Alternate XP Awards

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Alternate XP Awards

Post by Julian Grimm »

I have been using this system for awhile since I am not fond of the XP awards in C&C. I got the idea from Original D&D and adapted it for use in C&C. The idea is that XP is based on number of Hit Dice and Hit Die type. The beauty is that you can get out of the lower levels a bit faster but you end up in the mid-level 'sweet spot' longer. It works pretty well in my games and I wanted to share:

Code: Select all

[u]Die Type[/u]        [u]XP Value[/u]

D4                         50
          D6                         75
          D8                        100
         D10                        125
         D12                        150
         D20                        175

So, a 3D8 HD monster has an xp award of 300xp and you don't have to calculate per HD awards either.

Thoughts?
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Alternate XP Awards

Post by Arduin »

Julian Grimm wrote: So, a 3D8 HD monster has an xp award of 300xp and you don't have to calculate per HD awards either.

Thoughts?
Doesn't take into account a 3HD monster with magic and special defenses from one with just "mundane" fighting ability, et al...
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

I kinda dig the expediency of it. I might give it a shot.

treant_on_fire
Red Cap

Post by treant_on_fire »

To be honest, your XP awards just don't take into account the more important aspects of a monster, and while hit dice do affect a monster's HPs, C&C does give extra XP for each hit point the creature has, so that's covered already!

I understand the whole idea of getting players out of the lower levels faster, but you can always beef up RP awards...

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I never liked calculating XP for the number of hit points, it was a pain in the butt in 1e and it still is in C&C. As for magic or special abilities the system I borrowed this from (OD&D) did not account for such things until the Greyhawk supplement. I wanted to emulate that aspect.
Lord Skystorm

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Pretty interesting JG. Do you do anything with the +X experience points that are in the standard system? Arduin mentions it, sort of, because this +xp/hp mechanic is supposed to take care of the extra abilities the monster in question possesses.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

It's just a flat award based off HD. I do some on the fly changes if a monster gets a bit too tough for them, usually I move the HD type up a notch.
Lord Skystorm