Supporting C&C and TLG

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
mgtremaine
Ulthal

Re: Supporting C&C and TLG

Post by mgtremaine »

signed up..

@Serleran when I converted the old boards to the this board I'm pretty sure I had special filter for 1 of you other accounts I think it was gleemaxjr to put those posts into Serleran. Still I'm sure things where lost and post counts are off but thought you'd think it was funny that at least I noticed that small detail.

-Mike

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Yep, I am a man on a mission...or should I say one of many knights on a crusade. :) We can do this! I'm already seeing that we have lots of talent in KOTC. Just need to put all those skills and creativity to good use where the public can appreciate our efforts and the excellent game and products TLG has created. :)

I realize that we all have lives and question how much time we can commit. But with enough people involved, the time and effort requirements are distributed broadly and just about anything is feasible without placing too much responsibility on a single person or few people's shoulders (a mistake from the past that kept us from growing and frustrated those who put in lots of time and effort). We also need to view our success as being our responsibility, not that of TLG. We can consult with them regarding our projects, but we shouldn't expect them to be our go to people. We are our go to peple as well as the go to organization for TLG! Stephen and the rest of the trolls are busy with publication, production, marketing, public relations and sales.

We are basically on our own though we can look to TLG for official endorsements and materials support of our events and publications once we've given them a detailed description of exactly what we're doing, who our contacts are for various projects and what we need from TLG to accomplish our game days and convention events. We can't expect them to drop what they're doing to champion our ideas and activities. We are the champions of a crusade that has been around for years, an unrealized idea whose time has come.

The "Field of Dreams" idea that if you build it they will come is not wrong, it just requires a physical presence and effective marketing. Our baseball diamond consists of gaming tables at public locations. People will come if they know about and can actually see first hand what we're doing. And Stephen has assured me that if we get events that draw enough people, TLG will send a TLG representative if one isn't there already.

I'll get to work on a full business plan for KOTC. We'll need one to move forward because it identifies our Vision, Mission, Organizational Model, Corporate Structure, Corporate Culture, Goals, etc. and provides a schedule and deadlines for tasks that need to be accomplished to get up and running and plans for future growth. Legal and Financial aspects will be involved once we get to that point, but the horse must come before the cart. For an idea to be realized, it must be structured into identified tasks and attainable goals which layout a model of our organization and a blueprint of what needs to be done in what order and by whom.

To get started, we need to determine our tangible and non-tangible resources. For example, do we have a logo? Do we have layout people? Do we have artists? Do we have editors? I know we have talented authors and mappers and gamers (which is awesome because I don't like mapping). I want to compile a list of who is good at what including who does what for a profession so we can break down our talent pool into tangible resources. Don't worry I'm not looking to ask people to commit a bunch of time to some project. Just want to know who would make good advisers on different projects and who likes to do what as a hobby. That's a start.

Treebore, my friend and distant cousin, I look forward to seeing the results of your and other's efforts on next Doomesday issues. I take it you're handling content and editing, Who is handling the layout and artwork? Don't take it all on your own shoulders. If you haven't got somebody to do the other tasks required, let me know and I'll rally some help and send them your way. I don't want anyone feeling overwhelmed and frustrated from being expected to do too much and not getting enough support and cooperation.

Aside from the Doomesday which was ahead of its time all along since we didn't have a ground presence yet, we'll need tournament adventures as well as Pre-gen characters in groups of 6 that are well rounded to balance the party in terms of classes and abilities (i.e. each character should be the star of the group in some way and be able to cause roughly equal damage so each player gets an equal chance to shine during game play). Submissions should be done to the KOTC website since our GMs will be looking there for their downloadable C&C event materials. If you have something to submit and haven't joined KOTC already, please do so. The goal is to make the TLG Forum a location for posts and discussions and move content to KOTC. The longer people game, the more they start writing their own materials. With the combined gaming experience of forum members, I am absolutely certain there's tons of fresh gaming material out there.

To establish a ground game, we need to be hosting events at conventions and hobby stores, etc. Some are already and we need to get those events under a KOTC/TLG banner. Local gaming tables where RPGA got it's start and grew in membership. Games at grade schools became conventions. Conventions became events at hotels. Events at hotels became events in public centers and arenas like Gen Con and other huge gaming conventions. From gamers and game tables came a gaming organization. A physical presence shows we aren't just an idea or a virtual organization or few people trying to pull off miracles. And each one we do gives TLG a chance to sell books which makes them want to back us more. As Stephen told me back at Lake Geneva Gaming Convention, "Let your daughter handle reg desk. You go run games so I sell books". It's a simple philosophy but it works. For example, our C&C tourney at Gary Con sent a number of people to the TLG vendor's booth that wouldn't have otherwise stopped by there. The better TLG does, the better we do. TLG sponsored prizes once Stephen knew that we pulled it off without TLG needing to be involved. And that's what we need to do. We execute our plans first, then TLG supports our success. Their involvement shouldn't be necessary until we've showed them we've taken matters into our own hands.

