Favorite Board Games

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Dee
Ungern

Post by Dee »

Quote:
Dungeon! is one my all-time favorites.

Yeah, I kinda miss that game really.

One of the few board games you could actually play solo if you wished.

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

Guys,

I've only played the old GW Fury of Dracula - 'tho I've seen the new one and it looks pretty cool. It's a really fun beer and pretzels kinda game, with plenty of psyching-out-your-friends/spouse-kind-of-action. (the best reason to game, natch)

Magic Realm is one of my all-time favs, although it's really hard to get a game going these days. I played it incessantly with my friends when it came out (early 80s) and then picked up a new copy in the early '90s in grad school. It's a bear to set up, but worth it once play commences.

And cribbage is great. Helped me through the dark uncertain days before tenure. That and single-malt scotch, of course.

Anyone for Roman Republic? Technically a board game, but we always played it like an RPG. You play a gens from the republic and have twin goals: maximizing your own family power, wealth and honor while preserving the Republic. The mechanics are such that, in the Early Republic scenario, if you don't work together (that is, no one can be Augustus yet) the Republic falls and everyone loses. In the late Republic scenario, however, the Republic is basically safe and everyone can work towards acquiring governships (good for corruption), forming alliances to elect the consuls and (especially) the censor (who can proscribe your enemies). Great, great game. It's only drawback is that for maximum effect you need 12 hours to play ...

Geleg
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

mordrene
Ulthal

greatest game ever

Post by mordrene »

Has anyone played spacehulk. The greatest boardgame ever. The first edition rules had a time limit on the space marines that added to the medlam when the genestealers finally broke the ranks. man I loved that game.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Loved Spacehulk! Back in the day I managed to put together a few Spacehulk games and with Tyranid Attack! we'd have massive campaigns with 4 squads of terminator marines, and all sorts of enemies (Tyranids, hybrids, chaos space marines, chaos cultists etc. We even came up with rules for all the GW weapons found with the various terminators.

Back around 99 or 00 I was hard up for cash and sold all of mySpacehulk stuff. 2 copies of the game and Tyranid Attack! fetched me almost $400.00! Still though, kinda sad to see it go.

Awesome game.

.........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

sieg
Unkbartig

Post by sieg »

Steve,
I loved Guns of August! I always got stuck playing Czarist Russia though.... Still fun, though!

Geleg,

Here's a good site for the fan-created 3rd ed. of Magic Realm; along with some links and online play (just FYI).
http://www.thewinternet.com/magicrealm/

Roman Republic sounds good (and hist. accurate), but alas...never got ahold of a copy.

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

Sieg,

Thanks for the MR link. Got some good stuff there, including utilities.

You're a historian, right? If so, you'd love Roman Republic. It is accurate, but fun (that is, accuracy doesn't impede the ability to have a great time). A lot of the game play is interactive - to wit, each turn elections are held for the two consuls who, once elected, can dominate further discussion in the senate (ie by the players) by recognizing (or not) motions, etc.. So factions/alliances can build up and attempt to dominate the senate by dishing out the goodies. I'm a medievalist, but did a field in Roman and I am VERY impressed by the cool simulation and the possibility for open-ended RPG-style game play. Our group actually came up for a universally-agreed code word for assassination attempts ("Die scum!"); this was important so that we knew exactly *when* the party on the outs was trying to off the quasi-dictatorial Consul to prevent a resolution sending one of the weaker side's best men out on a useless military expedition (ie., one which guaranteed his death). Really great stuff ... In fact, I may try to hound my grad students into playing it this summer ...

Geleg
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

sieg
Unkbartig

Post by sieg »

Geleg,

Alas, only a MA. I've put PhD work to the side until I can earn a bit of $$$. Though my thesis work was on Feudal Law (Rickerton's Jus Feudale). I also did some Roman stuff as well, but with my vision (blindness) I don't know if I could really work the game board. Plus my wife's not much into the "Diplomacy"-style (the AH game) gaming...unfortunately!

