Types of RPG Gamers

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Inkpot wrote:
Great....I've got MRPGD.....

Ink

Which ones?

Brian Miller
Promoting C&C at Gary Con and LGGC since 2005.

Inkpot

Post by Inkpot »

I think I've been guilty of every single one that's been mentioned so far (even my own "overactorism"). It all boils down to just finding your own 'groove' when you play, you know? Before I started playing with my kids and my girlfriend, I hadn't played face-to-face with anybody in years. But now that I'm playing with them, I'm having to find that 'groove' again. Not an easy task, but so far no one's thrown their dice at me. So, it's all good.
Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

I met a DM at the Winter Fantasy Con back when it was in Lake Geneva, WI at the former Americana resort around the early to mid-eighties. He was extremely creative and highly entertaining. Changed my whole outlook on the game.

Ever since then, I've considered adventure writing and GMing to be an artform which few master...and even they have good and bad days. In 25 years, I've only met a half dozen people or so who could consistently "wow" other gamers. For me, that's the groove to strive for and it seems to come mostly from originality and showmanship...which I think makes those two the funnest types of RPG gamers because they usually have something unique and entertaining to offer. But that's just my take on the issue as an admittedly "old school" gamer who prefers it that way. Match up an original and entertaining adventure with a GM with a sense of humor and showmanship skills and you're bound to get a fun game.

Brian Miller

tug

Post by tug »

My first post yay!
The Smoker The one that will wait for any lull in the game to get outside to have a smoke. Also they tend to sit as close to the door as they can.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Welcome aboard Tug!

The dilletante-- the player that has a character that refuses to loot bodies but still wants all the treasure, after its been cleaned up, and only if its worth thousands of gold pieces.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

serleran wrote:
Welcome aboard Tug!

The dilletante-- the player that has a character that refuses to loot bodies but still wants all the treasure, after its been cleaned up, and only if its worth thousands of gold pieces.

And whats the matter with that? Small, portable, and valuable. Thats the order of the day. Finding 1 million gold pieces is easy. Moving that amount through hostile territory without it being looted. Thats hard. ^_^

An overburdened tomb raider is usually lunch.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

tug

Post by tug »

serleran wrote:
Welcome aboard Tug!

Thanks serleran!
The surprise GM The person that shows up, and finds out the moment they walk through the door that they're GM'ing. SURPRISE!

lordmhor
Henchman

And Let's Not Forget...

Post by lordmhor »

Of all the types mentioned, let's not forget the short-lived genuinely psychotic hallucinating gamer who sees the run actually happening in the gaming room and needs to be duct-taped to heavy furniture for the safety of the group!
That which does not kill us makes us linger!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I have had to deal with the sleeping gamer (bad sleep apnea) and the drunken gamer. That was the last time I allowed alcohol at games in my house!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

I second the no alcohol rule. I played with a group that drank every session and always ended up with a TPK (DM got violent when drunk, took it out on the characters) or everyone attack each others character. They couldn't figure out why I quit the group.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I have a neighbor who is a drunk in total denial, always asks me why I suddenly dissappeared last night. Then when I tell him because he had reached his drunken butt opening stage he always says, "I wasn't that drunk!" To which I always respond, "Which one of us is making up stories now?"

Classic example of a real cool guy who doesn't see how his drinking is screwing up his life, not to mention his wife's and 5 and 3 year-old daughters.

Plus I think his wife likes to smoke very smelly cigarettes. Haven't actually seen her smoking them, but I have definitely smelled that unique odor around her house. At least she hides in the back of the house and has her daughters play on the front porch while I suspect she is doing it.

If I'm right she definitely knows how bad what she is doing is, since she is a High School Science teacher like I used to be. Between her degree and the drug prevention training/seminars I know she has sat through I know she isn't ignorant.

Once I am positive she is smoking those funny cigarettes I'll ask her if she wants help stopping. If I'm right, I think she does want to quit based on some comments that caught my attention. I would prefer to find out my suspicions are totally wrong, though. Their kids need to have one good strong and stable adult in their household.

Wierd how you start writing stuff on these messageboards and then ask yourself, "Why the hell did I type all of that?" I know, it is Julian's fault.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Here is another one the Smorgasbord gamer. This is the player games mainly because of the abundance of junk food and/or pizza. Gaming is fun but the free buffet is thier goal.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I think the food was a major part of the last 4 or 5 gaming groups i was part of. I know i looked foreward to cooking out on the grill!

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

The dice-depleted DM - Starts gaming night with a whole jar of dice and ends up with half a jar.
Goes right along with...

The dice-adopter - Compulsive kelpto. Likes cool dice, especially if they're yours...for the moment.

The dice record keeper - keeps track of how many naturally 20's in a row theirs or other dice have rolled.

The experimental dicer - Has dice for a roll involving any number and some that serve no real purpose. Can even produce a 1-sided or when rolled all together can spell out the martian alphabet.

The dice abondoner - never uses the same dice twice.

The dice-compensator - must have the biggest dice in existance, even if they're too big to be shook in two hands and rolling them puts dents in the table.

The killer-dice-assassin - Any dice that consistently roll 20's vanish, never to be seen again.

Brian Miller

"My clear blue 20 sided is in Jimmy Hoffa's left suit pocket."

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

And now for the true "dice masters"...

The master-dice dropper - can drop any die from a height of one foot so it lands on whatever number they want.

The master-dice spinner - can spin any die or get them all spinning at the same time.

Brian Miller

"My record is 6 6-sideds before the first one stopped spinning"

"If you think that's tough, try spinning a 4-sided."