Black Box?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Piperdog
Unkbartig

Black Box?

Post by Piperdog »

Can anybody tell me what Steve is cryptically talking about when he mentions the Black Box? He also references a new companion for the white box set in this last update on the home page. Am I getting excited for no reason, or is there some anniversary set about to come out at Gen Con? Anybody know anything about this, or am I reading too much into this?

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Re: Black Box?

Post by Litzen Tallister »

Sounds like there's something to be read into regarding the anniversary. I'm not sure about a companion to the white box set (which was introduced to me as the "Beer and Pretzels" set, but I doubt the companion being referred to is a six pack and a bag of pretzels ;) ), but it's neat to hear about.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Piperdog wrote:Can anybody tell me what Steve is cryptically talking about when he mentions the Black Box? He also references a new companion for the white box set in this last update on the home page. Am I getting excited for no reason, or is there some anniversary set about to come out at Gen Con? Anybody know anything about this, or am I reading too much into this?
Yes. :twisted:

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

According to Steve in the final hours (?) of the Kickstarter, he hinted at a 'Black Box'. Picture something like the White Collector's box but, instead of more of the same, with a few surprises including material taken / borrowed from the sort of stuff you'd expect to see in the Adventurer's Backpack which allows for a better customization or creation of character classes (new classes?) -- possibly racial classes. It's also to celebrate a couple of important anniversaries ... the game that started it all (40 years now) as well as C&C's 10th.

Very vague on the details but if it happens, it will be a Gencon release.

M

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

They come with an animated hand grasping a scroll bearing the official Seal of He Who Sits on the Elephant's Back which, if taken and read, causes the nearest corpse (within 100 miles) to rise and seek the summoner...

So mote it be.

Actually, no real idea. There have been several thoughts bounced back and around for some time. It will probably be none and all of them.

Warunsun
Hlobane Orc

Post by Warunsun »

moriarty777 wrote:Very vague on the details but if it happens, it will be a Gencon release.
I'd rather see the Trolls focus on fulfilling the two Kickstarters already in production than working on side projects. I am much more excited to see the fruits of the Three Sisters edited and in color. :)

zacharythefirst
Red Cap

Post by zacharythefirst »

I cannot wait for Gen Con. I will be there, Day 1, ready for whatever this is.

And let's not forget the blurb on the front of the main site right now. 15 years at Gen Con! Doesn't seem that long!
So in the midst of all the echoes that are the battles of Codex Nordica and Three Sisters Kickstarters and the coming battle with Amazing Adventures we are looking across the wide field at Gencon. This is going to be a special Gencon by any account. It was 15 years ago this August that TLG debuted her signature line of adventures and campaign setting. It was Ten years ago, this August, that TLG debuted the white box for Castles & Crusades.

Its something to celebrate! And celebrate we will. Its high time the white box received a companion.
Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
-Tennyson

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I need more digest-sized C&C box sets.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Honestly, this is the year that the white box rules themselves should receive a revision, to go along with the rumored black box.

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

Omote wrote:I need more digest-sized C&C box sets.

~O
As much as I love the full-sized C&C stuff, the white box set is great for taking on trips where there's a chance of playing a game of Castles & Crusades, but not guaranteed enough to warrant hauling the full-size hardcovers around.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Litzen Tallister wrote:
Omote wrote:I need more digest-sized C&C box sets.
As much as I love the full-sized C&C stuff, the white box set is great for taking on trips where there's a chance of playing a game of Castles & Crusades, but not guaranteed enough to warrant hauling the full-size hardcovers around.
I'm the opposite. If I take a trip, I can take my C&C as a single volume hardback (the PH; I "wing it" for monsters most of the time) and don't worry about it getting beat up. If I took a boxed set I would be afraid that the box corners would get crunched or something. :(

Having said that, I'd be interested in learning more about this mysterious Black Box rules set. If it's a GenCon thing, will there be an option for those of us who don't attend GenCon?
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

finarvyn wrote:Having said that, I'd be interested in learning more about this mysterious Black Box rules set. If it's a GenCon thing, will there be an option for those of us who don't attend GenCon?
I'm positive that the fine folks at TLG will have this available to order after Gencon. Very much like the flip-book or even the white box set which don't end up in stores, they are available at their online store.

