Rhu's Sunday night Underworld playtest game

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Rhu's Sunday night Underworld playtest game

Post by Rhuvein »

Interesting . . . I see that Ilmater is an ally of Lathander.
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Session VIII - Exit the fortress and . . meet the Manticore!

Dramatis Personae:

Penny as:

Penny-Whistle Scrubroot, the practical and wise gnome cleric who now has the bloodlust up for evil monsters threatening her beautiful planet Jorde!

Gringnr as

Gringnr, the mighty dwarf cleric

Aergraith as

Elderberry Scrubroot, the wildly bold and audacious gnome rogue

ssfsx17 as:

Norik, the faithful dwarf cleric
and
Barduris, the enigmatic but absolutely fearless half-orc fighter

and the NPC . . .

Aristobulus, elf wizard

The action:

After the batlle with the warrior skeletons and the finding of the shield, the adventurers decide to rest and spend the night healing and then praying.

They cautiously make their way out of the snow goblin fortress. Instead of exploring the rest of the complex, the party moves to the west and towards the stairs leading up.

Suddenly, from around the corner appears an apparition! Even though several of the adventurers can see in the dark, they question what they are looking at. It appears to be Aristobulus . . . or his ghost.

The party calls out and Aristobulus answers in older sounding and weaker voice, "It is I, Aristobulus wholly formed and living and healing. I was rescued by snow elves. They tricked and trapped the Elf Bane to fall into a large spiked pit. They then doused it with fire and burnt it up. The elves healed me the best they could and I'm here to tell you this!"

As the group moves forward to gaze upon the elf wizard, they can see he has aged somewhat and his hair is whiter. The notice the scars on his face and they see that he is missing an arm and has a peg leg.

He tells you that he has chosen to retire from adventuring and return to his homeland. The wizard gives the party his amulet of natural armor and his ring of protection and bids you farewell.

The adventurers return the farewells and wish him all the best. Aristobulus moves to the west/north corridor which leads to a mountain trail, where the snows elves wait to accompany him back to a safe travelling area.

Everyone else moves up the stairs to the top level of the fortress and continue to the entrance to leave the complex. As they approach and look outside, it appears dark as though evening has come.

And then one of the party members falls down into a sleep and the group realizes a wizard must be out there. Arrows fly, spells are cast and a battle begins. The group wakes up the sleeping adventurer, but another falls asleep. Eventually, the evil spell caster is killed and the heroes see more snow goblins. They are quickly killed and the group leaves back down the trail.

They spend the night at the boulder pass with the gravellors after giving fruit snacks all around. It snows overnight, but in the morning clear skies abound.

The adventurers move out and pass the caverns of the frost men who watch them, but don't make any aggressive moves. Going south and then back east along the trail, they pass Lac de Ice and then approach the yeti caves. Staying to the center of the trail, they don't encounter any wyrms or yetis. The party does spot eagles high up and reindeer in some of the lower hills.

All is quiet as they continue down the mountain trail to the bottom where the snow has already melted and the temperatures are cool, not freezing. The adventurers take a short break to refresh themselves with fresh water from a nearby stream as they nibble on hardtack, jerky and cheese.

Satisfied, they continue along the trail, when out of the sky flies a gruesome creature straight at them. They realize it's a manticore and it's hungry. The party gets ready for battle as the hideous creature shoots some tail spikes at the group. A ferocious battle ensues, but the combat expertise of the adventurers with their powerful weapons kills the beast in the end.

The group sits down to catch their breath and refresh themselves, but this time it's fire amber down the gullet for some of them!

The party continues along the trail which leaves the hills and the surrounding land is heavily wooded. At this point, some odd things begin to happen. Some adventurers get hit with acorns, others get their ears twisted or foot stomped on - but nothing can be seen. They hear laughter coming from different directions.

Then suddenly a leprechaun appears sitting on a log nearby. "Top of the morning lads and lass! Ferghus McGillicuddy, at your service along with some of my friends." He turns and whistles and says, "Out with you boys!" And then other leprechauns appear ~ some standing, some flying and others walk out from behind bushes.

