Interesting House Rules

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Persimmon
Ulthal

Interesting House Rules

Post by Persimmon »

With the academic year nearing an end, I'm hoping to have a bit more time to game this summer. As I bring new people in, I always provide the house rules to standard 1st edition/C&C, which is my game of choice. So I was curious about other house rules people may have that have proved very effective or popular with players? I'll list mine here, broadly divided by categories.

Character Creation, Classes & Races
All characters get a 20 hp "kicker" at their initial generation. They then roll as normal and add the constitution bonus if applicable.--[I cribbed this from Hackmaster 4th edition and it really helps PCs survive the early levels. It doesn't seem to be unbalancing later as the rolls tend to balance out.]

All races & classes from C&C, Hackmaster 4th edition, and 1st edition AD&D are eligible, including Oriental Adventures

Players can use the alternate ability score generation methods from UA if they wish.

Humans can be any class and rise to unlimited level.

Only demi-humans can multi-class. Their class and level limits are taken from either Unearthed Arcana or the Hackmaster 4th edition books, ignoring the ability score requirements. If the demi-human decides not to multi-class, then their max level is 2 higher than listed. So a gnome illusionist can rise to 15th level. The idea is that demi-humans are special but to counter their ability to multi-class, they often have level limits or restrictions on classes.

We have gotten some interesting results with this, my favorite being the Half-elven/ Half-Asian-derived katana wielding bard who plays the samisen & the zither as her instruments!

Combat
We use the exploding die mechanic (i.e. on max damage you keep rolling until you don't get max). So if you roll 8 on d8, keep going until you don't roll 8. This also applies to healing spells.

Criticals--On a natural 20, you score a critical. Then roll a second d20. 1-15: x2 damage; 16-17: x3 damage; 18-19: x4 damage; 20: x5 damage. I may buy the Modiphius Conan dice set to use the hit location die to liven up criticals, but right now I just make it up. And exploding die can apply here too.

A natural 1 is a fumble. We use the Hackmaster 4th edition fumble table from their GMG.

Characters are unconscious at 0 hp and dead when they hit the negative value of their constitution score.

That's pretty much it but I'd love to hear tweaks that other people use.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Interesting House Rules

Post by Go0gleplex »

My House Rules can be found at;

http://www.knightsofthecrusade.com/node/460

But you will have to have access to the Knights downloads to view them mostly likely.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

My house rules address a number of issues I have had with C&C, and D&D in general, plus I've been turning C&C into my perfect game for over 12 years now. So my house rules doc is rather long, but it gives me what I consider to be my near perfect D&D style game, so...

C&C House Rules (last updated April 14th, 2015)

CHARACTER GENERATION:

Create characters however you wish within the 3-18 range, then racial modifiers. If you want a kind of random method then use either 10+2d4 or 4d6, reroll 1's and 2's until all dice are a minimum of 3, take best 3, arrange stats as desired.

I believe in high stat characters. If you don't I suggest you do for my games. Low stat characters will be very obviously less capable in comparison to high stat characters. So if you want to use low stats, go ahead, but don't complain about it later.

Hit Points: Max Hp's at first level. d4 HD reroll 1's, d6 and d8 reroll all 1's and 2's, d10 and d12 reroll 1-3's. You can also ask me about "take the CK's roll" before you roll for your HP.

Equipment: Max starting gold. Write everything on your character sheet. You don't write it down, you don't have it. Even when I remember you having it. So DON"T FORGET! You may want to use the starting bundles listed at/near the end of this document.

DUAL/MULTI-CLASSING RULES: As per 6th printing PH. Except you do NOT add the XP in the table on page 188. Just add the two classes XP together, thats it.

CLASSES:

Fighters:
They get to use their BtH to make combat related SIEGE checks, plus their specialization bonuses when using that weapon. All other classes use just their BtH.

Fighters can also learn to master (specialize) a new weapon every 3 levels. So at 4th, 7th, 10th, and so on they can master a new weapon. They only get the +1 to hit and damage. These additional weapons never increase to +2 like your first weapon does. Unless you use one of your additional "mastery's" to do so. So if you want to be +2 with the bow, you can use your 4th and 7th level mastery to do so. To be clear, the 7th level bonus can only be used to up your fist chosen weapon to +2, or you keep it at +1 and chose a different weapon to have a +1. You do not increase your first weapon to +2 and pick an additional weapon to +1, you do not get both.

