Where are you in the A-series?

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.

My group has played up to:

A0 - The Rising Knight
26%
A1 - Assault on Blacktooth Ridge
38%
A2 - Slag Heap
6%
A3 - Wicked Cauldron
15%
A4 - Usurpers of the Fell Axe
12%
A5 - The Shattered Horn
No votes
A6 - Banishment and Blight
3%
A7 - Beneath the Despairing Stone
No votes
A8 - Forsaken Mountain
No votes
A9 - The Helm of Night
No votes
A10 - The Last Respite
No votes
A11 - The Wasting Way
No votes
A12 - The Paladin's Lament
No votes

Total votes: 34

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Where are you in the A-series?

Post by alcyone »

If you are running A series modules (Umbrage Saga), more or less in order, what module are you on with your most advanced group?
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Where are you in the A-series?

Post by alcyone »

For my part, only up to A1 and some of the extras; my campaign sort of petered out and needs a boost. Also, we have been playing the Sunless Citadel through Bastion of Broken Souls adventure path for years in another system, and it has sort of soured us on programmed adventures of such length. Still, I suspect Umbrage Saga needn't be so programmed; it's pretty sandboxy from the start and as long as players can get hints as to relative difficulty they can sort of wander around and hit all of the modules as they wish; it's as much a gazetteer to this part of Aihrde as a set of modules.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

My group is up to A3. We started with A0 back in Sept 2011. Other than some occasional missed weeks, a three month summer hiatus, and a three or four month hiatus as of late, we've conutinued on. There have been character deaths and a few departures. The table has ranged from 3-8 players, but more like 3 or 4 now. i believe we're starting again this Sunday. The odd holiday, or convention will get in the way, but probably no major disruptions until summer of next year

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

Never got past Rising Knight after a TPK in Balon Nakt. The group requested that we play in a different part of the world, so we began up in the Hanse states and have since moved across the sea into the Northlands.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Back in the day, we played into Blacktooth Ridge. At that time, the Umbrage Saga box set was just released with all of the additional info that wasn't included in the original release. I didn't really know that much about Aihrde, and I think that hurt my presentation of the material. I am still waiting for the Codex of Aihrde proper before I run a game in that part of the setting.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

We had started A3, when our group fizzled out after several years of play. My daughter left the group first and I was able to add some more nephews. Eventually, they got older and began to run their own games with their friends and such ~ so it was nice to see them mature into serious gamers.

One of my nephews is a great DM and has a head for figures and detail, but handles it well and does not bog down the game - but instead keeps it moving along nicely.

I love this series and look forward to the final book, it should be totally kick ass!!

:P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Harlock
Ungern

Post by Harlock »

