Quick n' Dirty C&C Star Wars Conversion

Discuss the SIEGE engine, and SIEGE Engine games other than C&C, such as StarSIEGE, in this forum.
Wordwarrior
Mist Elf

Quick n' Dirty C&C Star Wars Conversion

Post by Wordwarrior »

Here's a word document with some house rules I worked up to run a Star Wars game, C&C style. It's a little rough around the edges, but I thought someone might get some use out of it. I also included a hand drawn character sheet. A word of warning: None of this has been play tested yet, so I can't speak as to the balance of it. If anybody takes it for a test drive, I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks :)

You can download it at my dropbox, here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ht4y6yheoqbj ... 0WARS.docx

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Quick n' Dirty C&C Star Wars Conversion

Post by Relaxo »

so snagged!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Relaxo wrote:so snagged!

+ 1

first quick look, looks good!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Yeah this looks really good!
I like the force, how you did it.

was this translated from the WEG d6 game? IIRC, that was the one with "fringers"... or is it sort of drawn from all sources and converted to C&C/Siege.

Anywho, I dig it!
Bill D.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

d20 Star Wars had fringers. Not so sure about d6.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Cool. Snagged.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

I appologize now as I'm not imitimately versed with the star wars universe, watched the movies and played some of the games, but I always remember there being a division between the Jedi counsel and the sith allowing the Sith to use force choke and lightning and allowing the jedi counsel to use force telekenesis and push but in the conversion both are given to the Jedi.

So my question is do you make some powers dependant on alignment?

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

In d20 Star Wars all Force powers are universal. The player declares whether he is drawing on the light side or dark side to use a power. The game default however is that the Force sensitive players are all light side. Since I'm fairly convinced the OP based his conversion off d20 Star Wars, it makes sense that his powers are set up in this fashion.

For the computer games Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords the powers are modeled differently. In each game there is a universal set of powers as well as powers that are distinctly light side or dark side. The player may still select any powers he or she desires for the character in the computer game, but the character must pay more to use the power if the power is opposed to the character's current "alignment". For example, Heal is a light side power costing 10 Force Points. If a light side character chooses that power, he pays 10 points but if a dark side character chooses that power he would pay the 10 Force Points plus an additional 10 Force Points because the power is a light side power. In the case of a "neutral" Force sensitive character like Jolee Bindo, the character pays the penalty costs for all Force powers except those in the universal set whenever he uses them.

Wordwarrior
Mist Elf

Post by Wordwarrior »

Good to see some folks may get some use out of this. :)

The sources I drew on were my old WEG sourcebooks (for ideas and terminology mostly), WotC Saga edition and Wookiepedia. Since C&C has a lot of d20 influence, it obviously drew a lot of inspiration for mechanics from that.

As far as force powers are concerned, there are different schools of thought on that. Force lightning and force choke do seem to be thoroughly dark-side flavored, though I didn't make that distinction in my document. I suppose that determination is best left to each individual GM. Wookiepedia can probably give you a more "canon" answer than that. ;)

I basically sketched out the game I'd want to run if it were SIEGE based, as C&C is what I use for everything these days. I put it in a word document format to make it easy to tear apart and excise or modify the parts you don't want to use and whatnot.

Someday, I plan to use the huge tackle-box of star wars minis and the Minos Cluster setting from WEG Tramp Freighters splatbook to run the campaign that's been percolating in my fanboy brain, for years now. :ugeek:

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

I like how you did the force.
for a while I was thinking it's basically, TK, Mind Trick, Lightning and choke, leaping, blocking blaster bolts, awesome light saber actions too fast for normal mortals.

but wait, isn't choke just a type of TK? and is leaping TK on the self? hmmm.... so now it's TK (a few flavors of TK), Mind Trick (also that distraction Trick Obi-Wan does on the Death Star).... ok so that's MENTAL, maybe deflecting blasters and shooting lighting is just ENERGY... uh... maybe they can heal a bit?

so my point is, what you did really resonated with my rough ideas that i've been kicking around a while and I really think it works great.
Bill D.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

I definitely like it, I have friends who are big star wars fans, so I may have to do some canon research to figre out how to run the game for them since most of them don't like to GM

Wordwarrior
Mist Elf

Post by Wordwarrior »

Cool 8-)

My main concern, when working up the rules, was primarily ease of play (which is what I love most about C&C) and making something that would evoke the feel of the movies. I also wanted ammo rules and armor degradation, but I didn't want it to be a tedious process of ticking off every shot fired and every hp knocked off the armor. Hence my rather simplified, abstract way of doing it. I suspect those are the rules that will appeal the least to most people.

By the way- with regard to alignment, I'm a bit of a philistine in that I rarely use it (even in standard fantasy games). All I really care about is that my players play their characters personalities in a consistent manner (or, if they exhibit a sudden personality change, they give a credible, in-game reason for the change). That's why I didn't include an alignment space on the character sheet.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Each to their own, I was talking with friends after posting that question and most of them said that the games allowed for both to be used until you made a final decision to be either of the sith or the jedi counsel.

To be honest I actually like the ammo and armor rules and I'm glad you included them because its tedious keeping count of arrows and having to rummage for them.

What about weapon Jamming, just in your personal opinion, is that something that you would primarily only use for a extreme cases like a natural 1?

Me personally if I were playing a jedi I would attempt to TK an enemies blaster to jam it if I could

Wordwarrior
Mist Elf

Post by Wordwarrior »

What about weapon Jamming, just in your personal opinion, is that something that you would primarily only use for a extreme cases like a natural 1?
It seems reasonable to me that blasters might have a chance of overheating. You could simulate this by rolling 1d3; the weapon is inoperable until it has had that many rounds to cool off.
Me personally if I were playing a jedi I would attempt to TK an enemies blaster to jam it if I could
Sure. Lots of interesting things a creative player can do with telekinesis. My philosophy is to encourage creativity by allowing my players to attempt almost anything (although, if it's really outrageous, they may incur a hefty penalty to the roll).

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

if one were to go looking for a good campaign setting for this where would it be found? However there is a tempt to crash land a cruiser in Airhde or Greyhawk for them to use as a base and recharge station as they adapt to fantasy and magic realm....

Wordwarrior
Mist Elf

Post by Wordwarrior »

I like the old WEG Galaxy Guides and Sourcebooks the best. My favorites, in order of preference would be:

1) Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters
2) Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook
3) The Darkstryder Campaign

I also like the following, for little set-piece locations you can drop into your campaign:

1) Wretched Hives of Scum and Villainy
2) Hideouts and Strongholds
3) Platt's Starport Guide

If you dig around on the internet, you can probably find them used. A starwars/greyhawk mashup could be fun too. Tossing a Jedi into the middle of an orc horde or a gang of giants would be a hoot. Likewise, getting your party of fantasy adventurers hijacked aboard a space ship and letting them lob fireballs at stormtrooper squads could prove exceptionally amusing. :D

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

My Greyhawk campaign was dragged into france during the period where firearms where starting to revolutionize battle and that was fun this is definitely going to require some thought :D

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I know that this is an old thread that I'm reviving, but my game group wants me to run a Star Wars game. I've tried several options, but a C&C Star Wars seems like potentially my favorite option and the link in this thread seems to go nowhere. Can anyone help me out with this?

(I own the d6 and FFG versions and have downloaded an incomplete 5E conversion, but C&C has the right amount of crunch and so I was hoping to find this file. I know that there is a Victorious Star Wars thread, but I don't have that rulebook yet....)
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Got it, and thank you! :-)

I found some of my old "OD&D Star Wars" notes from the 1970's or so, but your C&C conversion looks a lot better.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975