Combat Dominance is now "Mass Combat Dominance". They get multiple attacks per round whenever the Fighter is taking on 3 or more opponents at one time. Regardless of HD. 1 attack per opponent, this replaces any other attacks.

Edit: Beginning of nocking two arrows rules:

1d20+12 to knock two arrows
then two attacks at -6
1d20+9 to knock two arrows
then two attacks at -9
Check 1d20+12 for extra attack
1d20+6 to knock two arrows
then two attacks at -12

Barbarian

When using their Intimidate Class ability, opponents do NOT get a CHA save. If the Barbarian makes a successful SIEGE check versus their opponents, with the CL being the highest HD of the opponents before them, then they are all intimidated.

Clerics:
Clerics can do SIEGE checks similar to Wizards.
Clerics can spontaneously convert spells to damage healing spells (IE restore HP's)
Clerics get to add their level to damage healing spells, which increases the amount healed up to the maximum. For example Cure Light cast by a 5th level Cleric rolls 1d8+5 up to a maximum of 8, not 13.

TURN UNDEAD: On a successful check, where not all are affected due to the die roll, an attempt can be made every round until they are turned, or the WIS check actually fails.

Rangers:
Get to choose an enemy at 6th level and every other level thereafter. IT must be pretty specific, such as Ogres, Frost Giants, Vampires, Worshippers of the "Forest Burners", etc... This allows you to add your bonus to all SIEGE checks against them, including attack maneuvers, AND add your level to the Damage if they didn't qualify for your marauder before. CK approval, of course.

Druids:
They can go one of two paths, animal or elemental. Either path gains the ability to become a Treant at 9th level. At 6th level you choose which path you will follow. Animal can choose animal forms to chang into. Elementalists choose one fo the 4 elementals, earth, air, fire, and water. One form at 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level, and you get the Treant form too. So by 9th level a Druid will be able to assume each elemental form and a Treant form, or 4 animal forms and a treant form.

Your HD and HP will be the same in your animal and elemental form. In animal/elemental form your BtH will equal your HD, and you gain the movement and special defenses of the animal/elemental form you have. Your damage and attacks are the same as the Animal/Elemental form as well.

Animal choices are fixed, but can be changed via a 3 day ritual cleansing and re-dedication to a new "totem".

At 12th level you can assume each chosen form 2/day. It becomes 3/day at 18th.

Paladins:
When they gain the Smite Evil ability they can use it once per day per level. OR they can choose to have "religious enemy" under the same rules as the Ranger's "enemy". Then choose a new one every two levels, like the Ranger does. They can only do one or the other, not both Smite and Religious Enemy. To clarify "enemy" choice, as a Paladin I allow it to also add +2 to Damage, and you can track them as well. However to explain why you can Track them and nothing else we will call it a divine power that acts like a very specific "Locate Object/Person" spell that lasts while there is a physical trail that could be followed by a Ranger.

HORSEMANSHIP (DEXTERITY): Paladins are trained on and are familiar with all types of horses, from mounts used for riding to heavy war horses. Without the need for an attribute check, Paladins can saddle, mount, ride and dismount; perform simple leaps and obstacle maneuvers (no more than 3 feet in height and move around small items such as barrels); control the mount in combat; guide a mount with the knees; and stay in the saddle when a mount rears or bolts. When viewing a horse or a group of mounts, Paladins can determine the strengths and weaknesses of each horse, and can generally pick out the strongest, fastest or all-around best horse.

With a successful check, and by foregoing any attack or other action, Paladins may direct their mounts to perform the following actions while mounted: cover, deflect, fall softly, leap and charge.
Deflect: This entails the mount being moved between the opponent and the or positioned to offer maximum cover for the Paladin, while at the same time allowing the mount to avoid blows. This maneuver gives a +4 bonus to the Paladin’s armor class and a +2 bonus to the mount’s armor class.
Cover: A Paladin can drop and hang alongside a mount, using it as three-fourth’s cover.
This grants a +6 bonus to the Paladin’s armor class from those on the opposite side of the horse. The Paladin cannot attack or be holding anything while using this ability.
Fall Softly: A Paladin can attempt to take no damage after falling from a mount, by rolling to the side or leaping off, including when the mount itself falls. A character takes 1d6 points of falling damage on any failed attribute check.
Leap: The Paladin may direct a mount to leap obstacles as part of its movement. The obstacles jumped can be no taller than 2/3rds. the height of the horse.