I might pick it up anyway and try to get our group interested, though. Re: The Consular elections, how long (in the game) do Consuls sit? The usual 1 year? Do you "have" to be in Rome to run or is this beyond the marian/Sullan reforms? Can you do the usual Governor bit of looting your province?

...I'm really getting into this game, I think! What company put it out?

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

[long post on The Republic of Rome - ignore if not interested]

Sieg,

Hey, I hear you with grad school. It's a bear (9 yrs for me!). I'm happy (sorta) now that I'm done and tenured, but there were some shaky times. Sorry to hear about your vision ...

On to Republic of Rome:

IIRC, each turn is a 'year' and the turn involves phases: first a random 'death' draw (your gens card can accumulate better oratory, votes, wealth, etc - but to simulate passage of time, you draw a chit to see which scion of which family dies - could be NPC). Then there's a Forum Phase in which you do various collective activities, including a roll for new 'wars' (ie., punic, macedonian, gaullic, etc) which the republic must defeat (if 4 wars exist simultaneously everyone loses). Then I think each player gets a turn to do business - trying to attract new families (clients) to his/her side, collecting wealth, improving the scores of the leader, etc. Then there's a SEnate phase, in which the outgoing "Rome COnsul" calls first for elections for new consuls (as a slate, although for game turns one will be 'rome consul' and the other 'field consul' - the former has the last say in the Senate phase). You can also elect a pontifex maximus and a censor. Any player can make motions, but without a tribune card the Rome Consul doesn't have to acknowledge anyone (so that player and his friends can try to freeze out their enemies and take all the glory). During the senate phase you also distribute any existing governorships (by motion and vote) - they're a double-edged sword, 'cause they take you from ROme for 3 turns - you collect money for that family, but that family's votes are temporarily absent. As governor you have to decide whether you will be corrupt or not - you get lots of money for being corrupt, but can face prosecution by the censor on return (so if your enemies hold the censorship you can be screwed). Also in the Senate Phase you hold prosecutions (if there are any). ANd finally, and perhaps most importantly, during the Senate Phase you decide which wars to prosecute, with how many legions/fleets, and under what generalship. Successful generals get beaucoup benefits in terms of fame, votes, and money. Still, you can always screw with the enemy by sending him off with a bare minimum of forces (there's a combat resolution table that depends on number of legions, etc.). Finally, in the middle and late republic scenarios, anyone can elect to march on ROme (with loyal legions, if any, or provincial levies from a governorship) and try to seize the city and become dictator for life (this can happen by vote or, more usually, by warfare - the would-be-dictator's forces versus whatever the existing consuls w/friends can muster).

Despite the somewhat disjointed description, it is, as I said, a super game.

Here's a link to one review/store: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1513

Here's a long review:
http://www.gamecabinet.com/sumo/Issue4/ ... fRome.html

Some good links:
http://www.gamecabinet.com/sumo/Issue4/ ... fRome.html

Come to Greensboro and we'll get a game going ...

8)

Geleg

sieg
Unkbartig

Post by sieg »

Wow.....I see why you said you work it into an RPG! Its got all the politics and maneuvers used by Consuls and Senators throughout the Republic! I didn't expect the prosecution of govenors, but since Cicero did it I suppose it needed to be there.

Silly to talk of house rules, but I wonder if doing the 'historical' method of governorship dispersal (ie lots) would work?
Gotta get this game! Yeah, if we ever get in Greensborough we'll look you up!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Sieg,

I looked at a Texas map but couldn't spot your hometown. Is it close to El Paso by any chance?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

sieg
Unkbartig

Post by sieg »

Afraid not. Denton is about 45 minutes north of Ft. Worth....technically in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex. Which is good for our house value, not so good on property taxes.

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

[still pimping Republic of Rome]

As we know from C&C, you can houserule anything! why not let the governors go by lot?

