The Crusader in Limbo?

The Journal of Intrepid Adventurers.
Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

The Crusader in Limbo?

Post by Sir Ironside »

I know that TLG is engrossed in multiple big projects right now, so has; The Crusader Magazine of the list or on the back-burner. If it has been decided to let the book(s) out to pasture, what happens to those that have fairly lengthy subscriptions.

If the Crusader is no more and be happy to receive a TLG coupon that covers the balance and buy other TLG material. (Like the, Classic Monsters book.)
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

trashheap
Ungern

Re: The Crusader in Limbo?

Post by trashheap »

I must confess I am a little curious about The Crusader's current status. If it is going to be returning to a normal schedule I would be tempted to pick up a subscription.

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

I have absolutely 0, that's zero, inside knowledge. But based on Steve's public statements, and what's in the pipeline, I believe the Crusader to be on indefinite hold. I don't think subscribing is a wise idea.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

I wonder what that means for those who have a two year subscription and haven't received enough of; The Crusader to fill out their subscription.

I gotta say one of the reasons I looked at C&C was because it had a real, hold-in-your-hands magazine. I know with pretty much everyone moving to pdf only (D&D, GURPS etc.) is the thing now, I still treasure the last bastion of a gaming magazine (Does Kenzer still put out a paper product?) that uses paper and you can hold it in your hands and not balance a laptop or sit in front of a computer to read. Plus seeing the magazines beside my books looks pretty darn good.

I'd even be happy with a quarterly schedule.

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

Steve talked about this a bit at TrollCon in 2010. Jim Ward had insisted on a monthly magazine, and the effort required to put out issues on that schedule all but completely sucked the air out of their other projects. This also came as they took the revenue hits from the Gygax license being pulled, and the WOTC move to D&D 4E.

So they decided to focus on the CKG for 2010, and while they put out a few other products, the CKG is where all the effort went. I think there were one or two issues of Crusader that year, but that was it.

Fast forward to May 2012, and the development effort of what really is a very small company is still focused on new products. This is probably the smart move from a business standpoint. Even if all or almost all the content was externally generated, the effort of editing and publishing even quarterly would probably take more time away from new product than is worthwhile. Just speculation on my part, though.

But yes, some gesture to those of us who bought subscriptions that have only partly been filled would be appreciated.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

For me, since the overall product the Trolls put out is one that I like, I'm more than willing to cut them some slack. I'm sure they'll either make good on the outstanding issues I've got coming, or refund my money at some point (or apply it to something else). On the bright side, given the pace of publication of late, I figure I should have issues coming in until I'm about 87. :D

trashheap
Ungern

Post by trashheap »

Its still listed prominantly on the product page. Its own main page advertises it as a wonderful sounding monthly subscription http://trolllord.com/crusader This last page might need to be pulled or edited if it is indeed on hiatus for the forseable future. I was fairly tempted to seek out a subscription, until I looked at when the last issue was released on drivethrurpg.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

One of the reasons I did not resubscribe was that the releases kept getting slower and slower ( The other was the content of the magazine had slipped badly). I hope they can get this back up and running soon. While I hate to make a plug here I will say that Domesday 5 is still being worked on and, as far as I know, work on Domesday 6 will begin after 5 is out. If it looks like The Crusader may not pick back up soon I will see what can be done about Domesday filling the gap.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

As much as I loved the Crusader and wish its return to health, I never could understand how any publisher other than a VERY successful one, could afford the time and staff to publish a periodical. It takes away resources in talent, time, and "stuff" that needs to go into profitable product.

But don't go by what I say. I'm still mourning the loss of Forrest Johnson's Space Gamer.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I'd like to see a quarterly magazine. I love the fact that I can get an actual print magazine delivered to my home, so I really hope that Crusader doesn't fade away.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

finarvyn wrote:I'd like to see a quarterly magazine. I love the fact that I can get an actual print magazine delivered to my home, so I really hope that Crusader doesn't fade away.
I agree with the sentiments though having been a subscriber and only receiving one issue in 2011 and maybe two issues the previous year, I think my subscription has got to be still good for a few years to come at this pace. ;)

I like the Crusader and appreciate finally receiving an issue (always a few weeks after everyone else gets it in the States). However, I think the format needs to be changed. Instead of trying to do a regular publication ... be it monthly or once every 4 months or just whenever they decide to do one, change it around.

Release just *one* journal per year. Beef up the page count a tad and put in some optional stuff people can use. Instead of releasing the 0.99 cent PDF adventure, put in the Crusader Journal. Continue to accept the submissions which will start flowing again if people start talking and getting excited about the journal. Charge a heftier price for the journal but cut down on some of the adverts (aside from TLG's core adverts) and focus on some interesting content that won't make into a regular product. For existing subscribers, consider what's left over in their subscription plan and take what's 'left' and enroll them into the new journal model (even it it means fewer journals than magazines since the journal will have more content anyway).

I don't typically keep the magazines, I hold on to them for a time and then part with them. I do keep all the PDF's though. However, I'd be happy to put these annuals on the shelf and I think it could work.