Ferghus continues, "Hope you didn't mind the boys havin' some fun with ye. Matter of fact, Seamus here has some information that you'll likely be interested in knowin'. But he and the boys wanted to see what you were made of!"

Seamus grins and remarks, "Ferghus, I think that big fellow over there is scowlin' at ye!"

"One of you twisted his ear too roughly, methinks!" replies Ferghus.

A younger leprechaun pipes up and says, "Sorry Sir Warrior, I was just being playful. Your ears are the largest I've ever seen! Well, after an elephant anyway."

At this point all the leprechauns break out in laughter except the young one who wasn't trying to be funny.

"Clancy O'toole, at yer service!" and the young fellow bows.

At this point, Seamus tells the adventurers that a kobold scouting party is heading this way. They are armed with crossbows and swords.

The adventurers along with the leprechauns make it quick work to defeat the kobolds. They are looted and dragged into the forest for scavengers to feast on.

The group then continues on to Knobhill for lunch and then to the Inn of the Dancing Goat to spend the night.

They finally reach Fountains Abbey safely.

End session.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Descent into the Underworld

Chronicles of Scandia ~ Book 2.

Fountains Abbey

Scene I:

At the Atheneum in the scholar’s library on the 2nd floor, Gaston the Bard is reading from a treatise he wrote on the subject of The Underworld. This room is circular with many windows and a ceiling made of glass. There is a large walk out balcony with study tables, chair and telescopes.

The following guests are in attendance:

Lord Argenteus as Nils
Barduris, half-orc warrior
Elderberry Scrubroot, gnome adventurer
Norik, dwarf cleric
Laroo Spugnar
Penny-Whistle Scrubroot, gnome cleric
The Empress Brigitte
Hylde, the good witch of Jorde
Gringnr the cleric
Friar Tuck, warrior priest
Princess Olivija of Dania
Eric the Red, Jarl of the Norsemen
Freylin, Queen of the Snow Elves
Sir Regis, abbot
Count Rhuveinus
Amleth, acolyte of Fountains Abbey
Arlyss, elven forest princess
Hrothgar, captain of the dwarf guards
Maurice, acolyte of the abbey
Marian the librarian
Lucius T. Carbuncle, hobbit brewmaster of Knobhill
Argentim, half-elf bard
Prospero, archmage
Iko Treeblight, gnome wizard

“The Underworld is a large place with many regions held by various deities of Jorde. Other areas are un-explored, unknown or just considered myths. But mostly it’s a place where the living, do not wish to go.

Some of the underworld realms are connected or can be entered by various roads or rivers. In and around these regions are natural and magical caverns, lakes, rivers, mountains and chasms.

You may see some areas with twilight, moonlight, lightening, thunder, smoke, fires, lava pits and tremors and rumbles.”

At this point, Gaston turns and nods to a beautiful female gnome wearing spectacles and wearing the robes of a wizard. While she rolls a large wheeled rack holding a large map of the underworld up to where he is standing, all notice she has a scabbard on her belt holding a sword.

She then hands a pointer to Gaston, who says, “Thank you my dear!” The girl spins and moves with a catlike tread, but one with perfect poise and grace ~ to return to her post at the back.

Gaston smiles and says, “Yes, the scamp is my great-great-great grandottir and smart as a whip. And she wields that sword like a demon from Hel!” He chuckles, “Get it??” Gaston pauses and Laroo and Nils begin laughing.

Smirking, Gaston exclaims, “sorry, let us begin” and points to the map.

“Among the major known regions are:

The Duat – is the realm of the dead ancient pyramid people. It is said that their gods dwell there as well. This world is ruled by Osiris, god of afterlife, death, life and resurrection.

The Netherworld – unknown to us.

Wallyworld – run by evil humans who are consumed by the lust for gold. The rulers have legions of slaves who work for low wages that sustain their poverty level throughout their lives. Their swords and shields are cheaper than those created by dwarven blacksmiths, but they are tainted by evil and may fail a good aligned warrior.