Assassins and Thieves:

Your BtH progresses as lvl - 3, so your BtH is 0 at first through third level, but increases by one every level thereafter.
Assassins can make a SIEGE check to do their death attack in one round. The check is TN 12 +2+ level/HD of the target.
Poison Harvesting: Is a CL 3 for every Type/rank of the poison to be harvested. So CL 3 for Type 1, maxing out at CL 18 for type 6. These will be the default CL's for successfully distilling them as well. Failed rolls mean you accidentally poison yourself and must make the appropriate saves. Recipe's still give the +10 bonus, but such recipe's can only be made by Assassins or Priests of a god with poisons in their purview. The CL for making such a recipe is 10+2x Poison type/rank, so will range from CL 12 to 22.

Thieves can make Type 1 to type 3 poisons as the Assassin, after that they can still make Type 4 and stronger poisons, but no longer add their level, but can use recipes to aid them. Thieves do need to make DEX checks to apply poisons to weapons, etc...

Knights

CHA modifier is always a +1, plus any additional modifier given by high CHA. High CHA also allows an additional use per day for each bonus point.

Wizards:
SIEGE checks can be used to alter spells being cast. A SIEGE check can be made to change the energy type of a spell. For example, to change a fireball to a electric ball, ice ball, etc... you make a TN 12 check + your level to beat a CL = to the level of the spell. So to change the fireball to ice would be a CL 3, so beat TN 15.

Similar checks can be done to maximize damage, CL spell level +3

To double range, CL spell level +3

To increase number of targets effected, CL spell level +3 per additional target (example spell, Charm Person to effect two people instead of one)

Failure, in all cases, loses you the spell. Roll a natural 1 and pray for survival if it causes damage.

SPELL CASTERS:
A new class ability for ALL spell casters, except Paladins.

Divine/Arcane blasts. These are a pure energy attack that any spell caster can use every other round as long as they do not cast any spells on the round in between. Yes, this means all day long. This is because that round is a recharge/gather the power round. This attack requires a "To hit" roll versus the targets AC, but the casters BtH for purposes of this attack is equal to their level and its modified by their DEX. Damage is 1d4 per level of the caster and requires a "item" as the component for this ability. It costs 20 GP per dice of damage. Typically a cleric uses their Holy Symbol and Arcane Casters most frequently make a wand.

As usual, I do allow a SIEGE check to cast this every round, it will be CON based, and failed checks will cost a temporary loss of one CON point to simulate the exhaustive nature of wasting the energy as well as gathering it so quickly. The CL will equal the amount of dice you want to do for damage, and the base TN will always be 12, since this is now a "Class Ability" for all spell casters.

Lost CON is regained at 1 point per hour of rest, or from a Lesser Restoration.

For Bran's games: Wizards are "sorcerers, and can use Illusionist spells as well, and they "know" all spells automatically, and are limited to casting the "spells per day". Yeah, its broken as hell, but he is still young.

Potion Making Rules:

You can make one "batch" in a weeks time. There are two limiting factors for each batch. First, you can never make more than 10 doses per batch. The other limiting factor is how many times you can cast the given spell you are turning into a potion in a single day. So if you can cast only 4 Fly spells in a given day, you can only make 4 doses at one time. Cost is 25% of book cost to buy per dose. For spells not covered in the books, determine it with the following formula, spell level x 100 gp + 200 gp.

SCROLLS

For Scrolls, if you can cast it, and its in your spell book, you can make a scroll, at a cost of 50 GP/spell level up to third, then at a cost of 100 GP per level there after. Since I presume the scroll spell is much like the spell in anyones spell book, the scroll is cast at the level of the user, and a SIEGE check only needs to be made if the spell is beyond the users level to cast, and then it operates at the minimum level required to cast the spell. Unless, of course, the user is a higher level. Then a SIEGE check wouldn't need to be made anyways. Writing the scroll takes the same amount of time for a spell of that level to be put into your spell book.

Scrolls are generally sold at 3 times the cost of making, so 150 GP/level 1 to 3, and 300 GP per level at 4th and above. Prices may vary based upon sellers perceptions at the time of sale, as is true of any such transaction with any item.

RUNEMARKS:
Are a rune based wizard. Plus everything class related is based off of their Wisdom, not intelligence.

Why? Because rune magic is literally based on word fragments of the "Words of Creation". So rune magic, and the fragments of the words of power used, are the ultimate source of all powers, divine and arcane. So they are treated as Divine, but might be able to use arcane items. Arcane item use is explained later.