In the meantime, I'll echo what Josh had to say and just repeat -- Domesday.

The next one will be out before the end of this month so it's something. Hopefully the rest of the community will like it and we'll be able to grow some interest all around for both this and the Crusader once more.

M

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Sad to see that there haven't been any posts in this section of the boards for roughly 2 months now. I guess this answers the "in limbo" question, sort of... :-(

Unfortunate, because there aren't many other print magazines to compete and it's so wonderful to get something in the mail occasionally.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

finarvyn wrote:Unfortunate, because there aren't many other print magazines to compete and it's so wonderful to get something in the mail occasionally.
Yeah. I'm pretty sure that I've already mentioned that the reason I now have many TLG products was because I got turned on to:The Crusader which lead me checking this game out. I never had heard of C&C, before, in the rpg world. (Sorting through the glut of rpg's, especially fantasy rpg's that dominate the rpg market.) It got me excited because a real, hold-in-my-hands, magazine was out there, somewhat of a rarity these days. (It was also the reason I got turned onto GURPS, those many years ago, because I found; Pyramid magazine.) I think we are of an older generation, where the mag excites us, where the new generation are happy with digital offerings. Pyramid magazine, Dungeon magazine and Dragon magazine are three digital offerings, that I'm aware of, have gone this route and are successful. It is much cheaper to produce and sell mags via the internet than producing a dead-tree version. The only one I can think of that is kind of rpg related (Though I'm sure it is mostly mini's. I've never actually read it.) is White Dwarf.

I get why The Crusader is on the back-burner. The amount of effort that is put into; The Crusader is probably not worth it considering all the new books and modules that are slated to come out of TLG. Books that probably dwarf; The Crusader in sales. Add the fact that probably 1/2 of; The Crusader's content came from in-house doesn't help. Layout, design and editing takes resources away from other projects is also a problem. Maybe a call-out to writers to fill the contents could help. I'm sure there are capable people that could write articles, even from this forum (As there are already some who have contributed, even myself.) that could offer ongoing articles or even one-shots to fill the magazine. It still doesn't solve the problem of having to read each submission for suitability, and the editing, layout, production and distribution, but it would solve one of the bigger problems. To avoid a hodge-podge of articles that people "think" would go well for; The Crusader. TLG could post a list of articles that they are looking for. Then TLG could reduce or even eliminate articles written by TLG. It would be easier to write articles that some fans would like to have. Even special theme issues could devote an entire issues to projects that some people want. One instance is putting all the monsters (and treasure?) that are found in modules only, together in one book. (Conversely, an ongoing article could have fan created, monsters and treasure. One of my favourite articles, in the; Pyramid magazine was plot hooks. This was not a module, it was more of a spring board of ideas that got your creative juices flowing and sometimes helped you over-come a "blank page" and gave you some direction in creating an adventure.)

You could also expand; The Crusader beyond C&C and start adding articles from games that use the Siege Engine, such as; Starseige and Amazing Adventures. Giving a platform for those projects that the creators would like to see print, but are too small to devote a whole book to. Something that; The Dragon Magazine started to do after acquiring; Ares magazine in the early 1980's. (But, sadly eliminated after a few; Dragon magazine issues.)

That way any submissions could have the subject line, in the e-mails, for that category, making it easier to read the TLG's submission "wish-list". I know that this would kind of turn into a "fanzine" of sorts, but it would be a professional "fanzine".

It has been said that most people would be happy if; The Crusader came out as a bi-monthly or even a quarterly magazine.

Offering dead-tree and digital wouldn't be too hard.

If; The Crusader is truly dead or even might rear its head in 2013, what happens to the money that people have tied up in subscriptions? Are we doomed to never see our money back? I'd be just as happy if we could apply the balance into purchasing TLG products that we'd like to have.

Even if it is in-the-cards, we've waited long enough that, at this point, we should probably have the option to cancel or get to choose the option above. If, lets say, that it was announced that; The Crusader was going to come out, in January 2013, then I'd be inclined to keep my subscription. It is really the silence, that is kind of driving me crazy. I'd like to hear something, anything about its status.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Well, as a subscriber, I'm curious as well for obvious reasons but as a consumer of TLG products, this sort of loyalty only goes so far.

I have no idea who grabbed a copy of issue 5 of Domesday that came out this summer but right now, issue 6 is in layout and due to release in the next week or so (just in time for Halloween).

IF Crusader appears dead in the water, the I would love for prospective contributors to consider contributing to the Domesday. If we have more contributors and an increased interest in the Domesday, then maybe we can do bigger things with it. Who knows, if support and demand for it is there, it can also grow. At this stage, past issues of Domesday will be collected into a print version towards the end of next summer ... it will be a compilation of Vol.III which will include issues 5,6,7, and 8. At some point, I'll do something similar with the past four issues (issue 1 through 4).

At this stage, we are getting some material and I hope to see a bit of growth in the amounts being received. That's not to say that everything will make it in but if there is enough variety, maybe we can grow the Domesday. Who knows, this could cement itself as an actual regular periodical and, it could even see regular dead tree versions as far as a regular (though paid) subscription package.

