Rhu's Sunday ~ Scandia, The Last Druid/Gaxmoor

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Rhu's Sunday ~ Scandia, The Last Druid/Gaxmoor

Post by Tadhg »

Chonicles of Scandia ~ The Last Druid as told by Gaston the Bard

Prologue:

At the Grand Lodge Council Meeting – Druid’s Grove in the Sylvan Woods.

Nicodemus, reporting at the behest of his High Druid – Eusebius the Wise.

The lodge is a beautiful round building constructed of wood beams with oak trim. The wood is polished and wonderfully decorated. Garden plants and flowers are in abundance around the complex.

A call to order by Nicodemus and the council begins as Eusebius looks around and says:

“Welcome druids! And a special welcome to our guest, Galathil - who nods to the group smiling.

Needless to say, but things have progressed rapidly since last week to a juncture in time that requires extraordinary measures. I’ll speak about this in a few moments.

But first, I’m loath to tell you the following news:

Our druid copper orb of power has been stolen from my office.”

A hush goes over the council and then much chatter begins, as the Eusebius takes a drink of wine to fortify himself.

“Yes, Penrod witnessed a strange humanoid creature running from the lodge yesterday when we were out fighting that orc patrol. He couldn’t catch him, but was able to track him to Dwarf Hill. Not surprising – since we know that is where the orcs are, using the old abandoned complex as their stronghold.”

Nicodemus recognizes the young druid Artemis, who speaks:

“My Lord High Druid, we should mount a full assault on the complex to find our stolen orb!”

This is followed by some low level chatter of support among the younger druids.

Eusebius looks down from his chair on the dais, and says,

“I agree completely good Artemis, but not yet. We need some assistance. And that’s why I’ve called the council together. There are some usual strong forces guiding these orcs and I’m feeling some very powerful evil elements on the wind.

So, I’m traveling to Fountains Abbey to see Sir Regis and seek his advice as to how to proceed. There is nothing happening in Scandia that he doesn’t know about, thanks to his great gnome advisor, Laroo.”

A young druid initiate raises his hand and is recognized by Nicodemus.

“Lord High Druid, you mention some strong force may be helping our enemies. And so, I re-call my father telling me of a druid of this order that was cast out some many years ago. Whatever became of him?”

Eusebius nods remembering and understanding why Bartimius would ask the question:

“Indeed, Bartimius. He was cast out, but left the continent and has never been heard from again since that time. But you generate a possibility that I must present to Sir Regis. He and his staff know almost everything that is happening around our world.

And thank you for reminding me about . . the ex druid ~ Boniface! He wasn’t a bad fellow, but wished to follow his own path rather than that of our order.”

Suddenly, a young druid girl/woman says, “Lord High Druid, is it true that there is a Silver Dragon in the mountain peak above Fountains Abbey?”

Nicodemus stares down the young druid, who flushes and bows and then sits down.

“Ah, it’s OK Nicodemus. Arise young Winifryde, all druids need to know that, yes – there is a mighty Silver Dragon that lives up in the high peaks and guards all of Scandia and most of the northern continent. My uncle told me tales of Argenteus when I was a young lad. He is a champion of everything that we druids espouse and a powerful ally against evil all through our woods and forest lands.”

Eusebius takes a breath while seemingly thinking as he looks at the wall above the council . . and then continues:

“Alas, if only King Argenteus were here to help us. But he had not been seen in many years. But I’m sure Sir Regis will know what we can do.

So, I leave tomorrow to be gone for less than a day. Nicodemus will lead you and act as your leader. Galathil will leave 6 of his archers here to assist with the protection of our grove.

Artemis, Galathil and Winifryde will accompany me. And now, let’s have dinner and tomorrow morn we will make haste to the abbey!”

Nicodemus nods to Seamus, the cook who then signals the acolytes to bring food and wine to the table.

A splendid dinner is had, even if the druid grove is on full alert. The acolytes and novices take their turns outside on patrols, relieving others who have been on guard.

The night passes peacefully.

[Grand total XP = 6052 per PC ~ as of 6/7/17]
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Rhu's Sunday game ~ The Last Druid

Post by Tadhg »

I plan to run this with Maptools, but am trying to improve my Roll20 skills - so I have created a game there that I hope we can use occasionally for my practice.

Link here:

https://app.roll20.net/join/2037830/aE2KpQ

Game on, this Sunday evening!

See y'all then.

8-)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Rhu's Sunday ~ Scandia, The Last Druid

Post by Tadhg »

Scene I: Fountains Abbey – Library/sitting room

The high druid, Eusebius is received by Sir Regis in the sitting room after the journey northwest from the Sylvan Woods. A raging fire is ablaze in the main fireplace.

Along with Galathil, Artemis and Wynifryde – the following guests are in attendance:

Laroo, secretary and treasurer to King Argenteus
Hrothgar, dwarf captain of the guard
Gaston the Bard
Prospero the Mage
Other guests (from prior adventures)

While Eusebius explains his mission and dilemma, the guests are provided with sandwiches and wine by the acolytes of the abbey.

