Which class would you drop from C&C, if you had to.

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Which class would you drop from C&C, if you had to.

Post by slimykuotoan »

Absolutely had to be done.

Which would it be?
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

maximus
Ulthal

Re: Which class would you drop from C&C, if you had to.

Post by maximus »

Illusionist. I hate tricksters.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Assassin.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

"Had to be done"? I think you meant to write "Absolutely get to do it." If I could only pick one class to jettison, it would be the paladin. I hates 'em. Then I'd boot the knight followed by the barbarian. Of course, I've already done that for my home game.

But let's take it to the next level and answer your question assuming I have already eliminated the loathsome paladin, knight, and barbarian. And also assuming we are only talking about the core classes from the PHB. I'm okay with all of the other PHB classes. I really like all of them. But if you put a gun to my head, I'd probably get rid of the bard, mostly because I'm not a fan of their ability to aid other PCs in SIEGE checks.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The Assassin.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

Assassin, Cleric, Illusionist, Bard, Knight

MLMartin97
Skobbit

Post by MLMartin97 »

The Assassin. Largely redundant and alien to my preferred heroic, "Paladins & Princesses" style of play.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

Illusionist first, Knight second, Assassin third. Mostly because another class can easily fill the void with good role-playing and character development. Wizard fills Illusionist, Fighter fills Knight, Rogue or Fighter fills Assassin.

Just my 2cents

Zardnaar
Ungern

Post by Zardnaar »

Bard, Knight maybe Barbarian.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Barbarian, bard, knight, and monk.
  • Barbarians and knights can be replaced with a standard fighter and some role playing skill.
  • The monk carries clear oriental influences, and thus is inappropriate for a pseudo-European setting. Perhaps if he were redesigned to be like the Knights Templar, Europe's warrior monks, I'd think differently.
  • Bards are not a player character class, period. They sing about the adventurers but don't adventure themselves.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Knight, but I wouldn't drop it, I'd combine it with paladin and make it so alignment can be LG, LN or LE.
Promoting C&C at Gary Con and LGGC since 2005.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

The illusionist spells would just be part of the mage.. without the heal. You can be an illusionist simply by knowing those spells. Further I would put better limits on those that are not well defined.
The knight and the paladin would be combined - not so horse related, have the horse powers, but not such a focus that in a dungeon they'd suck.
The monk would split into a warrior cleric and an "Asian" like ADD monk
The assassin I would keep for sure, got to have the dark, without it the light has no brightness
The bard I would change or revert to more like the ADD version or something really different.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

gabriellyon
Hlobane Orc

Post by gabriellyon »

Going to have to go with assassin myself.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Well . . . I wouldn't want to drop any class, but if you held a crossbow to my gonads and squeezed the trigger a bit ~ I would loose the monk. I played one once about 10 years ago and enjoyed it as it fit into the CK's world nicely.
He definitely was Asian style . . Cane a la Kung Fu.

8-)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

I've run a Shaulin temple campaign with monks training in skills one potentially lethal test at a time but developing skills beyond C&C monks. example, put your hands in the burning embers of the fire, then place them in the "soothing white sands" (i.e. salt major ouch). Toughens the hands. Break wood with hands for fire pits, breaking fingers, but toughening bones to gain iron hands technique. I added everything I loved from Black Belt Theater shows in the 80's. All the kung fu styles with ranks they could gain, and even included the flying guillotines. People loved it.

As for assassins, players like them more if you let them drop an assassin skill or two in trade for a rogue skill or two so they customize a half assassin/half rogue. Then they're more playable and popular.
Promoting C&C at Gary Con and LGGC since 2005.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

The key for assassin has been for me skills with poisons for extra damage or special affect, the killing like backstabbing is always hard to make happen.. lots of build up for usually no affect.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Barbarian. To me, this should have been a racial option and not a class choice. I always felt that the barbarian was a way for folks to powergame a Conan character, and have never liked the class going back to my AD&D days.

Not a big fan of illusionist either, but at least it's a real class with a purpose.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

All of them.

I prefer making characters to the specifications of the player.

However, for archetype play, if that's how we wanted to play... really only need fighter, magic-user and thief. So, I'd remove the others.