Hades is the misty and gloomy abode of the dead, ruled by a deity of the same name. The river Styx is thought to allow entrance to this region.

The Underdark, is a vast subterranean realm inhabited by drow, mindflayers, aboleth and other strange, sinister creatures. It is a place where few humans go and from where even fewer return. It extends well past the dungeons made by surface dwellers, encompassing myriad caverns, tunnels and complexes. [From wikipedia]

Helheimr

The Abyss

Gehenna

Atlantis

Hell

Arnnwn

Arlyss catches Gaston's gaze and says, "Dear Gaston, you mention the abyss! Does this mean that the adventurers may face a balrog??"

Gaston draws a breath and replies, "Most certainly, that is a possibility. But I think they are equal to the task of defeating this type of monster. Remember . . they will have the shield of Odin!"

The group retreats to the main dining room for supper. Appetizers are brought to the tables along with a vintage Dom Perignon, courtesy of the Empress Brigitte.

For supper, pheasant under glass and roast boar are served with an excellent Chateau Lafite-Rothchild by Count Rhuveinus.

Later, everyone moves to the abbey parlour to enjoy fire amber and longbottom leaf sitting around the large fireplace. Beautiful works of art adorn the room which has comfortable couches, divans and chairs.

The Jarl, Eric explains the power of the runes on Odin’s shield.

Porr
Ice
Elk
Sun

[In progress]

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Um. This will probably sound weird but I may have to leave the game early tonight ... say ... 9:15 central time to get my camera ready for the lunar eclipse. If the sky is going to be as cloudy as predicted though I will be able to play through.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

No problemo, Penny.

I should get out my telescope.

Hmm, blood moon ~ perfect time to enter the underworld. :twisted:

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Cloudy here, no red moon for us.

Game start in 20 minutes, see y'all then!

:)

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Session IX - Into the Underworld and gone to HEL!

The gang:

ssfsx17 as:

and

Penny as:

Penny-Whistle Scrubroot, the practical and wise gnome cleric who now has the bloodlust up for evil monsters threatening her beautiful planet Jorde!

Gringnr as

Aergraith as

The action:

After spending a night and a day at the Abbey, learning about Odin's Shield and The Underworld the adventurers prepare for departure. Last evening the archmage, Prospero introduced the party to Iko Treeblight, a young gnome wizard who asks if they would accept him into their group. All are happy to have Iko.

As they pack, Sir Regis gives them several potions that may help them in their quest along with a special bag of holding which will protect the dragon egg, once it is recovered. He also gives magic sling bullets to those in the group who use the sling as a ranged weapon.

They ride their horses south and then west past the Shire of Knobhill, onward to the port city of Trollhattan where they spend the night. In the morning, it is Odinsday when they are greeted by the Jarl, Eric the Red who leads them to his longboat and they set off.

The half-day journey to Icelandia is uneventful and a good day for sailing has everyone in good spirits. Eric takes the party around the island to the north and Hunafloi sund (sound) and into the fjord and finally into a misty cave. He docks the boat and all depart except the vikings.

From the cave a trail leads downward into a large cavern which in turn leads to other even larger caverns. The party follows the main trail north and sees and hears the thunderously loud Gjoll river. They cross the bridge and reach the dreadful gates to Helheimr.

The main gate, Helgrind is guarded by tow giantesses Listvoer and Bigvoer. The see the Shield of Odin held by Barduris and they open the door. They do not speak to you, only watch as you pass. The gates then shut.

The adventurers follow a stone road to the tower of Mordguor, a fierce giantess who questions every traveler whether alive or dead and will not let any pass who do not answer her questions.

She asks, "Who are you?" and "What did you or do you do in life that led you here to Helheimr?" If she doesn't like your answer, she will turn you away or destroy you.

Mordguor questions each party member and is satisfied with the answers. She point to the road to leading to what looks like a throne structure beyond and says, "Queen Hel awaits!"

