework into source control to share development is hard or impossible because the core component is a binary campaign image instead of text files.
- The macro language is frustrating
- Editing and debugging code in the text boxes is limiting (though someone seems to have made a Notepad++ plugin or something.)

What I have so far in mine:
Form-driven macros to attack with an arbitrary number of ranged and melee weapons, doing SIEGE checks with and without level that show the CL of your check, healing/damage, initiative macro that places initiative into the initiative box, the start of a character sheet (not much but cribbing from the wiki examples so far) which should ultimately mean not needing to touch the token properties anymore.

Other systems have stuff like targeting, automatic range modifiers, automatic check against
target AC, group initiative add/remove, fancy and complete character sheets with equipment and buff tracking. We could have those too, if the interest is there. The people that developed that stuff are pretty clever and have done a lot of research and work to get around some of Maptool's limitations though, and I am not sure if I have that kind of drive.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Do you use Maptool, will you use Mote?

Post by Rigon »

I use MapTools, but I'm not a coder, so my framework is very sparse. It's just a few properties that I like and the macros I leave up to the players to figure out. I've used b87 in the past, but I going to go with the news one, b91.

As to switching to mote, I'll have to wait and see, but I'm excited to see how they simplify it.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

A, I really like what you got going on there. Keep it up. Also, you may want to check out Demiurge's C&C Framework for MT. He posted it a while ago. Here is the post. He did some nice things.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

What is Mote?
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Mote is a virtual tabletop based on Maptool, which should be a released in a few days:

https://plus.google.com/communities/113 ... 1298387578

Promised features include
- A new map system with hardware acceleration and visual effects
- A system for sharing sounds during the game
- A dice bar
- Nicer environment for writing macros
- Database support for storing game material
- Headless server support (host your Maptool somewhere else that everyone can connect to.)

A lot of it is low level and geeky, but if the geeks pick up on it we should all benefit.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Thanks, G.

I really like Maptool, but would be more than willing to look at/test Mote. As a CK, I need the fastest and easiest gaming desktop to set up and run. As a player, I'm willing to use most anything if the CK has a great command of the software and help the players.

:)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Rhuvein wrote:Thanks, G.

I really like Maptool, but would be more than willing to look at/test Mote. As a CK, I need the fastest and easiest gaming desktop to set up and run. As a player, I'm willing to use most anything if the CK has a great command of the software and help the players.

As long as it's not Roll20. ;)

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Rigon wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:Thanks, G.

As long as it's not Roll20. ;)

R-
:lol:

For sure!!! :P

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

I'll continue to use Fantasy Grounds with it's Castles and Crusades ruleset.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Big fan of Roll20. Why the hate?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

AGNKim wrote:Big fan of Roll20. Why the hate?
In my experience, as both a player and a CK, Roll20 isn't as user friendly as MapTool. The only benefit that Roll20 has over MT, is that you don't need a server to host a game. I'm excited to see what MOTE can do, since it's the "next evolution" of MT. That being said, I'll play a game on Roll20, but I much prefer running games on MT.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Rigon wrote:
The only benefit that Roll20 has over MT, is that you don't need a server to host a game.
That is a big, big advantage for me. Setting up port forwarding is a major pain in the ass. I assume it's not so bad after the first time, but that first time really, really sucks even for people with moderate computer skills. I'm not willing to go through that again if there is an acceptable alternative.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Rigon wrote:
The only benefit that Roll20 has over MT, is that you don't need a server to host a game.
That is a big, big advantage for me. Setting up port forwarding is a major pain in the ass. I assume it's not so bad after the first time, but that first time really, really sucks even for people with moderate computer skills. I'm not willing to go through that again if there is an acceptable alternative.
I was using the direct connect feature for years, then recently switched to using the UPnP function. Both work well and are relatively easy to set up. MOTE is telling us that it will be fairly easy to set up/host a server, so I'm hoping that's true.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I find things to like in all of the VTTs. The C&C support in FGII is really good. Drawing a map from scratch in it isn't as good. I like Roll20 just fine, but it's not as programmable as MapTool, and as a programmer I can do things to make my game run smoother for the players.

I like and use them all though. The convenience of Roll20 is huge, and I really don't have any major problems getting my maps in there. In the Maptool games I play I don't see much going on that Roll20 can't do, but I can't see what tools the CK is using, maybe there are a lot. I am a donor though, so I get a few extras.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

By the way, if you are starting a new Maptool game, consider using my framework, which can be found in my signature link. It needs more forms for things and a more complete character sheet, but other than that it works pretty well so far. Depending on how much better Mote is I might do future development for that instead of MT. I plan to get all of the monsters into it soon so you can drag statted monsters onto the map and generate their HP.

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Aergraith wrote:The C&C support in FGII is really good. Drawing a map from scratch in it isn't as good.
I never draw a map "from scratch". I have a wide selection of maps available, and if I need one "on the fly" I drag and drop one onto the table and share with the players - just takes a few seconds.