:)

M

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Warunsun wrote:
moriarty777 wrote:Very vague on the details but if it happens, it will be a Gencon release.
I'd rather see the Trolls focus on fulfilling the two Kickstarters already in production than working on side projects. I am much more excited to see the fruits of the Three Sisters edited and in color. :)
There is only so much that can be done to move this along quicker... the PHB is done and has started to appear in the wild. The Codex Noridica is just about to ship out as soon as they receive the books from the printers (they outsource the hardcover print jobs). As for the rest of the latest Kickstarter, if not actually being printed, the majority of the work has to do with color for the artwork and layout. The edits are likely already in place (and this was in the works for weeks before the Kickstarter even launched).

So, why not do a bit more if they can at all help it? Provided that it is done well, I will be happy to see this little box and other surprises for GenCon and the months that follow. :)

With all that said, I certainly think that the 'three sisters' are the number one priority since it would just be that much more of a solid boost for them to have all three books available for GenCon.

M

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Anything from Arcana Creations in the pipeline to capitalize on the new C&C books?
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Aergraith wrote:Anything from Arcana Creations in the pipeline to capitalize on the new C&C books?
A very good question and the short answer is yes.

Sadly, things have been clogged in that pipeline for MONTHS.

It's no secret that I have planned no less than 2-3 releases this year and that, ideally, they should have been out by now. While I have considered crowdfunding this the general sentiment and growing backlash against certain projects like Kickstarter due to bad experiences that many have had, I have tried to stay away from this altogether. What this means is that I've been trying to do everything out of pocket like a responsible hobby-publisher but, with bad luck and a shoestring budget, haven't managed to raise the capital to get the art done and other necessary bits. The writing is done and editing is done on two of the three modules. Even layout has been done but is likely to get revamped one last time.

So, despite my efforts to avoid it, I will like be forced to go the Indiegogo route (as opposed to Kickstarter) to finish up the projects and get this into the hands of interested gamers.

But who knows... it a few things work out for me in the next few weeks, the time table may be advanced considerably as to what I had planned to do.

M

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Thing is, Indegogo sort of sucks. I can't find the article I read breaking it down, but giant 2" foam dice ran on Indegogo and failed, then repeated on KS and hit like 1000% of goal with not a single difference in how they ran the campaigns (they say). it's 90% that KS has the market on crowdsourcing. KS projects just see more eyeballs.

of course TableTop prooves me wrong, but that's TableTop.

I'm assuming the draw is the flexible funding option vs. the all or nothing with KS.

Whatever you do, I'm in! :D
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Relaxo wrote:Thing is, Indegogo sort of sucks. I can't find the article I read breaking it down, but giant 2" foam dice ran on Indegogo and failed, then repeated on KS and hit like 1000% of goal with not a single difference in how they ran the campaigns (they say). it's 90% that KS has the market on crowdsourcing. KS projects just see more eyeballs.

of course TableTop prooves me wrong, but that's TableTop.

I'm assuming the draw is the flexible funding option vs. the all or nothing with KS.

Whatever you do, I'm in! :D
Indiegogo vs Kickstarter:

True... Kickstarter is a win for the number of people it draws to it. But it isn't just the flexible funding option I was considering, it's more about the flexible payment options that I'm concerned about.

Indiegogo allows for Paypal which is huge advantage and the problem with Kickstarter is that Amazon Payments is *not* used for projects created outside the US. You still use a Credit Card but not through the convenience of Amazon and that is a big one. I have seen some people in the US turned off by the lack of the Amazon Payments option.

Frankly, the way around that would be to have someone in the US create and handle the project for me but I really would rather not. Besides, the one person I would be comfortable to do this with in the States currently is still trying to fulfill an unrelated Kickstarter and it's taken long enough time and there has been a lot of backlash as a result. I fear that it would could negatively impact this one as well.

The situation kind of sucks but my goal isn't to make TONS of money on the project (though that would be nice), it's to fund what's needed to get the project completed and delivered to backers. Once 'out', it will still be available via POD for anyone looking for physical copies and, there may even be an initial print batch done for proper distribution depending on the overall success of the campaign.

Of course, you surely realize that very first module I'm talking about funding to complete is yours right? I'm certain I already have your support on that endeavor. ;)

M

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Troll Lord,
any chance you can give us some of the juicy details on the black box yet? I am insanely curious at this point!

