Thoughts on StarSIEGE & Star Wars

Discuss the SIEGE engine, and SIEGE Engine games other than C&C, such as StarSIEGE, in this forum.
Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Thoughts on StarSIEGE & Star Wars

Post by Rigon »

So, I didn't realize Empathy was an Attribute in SS, so I think the Empathy (Sense) power would have to be renamed. Maybe Intuition?

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:So, I didn't realize Empathy was an Attribute in SS, so I think the Empathy (Sense) power would have to be renamed. Maybe Intuition?

R-
Why not just be blatant about it? Call it "Force Sense". Or if you want it a little more flowery, "Sense the Force".
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:So, I didn't realize Empathy was an Attribute in SS, so I think the Empathy (Sense) power would have to be renamed. Maybe Intuition?

R-
Why not just be blatant about it? Call it "Force Sense". Or if you want it a little more flowery, "Sense the Force".
I had thought of that, but with how I have other things named, I thought I'd use a more generic name than a specific name.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I’ll start by saying, I may be wrong on my ideas, … we’d have to play a few times to see what specifically needs to fine-tuned. However, I think we all agree that SS needs some tinkering to fit Star Wars. With that, consider my ideas as food for thought at best, spit ball of random thoughts at worst.

For number of uses and a limit before a jedi begins to face mental fatigue and over channeling. This is one area where I’d want to see it in play and see what feels right … is 7 uses a day a good limit, is 12, … who knows until dice roll a few times … However, as you have Light Saber as a force power, unless it only counts as one use for an entire battle, you’ll burn through the limit, or most of the limit, with just the light saber.

Oh I don’t want to take dark side out of the realm of roleplaying and strictly into mechanics. To me that is one huge issue I had with SW D6, how some of the dark side points were ruled – killing a bad guy with a light saber is fine, killing him by using the force to lift a rock and drop it on his head is bad … Then you have the rule lawers that try and skirt the issue and legalize their use of the force into not gaining a dark point when common sense justifies it as being worth of it. I do think that intent and emotion behind the act is a critical factor in dark side, and that goes beyond ay game rule / mechanism

For sith and over channeling, I’m looking at it like it is something they would be more willing to do and a natural result of their mind set, where it would be an emergency last resort to a Jedi. This would inherently be a role playing of the philosophy instead of a mechanical rule.

Rgr on d6 e1 with limited stated powers per school, but then there is the powers that use a mix of 2 or even all 3 schools. I did find a pdf of the e1 rules late last night and glanced through them … I still don’t think it is a perfect fix. So, I’ll happily default to your idea. Hmmm maybe we need a discussion on specific force effects and what force powers are used to make them – I wouldn’t want to clog up this thread with those specific ‘for instance’ debates. If we keep chasin rabbits here, I’ll start another thread to cover this specifically, if needed.

For the ‘why change a mechanic’ … because I’m a tinkerer … :lol:

and when I look at C&C and see the -4 to +4 (if there was a 20 on the C&C attribute spread) I automatically wonder why it isn’t the same here.

Similarly, when looking at the force vs SS psi, I see it as more important than a ss psi tacked on to the character, as such I’d argue it is its own attribute. However, again it is more of me just tinkering with the rules.

For the light saber, I’d argue a melee weapon is a melee weapon – as shown by Ren in the latest movie. The reason a Jedi (or dark user / Sith) is so good with them is that they have skill in the melee weapon and then enhance it with their force powers, not that it is a power unto itself. As such I would say Light saber falls under melee (or is a specialization of the melee) and a force user, after a bit of practice, gets to add his sense to attack rolls and control to damage – barrowing that from SW D6.

For Nova / Force points, I’d say a non force user gets to use them as written in the rules ( an auto success, a critical change of the story, etc) . The change I suggested has no effect on the non force user and their nova / light side points. A force user is just more in tune with the force so is more proficient with using their force points. That is my thought behind the proposal any way.