Sir Regis takes the lead in presenting and serving them all. This is duly noted and appreciated by all.

Suddenly, a loud crashing and breaking of glass in heard across the room at the other end of the library. A half-orc servant stands stiff and embarrassed as she has dropped the beautiful glass vase that she was cleaning.

“Can you assist Esmina?” says Sir Regis to his acolyte. “Tell her, it’s OK. And that we all have accidents. Thank you, Simon!”

And the luncheon continues, Sir Regis says to the high druid, “we’ve had some visitors recently who may be of assistance to you and your cause”

He nods to his other acolyte, Micah . . who then opens the south door and announces:

“Thimbleberry of Mink Hollow!”

All the group turn and look as a beautiful, but fierce looking gnome woodswoman enters the room. She looks to Sir Regis and bows slightly as she scans the others in the room.

But it’s Eusebius who looks intently and seems oh so slightly un-nerved at first and then takes a deep breath, “a gnome druid! – fantastic. Hail and well met Thimbleberry!”

The high druid quickly turns to look at Laroo and Gaston, who are sitting statue like, not looking at him – but seem to have huge smiles on their sideways faces.

“A cousin perhaps, my dear gnomes?”

“I should be so young, Eusebius. Thinbleberry is a GGGGGGrandaughter!”, exclaims Gaston.

“She doesn’t know us, but we know her.”

“And of course, I know that you realize the unusual power that sometimes occurs in a gnome druid. Exceedly rare” speaks Laroo as Gaston laughs while recording everything that is happening during this meeting.

“She may be the key to your success against the strange evil in the Sylvan Woods.”

Thimbleberry realizing who these ancient, and magical gnomes are – moves over towards them and pays her respect while bending a knee.

Gaston puts down his pen and comes down from behind his desk to greet Thimbleberry.

“My dear, it’s so good to meet you. Your GGGGGGrandmother – hehe, my dear wife will be thrilled if you would dine with us this evening. But be prepared, she will be shocked at your appearance! Yes, you are the splitting image of her as a young gnomish women.! Oh, and I hope you won’t terribly mind if the half-orc servant, Esmina is present for diner as well?”

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Great work and excellent backstory as usual. Can't wait!
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Thanks. I hope you guys will like it.

Thurgood and Saxbert will be tested heavily as it were.

;)

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Wow! Thimbleberry is famous!

Looking forward to this. Thx, Rhuvein.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Penny-Whistle wrote:Wow! Thimbleberry is famous!

Looking forward to this. Thx, Rhuvein.
You're welcome.

Gnome spellcasters are the most powerful creatures in Scandia . . but they like to keep it to themselves! ;)

Edit:

[And most of them don't realize it ~ until the time comes or Gaston and/or Laroo school the SOB's regarding their power. :P

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

haha Did you see in the Book of Familiars thread that a person can have a walrus familiar?

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Penny-Whistle wrote:haha Did you see in the Book of Familiars thread that a person can have a walrus familiar?
I did . . and still have that book of my list to buy.

Aside:

Having a walrus as your transport is C&C PH canon and I've always allowed players to procure one, if they could afford it. And they certainly have to feed the creature and have tack to utilize the riding of same.

I've only had one player (nephew Chris) purchase one and use it occasionally in water based adventures.

Love to read how the BoF handles the walrus as a familiar.

Aside 2:

In that thread, Aergraith mentions that there is no mention of owl in the BoF.

On the TLG store, the blurb for the book says owl is in there. So, I wonder if that is a mistake in the blurb or is the owl mentioned in the book.

8-)

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Rhuvein wrote: Aside 2:

In that thread, Aergraith mentions that there is no mention of owl in the BoF.

On the TLG store, the blurb for the book says owl is in there. So, I wonder if that is a mistake in the blurb or is the owl mentioned in the book.

8-)
They mention owls and they are on the familiar lists. But they aren't statted. Frustratingly, under Snow Owl it says "Use the stats for an owl."

But my PDF says March 2014. Maybe it's changed since.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

"Ah told 'im to use ze stats for an owl!"

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Monty Python?

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Game on ~ see y'all in half an hour!

8-)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Maptools server is up . .

voice = Discord.

:P

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Be there in a minute...

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

OH EM GEE!

Deck of Many Things . . and you guys decide to pick some cards!!!

:shock:

Well done!!

:lol:

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Rhuvein wrote:OH EM GEE!

Well done!!

https://youtu.be/pWB5JZRGl0U

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

That was so much fun. Best session we've ever had! thx =D

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Penny-Whistle wrote:That was so much fun. Best session we've ever had! thx =D
You're welcome and thank you guys!

8-)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Session I ~ Journey to the Sylvan Woods and The Deck of Many Things!