The heroes walk along towards the throne and greet the Queen respectfully and introduce themselves and speak of their mission.

"Many of the gods were shocked at the theft of the silver dragon egg. It is in the Crypt of Souls at the north end of Helheimr. It is used by Loki, my father ~ but neither I nor my minions go there. Your safety through this underworld is guaranteed by me. All the undead will stay away from you.

However, I have no power inside the Crypt of Souls. There you must fend for yourselves. If you recover the egg, I ask that you leave immediately. The exit nearby the Crypt will lead to an underworld trail that will take you to The Duat!

Beware . . . Loki may be about."

With that, the Queen waves them off and the party continues around the throne structure where the trail goes north.

They cautiously move forward taking note of all around them. Smoke and fire to the west and misty spirits and moaning sounds from the east. They experience some tremors coming from below. Many groups of undead are seen who just watch them and hold their arms up, as though they are beckoning the group to come to them.

Several members of the party see Ari, the large black eagle watching them from high above, but they knew he would be there and so they continue on.

The adventurers see the entrance to the Crypt and approach. Just then, a huge fire breathing serpent comes from around the side of the entrance and advances. The monster is menacing with its large jaw and sharp teeth along with the flaming breath.

From around the other side, a giant cave bear quickly runs down the snake and grabs it into a headlock. The bear pummels the snake who tries to constrict the bear. But the bear has a tight grip and the snake relaxes.

At this point, both creatures change shape. The bear into Thor and the serpent into Loki. Thor raises his hammer to the "sky" while the other holds onto Loki and he flies away.

The party moves into the crypt where they find a large chamber. There are four floor to ceiling columns in the room. Floor, ceiling and walls are made of black polished granite. On the east wall and west wall are demon heads carves from a reddish stone that breath fire at 2-3 second intervals. The fire shoots out only about a foot or so.

To the north are two exit halls opening into another chamber. This room, not as large as the first has exits north, east and west. In the center of the room is a floor to ceiling column.

As the group enters the room, they are challenged by four ghouls who approach from the east. The clerics are able to turn the foul creatures who begin to run away and quickly kill three of them, while the last one is able to get away. The group decides not to chase the ghoul down and instead continue north.

They enter a large cavernous room that is glowing from lava pits. There is a bridge crossing to the far side which leads to split corridors. One goes northwest, the other northeast. The party goes northwest.

They find a long east/west hallway. They see an entrance hall slightly to the east, but decide to go west. They cautiously move in that direction and see a set of stair that goes down about one half a level. There is a landing and then stairs further that go up and continue to the west. They follow the stairs down and find a large mirror on the north wall.

The see themselves in the mirror and then it swirls in mist and begins to show some images. The first one is of a large circular chamber with a center column. Another image shows some corridors of the crypt. Another image shows a room with three sarcophagi and finally the last image shows a five foot column with a silver dragon egg sitting atop in a large cup. The egg is partially covered and the room steams with heat.

The images fade and the party discuss what they have seen and how should they proceed.

End session.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Session VIII XP = 259 per PC!

8-)

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Session IX XP = 136 per PC!

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Game in 20 minutes or so.

Should have the server up shortly.

See ya then!

:geek:

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Good game, last night.

A new monster and a couple of known but deadly ones as well.

Should be some good XP forthcoming.

[Was thinking today that the slingers should have received +1 magic bullets from the Abbot - so now you have them. 10 I should think]

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Session X - Helheimr and the Crypt of Souls

The adventurers:

Aergraith as

and

ssfsx17 as:

and

Penny as:

Gringnr as

The action:

The adventurers decide to continue west and then take the south corridor. It's quite long, but there is a hallway about twenty feet south that goes east. They cautiously move down to that hallway watching the granite floors and walls for traps, and peak around the corner. Nothing is seen, smelled or heard.

Continuing east about thirty feet, the hall goes south. Again they peak around the corner and see a roundish room with a large column in the center. On each of the east and west walls, they see demon heads spitting fire at intervals exactly like that of the first chamber of the crpyt.