For example, I recently organized a tournament for Gary Con that filled tables with new C&C gamers. Very few were members of this forum but many of those who played were interested in more C&C events and would've joined KOTC if we had membership enrollment available. To do that only took 5 people who committed some time to helping out over the course of 4 days. Not much to ask especially since 4 of those 5 were GMs running a game they love to run and would do in their spare time anyway. The other was my girlfriend Heather who wanted to manage scoring and posting advancements. What we need is people to champion C&C events like that. I watched some of you run other C&C games there. There are "rogue" C&C games like that at almost every con and at hobby stores. We need to bring those games under our banner to become part of the KOTC presence and experience. To do that, we need to know who goes to what conventions each year. So we'll need that list too.

Okay, I've tossed some thoughts out there. Give me some feedback.
Promoting C&C at Gary Con and LGGC since 2005.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Miller...definitely gungho but several of those things have been established already. Would be very advisable to discuss with Steve at this point. ;)
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Yes, Google, i have to talk to Stephen or whoever is keeping track of C&C activities at conventions and hobby shops beyond Gary Con. Glad to hear some organization is already in place! That's great news! How can I help? :)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I'm doing layout in the next week or two. That will show me how much artwork I'd like to have, so will send requests to those who have volunteered their talents, and will give them time to do them. Once I have however much will be done, then I will finalize it and send it to Tim for approval and being put up at the Knights website.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

gabriellyon
Hlobane Orc

Post by gabriellyon »

miller6 wrote:Some are already and we need to get those events under a KOTC/TLG banner.
Could you expand on this a little. I do a number of games every year locally to promote C&C but all I really felt was missing was some kind of event pack that could be sent out. A players pack with basic rule notes and a character notes page, maybe a nice poster with an area to list the next events date. Troll Lord games is not a big time publisher with money to burn and time to waste so I wanted to keep my expectations of support reasonable. The title recognition given by joining the knights is a kind of fun little bonus. I would love to hear what you are imagining getting under the banner would entail.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

RPGA was the successful business model to follow. Once we have a C&C room at conventions it becomes an attraction, fills up all the tables and has more people wanting in on the games. Then we require 1 year memberships to play in KOTC events. For each membership you gain access to swag items as well. i.e. shirts, jackets, hats, tote bags, patches, mugs, etc.and the doomesday issue. Membership also provides a discount on TLG items which means more sales for TLG. That'll make Stephen happy. Those are ways to raise funds so we don't need TLG to chip in. And as prizes we offer free 1 year memberships which boosts our enrollement and brings us new talent. Both ways we draw new recruits. Eventually we run our own conventions full of KOTC events and draws vendors that want to be where the gamers are. That generates even more revenue. We also publish some of our material from events. Yet more revenue. The idea is to establish an organization where membership has benefits that people want and would pay for because what we offer is worth $25 a year or so. That's just over 2 bucks a month which a Doomesday issue alone is worth. Multiply that by hundreds if not thousands of members and we can fund lots of KOTC activities.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

As for the local hobby shop games. You guys need support! A banner, swag, membership recruitment forms, adventures and other gaming materials. TLG is already offering PHs and M&Ts and adventures to get you going. We will get you what you need. Who are you coordinating with. Don't go to TLG directly. They want us to handle it and let them know what we need. Let us know what you need and we'll talk to the trolls since we have their ears.

Anyone out there running hobby shop games, chime in. I need a list of who you are and where you run your games. I will make sure you get your support.

gabriellyon
Hlobane Orc

Post by gabriellyon »

I have sent emails and posted on the society board when events are planned to get support but have never really gotten any. So no one I guess. I was not aware that tlg offered book and adventure support until now. Frankly with the recent three sisters kickstarter, I am good for both phb and m&t. Adventures though would certainly be helpful. Nice one off games like what the trolls do for free rpg day. Since I keep reusing the free rpg day games I have started to look for other adventures like them. As I have stated somewhere before, not sure where, banner/poster, players pack (basic rules gist, players notes area, advertisement page kind of thing), swag is ok but would be better if I was running at a convention. Since you are offering to champion for us store running troll subjects, I can pm you my info. Our next big C&C store events are free rpg day and the Fall C&C demo month in October. After that it will be International game day at our University Library. Hey how about a nice pull over hoodie with C&C branding? That would be pretty cool. I'd buy one of those.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

gabriellyon wrote:I have sent emails and posted on the society board when events are planned to get support but have never really gotten any. So no one I guess. I was not aware that tlg offered book and adventure support until now. Frankly with the recent three sisters kickstarter, I am good for both phb and m&t. Adventures though would certainly be helpful. Nice one off games like what the trolls do for free rpg day. Since I keep reusing the free rpg day games I have started to look for other adventures like them. As I have stated somewhere before, not sure where, banner/poster, players pack (basic rules gist, players notes area, advertisement page kind of thing), swag is ok but would be better if I was running at a convention. Since you are offering to champion for us store running troll subjects, I can pm you my info. Our next big C&C store events are free rpg day and the Fall C&C demo month in October. After that it will be International game day at our University Library. Hey how about a nice pull over hoodie with C&C branding? That would be pretty cool. I'd buy one of those.
Gabriellyon, I hear you, and, I'm working on it. :)