My group has just finished killing Dietbold Heimer. We'll move on to A5 on the 26th. They lost the Barbarian, and I plan on adding a Cleric to the group because the adventures look way more dangerous here on out!
~~~~~R.I.P~~~~~
Tom Moldvay
Nov. 5, 1948 – March 9, 2007
B/X, B4, X2 - You were D&D to me

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

I guess I could change my vote from A0 to A1 after our gaming session yesterday. We wrapped up (after a 5-month delay) Rising Knight and the PC's moved on to Botkinburg, where we stopped play as they arrived. I cannot wait to run them through A1, A2, A3, & A4 somewhat simultaneously as that is one big playground of adventure in a nice compact area provided in those modules. From there, I plan on trying my hand at my first true "sandbox" campaign where the players can take their PC's wherever they like.

It's been too long since I got into C&C (almost 9 years) before we have been able to complete one of TLG's own modules.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

The party has just defeated the witch queen at the end of A3 but they still need to get out of there. ;)

One more session to do that and bridge to the start of A4. Actually, taking a quick glance through A4 and I think it should be swifter to go through that the last couple of modules in the series. I fully intend to run the entire gambit of modules in this series.

M

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

I started out a group of gamers who had either never gamed or had not gamed in 15 to 20 years. We started with Brave Halfling Publishings "Ruins of Ramat" and I used a homebrew setting of the town of "Seneca" to as the town with the missing dog. Very vague, but decided to go with the Umbrage Saga. I offered a bunch of hooks to players to choose from (posted on the Inn's bulletin board:

1. Castle Zagyg
2. A sea adventure I'm working on
3. The trolls "Fantastic Adventure" Module (do hope they re-write that from d20)
4. Rise of the Rune Lords
5. Rappan Athuk
6. A Caravan to Botkinburg (with a potential to go to Malforten)

They chose Botkinburg and on a second attempt to Malforten they passed. I wanted the journey to memorable, so they ran into Redcaps and had a few adventures with the NPCs on the Caravan. They're now trying to rescue a Lady on her way to a wedding in the south who was captured by the Redcaps and found a druid to assist them in the swamp. I ended up using the Moathouse from the Temple of Elemental Evil as the Goblin hole. I used the bandit encounter in TOEE but replaced them with rest of the Redcap Goblins from the ambush. They made quick work of them and most of the encounters on the main floor, and are now searching the caves below. I'll have the Lady as a prisoner, along with Wizard/Monk/Barbarian (Human) multi-class PC, and the Gnome trader as prisoners of Lugbash the Ogre.

Anyway very much looking forward to actually getting to Botkinburg. Lots of things planned. Two of the Players are moving in a few months (Father & Son team). So we'll be down a few members. But would like to at least finish up A1 with the Molkin Twins rescued (and Redcap Breakaway group of Goblins plot exposed with a link elsewhere) the Troll defeated, and the Witch of the Woods met as the Patron for the Knight and Cleric (instead of the witch I'll make her Shelba of the Eyeless Face). Intent is to start mentioning the Horn next session. The PCs should find a note mentioning the other RedCap Group, as well.

One thing I do want to explore is the Tree of Life. While the overarching goal is the Journey to Aufstrag, which in effect is a mockery of the Tree of Life. So will need to do some writing on that. But do need to get the Ahirde CK and PC guides soon.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Ted Wallerstedt
Henchman

Post by Ted Wallerstedt »

We have completed A0-A4. Looking to start A5.

Currently they are fighting Fire Giants in the Krekingolg...

dawnrazor
Mist Elf

Post by dawnrazor »

A0 - Rising Knight

Big Ulf
Skobbit

Post by Big Ulf »

Hey any word if there are more Aufstrag levels to be released past 2016's super box "Umbrage Saga Part 3"? They had the first 5 of 21 (!) levels in there, hoping it won't be too many years before another release.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

We recently rolled up a new party that will play A-0 as a precursor to a homebrew campaign I'm writing up, but it will be set in my own world.

Meanwhile, we also decided to revive our defunct C&C party from a couple years ago. They had played A-3 as a one shot. But recently I became intrigued by the Dungeons of Aufstrag boxed set. So I decided to buy that, with the ambitious aim of fleshing out levels 6-21 myself. But I read that A6-12 (The Journey to Aufstrag) boxed set was cool too, so I bought that as well. Then I realized that I had gotten a pdf copy of A-5 with my Tome of the Unclean KS rewards a couple years ago. So now that group will be starting A-5 with the goal of completing the whole damn A series. And I've worked up an elaborate hook to get Aufstrag into my homebrew world via magic. So it should be a blast.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I just picked up In the Shadow of Aufstrag and decided I am going to hopefully run my next campaign through it or at least get them past A1. The last couple times I wanted to run the series they always wanted to just hang out and explore the ridge. I didn't have too much problem with it but there's only so many dungeons I can make.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

We were moving into A3 Wicked Cauldron when the trouble started, we went online to play, but chose Star Trek as the game.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

We finished A-5 today, so it's now off on the Journey to Aufstrag with Of Banishment & Blight!

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford »

My group finished A0 a while back.

They are not interested in playing further unless I pull the world into another system (read: "D&D").

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

We went through A7--The Despairing Stone, tonight. Short, but had a couple memorable combats. Still hoping to make it all the way to Aufstrag