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

moriarty777 wrote: Indiegogo allows for Paypal which is huge advantage and the problem with Kickstarter is that Amazon Payments is *not* used for projects created outside the US. You still use a Credit Card but not through the convenience of Amazon and that is a big one.
Ahhh, I had no idea about this.
Frankly, the way around that would be to have someone in the US create and handle the project for me but I really would rather not. Besides... I fear that it would could negatively impact this one as well.
I believe you are right about this.
Of course, you surely realize that very first module I'm talking about funding to complete is yours right? I'm certain I already have your support on that endeavor. ;)
I had assumed/hoped. :D
I'll pledge as much as I can :LOL:
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

moriarty777 wrote:Indiegogo allows for Paypal which is huge advantage and the problem with Kickstarter is that Amazon Payments is *not* used for projects created outside the US. You still use a Credit Card but not through the convenience of Amazon and that is a big one. I have seen some people in the US turned off by the lack of the Amazon Payments option.
This is a problem for me for sure. I don't have any credit cards and refuse to get a credit card. So, if I want to participate with Kickstarter I have to do it offline, which TLG has been very gracious about doing, even though I know it is an extra layer of hassle for them. So, I've been apart of TLG Kickstarters but I've never officially signed on to Kickstarter itself.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Sir Ironside wrote:
moriarty777 wrote:Indiegogo allows for Paypal which is huge advantage and the problem with Kickstarter is that Amazon Payments is *not* used for projects created outside the US. You still use a Credit Card but not through the convenience of Amazon and that is a big one. I have seen some people in the US turned off by the lack of the Amazon Payments option.
This is a problem for me for sure. I don't have any credit cards and refuse to get a credit card. So, if I want to participate with Kickstarter I have to do it offline, which TLG has been very gracious about doing, even though I know it is an extra layer of hassle for them. So, I've been apart of TLG Kickstarters but I've never officially signed on to Kickstarter itself.
Well, I would be very interested in hearing *your* opinion in this matter. Assuming that what was being developed / crowdfunded was something that you were interested and had confidence in, would Indiegogo be a preferred option for you or would you prefer Kickstarter as long as there was an 'offline' or Paypal option after the fact (either during or after the Kickstarter)?

M

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Any news on this? I will know soon enough I guess once I hit the Trolls booth at Gencon, but dang! I want to know NOW. 8-)

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

You tell 'em Piperdog!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

zacharythefirst
Red Cap

Post by zacharythefirst »

This is currently #1 on my list at Gen Con....I HAVE to see what is in this.... I GOTS TO KNOW. :)
Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
-Tennyson

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Gaaaaaaah! I need to know!

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

It's a simple black box containing:

1. A can of Dr. Pepper
2. Roll of duct tape
3. 1-sheet pamphlet with suggestions for use of both
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Sir Ironside wrote: This is a problem for me for sure. I don't have any credit cards and refuse to get a credit card. So, if I want to participate with Kickstarter I have to do it offline, which TLG has been very gracious about doing, even though I know it is an extra layer of hassle for them. So, I've been apart of TLG Kickstarters but I've never officially signed on to Kickstarter itself.
Every bank ATM I've seen in the last 15 years (USofA) is a Visa or MC for purposes of using for something like Kickstarter. But not really a CREDITcard...
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Arduin wrote:Every bank ATM I've seen in the last 15 years (USofA) is a Visa or MC for purposes of using for something like Kickstarter. But not really a CREDITcard...
I live in Canada and bank ATM cards are just that ATM cards. Either way, it doesn't matter I don't own a ATM card either. I also have my money in a credit union.

To be honest I'm really not all that much up on the type of banking cards that are available here in Canada. Maybe there is one like you say the U.S. has. I know there are "faux" gift card's that act like credit cards available in different denominations, but those cost much more than what is printed on the card.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Piperdog wrote:Gaaaaaaah! I need to know!
Piper, not sure if you read the blog, but Steve has been posting excerpts from the "Of Gods and Monster of Aihrde" which also says "Black Box". I wish one of my good friends going to GenCon would pick me up a copy of the Black Box and mail it to me.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

seskis281 wrote:It's a simple black box containing:

1. A can of Dr. Pepper
2. Roll of duct tape
3. 1-sheet pamphlet with suggestions for use of both
I'm glad the cats out of the bag. Did Steve reveal this to you?