As several party members watch between fire breaths, they notice some creatures in the room. They appear as small red leathery balls with two clawed feet. A large mouth with sharp teeth along with six eyestalks on their heads. The adventurers have never seen these type of creatures and hesitate to talk briefly amongst themselves.

The red leathery beings seem to just watch the party and don't move. The group decides not to enter this room, but back out to the main north/south corridor. As they get into that hall, they see some of the creatures follow them at a distance and then stop and watch them.

The group goes back north and then east past the stairs and mirror and stop after ascending the up stairs. They notice that the red ball creatures have followed them and continue to watch but then stop. Gringnr the dwarf cleric does not like that they are following and decides to attack.

The monsters respond and begin to defend themselves, but also viciously attack. The first one jumps on to the dwarf and sinks its claws into his shoulder. Other party members begin their attacks and the battle commences. Gringnr takes bite damage and then another critter jumps upon him.

Then a ghast comes shambling around the corner from the south and moves to attack the party. Several members confront the ghast while others continue fighting the small red monsters.

Ultimately, the heroes batter and kill the red monsters and the ghast but then another ghast appears and the clerics go to work. The monstrous undead being is killed and the party rests and heals a bit, but realize they must spend the night healing and praying.

So, the heroes work their way south down the long wide west corridor and find a large room that is empty and defensible. They set a watch rotation and lay down to sleep. In the first hour, they are attacked by wights.

The watch guard wakes up everyone in the group and they immediately grab their weapons and move into position to defend themselves.
The group uses good battle tactics and the clerics utilize their divine powers to defeat the wights.

They then settle down again to a peaceful slumber and the night passes without further ado.

End session.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

XP for session X = 379 per PC!

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Updating SKYPE and getting prepared for tonight's game!

See ya in 20 minutes!

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

MT server is up!

8-)

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

Norik's Journal

Barduris keeps pulling out bloody good shows out of his arse. Seems like scarcely a day goes by when he ain't slaying baddies in one hit, or getting good use out of artifacts meant for someone else. Today he gave a good whalloping to a whole Baby Balrog! We woulda been goners for sure if he hadn't gotten all heroic-like and put up a Wall of Ice.

That sodding bastard Gringnr is too damned unlucky for his own good. Got tangled up by a Baby Balrog and sent to the depths of the Underworld! But he's also flipping lucky as baby's cheeks. His god Mithril brought him back from certain death, when I was ready to hold him a memorial service in absentia. Maybe there's something to his greed after all.

Verthak is back somehow, bless his heart, but he's not himself. I asked him if he was any good with a sling, and he had to try to shoot something. The Verthak I knew woulda said he couldn't hit naught but the wind, and that he specialized in doing massive damage to air particles. Seems like being only half-human - just like Barduris - meant he only got half his mind back when his gods raised him.

I prayed to Ilmater for advice, and he told me to just be glad that he was saved from the Wall of the Faithless this day. Then Ilmater said to help ease his suffering and get him out of the Underworld. He may only have half his old self, but the least I can do is save him from dying another horrible death.

There's something to them gnomes, I don't know what. I've met dwarves who were a bit like them, except not so skinny and twiggy, and they didn't live so long acting the way these gnomes do. But I've seen Garl Glittergold up close, and these gnomes have always survived against all odds, so I guess they'd better keep doing their thing.
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

ssfsx17 wrote:Norik's Journal

Barduris keeps pulling out bloody good shows out of his arse. Seems like scarcely a day goes by when he ain't slaying baddies in one hit, or getting good use out of artifacts meant for someone else. Today he gave a good whalloping to a whole Baby Balrog! We woulda been goners for sure if he hadn't gotten all heroic-like and put up a Wall of Ice.

That sodding bastard Gringnr is too damned unlucky for his own good. Got tangled up by a Baby Balrog and sent to the depths of the Underworld! But he's also flipping lucky as baby's cheeks. His god Mithril brought him back from certain death, when I was ready to hold him a memorial service in absentia. Maybe there's something to his greed after all.