For taint, I may be way mixed up here, but aren’t the taint rules geared for mutations etc, and result with extra arms, animal horns etc etc etc. I would agree that use of dark side points (and to a lesser extent over channeling) should result in detrimental physical results. Like Palpitene being aged after over spending in hitting Mace with the dark side lightning attack. However, I don’t see it resulting in a dark user sprouting an extra arm … However, like I said, I may be looking at apples and oranges here …

I’ll look to see if I can find my light saber dueling idea. … Give me a day or 2 …

Again, like I said, look at these as food for thought or random ideas, not ‘this is how it has to be’
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:
3rd oh yeah, I worked up an idea for light saber duels a couple of years ago, to make it more cinematic instead of just tracking HP like a normal combat. I'll rework them once I see how combat goes a couple of time. I need to see what a realistic point spread in jedi light saber duels are . Mine being a d6 rule where people were tossing 6 - 10 (and more) dice has a point spread of 30+. That may be too big for SS, but until I see a couple of duels, I don't know what is realistic.
I'd be interested in see that.

R-

Found it, shot out, I pmed it to you
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well, my girls had dance practice this evening, and I didn’t have a mind numbing day at work, so I was able to use the peace of an empty house to waste time on Star Wars in SS. Here is what I’ve found out

I will start by saying that as I’ve never played in a game with an experienced DM I may have made some mistakes or mis-inferred some things so take this with a grain of salt.

You can easily finish 5 characters in less than 20 min – and run through 4 or 5 combats & other skill check scenarios in an hour - this has to be strength of the system.

The characters RAW are underpowered – if you use the base of 10 points to buy starting skills & base wound trackers. For pulpy/space opera Star Wars, those will need to be raised to the ‘pulpy’ to ‘four-color’ area – super heroic is too much for a starting character.

Every character needs to take combat as one of their skill bundles ! Just like the book says - operations manual page 10 ‘combat is a very good way to get oneself killed … defiantly think twice before starting a fight’

In my solo-play test, I had 2 base custom marines from the OM go up against 4 of the pcs I threw together – 1 rogue 1 pilot 1engineer, & 1 soldier … it was ugly … 1 customs troop and the soldier fighting each other was a draw (which is to be expected) but the other customs troop easily wiped the floor with the other 3 of the team. The non prime in the combat and the light to no armor of their concept/class was bad. They missed way to often and took brutal damage from the hits . Unless skills are bumped way up or something is modified, there will be no SW hero soldier or bounty hunter taking on 4 imperial storm troops.

It surprised me this is true too for ship to ship … it is the same skill that covers firing the ship’s gun as it is to fire a blaster. So, the soldier was the best gunner on the ship - not good if the ship get boarded and has a ship to fight off too.

From this, I’d argue there may need to be a skill or bundle to give the ship guys (pilot engineer etc) prime for using ship weapons. If not then the best x-wing pilot will be a great flyer, but miss most of his shots …

Nova points are good at the Pulpy level – they will soon enough build higher than that, unless one burns through them

Skills (outside of what I covered above) are good, simple straight forward ad fairly common sense.

Now Jedi … I didn’t get into deep water with drain and over channeling, so I can’t talk smartly about those. However, here is what I came up with making a base level Jedi …

If the other characters were weak out of the book, the Jedi is pathetic. The exp cost for any of the better powers are crippling. With that, for even one or 2 powers the Jedi will have no exp to spend for skills.

If you make a Jedi with RAW you might as well say he is an 8 to 10 year old youngling or at most a 11 – 12 year old padawon . That doesn’t fit SW, at least not how I’d want to play a Jedi. (I will admit this was a area I disagreed with SW D6 – hamstringing the Jedi for game balance – but where SW D6 hamstrings a Jedi, SS RAW neuters them).

If Jedi are used, then they will need more exp to buy skills. At the very least, 1 step up on the chart on page 8 compared to the non Jedi characters – balance it with restrictions associated with dark side, having an enemy hunting you at all times, etc etc etc

Also, the PSI skills bundles don’t fit a Jedi, yes I can see spiritual, awareness, maybe lore for some Jedi, but as a Jedi is a force warrior they need an option for combat, but then also as they are some that are ace pilots, they need that option too,

RAW, I tried a Jedi (with no combat skills) with a nova sword (the SS equivalent of the light saber) against the 2 marines …ugly … even with 1 on 1 … it wasn’t pretty . I’ll admit I made assumptions on enhance physical attributes Jedi power – and may have assumed low – and may have missed a + here or there (it was the 3rd fight that I realized the sword gives a +2 defense), but even then the odds were that Jedi would get shot down before closing the distance.

To make it a SW type fight, I had to rework the Jedi, give him an extra bundle for combat, give him Melee, defense, unarmed skills (this is just the combat skills he needed, I’d argue there are at least 3 others a Jedi would have plus the pilot or charm or knowledge or … skills ) and then bought the standard Jedi powers.