It's pretty fun to do it by election, too - if one party/alliance is strong, they can in effect 'exile' their political enemies to the provinces en masse and then do all sorts of other stuff in Rome while they're gone - the only danger is that a governor, if corrupt, can 'rape the province', collect money, use it to raise provincial levies and then, possibly, march on Rome.

It's a good game to play with good friends, who appreciate the finer parts of role-playing and/or Diplomacy (Avalon Hill). I wouldn't play it with people I didn't know pretty well, 'cause when the betrayals start occurring and the alliances start shifting, I want to know that we're all enjoying things and not taking it too seriously.

BTW, I never answered you - Republic of Rome is/was an Avalon Hill bookshelf game. It's got a board, chits, family cards, and lots of room for rping. We'd start playing at noon on Saturday (in grad school) and finish at 10 PM.

Oh -one last point. You can play Early, Middle or Late Republic scenarios. The former absolutely requires group play, and punishes everyone if one person tries to do a Caesar in 250 BC. The middle republic scenario boasts a mix of necessary collective efforts to defeat the enemies of ROme of (IIRC) c.200-100 BCE and opportunities for personal advancement. With really clever play, you could trump Caesar by 100 years - but it's hard. By the time of the Late Republic scenario, there are no real external threats and (as in reality) it becomes a pure race to build alliances to get your guy made 'emperor' (er, dictator-for-life).

BTW, Sieg, your MA thesis sounds interesting. My diss (and first book) was on Lordship, both tenurial and personal, in a part of Western France during the crucial period 900-1150. The 'F' word (feudalism) is still a subject worthy of much comment!

blathering on like the prof I am ...
Geleg

skathros
Ungern

Post by skathros »

Two games i'm totally addicted to right now: Heroscape and deongeneer (yeah, i can make a case for both being considered board games )

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

My son and I play a lot of Heroscape, Axis and Allies, and RISK. Use Heroscape for gaming too!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Philotomy Jurament
Ulthal

Post by Philotomy Jurament »

Hmm. I don't play many board games, these days, but mine would be:

Chess

Stratego

Axis & Allies

Blitzkrieg

Dungeon! or HeroQuest are both okay, but every time I play them I realize I'd rather be playing D&D. I loved Dark Tower when I was a kid. That online version brought back some memories.

SirClarence
Ungern

Post by SirClarence »

Talisman - my top favorite board game, especially with all the add-ons

Settlers of Catan

Chess

Stellar Conquest

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

skathros wrote:
Two games i'm totally addicted to right now: Heroscape and deongeneer (yeah, i can make a case for both being considered board games )

I've got two copies of heroscape (they had a 2 for 1 sale at Walmart). I just used the dragon miniature's for gaming on Thursday night.

Brian Miller
Promoting C&C at Gary Con and LGGC since 2005.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I've got to add Clakkity. Yep. I'm going to start a Clakkity conversion from Blood Bowl. Its going to rule.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

serleran wrote:
I've got to add Clakkity. Yep. I'm going to start a Clakkity conversion from Blood Bowl. Its going to rule.

Never played Blood Bowl. Be interested to see what you come up with.

Brian Miller

miller6
Lore Drake

Clakkity the card game version

Post by miller6 »

Okay, I finished "Clakkity the Card Game Version"!
http://24.159.235.164:8000/miller6%20we ... 20game.pdf

Fast paced and playtested well! Enjoy!

Brian Miller

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

That does look very playable. I'll have to try it out with my kids tomorrow.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Just saw this elswhere on these boards, I believe in "projects" or "upcoming products" or something to that effect.

Anyways, this sounds cool enough that it might become one of my favorites.