Advantages: You only need to have your rune in hand to cast the spell and be able to speak the word of power associated with that spell. So all spells are verbal and material only, with the only material being the spell specific rune stone.

So Runemarks can be tied up, but as long as they have the runestone in their hands, and can speak, they can cast the spell. If they do a successful SIEGE check CL=spell level +4 they can cast the spell by will alone. The runestone is still required to be in hand. So even gagged they can still cast a spell if the SIEGE check is successful. Wizards can do this, but to do it bound and gagged would be a CL=spell level +8 to do so.

Rune stones are made out of expensive materials, but are re-useable. Rune stones cost 25 GP for first level, 35 GP for second level, 50 GP for third level, and 100 GP for levels 4 to 6, then 50 GP per level for levels 7 to 9 (350 GP to 450 GP per spell), with certain price exceptions for spells like Wish, etc... Those costs will be double of what is in the PH, but the rune stone is not consumed.

Biggest drawback: Unlike a mage losing a spell book, if you lose your runestones you can't cast another spell until you make new rune stones for the spells you know/have memorized.

Plus Runemark's cannot use Wizard or Illusionist magic items easily. They must make a SIEGE check versus TN 12 + level the item is made at to use it successfully. If they fail the SIEGE check they can never use that particular item until later. If they succeed they can use that particular item, or item power, from then on. Scrolls can never be used in this manner. Potions can be freely used like any other class. Fail the SIEGE check and they can never use that particular item, or item power, until they make another level to get another SIEGE check to try and figure it out.

Rune magic items:

Runemarks cannot cast arcane or divine classed scrolls, nor do they make scrolls. Runesticks are made in place of scrolls, but for all intents and purposes works just like a scroll. Costs of a runestick are twice that of normal scrolls, but otherwise is the same in terms of time to make them.
They use rods, staves, and wands (very similiar looking to runesticks), but they are all rune based, so called Rune Rods, Rune Staves, and Rune Wands. They can also make potions, but the container is used to empower the fluid inside, so rune potion containers are typically bigger than normal potion vials because of this.

Runemark Skills: Runemarks are very good at engraving and carving, as well as identifying metals and gemstones, since they are so crucial to the basics of making runestones and rune items. All checks, when related to runecasting and making rune items, are WIS based. Otherwise it will be related to DEX, or whatever stat the CK considers relevant.

SIEGE Checks:

As you probably guessed, I allow SIEGE checks to be used for a lot of things other than skills. They can be used by fighters to try and get extra attacks, to get an extra attack when you take an opponent down, to transfer points from your BtH to your damage roll, if you think of it, ask me if you can do it. If you have played 3E many of their feats are good ideas for SIEGE checks.

IMPORTANT: If you successfully use a SIEGE check frequently enough to perform a specific kind of action I will eventually, when I decide to do so, award it as a "signature move". This will mean that as long as your opponent is no more than 3 levels higher than you, or lower, you will not need to perform a SIEGE check to do the "signature move". You can have as many "signature moves" as I decide to award you with.

***I also allow all class abilities to be treated as if you have the relevant attribute as a Prime.

SKILLS and LANGUAGES:

If you want anything beyond what your chosen class give you do a back ground write up explaining how you were raised and trained. As long as you can make it a sensible and realistic back ground I don't care if you have 20 skills or languages. Consider 20 the limit, though.

When I decide a skill/language related roll is needed I will do it as if you have the relevant attribute as Prime, even if it is not, just like I treat Class Skills.

I will not accept skills that are too broadly defined, though. For example, Gymnastics is too broad. You must specify tumbling, balance beam, jumping, the horse, the rings, etc...

As for what a class automatically knows, lets use Wizard as an example. I will be willing to assume they "know" everything about spells, spell casting, spell creation, and creating scrolls, potions, and items. I will not assume they know about magical creatures, the planes of existence, etc...

Similar assumptions will be made for the other spell casting classes. You want them to know about monsters, the planes, etc... then do a back ground write up.

Now a fighter example. I will assume they know how best to fight as an individual and maintain their weapons and armor and how to ride their horse and give basic care to their horse and riding gear. If you want them to know how to make armor, weapons, leather goods, medically treat themselves or others, to be perceptive, etc... you must write up a background history.