Verthak is back somehow, bless his heart, but he's not himself. I asked him if he was any good with a sling, and he had to try to shoot something. The Verthak I knew woulda said he couldn't hit naught but the wind, and that he specialized in doing massive damage to air particles. Seems like being only half-human - just like Barduris - meant he only got half his mind back when his gods raised him.

I prayed to Ilmater for advice, and he told me to just be glad that he was saved from the Wall of the Faithless this day. Then Ilmater said to help ease his suffering and get him out of the Underworld. He may only have half his old self, but the least I can do is save him from dying another horrible death.

There's something to them gnomes, I don't know what. I've met dwarves who were a bit like them, except not so skinny and twiggy, and they didn't live so long acting the way these gnomes do. But I've seen Garl Glittergold up close, and these gnomes have always survived against all odds, so I guess they'd better keep doing their thing.
Bravo. This made a great read.

Barduris really has been heroic. I love that character. With so much death and resurrection happening Penny is afraid. Very afraid. She thinks maybe the destruction of the gnome thrower was an omen that ought not be ignored. Being pinned to "The Wall of the Faithless" sounds like a horrible fate and one she would very much like to avoid.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Excellent, ssfsx17! :)

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Session XI - Meet the things in the Sage's sepulcher!

The adventurers:

Gringnr as

Aergraith as

and

ssfsx17 as:

and

NPC - Verthak, half-orc ranger

Penny as:

The action:

The adventurers arise to a new day and take their breakfast. It is decided that they will check out the Sepulcher of the Sages. They cautiously approach and wisely do not enter the room after seeing hooded creatures floating above the ground and next to each sarcophagus.

They speak to the crypt things, who tell them they wish to have a book from another room in the complex. The things will reveal the location of the dragon's egg, if the party will get the book.

The group makes their way to the east side of the crypt complex and encounter a random ghoul. They quickly kill the undead creature and find the room where the book is.

Unfortunately, the room is guarded by a necrophidius. The adventurers surround and attack the monster who attempts to keep them from getting to the book. The party kills the creature and they take the book, Tome of Black Magic.

To the north of the book room, they find a room of pools. One pool seems to hold a load of treasure under the water, but the image is gone when the liquid is disturbed. Another pool holds a greenish slime, so no one touches it.

The group decides to leave the rest of the pools for now and return to the sepulcher. The book is given and the crypt things reveal the location of the egg.

The adventurers make their way to the circular vault room and find the secret door and passage to the north long room. Inside there are three large floor to ceiling pillars and a one way door to the south. All the way to the east, a secret door is found and opened.

Another long chamber that contains a large cavern in the middle with a bridge that crosses it. On the other side is a five foot high column with a cup on top, holding the egg which is covered by a thick blanket. The room is quite warm.

As they approach the bridge a balrog flies out of the deep cavern on the north side. Barduris quickly uses the Shield of Odin to create an ice wall. This temporarily blocks the balrog, as he attacks it with his sword. A small opening presents itself, but it's not big enough for the monster to get through.

The party attacks the monster with all they've got. Barduris hits it with ice bolts from the shield. The ice wall continues to open/melt from the heat of the balrog. The heroes pound the beast with their weapons. The wounded creature cries out in pain and rage and leaps into the cavern hold and at the last second his whip tail grabs Gringnr and they plummet deep down into the abyss.

The party can hear more howling from the creature as Gringnr attacks it, even while the two combatants fall. A splash is heard and then silence for a few moments. Suddenly, Gringnr is hauled up and over the cavern hole onto solid ground by some unseen force. He tells you that his Gods are with him and brought him from below.

The group cross the bridge while occasionally looking down into the abyss, but see nothing stirring. As they get near the egg, it disappears! An illusion! So they continue to check the east wall and examine it. A secret door is found and opened and they enter a round cavern chamber that contains the real egg. The party carefully fetches the egg into the special bag of holding and move back through the various chambers and then south through the crypt.