The adventurers:

Gringnr as:

Thurgood, brave human wizard

Penny as:

Thimbleberry, discerning gnome druid

Aergraith as:

Saxbert, mighty human fighter

NPCs:

Lavinia, halfling cleric
Eusebius, high druid of Ash Grove
Galathil, elf archer
Arlyss, elf captain
Wynifryde, druid acolyte

The action:

And so, after a wonderful day and night at Fountains Abbey - the adventurers take their leave and head south. It seems the northern pass is snowed over, due to heavy accumulations and avalanches.

The group arrives at the Dancing Goats Inn to take their mid-day refreshment. Heading now due east, they follow the trail just south of the Silver Lake. It's easy going and well protected by the local residents and various elf tribes along the way, and those patrols offered by the Valley Gnomes of Queen Kristina.

As they leave her protection and ride north-east, the party notices the changing environment. Less birds, dark forest areas, lack of the usual local animals and wild life. Eusebius cautions everyone to be on their guard as he senses changes in the woodlands that used to be safe and welcoming.

And then as the heroes, round a bend - they are accosted by 2 horrific looking scarecrows that block their way. Saxbert steps forward and orders them out of the way. They do not yield and move forward. He, along with the others quickly dispatch the hideous creatures.

Continuing to be cautious, the party moves along the trail being a quiet as they can while listening to the forest around them. They suspect more evil monsters nearby and sure enough, an ogre with two ogrerats are waiting behind some trees. The group was ready for them and don't hesitate to jump into battle.

The heroes fight courageously, Thimbleberry firing her long bow, Saxbert using his crossbow and Thurgood shooting magic missiles ~ and eliminate the ogre creatures. They search and find a few items of value. Taking a brief rest and then moving on, they hear what sounds like a young girl calling out in distress from the thicket ahead of them.

"Help me, helpppp!" calls a voice. The party is suspicious but carefully enter the bushes weapons at the ready. They immediately smell something like rotten fruit. And then they see ugly evil faeries. The battle commences and the heroes are able to defeat the monsters. A search is made and they find a magical deck inside a leather pouch.

Each member of the group looks at the other and they all seem to nod in agreement . . they want to choose cards from the deck.

The Deck of Many Things:

The mighty Saxbert steps forward and picks up the deck to draw a card ~

The Jester. He immediately feels like a more experienced and qualified adventuring fighter.
The Key. A long flaming sword suddenly appears in his hand.
The Moon. In his mind, he realizes that he has been granted one magical wish.

Thurgood takes his turn to choose a card from the deck ~

He picks a card . . . and slumps to the ground, unconscious.

Thimbleberry steps up and takes a card from the deck ~ Talons. The deck of many things along with her amulet of protection disappear.

Eusebius, who was in deep thought says, "Thurgood . . I saw the card. It was The Void. His soul is trapped in a prison somewhere!"

Galathil and Winifryde gather up the fallen wizard and carry him to the Grand Lodge as Thimbleberry, Saxbert and Lavinia flank the others watching for any creatures.

All arrive safety.

End session.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:OH EM GEE!

Well done!!

https://youtu.be/pWB5JZRGl0U
I never was into metal that much (except some Def Leopard stuff), but that was pretty good.

Ace of Spades = donjon! ;)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

When Saxbert draws the Key card from the Deck of Many Things ~ a blue gem on a silver chain appears in his hand.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Rhuvein wrote:When Saxbert draws the Key card from the Deck of Many Things ~ a blue gem on a silver chain appears in his hand.
My major magic weapon is a necklace? I guess I can choke werewolves with it.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Aergraith wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:When Saxbert draws the Key card from the Deck of Many Things ~ a blue gem on a silver chain appears in his hand.
My major magic weapon is a necklace? I guess I can choke werewolves with it.

Yes, you can try! :P

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Periapt of health . .

immune to disease (including supernatural disease).

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Rhuvein wrote:Periapt of health . .

but... but... it's not a WEAPON!

(Saxbert was looking forward to his +5 everythingbane bearded axe Axebert)

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

We shall call it werewolf bane.

"Is asphyxiation silver?"
Attachments
screenshot 1.png
screenshot 1.png (243.32 KiB) Viewed 20585 times

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Aergraith wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:Periapt of health . .

but... but... it's not a WEAPON!

(Saxbert was looking forward to his +5 everythingbane bearded axe Axebert)
You're right!!

Sorry. My bad.

Leme roll on the correct table (of my mind) . .

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Penny-Whistle wrote:We shall call it werewolf bane.

"Is asphyxiation silver?"
Hmm . .

ya know what?

That magic item will drap itself around Saxbert's neck in addition to the new shiny magic weapon that will appear in his hand!!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

"Alakazam, Presto and abracadabra!"

When Saxbert takes the Key card from the deck, a sword appears in his other hand that is wreathed in a blaze of fire!

+2 to hit ~ and an additional 1d6 fire damage. 2d6 against cold-based creatures!

Flaming sword.