For clarity, also list your skills you think your write up gives you. So after you finish your write up then list skills like this:

Weapon crafting
fishing
mountain climbing
skinning animals
etc...

EVERYONE HAS THE FOLLOWING, meaning they can add their level to the following checks:

COMMON ABILITIES
Common ability checks automatically improve as characters advance in level,
Common abilities include:
Strength: Feats of strength, jump, swim
Intelligence: Appraise, estimate, recall information
Wisdom: sense motive, direction sense
Dexterity: Balance, climb (simple things, like trees)
Constitution: Stamina, fortitude
Charisma: Bluff, haggle, intimidate, persuasion

*This is not "all inclusive", and I reserve the right as CK to make situational exceptions.

SPOT/Search/Perception/Notice Checks:

Only Barbarian, Rangers, Thieves and Assassins can add their level to a Spot check, everyone else can treat it as 12 or 18, but do not add level.

LUCK POINTS:

You get one luck point +1 per level. So two at level one.

Luck points are used to:

Get a re-roll on an attack roll, save, or SIEGE check. Only 1 re-roll allowed.

To turn a death attack to near death. If an attack outright kills your PC you can permanently burn a luck point to put your character at death's door instead. That means at -6 HP. So Grievously wounded but not dead, and not bleeding out.

You don't refresh your Luck points until your goal/mission is accomplished. This is defined as whatever over all goal your party is working towards. Such as recovering an item, escorting this person/caravan from point A to point Z, finding the daughter of the merchant, etc... NOT when short term goals are accomplished.

Lost/permanently burned luck points are regained anytime I witness you roll 3 Nat 20's to hit, make a save, or SIEGE check in one game session. So make sure I keep track of them, and make sure I witness your rolls. Otherwise its up to me to trust/believe you. I may just deny the validation simply to encourage/motivate you to make sure I witness your rolls.

Online games must use the online dice roller to get this benefit.

Death, the effect of:

When you die, the CK is the god. I determine if you suffer any penalties, per the spell write up. If I deem you died “well”, you will suffer no penalties. If I deem you died badly, you suffer the penalties. So die well and you will have nothing to fear.

GOD CALLS:

This rule is to be used when your character, or group, are about to die. IE to prevent TPK's and character death. Its a long shot, but I have seen it save a character and group from a TPK often enough to recommend remembering this when the party or your character is going down. Base 5% chance, Holy characters (Paladins, Clerics, Druid, etc...) add 1% per level. Generous contributions to holy institutions or causes can earn bonus percentage points. Only to the next God Call. They are lost regardless of success or failure."

Specific Rules changes:

Spell Casting: In an attempt to have as much clarity as possible, this is the way I have spell casting work. All spell casting begins on "10", in the initiative order. This is when you decide what you are casting for the round, or beginning this round. So 10 is when you start, and the actual number rolled for initiative is when it will come into effect. Which will be during the current round with spells of CT 1, and a subsequent round for spells longer than CT 1, even if its 10 minutes later, as long as no disruption occurs in the mean time.

So if your casting a CT 1 spell, you declare your spell on 10, and if you roll a 10 for initiative, your able to cast the spell with lightning speed for whatever reason as well as have its effect come into being on 10. Normally you just start on 10, and declare what the spell is your casting. Then on your initiative roll, the spell goes into effect. This is when you designate the target or target area, then range etc... is verified, and the effect occurs.

SR note, all creatures with an SR will have their score bumped by 1, to account for the anomaly caused by an SR of 1 on a D20. This means ratings of 21 or higher will be immune to magic, unless spells are found or researched specifically for lowering SR.

You can half move and still cast a spell in the same round for CT 1 spells, BUT moving only occurs AFTER your done casting the spell on your initiative turn. So if you go on a 1 in the round (the end of the round), you get no movement. You cannot move when casting spells taking a full round or longer to cast.

Crits and Fumbles:

Criticals: A natural, unmodified roll of 20 on the 20 sided dice is considered a "critical hit". If it is with a non-missile weapon this means you get a free extra attack roll. If it is a missile type weapon it means you multiply your damage by 2.
When rolled on a save versus spell it means no damage is taken if it is a damage type spell. It means you saved versus any spell if the TN was too high for you even to succeed otherwise.

Fumbles: Are when a natural unmodified roll of a "1" is rolled. These cannot be rerolled with luck points. Results of such a roll are usually bad. Such as a save versus a spell is failed. If so you automatically take double damage. Look at it as the Spell caster rolled a crit on you.