With this, I’d argue for more starting exp for a Jedi (there should be a great character concept with a good background to justify it, not “I want to play a Jedi, so that is my concept and I don’t have a good story for him”, &/or for that house rule I mentioned about a Jedi being able to use the number of nova points they have as a bonus to their rolls. That or no one starts with a Jedi, they have to spend the exp to become one through play (but even then the exp cost to buy a psi skill bundle so the rolls are not ‘non-prime’ , & the cost of the psi powers will be crushing, and …)

Now going on a hard left turn here, In addition to the above points, and barrowing from D3.5/Saga, I’d argue for making Jedi paths - counselor, sentinel, and guardian with specific skill bundles , specialties & reduction on exp for specific force powers (and associated restrictions). Maybe even some of the prestige classes (I never thought I’d ever argue for a prestige class) to expand the choices – or the prestige classes are just extensions of the paths so aren’t needed.

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

That looks like some very good thought out stuff there, Lurker. And to be honest, I've never played SS, so can't say how it plays. I would think though that it should play a little better than your solo. We may have to put together a little one off game or some such to give it a testing.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Here is a nice page of stuff for SS:EH.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

cheeplives
Red Cap

Post by cheeplives »

In the past I had lots of thoughts on this concept... I haven't thought about it a lot recently. Maybe I can find some time to ponder it more.

There were discussions in the past we've had that were pretty useful:

Psi Score and The Force
Lightsaber Stuff
discreteinfinity.com -- my respite from the bustle of the internet

Author of StarSIEGE: Event Horizon

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

cheeplives wrote:In the past I had lots of thoughts on this concept... I haven't thought about it a lot recently. Maybe I can find some time to ponder it more.

There were discussions in the past we've had that were pretty useful:

Psi Score and The Force
Lightsaber Stuff
Thanks mang, that's some very useful things and gets the mind going in different directions.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:That looks like some very good thought out stuff there, Lurker. And to be honest, I've never played SS, so can't say how it plays. I would think though that it should play a little better than your solo. We may have to put together a little one off game or some such to give it a testing.

R-
You weren't part of the play test group? I thought you were.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:That looks like some very good thought out stuff there, Lurker. And to be honest, I've never played SS, so can't say how it plays. I would think though that it should play a little better than your solo. We may have to put together a little one off game or some such to give it a testing.

R-
You weren't part of the play test group? I thought you were.
I'm pretty sure I wasn't. I think that was the Thursday group that I never gamed with.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

R-

Thanks, I try to please ... :lol:

As for 'play a little better than your solo'. I admit what I did was a little artificial, and what I highlighted was what I felt was the worse results of the worse case. Even then I wouldn't say it played poorly.

Heck, I'd say it is spot on, if I was aiming for a grim and gritty game.

However, as the stated goal is a Star Wars - therefore not grim and gritty, but pulp and space opera. Because of that, some of the assumptions of the rules need to be looked at.

Also, us (as players) may need to make sure we are talking the same language when we picture Star Wars. What is assumed by me as a starting base line may be too high for someone else's picture of it. This is doubly true with Jedi

However, as I mentioned above, the RAW don't just hinder a Jedi character starting out ... They make it below what I'd argue was playable for the concept of the character (as shown in the setting). But, I've already chased that rabbit back to its hole 3 or 4 times ...

Plus, we all have to remember a starting character is not Han etc etc etc. Luke's skill level (in the first half) in A New Hope, is closer to 1st level. - With that, I'd argue for a slightly mixed bag of character skill levels with some having a great background and character concept being more skilled than others (I know that is frowned on in gaming, but to me it is realistic, A military team has an old grumpy experienced SNCO to help keep everyone alive, some Jr NCOs that are skilled at their primary and secondary tasks, some newbes that learn from their NCOs, and a well educated but green lt (that does well to listen to the SNCO).

If we / you do that, I'd argue for the less experienced characters getting extra exp in the first few games to equalize out a bit - it doesn't take long for that green troop to learn and become a good Jr NCO & the LT learn to be a good leader (If they survive the learning curve) but it takes a while for that Jr NCO to learn it all and become a grumpy Sr NCO. :twisted:

Oh yeah, one thing I forgot, and is a broken element of the rules as written. The ranges. Close range out to 60 meters, and short out to 120 meters. But, a pistol is a 'short range' & some are 'mid range' weapon, so able to take shots out to 120 m or beyond with a +1 ... I've trained with guys that are scary good with a pistol, and they would never take a 120 m shot. Heck a 75 ft shot - took for tries to get it on target - earned a guy free beer all night. With that, I'd make all pistols and shot gun styled weapons close, and adjust up from there.

