Types of RPG Gamers

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
miller6
Lore Drake

Types of RPG Gamers

Post by miller6 »

Here's an interesting topic.

How many different types of RPG gamers can you come up with?

i.e.
Role-players (ham up the personalities)
Hack & Slash (Slice and dice everything, be it friend or foe)
Campaign (in it for the story line over the long haul)
Powermonger (gotta have the toughest characters)
Competitive (all for player scoring)
Random (more free roaming, less plot)
Wargamer (prefer large scale battles)
Light-Humor (funny modules i.e. Castle Greyhawk)
Historian (simulate history accurately)
Strategist (in it for the puzzles, riddles, traps & battle tactics)

I'm sure there's a bunch more and different ways to classify them. I imagine most gamers would fall into a couple categories. These are just a few off hand in no particular order.

Is it possible to determine the percentages each sample population represents compared to the overall population of gamers?

I know the role-players versus the strategists comprise the best known split among gamer types with a third type that likes to balance both.

It occurrs to me that if dungeons were published as a number of different series each catering to a specific type of gamer, then once players new about it they could purchase an adventure that's exactly the type they want. Or is it actually better to mix them all together?

Impossible to determine? Good idea? Bad idea? What's your opinion?

Brian Miller
Promoting C&C at Gary Con and LGGC since 2005.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Types of RPG Gamers

Post by gideon_thorne »

There's two you didn't mention.

The non serious lets have fun variety.

And the obssessive fanatic.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

miller6
Lore Drake

Re: Types of RPG Gamers

Post by miller6 »

gideon_thorne wrote:
There's two you didn't mention.

The non serious lets have fun variety.

And the obssessive fanatic.

Heh. Yeah, some of us old timers try to avoid bringing up the "obsessive fanatics" because of all the times we've had to defend the game to nay-sayers. And of course, GMs were targeted as the "ring leaders".

Heh #2. The "non-serious lets have fun variety" makes me think of the gamers who discuss trivia or what they did that week while the rest of us are trying to play.
I also forgot to mention "the onlookers" (don't wanna play, just wanna watch).

Brian Miller

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Thought of two more...
unorthadox gamers (for everything they try, you have to make up a rule because it's not covered in the book).
Rule-book lawyers (by the book, no exceptions)

Brian Miller

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

miller6 wrote:
Thought of two more...
unorthadox gamers (for everything they try, you have to make up a rule because it's not covered in the book).

Thats me. ^_^

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

I'm not sure what to call them, but every group has had one at one point or another.

The guy who sits there and reads books from different settings, systems etc. Is only interested when combat is going on, and says thinks like "But it will give me -2 to AC" or I won't play X race, they get mniuses to X." I think the ADD Metagamer would be a good title.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Actor-- the kind that has an in-depth role they play, but must be convinced to play, in every minute action, and gets ticked when it comes to combat because that's just so cliche.

Interrupter-- the guy, who, no matter what or when, always has something to say, in, and out, of character.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Good ones. Wholeheartedly agree.

I almost forgot these guys...
hp weasel (always insists that he doesn't take a single point of damage, or takes less than normal for one reason or another, insists on keeping track of all damage in his head and not on paper).
elf lover (only plays elves, period.)
die fudger (has clear dice with no numbers yet somehow always rolls a natural 20, or is always rolling dice, then calls attention to the roll that succeeds, frequently rolling "to hit" rolls out of turn.

Brian Miller

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Combat guide for the unorthadox gamer.

First rule of combat - get initiative and turn opponent's helmet backwards so they can't see.

Second rule of combat - open their plate armor butt-hatch while they're trying to turn their helmet around.

Third rule of combat - grab their weapon and pull it out of their hands while they're trying to close their butthatch.

Fourth rule of combat - get initiative and insert their weapon in the open butthatch before they can take it back.

Fifth rule of combat - Be polite and close the butthatch so they don't catch a cold...then ask wizard to weld it shut.

Brian Miller

(maybe I shouldn't take credit for this one)

"Okay, so I need to roll what to do this?...Whaddya mean I CAN'T!...Fine, then I...uh...kick him really hard...I CAN! Cool...But first I do a triple flip and dance on his head...while balancing a plate on the end of my sword and juggling my oil flasks."

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Which reminds me of another type of gamer...
chain-actioner(announces a never-ending series of actions, all in a single go).
massive multi-classer (all of their characters are fighter/wizard/thief/priest/monk/paladin/proctologist/vetranarians)

And for the late-night gamers...
dozer (dude, wake up and roll a save)

Brian Miller

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Multi-dicer. Similar to a die fudger, a multi-dicer rolls four or more dice for everything, never declaring which was the "true" die, but always seeming to pick the one that rolled the best.

Favored. The player that's known the DM the longest or most intimately and picks up on all subtle clues or tricks, and possibly knows the inner workings, making it nearly impossible to not metagame. Sometimes, seen by the other players as being "special," in that things will go this player's way, especially in terms of magic item distribution.