For weapon attacks, it means you lose your attack for that round at the very least. I'll have you roll a DEX save and depending on your roll I'll determine some kind of detrimental result, or nothing more at all.

If your weapon is a feathered edge weapon you may cut off one of your limbs.

Movement: I allow 30 foot moves (or whatever your normal move is) in combination with attacks. Not 15 foot. So a charge covers 60 feet, but still allows +2 to hit and -2 to AC.

NONMAGICAL Healing:
In combat you are essentially placing a "band aid". On a successful WIS based check, that only Paladins, Clerics, Druids, Rangers and Assassins can make, the recipient is only stabilized. So no bleeding out is possible unless more injury is caused. Outside of combat you must rest a full 24 hours to regain 1 HP +/- Con modifier. If you are under non magical care of a "healer", such as the aforementioned classes, or an NPC Herbalist/Healer, you regain an additional 1d4 with a successful daily check, CL= to 1 for every increment of 10 HP the injured is missing. Always a minimum of CL 1. They get an automatic +5 if they are fully equipped with a range of mosses, herbs, bandages, and such. On a Nat 20 the recipient gets back 5 HP that day. If you have a negative Con modifier this means you must rest one extra full day per point of the modifier before you can even start to regain hit points. Once you have rested those additional days your modifier is treated as "0" from then on.

The patient, if they have a Con modifier of "0" or higher, can also make a Con check to recover additional Stamina every day. The CL is as above for the Healers, including the +5 if good food and drink are available. A successful check results in a regain of 1d4+ Con modifier, but a Nat 20 has no benefit. A maximum of 1/4, or 20%, rounded down, of the characters maximum HP total can be regained this way. If you have a negative Con modifier you must rely completely on the healer.

I should also note that I define Hit Points as per the 1E DMG and PH. HP are not all just physical damage as C&C defines it. The vast majority of HP are a combination of Luck and stamina, and the loss of HP is mostly the abstract loss of that luck and Stamina due to stress and the dodging of blows and spells. So even when a Magic Missile hits you, its not necessarily hitting you, but presenting enough of a danger to cause you to lose that much of your HP. If it is ever important, your actual, physical, hit points are those you roll for first level + Con bonus +1 per level there after. After first level your Con modifier represents additional, or less, Stamina.

SPELL CHANGES/CLARIFICATIONS:

Dismissal and Repulsion are on the Wizard spell list at the same level.

All items are the minimal caster level required to cast the most powerful spell on the item. Still a minimum of 9th level if a wizard item, or 12th level minimum for Clerical items. The rule of needing 3 levels for every + bonus of weapons, armor, etc... still stands. So +5 items will require 15th level.

Any spell that adds a magical bonus "To Hit" or "To Attack Rolls" make those attacks "magical" for purposes of over coming immunity to non magical attacks.

Only potions change the casting time of a spell, all other items follow all spell parameters as if being cast normally. With the exception of spell components/semantics. Verbal commands are required for all stave's, wands, and rods.

Custom designed items can change these things, but it will cost considerably more. At least 30% more.

Item Usage: Scrolls, Wands, Stave's, and Rods are only usable by spell-casters. A spell-caster is anyone able to cast spells, which includes Paladins, since they can cast Cure Disease, and later on the 12th level powers. However, Divine is restricted to Divine, and Arcane is limited to Arcane. So a Wizard cannot use one of these devices divine powers, however if the item has both Arcane and Divine spells on it they can still use the Arcane powers. An item can be made to allow access to both, but that would be a customized item.

Armor stacking. Fighter type stuff stacks, so shields and Armor. Mage stuff type stacks, so bracers, Staff of the Magi, rings, and cloaks stack. Fighter stuff never stacks with mage stuff. Now stuff that gives some kind of other bonus, such as Luck, Natural Armor, or Divine in the same manner as Prayer or Protection from Evil, does stack with all the others. Rings and Cloak bonus' to AC will stack with non-magical Armors. Once magical armors are used, their magic dominates and negates Rings and Cloaks.

Bonus of similar items do not stack. So rings or cloaks do not stack with themselves. IE a Ring +2 does not stack with a ring +3, only the +3 counts.

