Gaming group size

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Gaming group size

Post by Captain_K »

We have a live table game, meet once a week. The group size was 4 then 5 then 6.. at times it can be as big as 7.
Q1: How to handle larger groups and keep them moving?
Q2: What is the ideal group size?

To me, 3 players each playing two PCs is dead fastest and most focused. Anything over 7 players seems to get side tracked easily.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Gaming group size

Post by Go0gleplex »

Ideal group size is 4-6 players.

My gaming groups up north in WA were between 10-20 people normally. To keep things moving you have to be a bit draconian. Limit the amount of side conversations and out of game kibitzing. Have good initiative tracking in place. Go around the table and get people's intended actions first. Limit note passing and do not leave the room for private conversations unless absolutely necessary. Even so, if you get 3-5 rooms done in a six hour window, you are progressing well. With the larger group I was part of in my HS years (26 people...we played in our host's three bay garage) if we got three rooms in eight hours we were flying through things. lol
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I recommend group initiative. You roll a d6, pick a player to roll a d6. Higher side goes first. Reroll ties. Pick a player and start with that PC. Then go clockwise or counterclockwise. Switch up which player you start with each round and reverse directions once in a while.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Kevin Siembieda over at Palladium often states how his groups number 14 to 20 or so, which blows my mind.

He produced an excellent resource years ago on running games in general, and he fits my style perfectly.

https://palladium-store.com/mm5/graphic ... -Guide.jpg
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

gabriellyon
Hlobane Orc

Post by gabriellyon »

I like about 4-6 @ my table. Usually covers all the bases and is totally manageable with everyone getting enough spotlight time.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

in the past I would say the best number of players was about 5. The past 10 years or so, I have had to get use to running between 9-12 players. It is tough, but with practice it can be achieved with some great results. There is no doubt, with groups this large there is a certain amount of detail in character that gets glossed over or sometimes may seem lacking. As a GM, you always try to keep everybody engaged, so not every player gets the grand monologue, or the keen focus. Battles with enemies take longer, and as GM you really have to stand up from the table anf put a but of theatrics into your descriptions and mannerisms to keep the people focused on the game, and not their phones, or chatting with each other about this and that.

Now, I would say I'm pretty comfortable running between 8-10 players with no problems. Its gone so far as on the few occasions where I am only running a game for a low number of people, say 3 or 4, that I get tripped up more often now. A smaller party accomplishes so much more in a lesser amount of time that sometimes I find it daunting to plan for.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

I think my ideal group size is 4-5 players.

One of the most important things for me is, when the group is getting bogged down in making a decision, knowing when to call for a vote on it. Discussion is fine, but as soon as two or three choices emerge, make sure not to let it drag on too much further.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Captain_K wrote:We have a live table game, meet once a week. The group size was 4 then 5 then 6.. at times it can be as big as 7.
Q1: How to handle larger groups and keep them moving?
Q2: What is the ideal group size?

To me, 3 players each playing two PCs is dead fastest and most focused. Anything over 7 players seems to get side tracked easily.

A1: Keep them focused. If that means you need to cheat and use props to help, especially with combat, do so. Remove distractions and disruptions.
A2: 5-6, for me.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yep, the CK has to keep things moving, so you have to know where your taking them. The more you stop to look things up, to verify, etc... the more your chances of losing them increase. Fake it if you have to.

My ideal group size is 6.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I like between 4-6 players. That seems to be my sweet spot.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

When I DM, the ideal group size is 6 players. If everyone shows then great! Many times someone will have to work, family issue will arise, etc. so that drops the group down to 5 players which is still great.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

RunningLaser
Mist Elf

Post by RunningLaser »

I've played in a group that had 12-15 players- it was a bit chaotic. I prefer playing in groups of 4-6.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

3 on the low end, 6 or 7 on the high end depending on what is being played.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I play with 4-5, usually. I like 5 - in my experience, the dynamic totally changes. When there's 4 they make sure they get the classic roles filled. But when there's 5, it's different; a barbarian and a ranger makes up for the front line fighter, or (in 3.x games) a druid and a paladin can cover for a cleric. In C&C I like seeing 5 players, because usually someone goes for a "less vital" class (bard, knight, illusionist, assassin, for example).
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

I tend to prefer 3-5, as it allows for a well-rounded party without too much table chaos. However, Mark Rein Hagen (Vampire: The Masquerade and more recently I Am Zombie) has an interesting article with suggestions how to run an effective rpg with only one PC. For those interested, it can be found here.

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

One CK and one PC is my choice. Parties of 4 to 6 PCs are good.