Favorite Board Games

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
catenwolde
Ungern

Post by catenwolde »

Troll Lord wrote:
Guns of August. A WWI board game that takes many, many hours to play. So very realistic that your pieces hardly move. I remember once, after trying to penetrate the german front for a long while I grew bored and had my french units attack each other!

LOL

Steve

I had that one! Did you ever play it's far more complex precursor, 1914?

catenwolde
Ungern

Re: greatest game ever

Post by catenwolde »

mordrene wrote:
Has anyone played spacehulk. The greatest boardgame ever. The first edition rules had a time limit on the space marines that added to the medlam when the genestealers finally broke the ranks. man I loved that game.

Spacehulk is great fun, and a real change of pace from most miniature wargames. Did you know you can download everything from the game (well, except the figures) from the web? This should get you there:
http://spacehulk.barsoom.cc/

Cheers,

Christopher

catenwolde
Ungern

Post by catenwolde »

I used to play the old Avalon Hill boardgames to death, especially the big classics like Third Reich (I have all three versions, the newest is great), and Squad Leader (only the basic version, not the monstrosity ASL has become).

I see Magic Realm was already discussed, another classic.

Republic of Rome! Now there is an old game that doesn't get a lot of press, from the later days of AH. A very involved game, despite its simple appearance, and well worth the enthusiasm displayed here. You really need a merry band of cut-throats to play.

Maybe I missed it, but I'm surprised not to see Civilization (I have the original and all the expansions) and most of all Kingmaker not mentioned. Kingmaker is perfect for abstracted campaigns, and can be esily house-ruled by adjusting the force cards, events, etc.

There are too many old classics to name, but Starship Troopers was another that still has great replay value. The "block games" from Columbia Games (the Harn guys) are also well worth the playing time.

Did anyone play the "Standard Games" games like Cry Havoc or Samurai Blades? Here's a good web page for them - these games would grab any skirmish gamer or rpg'er:
http://www.cryhavocfan.org/indexeng.htm

Cheers,

Christopher

PS - oh! anyone play the Imperium Romanum II? Played the hell out of that one - strategic level play with scenarios covering all of Roman History.

mordrene
Ulthal

Re: greatest game ever

Post by mordrene »

catenwolde wrote:
Spacehulk is great fun, and a real change of pace from most miniature wargames. Did you know you can download everything from the game (well, except the figures) from the web? This should get you there:
http://spacehulk.barsoom.cc/

Cheers,

Christopher

i had no clue. you have made my day

Col_Pladoh
Ulthal

Post by Col_Pladoh »

Okay!

I'll add my fravorites:

Two players:

SHOGI

COURIER CHESS

CHESS

CRIBBAGE

OPERATION OVERLORD

STRATEGO

AWFUL GREEN THINGS

CHINESE/KOREAN CHESS

Three or more players (in no particular order)

SETTLERS OF CATAN

RAIL BARON

DUNGEON!

TICKET TO RIDE EUROPE

DOUBLE CHESS

EMPIRE BUILDER

BIG BUSINESS (1948 EDITION WITH 48 STATES)

MONOPOLY

KING OF ENGLAND - KING OF FRANCE

Most any Tom Wham boardgame

Cheers,

Gary