Color Out of Space

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Color Out of Space

Post by Telhawk »

Okay; I'm putting this here because a) there ain't no RPGs I play that even come close to this other than C&C, and b) I gotta tell someone.

My youngest brother, who is currently DMing/GMing our ongoing AD&D/Star Trek Adventures games let me know this was playing at a review theater (one I have considerable background with and affection for) this evening. I drove out, parked, walked over, paid a full $15 bucks - which seemed a touch steep for a review theater, although I sure changed my mind about that real quick - and we waited about fifteen minutes. Then we went into a room with about twenty-four seats and things started up.

I cannot describe the joy and relief I took at this thing coming out as a serious, take it to the walls and hit it in the balls Lovecraft adaptation. This was a true, real horror film, probably the first I've seen since 30 Days of Night that just absolutely refused to call it quits when things got really, really bad. The movie relies to a very large degree on body-horror, but there are serious we-cannot-understand-this-because-we-are-only-men underpinnings that made the body-horror stuff an outward, visible element of the nightmare. Additionally, it gets extra major points 'cause there ain't no easy out at the end; no wrap-it-up-and-call-it-a-happy-ending conclusion that lets the audience go home thinking it's a friendly universe out there.

There are a number of points that could, I think, work themselves into a C&C game, especially with Tome of the Unclean as a go-to reference work. It'd be a major outing for your clerics and paladins - although I can see the wizards getting major involvement with this, and rangers and druids experiencing the unstoppable, step-by-step corruption of nature first-hand - and playing up on various demihuman characters' backgrounds and racial abilities as points of vulnerability or additional insight into the unnatural horror of this thing. I can state that, whatever sites are still servicing the Call of Cthulhu crowd, they're boiling over with joy at knowing this thing is out there.

In any case, was wondering if any others in the C&C gang here have seen this, and what their reaction was. Hoping to read some feedback on this in the not-too distant future.

dachda
Lore Drake

Re: Color Out of Space

Post by dachda »

Is this the one with Nicholas Cage? I had heard it was good. I'll have to watch when it is available for streaming at home.

old school gamer
Red Cap

Post by old school gamer »

Have you ever played Call of Cthulhu?

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Not yet. I did the 7th ed kickstarter and bought a bunch of stuff since, including World War Cthulu, and Pulp cthulhu, but until recently I hadn't anyone in my group interested in playing it. They like C&C too much. I've also read all the Lovecraft stories.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Telhawk, you've sold me on this movie! I'm going to have to watch it now, haven't seen an honest-to-God horror movie in a long time.