C&C and pathfinder adventure paths

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
gabriellyon
Hlobane Orc

C&C and pathfinder adventure paths

Post by gabriellyon »

I have have been looking to run a bit more low prep C&C home game. Demands on my time increase while my free time decreases. I had tossed around the idea that maybe it might be worth looking at pathfinder adventure paths. Having no experience with the system, I was wondering, has any one run one using C&C and if so how much additional work was it to convert?
Thanks for any input you can provide.

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: C&C and pathfinder adventure paths

Post by Treebore »

The biggest problem with using anything long term from 3E/Pathfinder is the expectations for how fast you level. The Adventure Paths expect you to go from level 1 to level 15 or so, while doing XP the way C&C does it, you might make it to level 8, which makes it kind of hard to fight the 15th level monsters in the AP. So if you want to do it, throw out XP tracking all together, and just level them as the AP says to level them.

That, or fill in the gaps with a lot more published adventures from other sources.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

SmokestackJones
Hlobane Orc

Post by SmokestackJones »

From what I've seen, steer clear of the Adventure Paths and use the regular PF Modules instead. Easier to gague and adjust levels and they can be found cheaply (I'm always seeing piles of 'em at Half-Price Books for about $6-$7).

-SJ

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I think that is how I would do it, combine modules with each other, or with one or two or three parts of an AP. Use what I have to build an adventure path I want to do, and that would work out with how C&C does XP. Of course, the real question is, will your group remain reliable enough to complete the campaign idea? Regardless, putting it together with smaller modules is more to my liking, since its typically how I build my campaigns anyways, and put in a piece of my own here and there.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

The following opinion is from a guy who's run two modules in the last 30 years... use the ones you have in an order that allows your characters to grow and have fun.. if that means throwing the experience point system out the window.. do it. If you're time is efficiently used by laying out the stuff in a certain order and the PC must "level up" at odd or fast rates.. does anyone really care? Do it, have fun, your time as the CK should be strongly considered as paramount since, well, no you, no game!
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

gabriellyon
Hlobane Orc

Post by gabriellyon »

Thanks all. I think I will take the advice given and skip the Adventure paths then. Guess I will just have to increase my collection of modules.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

That Iron Gods setting has been calling out to me. Just not sure if I want to screw with all of the conversions, etc. I've been playing in somebody's PF Skulls and Shackles game as of late. Hasn't been too bad. I don't have to know the rules (for the most part), and he's been doing it without miniatures. Still prefer C&C, but it hasn't been too bad. The roleplaying has really made the game, and the setting is good.

bugleyman
Skobbit

Post by bugleyman »

gabriellyon wrote:Thanks all. I think I will take the advice given and skip the Adventure paths then. Guess I will just have to increase my collection of modules.
Keep an eye out on Paizo.com; they put the older (3.5E, rather than Pathfinder) modules on sale for like $5 a pop once a year or so...
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."
― The Dalai Lama