Schizo. The player that has to play something truly bizarre, with some outlandish personality trait, and constantly makes sure you know it.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Heh, the "favored" may even request that a particular magic item be stocked in the dungeon.
The peeker (sneaks a look around the GM screen at the module or map whenever you're busy dealing with other players)

Brian

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

miller6 wrote:
And when the favored isn't around...
The peeker (sneaks a look around the GM screen at the module or map whenever you're busy dealing with other players)

Brian

*chuckles* Never have this problem. I keep all relavent info in my head. ^_^

It's also an advantage when I am used to not using modules and makes up everything as I go.

Peter Bradley

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Heh, so true...too many sessions too often. Can't have 'em ALL prepared. Gotta wing it now and then.

But when you do, gotta watch out for the rule book lawyer ("Show me where it says that!")

Oh, and why is it that the peeker always sits to the GM's right? They all must be left-eyed or something.

Brian Miller

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

And let's not forget...
the anal-retentive gamer (every character has its own plastic cover, and they feel compelled to rewrite their character after any eraser mark or scribbling one thing out)

goes write along with

the pick-my-spells-and-items-as-I-go gamer ("Go ahead and start. I'll be done writing up my character in a minute.")

Brian Miller

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

miller6 wrote:
But when you do, gotta watch out for the rule book lawyer ("Show me where it says that!")

*smiles* On the bottom of my boot. If they want a closer look they better read fast while their being booted out the door.

Peter Bradley

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

There are books and even on-line tests about this topic. I'll have to ask Erica (DnDChick over at Necromancer) if she still has the links. I have even seen these tests over on ENWorld if any of you had a supporter account before Dcember 29th and can try the search function.

A google-foo master could also find them I am sure.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Quote:
*smiles* On the bottom of my boot. If they want a closer look they better read fast while their being booted out the door.

That certainly resolves the problem.
And Treebore, I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

Brian Miller

cleaverthepit
Ulthal

Post by cleaverthepit »

I'm a free roaming hack and slasher with a penchant for wargaming. If you add a beer or two and mix, i become a roleplayer.

heh

davis

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Quote:
If you add a beer or two and mix, i become a roleplayer.

If lost many a rogue with drunken gamimng. Hic check for traps, naw Hic.

Twang splat, thud.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I finally sent Erica an e-mail, so hopefully she has those sites saved somewhere.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Nym
Mist Elf

Post by Nym »

The "dice try-outs" gamer- rolls every die he/she owns, in sets or individually, to determine which will roll the highest that session. This person may stick with these dice throughout the game no matter what, or may re-do try-outs in the middle of the game if the initial results seemed to be some sort of fraud.

On a cathedral or a church,

Where, mid ecclesiastic style,

He smiles an early-Gothic smile.

-Oliver Herford

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Developer. The guy that goes home after a session and writes pages of material to create rules for situations that came up that night, so the next time it happens, there's something to check; probably associated with being a full-time RPG designer. Bears remarkable similarity to the rules' lawyer, but is actually a mutation.

Inkpot
Ulthal

Post by Inkpot »

Let's not forget the "overactors".....the ones who insist on flailing their arms about to demonstrate their particular attack and cannot do so without making "effects" noises.

"FWOOSH!"

"SHA!!!"

"KA-CHING!!"

Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Nym wrote:
The "dice try-outs" gamer- rolls every die he/she owns, in sets or individually, to determine which will roll the highest that session. This person may stick with these dice throughout the game no matter what, or may re-do try-outs in the middle of the game if the initial results seemed to be some sort of fraud.

Seen this one more than a few times which sometimes includes the following variation...
Dice-sacrificer (Any die that consistently performs poorly is disposed of in some melodramatic way (i.e. heavy sigh then thrown off the balcony and into the pond, etc.)

Brian Miller

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Inkpot wrote:
Let's not forget the "overactors".....the ones who insist on flailing their arms about to demonstrate their particular attack and cannot do so without making "effects" noises.

"FWOOSH!"

"SHA!!!"

"KA-CHING!!"

Ink

Okay, I admit it, I resemble that remark (and yes, including bad impersonations).

Brian Miller

"But how else can I play The Kirk?"

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Let's see, that's makes me an Overactor, Schizo and Unorthadox gamer so far.

And here's two more I'd have to include...
Joker (always looking for the laughs)
Dramaticist (hams everything up).

Brian Miller

"One great thing about gaming is you always have a captive audience."

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Oh, and some of you may be familiar with this guy...
Tragic GM (always expected to GM, never gets a chance to play)

and
Truly Tragic GM (Actually prefers it that way!)
Brian Miller

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Quote:
Tragic GM

Sadly thats me. I also tend to be a scizo and a die try out, on the rare occasions I get to play C&C. I play in a d20 modern and a WoD, but I woudl rather play C&C.

Inkpot
Ulthal

Post by Inkpot »

Great....I've got MRPGD.....

Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!