EXPERT/MASTERWORK ITEMS:

Each bonus (to hit or damage, they are counted separately) costs 250 GP. Same goes for making bows STR adjusted. Weapons and armor are limited to only a +1. So a sword with +1 to hit and damage will cost an additional 500 GP, and add two weeks to construction times when solicited in game. Bows are limited to +3 STR adjustments, and to have +3 to Dam would cost 750 additional gold above base. However bows can still be "expert", so you can pay 500 go to get an "expert" +1 to hit and damage. You can then add STR modifiers to damage only for 250 gp per bonus point. To reiterate, each +1 adds a week to construction times. So a +3 bow would take 6 additional weeks to make.

POLYMORPH HOUSE RULES:

To mostly clarify polymorph effects, but some rule specifics are in here.

You can only polymorph into creatures twice own size and weight. Which means Creatures descriptions which put them as being taller OR heavier than twice the casters cannot be polymorphed into.

Example: So if you are 6 foot tall and 170 LBS you can Poly into a Ogre or Troll, but not giants or horses. They exceed the height and/or weight limit.

When Polymorphed (self, or other, by the caster) the caster can manipulate the STR of the form, even a "buffed up" version of yourself.

CL=2xSTR increase

Example: Your STR is 13 and you want the new form to be an 18.
CL-2x5=10
Failure: STR stays 13
Crit Fail: STR drops by 5 to an 8
Crit Success: +2 to STR score, so an 18 becomes 20.

Items Worn:

Small things like rings, earrings, bracers, shoes/small boots, necklaces, etc... "meld into" the new form. Unless the new form is still "humanoid", even if size is changed, so are the items changed. IE your clothes. Armor, etc... change size with you, as long as you remain “humanoid” (human shaped). If they meld they become inactive if they are magical. If they do not meld because you assume a humanoid form, then they still work. Plus they can still be recognized.

Larger things, like pants, knee high boots, armor, helmets, shirts, large necklaces, etc... fall off. This is because your body will ooze right out of them, since they cannot be absorbed.

So stuff dropped like this will have to be picked up by the caster in their new from, or some ally will have to pick them up, etc....

TELEPORTING:

I personally think that Teleporting from anywhere you wish, to anywhere you wish is more powerful then teleporting from locations you have to prepare with a circle/pillars/etc...

So I am changing up the order in which you receive the spells, and altering them a little bit. At 5th level you get Teleport Circle, its duration is “instantaneous”, not 1 turn per level. Its CT is a full round, meaning it always goes off on a initiative of “1”. Which means you, and whomever is going with you, needs to be within the circle when you finish casting.

Teleport is now a 7th level spell, but is otherwise the same.

There is still an 8th level Teleport Circle, and it is as written other than still taking a full round to cast. IE it goes off at “1” on the round in which it is cast.

Teleport W/O Error is now a 9th level spell.

Teleport Circle spells teleport 250 pounds per caster level of creatures and equipment.

No circle means they teleport 1 person/creature/2 caster levels and all those creatures are wearing and holding, or 100 pounds of equipment/objects. Combinations are not possible.

There is a 9th level Teleport Circle that has a casting time of 8 hours and a permanent duration when cast and has a material component cost of 10,000 GP. The area of effect is determined by the size of the component(s) used to create the spell. The weight limit per caster level can be multiplied ([250]x2, x4, etc...) by adding 1000 GP in components per multiple (x2=2000 GP, x4=4000 GP, and so on.)

So to have it teleport 1000 pounds per level that is a x4 multiplier so the material component cost is 14,000 GP.

The material can be whatever the caster wants (standing stones, a circle of solid silver 30 foot in
diameter, a doorway, archway, pool of mercury, etc...)

Spell Memorization/Praying (Arcane and Divine):

If you do NOT wish to change spells you only need to meet the resting requirements and spend a total of 15 minutes focusing/clearing your mind. If you wish to change spells, then you spend 15 minutes per spell praying or memorizing it.

GRAPPLING:

To establish a Grapple, as per the 4th printing of the PH. HOWEVER, since this is a weapon free attack, attackers provoke an attack of opportunity, UNLESS they are a Monk. Monks are considered armed. If the AoO succeeds it also ruins the attempted Grapple. Again, Monks do not provoke an AoO.

When grappled a target can make either a STR or DEX save, whichever is better, to break free of the grapple. While Grappled they can either struggle to break or slip free, or they can draw a dagger, wand, or use some kind of magic item that needs only a command word to be spoken. They are only +5 to be hit at this point, and any DEX or Shield AC is negated.

