Town of Kalas Suggestions

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
Tron
Ungern

Town of Kalas Suggestions

Post by Tron »

I really like the Town of Kalas supplement. However, I truly feel its a setting unto itself, rather than a town that can be dropped into any campaign (perhaps the Trolls will expand someday).

I'd like run a short campaign, using Kalas as the homebase. However, I'm not sure which adventure to marry to it? I'd prefer to use a module already produced by Troll Lord Games, but would be open to other suggestions. I'd also like it to be a dungeon crawl format. Any thoughts? What would work well with Egyptian gods, ebony dwarves and grass elves?

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Town of Kalas Suggestions

Post by Tadhg »

Not familiar with this module at all, but I am very interested in any info or reviews of it!

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

maasenstodt
Hlobane Orc

Post by maasenstodt »

I ran a pretty successful campaign based around Kalas. As long as a person is OK with high levels of magic, Kalas is a great setting for starting out a game.

I used Dark Journey for an initial adventure, placing it to the north of Kalas. While that module really needs wandering monsters, restocking, and a bit more unique magic items to shine, its got pretty decent bones for building upon.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I haven't used it with anything myself, as of yet, but I was thinking it would be pretty easy to connect it to the Haunted Highlands module series. You could also add it to the A series by just making it a location along the coast line. The series could use more support down by the capitol, since it concentrates so heavily along the river and further inland to Aufstrag.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Dark Journey was the first thing I thought of as well. I concur with Tree's suggestion of the Haunted Highlands. Hell, I'd use them both.

maasenstodt
Hlobane Orc

Post by maasenstodt »

Treebore wrote:I was thinking it would be pretty easy to connect it to the Haunted Highlands module series.
My take on the Haunted Highlands is that it is a somewhat darker setting than what Kalas presents. Having said that, and having used Kalas fairly extensively, I think a grim and grittier take on Kalas would certainly be interesting! Of course, if one is going in that direction, a Kalas in the Tainted Lands would be a real hoot! :twisted:

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

maasenstodt wrote:
Treebore wrote:I was thinking it would be pretty easy to connect it to the Haunted Highlands module series.
My take on the Haunted Highlands is that it is a somewhat darker setting than what Kalas presents. Having said that, and having used Kalas fairly extensively, I think a grim and grittier take on Kalas would certainly be interesting! Of course, if one is going in that direction, a Kalas in the Tainted Lands would be a real hoot! :twisted:
I didn't find the Haunted Highlands to be any darker or grittier than the rest of the setting I used, which was Aihrde. So I still think it would be easy to have Kalas fit. But I won't really know until I get a good feel for it by actually using it like you have. I've only ran the first few HH modules, but have yet to use Kalas in any capacity.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

maasenstodt
Hlobane Orc

Post by maasenstodt »

Treebore wrote:I didn't find the Haunted Highlands to be any darker or grittier than the rest of the setting I used, which was Aihrde.
I find your perspective interesting. I haven't used HH extensively, but the gods presented therein and things like sacrificial magic definitely gave me the impression of it as a darker setting. Not Midnight level dark, but perhaps in line with A Song of Fire & Ice.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

maasenstodt wrote:
Treebore wrote:I didn't find the Haunted Highlands to be any darker or grittier than the rest of the setting I used, which was Aihrde.
I find your perspective interesting. I haven't used HH extensively, but the gods presented therein and things like sacrificial magic definitely gave me the impression of it as a darker setting. Not Midnight level dark, but perhaps in line with A Song of Fire & Ice.
Well, Unklar, the Winterdark and the Goblyns make Airhde pretty dark.