Tarzan Triumphant: I am the Apeman

Board Game, $39.95 (est.),

TLG , ISBN 1-931275-50-5

For some time Tarzan lay where he had fallen upon the floor of the treasure chamber beneath the ruined walls of Opar. He lay as one dead; but he was not dead. At length he stirred. His eyes opened upon the utter darkness of the room. He raised his hand to his head and brought it away sticky with clotted blood. He sniffed at his fingers, as a wild beast might sniff at the life-blood upon a wounded paw. . . . What was he? Where was he? . . . The accident he did not recall, nor did he recall aught of what had led up to it.

~ Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar

Two Games in One Tarzans back in a board game that captures the essence of those most adventurous tales of the worlds most famous hero. As so often happened on his adventurous road, Tarzan has been struck with amnesia and it is up to you to figure out who is the true apeman. By overcoming obsctacles and out smarting your opponent (who is also trying to prove who the real apeman is) you prove that you are the true apeman. A game for the whole family to enjoy

Mode One: It is yours to plunge into the sprawling jungles around the mythical city of Opar and learn who is the true Apeman Up to seven players lead their own Waziri warriors and animal allies in a mad dash to seize the Golden City. Your opponents will try to stop you by killing your warriors, you and your animals, but it is up to you to seize the 5 gates of that jewel of a city. Once youve done that youve proven that you are the true apeman and Lord of the Jungle.

Mode Two: Jane has stumbled into Opars ancient treasure vault and become trapped. It is up to the true Tarzan to rescue her. Buried in treasture Tarzan or his allies must dash to Opar, seize the treasure and cart it back to his own city. Once Jane is uncovered only Tarzan can pick her up and carry her to safety. Of course, every imposter on the board will be out to steal her away.

Each player begins play with 18 Waziri warriors, 9 animal allies and 1 Tarzan piece. There are a total of 8 of Edgar Rice Burrough's lost cities on the gameboard, with jungle trails, rivers, lakes, swamps and mountains to cross. Then you have your opponents to contend with. Of course, if you can't take the pressure, you can always do like the imposter in Tarzan and the Golden Lion, and throw yourself in a river!

The High Lord, Coburg the Undying

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
troll@trolllord.com

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Treebore wrote:
That does look very playable. I'll have to try it out with my kids tomorrow.

Let me know how it goes...we had a blast (even though I kept losing)
Brian Miller

Nym
Mist Elf

Post by Nym »

serleran wrote:

Serl,

Awesome!!! Can we playtest it some gaming night? And should I provide the Kobold heads?
-Nym

On a cathedral or a church,

Where, mid ecclesiastic style,

He smiles an early-Gothic smile.

-Oliver Herford

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Bloodbowl? Wasn't that a football video game?

If so, I've got some RPG rules for football lying around here somewhere that I wrote up many years back...Hmmm, but where to look?

Brian Miller

"There's room on the Clakkity bandwagon for everyone...no skull gets left behind."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Blood Bowl is the Warhammer take on football. I don't believe it was ever a video game... but I could be wrong. I remember Cyberball, though.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

serleran wrote:
Blood Bowl is the Warhammer take on football. I don't believe it was ever a video game... but I could be wrong. I remember Cyberball, though.

I just check it to be sure. Blood Bowl was a mutant football league game (ironically featuring oversized goblins) for sega genesis as well as the boardgame you speak of. Never tried the board game, but from what I'm hearing, maybe I should.

Brian Miller

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Hmm, well, the only mutant football game I remember for Sega Genesis was Mutant League Football, though, it could have different names in different countries, and there could be more than one mutant game (I do know there was a Mutant League Hockey, too....) Ummm, anyway, yeah, I'm not really a video game historian... but, I do suggest looking at the board game Blood Bowl. Also, the RPG Blood Bath.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Can someone bring Blood Bowl the boardgame to the con? I'd like to try it out there.

Brian Miller

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I'm also pretty sure BLOOD BOWL was released as a video game quite a long time ago. Blood Blow IS ALSO a Games Workshop football-esque game featuring teams based on Warhammer Fantasy.

........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<