They exit and move around to the side of the complex where they find the one way door in the wall that will lead them to an underworld trail which extends to The Duat. Upon the way, they encounter what appears to be a ghost of Verthak. He indeed looks pale, but he assures you he is alive and well. He tells you that he was resurrected by his deities, but was left on the trail to make his way out as a test of his faith.

The group continues along until they find the entrance to the ancient realm of Osiris.

End session.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Session XI experience points = 318 per PC.

:P

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Next playtest preview ~ Gnomeworld

Post by Rhuvein »

Gnomeworld (module title)

A preview:

Three mini adventures ~

1 Valley of the Gnome Queen or “Assault on the Grassy Knoll”

The gnome emerald* has been stolen from the tree gnome, clan scepter by gnole halberdiers and archers. Adventurers are sought in the local pubs to “enter the dungeon” and retrieve the sacred emerald. These peaceful tree gnomes are ruled by the Queen who resides in the royal tree house in the center of the valley.

* A perfect emerald that has an internal image of a female gnome ready with child.

2 The Sheriff of Gnometown

An evil lawgnome with a badge terrorizes a frontier town with magic and his deadly hogleg.
Citizens are bullied and beaten into giving up their prized gemstones by his deputies.
The mayor is in the gaol facing the gnoose.

In a nearby town, a poster hangs in the saloon and post office:

“Wanted ~ Dead or Alive
The Sheriff of Gnometown
Reward = 10,000 GPs”

3 The Island of Dr. Crayloon

A sickness is sweeping the tinker gnome clan. Lethargy, listlessness and reproductive failure have set in.
The healers and sages are at a loss to find a cure or treat the disease. A visit to the tinker, town hall tower reveals that a mysterious witch doctor on Isle of Gnome might have the remedy necessary to bring wellness to the tinkers.
Adventurers are needed to find the doctor and convince him to provide a cure.

The remedy is deadly nightshade but must be mixed with certain ingredients to perfect the healing elixir.

Rumors about the island:

Cannibals
Gnome eating plants
Huge apes
Goblin savages
Active volcanos
Giant lizards

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

My computer has completely and totally died. I have been messing with it for a couple of days. Between that and being really busy today at work, here is another last minute message saying that I cannot be with you all tonight. I sincerely apologize for my continued attendance problems. Infeel like a jerk, and I really wish I were gaming tonight.
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

Gringnr wrote:My computer has completely and totally died. I have been messing with it for a couple of days. Between that and being really busy today at work, here is another last minute message saying that I cannot be with you all tonight. I sincerely apologize for my continued attendance problems. Infeel like a jerk, and I really wish I were gaming tonight.
No worries man - let us know what your new computer budget is, and I might be able to plan a custom build for you.
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Gringnr wrote:My computer has completely and totally died. I have been messing with it for a couple of days. Between that and being really busy today at work, here is another last minute message saying that I cannot be with you all tonight. I sincerely apologize for my continued attendance problems. Infeel like a jerk, and I really wish I were gaming tonight.
No worries at all. Sorry about the compy, though. I have been working on my daughter's computer that recently died. Just need to try a swap the power supply. I hate it when they quit.

I call her compy (Compaq), the Carly Fiorina! :x

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Game in a few . . . :D

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

It was great gaming with you all! I love that you always try to put more flavor into things, and let flavor affect what happens in the game. And although I still have difficulty understanding gnomes, I am sure that your gnomish campaign will be full of fun and laughs.

Unfortunately I do need more time for myself on Sundays, especially as I expect to get more busy in the near future. I will be cooking solid food for myself more frequently, planning to move in the coming months because my landlord is getting married, dealing with work, getting some extra reading & writing time in, and other stuff.

I hope that one day, I will be able to game with you all again.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Well said, PW!

Glad to have you with us these past few months!!!

Enjoy,

Rhu. :)

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

I really enjoyed gaming with you, ssfsx17. It sounds like yyou've got a whole lot of big changes coming your way. Best of luck.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Session XII - Through the Underworld!