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I think a SS/SW game would be a good thing for you to run for us at some point in the future. ;)

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

:shock:

I'm too much of a novice with the rules and have toooooo little time to run a campaign. Heck, a one off would be pushing it for me ...

If it was SW D6, I at least know the rules good enough to run it on the fly.

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lurker wrote::shock:

I'm too much of a novice with the rules and have toooooo little time to run a campaign. Heck, a one off would be pushing it for me ...

If it was SW D6, I at least know the rules good enough to run it on the fly.
I've got a pretty solid idea of what I want it to do and am going to start working on a supplement soonish. I have some stuff to get get through for work next week and having a plan for the KoK game frees me up so I should have more time to flesh out what I want. A work in progress is about to begin.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

So, I had a huge fit of creativity tonight and pounded this little document out. If/when I run a SS/SW game, I will most likely use this as my house rules/campaign guide, along with setting info from WEG SW.

R-

StarSIEGE/Star Wars Campaign Rules

General Campaign Info
Step 1: Statistics
1.1 Attributes: Determine Attribute bonuses by the book.
1.2 Cyber Score Base: 10; Determine character Cyber score by the book.
1.3 Tech Galactic Standard: Tech level 9 (Galactic Age); Determine character Tech score by the book.
1.4 Force (Psi) Galactic Standard: 1; Starting Force score by the book, then add Confidence and Empathy bonuses. If the character selects the Channeling and/or Mental Endurance Specialties during Step 4 of character creation, they can add those bonuses to their Force score also. No additional bonuses are added if the character spends gained XPs to buy or increase Channeling or Mental Endurance later in their careers.
1.5 Darkside (Taint) Starting Score: 0; Intensity Rating: x3; Darkside points will be awarded when the character performs an “evil” act. XP generated from Darkside points can be stored up like regular XPs, but may only be spent to increase their Force score or to buy Force Powers. They can never be spent on anything else. If the character's total Darkside score (spent and unspent points) should ever become greater than a characters Force score, then they go over to the Darkside and become NPCs.
1.6 Nova Points: A character starts with 2 Nova Points (by the book) and can only ever have a maximum of 5 unspent Nova points.

Step 2: Species
There are 3 classifications of species for SS/SW: Humans, Droids, and Aliens.
-Humans: Humans receive all the benefits as indicated in the Human entry of the Field Manuel pg 11.
-Droids: Droids receive all benefits as indicated in the Android entry of the Field Manuel pg 9.
-Aliens: There are a multitude of Aliens in the Star Wars Universe. If a player wishes to play an Alien race, they will ask the Siege Engineer to create the specifics for that Alien race. Some examples of Alien races available for play are Ithorians, Mon Calamari, Rodians, Twi'Lek, and Wookies. There are other Alien races. Ask the Siege Engineer for more info.

Step 3: Professions and Skill Bundles
The Professions listed in the Field Manuel pg 12 will be used with the following changes/additions:
-Change Psion to Jedi
-Add Noble: Awareness, Lore, Persuasion to the list.

Step 4: Specialties
Starting XP for all characters to spend on Specialties/Force Powers is 10 + any bonuses from Knowledge and Savvy + 3d4.

Step 5: Credit, Debt, and Starting Equipment
Determine starting credits, debt, and equipment by the book.

Step 6: Finishing touches
Determine Wound Track, Stress Track, and Defense Ratings by the book.

Step 7: Character Background
Determine character backgrounds by the book.

Character Advancement
Characters advance per the rules in the Field Manuel pgs 19 & 20.

Playing the Game
All rules in this section will be followed.

Equipment
All equipment of the appropriate Tech level are available for character selection.

Force Powers (Special Abilities)
Potency and Drain
-A Force Power with a Potency (P) rating greater than 0 requires the user to make an Empathy check CL equal to the Potency unless they have a Force score equal to or greater than the Potency rating. (Ex: Telepathy has a Potency rating of 4 (P4). A Force user who has a Force score of 3 or less would have to make an Empathy check with a CL of 4 to activate this power. If they had a Force score of 4 or more, they could activate Telepathy without a check.)
-A Force user can use a number of Force Powers in a 24 hour period equal to their Force score without tracking Drain. Once the Force user has reached that limit, they suffer the effects of Drain as normal. (Ex: A Force user has a Force score of 10. They can use 10 Force Powers for “free” before they have to track Drain.)

