Message for all C&CS and KOTC members

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Re: Message for all C&CS and KOTC members

Post by T1Hound »

We're dealing with a rules light old school gaming product and becoming involved with C&C means you're taking a different road. It's a tough gritty system. Clerics aren't Pathfinder healing batteries, you're not going to be having great cleave by 5th level, etc. It's what I like.

The gamers I've met in the area haven't heard of it. By running games, I probably sold 6 copies of the players guide. I've run 2 events at a local con - one had 3 players, the other failed to get a player. I've run old classic events like G1 and G2. Players loved it and enjoyed the homebrew adventures and campaigns.

FLGS is a bit of a bust. Younger kids want 5E, slightly older kids want Pathfinder and bling. I'm competing against games that they can play anywhere. Best I can do is, come on give it a shot, it's like gaming was 20 years ago, it's fast to learn, and great to play.

---------------------------------
Want to grow a network? Let's start talking ideas and plans. How many kickstarters has TLG done? How many users do we have on here? Let's get a list down of all the emails sent. Let them know of events and conventions, proactively. "bring a friend" to the game, we can maybe get them $5 off a new books. New games or modules? Maybe that will work - what may work better is taking players back to the old school games that maybe they remember or heard of distantly. Plan some off the grid events at a big con or even on the grid.

Once you have data together on an email list, get a decent account with Survey Monkey where you can upload a CSV file with emails and be able to download results. Common link on the data is email (assumption - you buy something on kickstarter, it's the same email that a user may use for the forums. Ask them about TLG - listen to the customer.
GaryCon is a great place for C&C. It's filled with old school gamers most likely. Try to do a comparison of games between there and another con.

How organized are the C&C events being run? Are they pre-reg games, pickup games, or organized play?
(actually I'd love an electronic copy of the event list from GaryCon).

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

T1Hound wrote:We're dealing with a rules light old school gaming product and becoming involved with C&C means you're taking a different road. It's a tough gritty system. Clerics aren't Pathfinder healing batteries, you're not going to be having great cleave by 5th level, etc. It's what I like.

The gamers I've met in the area haven't heard of it. By running games, I probably sold 6 copies of the players guide. I've run 2 events at a local con - one had 3 players, the other failed to get a player. I've run old classic events like G1 and G2. Players loved it and enjoyed the homebrew adventures and campaigns.

FLGS is a bit of a bust. Younger kids want 5E, slightly older kids want Pathfinder and bling. I'm competing against games that they can play anywhere. Best I can do is, come on give it a shot, it's like gaming was 20 years ago, it's fast to learn, and great to play.

Want to grow a network? Let's start talking ideas and plans. How many kickstarters has TLG done? How many users do we have on here? Let's get a list down of all the emails sent. Let them know of events and conventions, proactively. "bring a friend" to the game, we can maybe get them $5 off a new books. New games or modules? Maybe that will work - what may work better is taking players back to the old school games that maybe they remember or heard of distantly. Plan some off the grid events at a big con or even on the grid.

Once you have data together on an email list, get a decent account with Survey Monkey where you can upload a CSV file with emails and be able to download results. Common link on the data is email (assumption - you buy something on kickstarter, it's the same email that a user may use for the forums. Ask them about TLG - listen to the customer.
GaryCon is a great place for C&C. It's filled with old school gamers most likely. Try to do a comparison of games between there and another con.

How organized are the C&C events being run? Are they pre-reg games, pickup games, or organized play?
(actually I'd love an electronic copy of the event list from GaryCon).
The event list from GaryCon is no longer accessible from their database. You can google to find a list of who ran how many games of what though.

We're reviving organized play. Tournaments - individual and team scored - and sanctioned events even if they're one round pre-registered non-scored events which are also helpful. Playtests of soon-to-be-published adventures. Original adventures from our own members. Adventure writing contests. Gaming clubs. Gaming club contests. Pre-gen characters should be provided unless otherwise specified in the event description. Pick up games that aren't willing to be run as network games will not get network support. Discounts on TLG products are already available for official C&C events. C&C pre-reg games should be organized to take place in a single larger room or general area at any convention. These goals can be accomplished - one convention or FLGS at a time.

As for Kickstarters... that's coming. One step at a time.
Keep running games. That's how we sell books. The more books we sell, the more players are out there helping sell books by playing. So great job and keep at it! Will have more to offer to help you in the near future.

Brian Miller
Promoting C&C at Gary Con and LGGC since 2005.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I've never run or played a game at a store or a convention, so all of this stuff is more or less irrelevant to me. Looks fine as far as I can tell.

But makes me wonder what use it is for me to be in KotC if it's just for supporting public games.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Aergraith wrote:I've never run or played a game at a store or a convention, so all of this stuff is more or less irrelevant to me. Looks fine as far as I can tell.

But makes me wonder what use it is for me to be in KotC if it's just for supporting public games.
The original intent of the KotC was to not only support public games, but to also be a repository for fan made content, a networking channel, and a way to recognize each other (either at local events or cons).

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

And you do get access to the library which is slowly filling up, chatroom, etc. Brian is focused on the game stuff as method of growing the membership and trying to get more folks actively involved.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Seconding what Rigon and Googleplex just wrote...

C&CS and KOTC also provide a way to find gamers in your area or for online gaming, a resource for new or upcoming gaming materials such as new adventures, classes, monsters, magic items, spells, etc. as well as a place to submit your own materials, enter contests, etc., along with cool home rules, answers for gaming related questions, discounts on TLG products, and eventually a cool gaming periodical and gaming shirts, hats, etc. If you haven't ever been to or held a gaming event, assistance in locating or planning and managing one will be another membership benefit. With all that on the anvil, a TLG or Siege Engine games enthusiast would clearly benefit from joining C&CS/KOTC.

Brian Miller
Promoting C&C at Gary Con and LGGC since 2005.

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Post by T1Hound »

So what is the overall plan and dates associated to all of this?