Of course, this is only if the is interest and growth continues. We can only hope right?

M

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I have to echo what Pat said. Domesday's rebirth can fill the void left by the Crusader if we so desire it. We also have the freedom to do things for StarSIEGE, Harvesters and any other game TLG has to offer. The key factor is contributions from the readers. If we get the contributions and Domesday grows we can do some other things with it.

Ideas that have been discussed have been having issues available for at cost print on demand, a spin-off that deals with mini-adventures, and, as Pat mentioned, P.O.D. compilations of whole volumes. Of course this is all dependent on support from you guys. I wish all of us had the time to devote to making sure we have the articles and content we need to grow Domesday as we would like to. Unfortunately we don't so we have to make this a team effort. Until The Crusader comes back, if it comes back, Domesday is the only source we have for C&C content outside what gets published by TLG.

Like Pat also stated my loyalty goes only so far. The last couple issues of The Crusader I received before I let my subscription lapse were lackluster at best. They lacked the quality content that had been in previous issues (of course the magazine becoming more sanitized from issue 14 on and the narrowing of contributing guidelines helped the decline along).

In my humble opinion I would let the Trolls worry about the fate of the Crusader and let us focus on getting Domesday stronger.
Lord Skystorm

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

I've always kind of scanned posts here about Domesday and had always thought I was reading Doomsday. :lol:

They mean the same thing so that's all right. Teaches me to skim through posts. :D

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I can't say I have inside information, but I can say there'll be a #26. Steve has told me so. When that will be, however, is another story altogether. :P
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

They still owe me about 20 issues, so hopefully in a year or two or three we will see an issue 46.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

The Crusader needs to be like Dungeon used to be. 1-3 small adventures per issue. If that is not feasible on a monthly basis (and it is not), make it quarterly.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Our weekly game is tomorrow. I'll kick Steve in the jimmies and see what he says about this. I know for a fact that he is planning the next issue because one of your favorite writers has an adventure in it.

It's me BTW. :mrgreen:

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

AGNKim wrote:Our weekly game is tomorrow. I'll kick Steve in the jimmies and see what he says about this. I know for a fact that he is planning the next issue because one of your favorite writers has an adventure in it.

Well?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Treebore wrote:
AGNKim wrote:Our weekly game is tomorrow. I'll kick Steve in the jimmies and see what he says about this. I know for a fact that he is planning the next issue because one of your favorite writers has an adventure in it.

Well?
He is aware of this thread. In true Troll fashion, I suspect he'll address it within the next 3-4 months.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

AGNKim wrote:He is aware of this thread. In true Troll fashion, I suspect he'll address it within the next 3-4 months.
That would be awfully fast.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Troll time is equal to one day TT for every three years real time.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Aren't the Troll Lords immortal anyway? If that's the case isn't time meaningless?

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

In the mean time the Trolls could do a hardback reprint of past issues similar to what Fight On! has done in the past. It would more than likely be two or three books but I think more than one of us would jump on that. It could also help fund the magazine's restart.
Lord Skystorm

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Wait - the Crusader is NOT in Limbo. Limbo is NOT in Little Rock, Arkansas.

It's in Johnson, Arkansas.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

Nitehood
Skobbit

Post by Nitehood »

moriarty777 wrote: I agree with the sentiments though having been a subscriber and only receiving one issue in 2011 and maybe two issues the previous year, I think my subscription has got to be still good for a few years to come at this pace. ;)

I like the Crusader and appreciate finally receiving an issue (always a few weeks after everyone else gets it in the States). However, I think the format needs to be changed. Instead of trying to do a regular publication ... be it monthly or once every 4 months or just whenever they decide to do one, change it around.

Release just *one* journal per year. Beef up the page count a tad and put in some optional stuff people can use. Instead of releasing the 0.99 cent PDF adventure, put in the Crusader Journal. Continue to accept the submissions which will start flowing again if people start talking and getting excited about the journal. Charge a heftier price for the journal but cut down on some of the adverts (aside from TLG's core adverts) and focus on some interesting content that won't make into a regular product. For existing subscribers, consider what's left over in their subscription plan and take what's 'left' and enroll them into the new journal model (even it it means fewer journals than magazines since the journal will have more content anyway).

I don't typically keep the magazines, I hold on to them for a time and then part with them. I do keep all the PDF's though. However, I'd be happy to put these annuals on the shelf and I think it could work.

In the meantime, I'll echo what Josh had to say and just repeat -- Domesday.

The next one will be out before the end of this month so it's something. Hopefully the rest of the community will like it and we'll be able to grow some interest all around for both this and the Crusader once more.

M
I love this idea! Quarterly, Bi-yearly or yearly annual with all this good stuff would be great!

fifacoin19
Henchman

Post by fifacoin19 »

also within transpires on game where by commonly seeing steps.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Why don't all the "wanters" and "contributors" start a page and start making submission wants known to all then writers fill it, by the time the Trolls have free time to start pulling together the next issue, they will already have several submissions to choose from that may have already been fairly well edited?

Just a thought why wait, start doing it now.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.