The following Force Powers are available for purchase:
(Note: Trappings will be forth coming)
Clairvoyance (Second Sight)
Confusion
Energy Manipulation
Healing
Intuition (Sense the Force)
Lightsaber (Nova Sword) Combat
Physical Enhancement
Sensory Enhancement
Sixth Sense* (Danger Sense)
Telekinesis*
Telepathy*

*Listed in the Field Manuel pg 27
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Nice

I like your input to the Psi and starting exp, They go a long way on fixing the issues I had on my solo 'play test'.

Also, after the playtest, I don't think having the Jedi use drain rules is as crippling as I first thought. So, I can't argue my original point. Except for one area. Light Saber ... Does it count as a force use each round that the Jedi does an attack or defense, or just one use of the power per 'fight'? If it is one use of the power for each round in combat, that is still a significant limiting factor. If, on the other hand, it is just one use to 'power up' the ability at the start of the fight and it lasts through the fight (or at least a number of rounds determined by ... I'm not sure) then I think it fits the way Jedi are represented in the movies a lot better.

Now, I'd still advocate (or rebel rouse depending on the side of the argument you are on) for a Jedi getting a bonus tied to their force points/nova points. I've thought about it a bit & yes my original idea of a bonus equivalent to the total of force points to all rolls is WAY to powerful ! However, I thinks something like:

The Jedi -due to their close tie and understanding of the force - get a bonuses equal to their nova point total to nearly any skill of force power roll. This bonus can be used once a day times their nova point total. For example a novice Jedi with 2 nova points can gain a +2 twice a day. A veteran Jedi with 4 nova points gains a +4 4 times a day. A Jedi should never use this bonus to increase damage. If they do so, they automatically gain 2 dark side / corruption points.

However a fallen Jedi or Sith - due their tie to corrupted force and impassioned emotions - gain similar bonus (based off their corruption total) with the similar bonus and times per day. But, in the fallen Jedi / Sith's case, the bonus can only be used for a force power that causes direct damage to a target, an attack roll, or to increase damage.

For Jedi 'paths' and skill bundles, I have a few ideas. Let me put them down on paper and run them through a few common sense checks. After that I'll hang them here.

Similarly, I have ideas for some of the standard alien species. I'll check through them and hang them too.

Sadly, the weather here turned bad ... rain snow mix ... so bad that the geese and ducks kept their heads tucked in and didn't fly this morning, and it is getting worse. I had to come in from the pond to refresh my coffee, & I probably wont go out to the pond again today. Soooooo, pending any honey do's I'll have time to get some of the ideas checked and posted. ... but, if the geese do start to fly ... ;)

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Looks like a great start. I don't even have a PDF of SS with me to start looking at that side of things, but it looks good on this "side".

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm out and about right now, ski I don't have access to my books, but I think I might have Force Powers with the Automatic class not count toward force use for the day.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:Looks like a great start. I don't even have a PDF of SS with me to start looking at that side of things, but it looks good on this "side".

Do you need a copy of SS in pdf? I can e-mail you a copy to use until you get back home.
Rigon wrote:I'm out and about right now, ski I don't have access to my books, but I think I might have Force Powers with the Automatic class not count toward force use for the day.

R-
I wasn't sure if LS combat was one of the powers that you considered a power with a P level of 0. If so great that fixes that. If that was the case form the start, and I was just to dense to put 2 & to together on it, ... just consider this a bit of debate practice and nothing to see here ... move along ... move along ... :lol:

Oh by the way, just finished doing the dishes and watched a nice V of geese fly over. The were too high to be landing at the pond I hunt, so I didn't tear up, but .... guess where I'll spend this afternoon :D

That said, it will be a day or 2 before I can do anything on the aliens or the Jedi paths. :lol:

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Ok, this isn’t near as thought out and clean as I like … I had minimal time yesterday – between church, fixing a heater that went out on the coldest day of the year thus far, and 3 honey do’s – and NO time today – to clean up my ideas I had on the duck pond Saturday. However, for food for thought:

Equipment, lasers don’t seem to fit Star Wars . They are too accurate … a laser rifle’s range is ‘line of sight’ so, for a 6 ft tall man it is 7 miles – unless there is terrain or cover in the way, and someone on a 30-40 ft watch tower it is out to 9+ miles (I’d have to look in my wx deployment flips to get exact distance but that is close.)
I do like the armor piercing element of lasers …

I already covered the issue I have with range distances – pistol accurate out past 100m +.

