FREEEEDOOOOMMMMM

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

FREEEEDOOOOMMMMM

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Finally, I just turned in my creative writing portfolio, the last of my 150+ pages of writing due this week. This has been the worst semester of my college career. A short list of things that have happened:

1. Apartment Robbed

2. New Computer Crashed lost ALL papers not backed up, including my senior thesis in history.

3. Wheel bearings bust on car

4. New flatscreen TV gets scratch

Now I just have to get 16 more credit hours to finish my degree, I really need this summer.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

joewolz
Ungern

Post by joewolz »

Dude, that sucks. I have also had a terrible semester. Grad school blows hard bro.

Are you in the History department at SIU? I mean...jesus, that'd be weird.

GutboyBarrelhouse
Skobbit

Post by GutboyBarrelhouse »

Hope you have a rockin' summer to make up that streak of bad luck, Kyle.

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

Hey Combat. I remember you telling us about all those bad things. Sorry you've had a tough year.

My year "went bad" a couple of months ago. I haven't shared this yet, but back on on March 1, my fourth son, Brody, was born with an abnormal heart. After fighting for thirty hours, he died at Children's hospital in St. Louis.
Luckily, we all have C&C and LA to occasionally take our minds off of all the bad stuff in life.

Hey now, I was a History major at SIU back in the 80's. Is there some kind of freaky connection?

John Adams

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Coleston,

I saw family members go through a very similar loss about 6 years ago. It is a very rough loss, and I am sorry your family has to go through it. My condolences.

Combat,

Just be glad it is all stuff that can be recovered from.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

ConnallMac
Mist Elf

Post by ConnallMac »

Coleston,

You have my condolences, for what they are worth. I had a niece born about a month and half ago and she has yet to come home from the hospital. She was born with Cystic Fibrosis, and she was born premature. She is now recovering from a nasty infection and open heart surgery.

J. Haney

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Coleston,

I have four children myself, yet even so, I can't even begin to imagine how hard that must've been. No one should have to go through that. I can't make it better, but what I can do is sincerly wish you and your family the best. May the fates smile kindly upon you and yours from now on. You've had your fair share of misfortune. Let the rest of the world carry the load for a while.

Speaking of which...

Kyle, dude, hang in there. They say bad luck comes in threes, so you should be clear of the woods by now.
And Kudos on the master's degree. Just got my MBA last semester so I've got a good idea what it's like.

My own bad news pales by comparison. During gaming last night, my daughter suddenly decides she's going to prom...tomorrow. Nothing like last minute preparations. Thank goodness my wife is a cosmetologist.

Brian Miller
Promoting C&C at Gary Con and LGGC since 2005.

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Thanks guys.

Combat, sorry to highjack your post. Stuff about my boy just comes out when I least expect it.

John Adams

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I don't think anyone wants an apology, grief is often dealt with in, hopefully, manageable pieces. So I would guess your heart and mind were just ready to deal with the next "piece" and it let your concious mind know it by bringing it out in the post.

I actually had kind of a similiar experience with my very first children. One was born extremely premature, had barely developed into a recognizeable form. I cried my eyes out (metaphorically speaking) and I was done. My wife had a bit harder of a time, but she dealt with it rather quickly.

The story isn't done yet, so read on.

About two years later my wife went into the (military/naval) hospital (since I was in the Navy at the time, including the "miscarriage") to have our daughter, who was born on our one year wedding anniversary, and herself checked up on, and she was looking through her medical record, which she had done many times before.

She noticed some "new" records she had not seen before. Since they were about her miscarriage and emergency DNC she read them. She read about a viable fetus that was noticed prior to doing the DNC. Without notifying my wife or I, before, during, or after performing the DNC, they removed the baby! I won't go into telling you how they did it, very disturbing!

So now that we had our daughter, it really hit us how much of a "loss" that child was. Unfortunately we went to a bad lawyer and were too ignorant to realize it, because they said we didn't have a case for lawsuit or criminal charges.

So the point of telling all of this, is I found it kind of wierd how much more the loss of the baby due to the DNC hit me than the miscarried baby. Then I realized it was because having my daughter taught me just how precious the lives lost were.

So I imagine that it similiar to your experience, because every time you look at your kids you know exactly how precious the life of your lost child is, and how much you and the world lost. So it is a very deep pain you and your wife are dealing with, especially your wife, I would think. Since she had the boy kicking and moving inside her belly for months it is much more "intimate" of a loss for her.

So we feel your loss, and we just hope and pray your family gets through it soon. Yes, you never totally leave it behind, but you deal with it so you and your family can move forward, and use the loss to strengthen your love and commitment to each other. At least that is what my wife and I have done. So I hope you and yours gets "there", whatever that is, soon.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Quote:
Are you in the History department at SIU? I mean...jesus, that'd be weird.
Quote:
Hey now, I was a History major at SIU back in the 80's. Is there some kind of freaky connection?

History Majors Unite...at the unemployment line.
Quote:
Just be glad it is all stuff that can be recovered from.

Couldn't say it better myself, this post is not a complaint, it is a celebration, with the end of the semester, my sanity can now return. Anyway I have my health, my family and a wonderful girlfriend, can;t be happier now.
Quote:
And Kudos on the master's degree. Just got my MBA last semester so I've got a good idea what it's like.

No Masters, that would be joe, I'm working on my BA, I am applying to Law School this fall after I take the LSAT.

Anyway, like I said this post wasn't a complaint it was a giant exhale. I am is a very good mood right now.

Finally, condolences to those in this thread with lost children, I have lost friends in Iraq and that hurt, I can;t imagine whta it would be like to lose a child, that is a real loss. A scratched flatscreen is a minor inconvienence.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Well, History Majors can always play Jeopardy!

John Adams