The adventurers:

Penny as:

Aergraith as

and

ssfsx17 as:

and

NPC - Verthak, half-orc ranger

Also, Gringnr, the mighty dwarf cleric

The action:

The heroes continue along the cavern path searching for the entrance to the Ancient Realm of the Pyramid Builders and Pharoahs.

Around a bend and they hear a loud frightening fear-inducing cackle that stops them in their tracks. Some of the party members are able to resist the fear, others succumb and begin to flee.

Then suddenly, the Blue Jester appears before them ~

a hideous and frightening humanoid arrayed in a lunatics vision of brightly colored clothes, floppy shoes, and a bright blue jester's cap complete with jingling bells. The monster has a never changing smirk or smile on its macabre visage.

He holds a mace in one hand and a deck of cards in the other. Still cackling he flicks a card at Iko and then Penny and the resulting magic seems to benefit them.

Iko gets hit with a The Star which improves his intelligence and Penny catches The Hierophant and gains a new gnomish thrower.

The Jester points at one of the adventurers and they collapse into gales of manic laughter falling prone.

The madman begins telling them riddles and using bad puns in perfect gnomish and then switching to an equally perfect dwarvish. The party answers the riddles and begin to challenge the Jester with their own riddles. He fails to answer correctly and applauds the heroes.

He then pulls a card from the deck for himself and looks at it. The seven of cups ~ gem. Suddenly 50 fist sized rubies appear at his feet. He laughs manically and says, "I think I'll pick again!" The Jester picks a card and reads it . . "oh no, I hate when I pick this one!" He choose poorly, The Four of Swords - Donjon.

You then see him imprisoned and he cries, "I'll see you again, it's been a pleasure!" He resumes his hideous laughter and then the prison disappears!

The adventurers gather themselves and the fleeing members return to the group. They collect the rubies and distribute them amongst themselves and continue on.

Finding the entrance to The Duat, the groups descends into this underworld. They see strange looking creatures, some that are deities and others that are some type of undead. Some have human bodies with the heads of animals.

They follow the stone trail further into this realm which leads to a corridor also made of stone. The walls contain hieroglyphics depicting all manor of events, creatures and objects.

They enter a larger room and encounter mummies. Barduris tries to use The Shield of Odin to blind the creatures with sunlight, but it fails in this realm.
The clerics attempt to turn the undead monsters with some failure, but finally they are able to do so. The party then kill the mummies and continue on, looking for Osiris.

The adventurers observe the sun god, Ra travelling from west to east during the night. They also see more deities, spirits and other supernatural beings. Along the way they find ~ lakes of fire, walls of iron and trees of turquoise.

Finally, they locate Osiris standing before them holding The Book of the Dead. He seems to be using the book to direct all the comings and goings of the beings and spirits that populate The Duat.

The heros can feel and see the incredible power and magic being wielded by Osiris and other deities moving in and out of their sight.

Osiris concludes his commands to the many servants surrounding him and looks upon the party.

"I have been expecting you. I trust your mission has been successful! You know who I am, would you please introduce yourselves?"

The adventurers present themselves one at a time and Osiris receives them with much warmth. He tells you that the Lord Argenteus is well known and revered in The Duat. Opening the Book of the Dead, he pages to chapter IVII and tells you that if one of the party would play and win The Senet Game ~ all will be able to take the shortest route to the exit.

Barduris is elected and plays the game perfectly which opens the exit door. The party leaves and enters the Underdark. They begin their journey to find the deep gnomes.

Not far into this underworld, they are again attacked by a balrog, Ragmoth who is a ferocious adversary. But, the heroes having faced a balrog before now have the upper hand. Using their skilled tactics, they are able to kill the monster and then continue on.

The Svirfneblin find and guide the party to the surface and bid them farewell. The adventurers take the egg back to Lord Argenteus and all is well in the world of Scandia!

End session.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Session XII:

XP = 595 per PC!!!

Kick ass.