The long guns – blaster rifle, slug thrower rifle, and laser rifle – get bonuses even at close range. It is too hard to get a long gun on target at close range – Heck, I’m lucky to get a shotgun with a IM choke on a rabbit at close range (as stated in the rules – I’d argue for a - ?6? at point blank (under 5 meters) and a - ?3? at close (unless they are set in ambush ad ready). That gives carbines and pistols a benefit they deserve.

Question on vehicles and scale. Can a vehicle mount a weapon that is one scale modifier down (to avoid the – to hit when a vehicle sized item is firing at a person) . Say a speeder (or a tramp freighter)has a regular sized vehicle to vehicle weapon , but then have a secondary (or tertiary) weapon for vehicle to troop fighting (Like a tank having a 50 cal or a SAW). of course with the reduction in size, there would be a reduction in damage, that is given

There was something else, but I’m too brain fried right now to think of it … sorry

I have an idea (well 3 ideas) for the first alien conversion, but there is no way right now I could do a good write up of it so you could see which of the 3 methods you'd prefer... I can't say when work is going to let up, my buddy at work has a very sick kid so will miss at least till Thursday, I have my first hearing tomorrow and at least 3 more being loaded in the very near future ... again sorry

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

No problem Lurker. I have a fund raiser I have to organize for this weekend, so will have little time to work on things this week myself. But I'm hoping to have Powers written up by end of next week.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

StarSIEGE is on sale at DriveThruRPG for under $7. Go get it if you don't have it.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:StarSIEGE is on sale at DriveThruRPG for under $7. Go get it if you don't have it.

R-

I have it in PDF, I just didn't have it in PDF on the laptop I had with me.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well, the hearing went better than I thought – is it sad that the decision review officer asked me how long I’d worked for my office, and when I said about 5 months – I fluffed the number up to not overly worry the vet and his wife too much – he actually blinked twice and said ‘wow, most aren’t allowed to handle a hearing by themselves until about a year. Good luck’ – After the hearing I was brain fried. But now, I can think coherently. So, here you go on my first try at converting a race.

Duros * the description is based off wookieepedia, & the Star Wars REUP rules from ‘The Rancor Pit’ forum

An alien humanoid species of average height and slightly delicate build. They are hairless, with light blue-green skin, red eyes, lipless mouths and long flat/noseless faces. Though less numerous than humans, they are still nearly omnipresent and can be found on all but the most remote or isolated settlement

They were one of the first species to play a key role in the early Galactic Republic, and some believe they were the first to develop the hyperdrive. They are renowned for their natural affinity for technology and mechanics. It is rumored that some Duros are so skilled with the understanding of the principles governing astrogation that they can calculate coordinates and plot jump without the aid of astrogaition computers. Regardless of the truth of that rumor, Duros, with their skills in technology and mechanics and their long history of space travel, are valued and highly sought after members of space crews.

Duros tend to be adventurous to intensely curious, seeking to find what is at the end of the next jump into poorly charted space. They are proud, self-sufficient , and self-reliant, but also are humorous and ready members of a group. They are drawn to being hyperspace explorers, star charters, and spacers of all descriptions. They also tend to gravitate toward the sciences, including engineering and astrogation. Some Duros shun exploration in favor of smuggling and trading, and a small number go into diplomatic professions. Duros soldiers, mercenaries and bounty hunters are rare, but not unheard of.

Size 9, Move 1 (ground) Personal

Attribute - Durous can never have a physique higher than a +1, but never have a Knowledge and Savvy below 0
Plus 1 to tech score, and even if they are from a back water planet with an exceptionally low tech score, a duros will never have a tech score less than level 8

Version 1
Can chose 3 specialties from handling &/or mechanics that are at +3 even if they do not chose either of those skill bundles.

Version 2
Only at character creation, specialties from the handling (excluding animal handling) and mechanics are at half the normal cost – every xp spent gets 2 levels in those skills . This allows a character to spend up to 5 points on one of these skills but results in a +10 to the skill

Version 3
Similar to Humans, Duros are allowed to choose 3 skill bundles at creation, but one must be either handling or mechanics

Let me know which version you prefer, and I’ll base any other alien races I convert on that version

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:StarSIEGE is on sale at DriveThruRPG for under $7. Go get it if you don't have it.

R-

I figured you did, I was just puttig it out there. Maybe some one like Aramis, who doesn't have it, would like to get it at this greatly reduced price. Plus, if the Trolls see that there is a big enough interest in the old rule set, we may get that new layout we all want.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lurker wrote:Well, the hearing went better than I thought – is it sad that the decision review officer asked me how long I’d worked for my office, and when I said about 5 months – I fluffed the number up to not overly worry the vet and his wife too much – he actually blinked twice and said ‘wow, most aren’t allowed to handle a hearing by themselves until about a year. Good luck’ – After the hearing I was brain fried. But now, I can think coherently. So, here you go on my first try at converting a race.

Duros * the description is based off wookieepedia, & the Star Wars REUP rules from ‘The Rancor Pit’ forum

An alien humanoid species of average height and slightly delicate build. They are hairless, with light blue-green skin, red eyes, lipless mouths and long flat/noseless faces. Though less numerous than humans, they are still nearly omnipresent and can be found on all but the most remote or isolated settlement

They were one of the first species to play a key role in the early Galactic Republic, and some believe they were the first to develop the hyperdrive. They are renowned for their natural affinity for technology and mechanics. It is rumored that some Duros are so skilled with the understanding of the principles governing astrogation that they can calculate coordinates and plot jump without the aid of astrogaition computers. Regardless of the truth of that rumor, Duros, with their skills in technology and mechanics and their long history of space travel, are valued and highly sought after members of space crews.

Duros tend to be adventurous to intensely curious, seeking to find what is at the end of the next jump into poorly charted space. They are proud, self-sufficient , and self-reliant, but also are humorous and ready members of a group. They are drawn to being hyperspace explorers, star charters, and spacers of all descriptions. They also tend to gravitate toward the sciences, including engineering and astrogation. Some Duros shun exploration in favor of smuggling and trading, and a small number go into diplomatic professions. Duros soldiers, mercenaries and bounty hunters are rare, but not unheard of.

Size 9, Move 1 (ground) Personal

Attribute - Durous can never have a physique higher than a +1, but never have a Knowledge and Savvy below 0
Plus 1 to tech score, and even if they are from a back water planet with an exceptionally low tech score, a duros will never have a tech score less than level 8

Version 1
Can chose 3 specialties from handling &/or mechanics that are at +3 even if they do not chose either of those skill bundles.

Version 2
Only at character creation, specialties from the handling (excluding animal handling) and mechanics are at half the normal cost – every xp spent gets 2 levels in those skills . This allows a character to spend up to 5 points on one of these skills but results in a +10 to the skill

Version 3
Similar to Humans, Duros are allowed to choose 3 skill bundles at creation, but one must be either handling or mechanics

Let me know which version you prefer, and I’ll base any other alien races I convert on that version
I'd have to see how the BPs would look for each version. The baseline is 50 BP for a race/species, so you'd have to make those choices fit into that limit. The +1 to Teck score would be in the Special Abilities section of the species listing, not as an Attribute.

But of your 3 choices, I like the 3rd one best (based off of your description).

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:
Treebore wrote:

R-

I figured you did, I was just puttig it out there. Maybe some one like Aramis, who doesn't have it, would like to get it at this greatly reduced price. Plus, if the Trolls see that there is a big enough interest in the old rule set, we may get that new layout we all want.

R-
The funny thing is, to me at least, is if I had been smart enough to actually sign into my drivethru account, I would have seen that is where I bought the PDF (I have bought a number of them directly from the Trolls over the years), and would have had the PDF on that laptop too. Its what I get for being too brain dead to think.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:

I'd have to see how the BPs would look for each version. The baseline is 50 BP for a race/species, so you'd have to make those choices fit into that limit. The +1 to Teck score would be in the Special Abilities section of the species listing, not as an Attribute.

But of your 3 choices, I like the 3rd one best (based off of your description).

R-

BPs make my head hurt ... Plus, I've never been a huge fan of making sure every class or race is perfectly numerically balanced ...

So, I'll put out ideas and you can do the book work and number crunching ;)

I'll say all 3 have merit and I could easily play any of them, but of the 3 I do think I like the 3rd best too.

My next one will probably be the Wookiee, but it will be a while, I have a basket ball game to go to, a funeral/celebration of life, and 2, maybe 3, hunts already planned for the weekend ...

C&C Society