To be made prone/helpless the attacker must make an additional STR check to throw and pin you to the ground, size/STR modifiers apply, as well as any other modifiers that seem sensible. Plus they must be of similar size or bigger, or only be able to pin arms, negating any attack ability of the target, except for a Monks feet. Once successful, both the attacker and defender are +10 to be hit. Unless a Monk is involved.

Monks can fight while Grappled, unless they are successfully pinned to the ground, then they can only attack who or whatever has them in the grapple and opponents gain no more than +5 to hit them when they are Grappled. Remember, Monks get an additional +2 to all attacks while in a Grapple.

A dagger can be used to attack, but at a -2 to all attacks, and only to attack the creature grappling the wielder. Wands can be similarly used, and they do not have to attack their grappler, but can attack other targets within their line of sight.

Two Handed Fighting:

If you want to be a two weapon Fighter take DEX as Prime. This drops the penalties by 1, to -2 for primary hand and -5 for the off hand. Dex bonus' offset these penalties, so an 18 DEX would change these to +1/-2. If DEX isn't prime then the penalties remain 3/6, but the DEX bonus still offsets these before a roll is made. So if you have a +2 DEX bonus the penalties are -1 and -4, then you roll your attacks as normal. Typically BtH + STR bonus' + magic.

ENERGY DRAINS:

When hit by a creature that energy drains you get a save. The save is CON based, CL is equal to HD of the creature. If you fail the save then you lose a level and HP loss is equal to your HD average plus your CON bonus, if any So if you are a fighter you lose 5+CON bonus in hit points.

Still, all is not lost. It takes creatures about 24 hours to fully digest your life energy in my games. So if you kill the creature, or creatures, who stole your life force within 24 hours of them doing so your life force will be released and will find its way back to your body. You must be within 10 feet of the creature when it is destroyed for this to happen automatically. For every 10 feet beyond 10 feet there is a cumulative -2 penalty to your CHA (or CON, whichever the CK decides is most appropriate and beneficial to the player) save for your life force to find and return to you.

So if you are 30 feet away when the creature is destroyed you must make a save at -4 to get your life force back. 10 feet or less no save is required.

Rules for learning to control contracted Lycanthropy:

Every month, for 3 nights, the night of the Full Moon and the night before and after, the urge to change becomes so strong that saves are needed. The rest of the nights, saves are only needed if you come under stress at night time, enter a fight, have a heated argument, or have ANYTHING happen that causes your emotions to flare up strongly, even positive ones of love, etc...

Whenever saves are required, it is a test of mind over body, so is a Charisma save. The only things you can add to your saves are your level and CHA bonus, so ONLY magics that increase either of those will help you with the saving roll. Outside of that only something that gives a Luck bonus will help.

Unfortunately, the power of the Lycanthropy is directly related to how powerful you are, IE your class levels. So the CL to resist the change is equal to your class level. Your actual level, not your level if you some how get it magically increased for purposes of making this save.

On the 3 nights of the Full Moon, you will have to make two saves to not change. The first will be as soon as the Moon becomes visible after the Sun goes down. The second will be around the middle of the night, typically between Midnight and 1 AM, because that is when the urge to change is at its height.

This ordeal will also be very painful. Your fighting the change will literally cause your bones to break and heal, so you will suffer 1d6 of damage for 1 of each of your 3 levels in your class. So a 9th level character will suffer 3d6 Damage whenever they roll the save, and make it. Failing the save just means you change, and spend the rest of the night as the beast.

Mastering your form:

To gain initial Mastery, this just gives you the ability to assume what is referred to as the "Hybrid" form, so you still appear monstrous, people will automatically assume your a threat, etc... However, YOU will have control over what your actions are for the rest of the night. You gain this level of control once you make 9 successful rolls to resist changing on nights of the Full Moon only. So this mastery can be gained in as little as 3 months, if you were to make every single save every night. Typically, this level of control takes 6 to 8 months. Full Control, where you decide to change or not change, occurs once you have made 40 successful saves only on the nights of the Full Moon, AND you can choose to change at will, even during the day. This level of Mastery typically takes around 18 to 24 months. You can only change once per day, between 8 hour rests. The only exception to this is at night, and if you give up control to the curse, and then you can only change to the full beast form, and have no control.

After you have gained Full Mastery, and 3 full years have passed, you will have learned to change at will 2/day, at 6 years this becomes 3/day, and at 10 years, you can change as many times as you wish and will have finally fully Mastered your Lycanthropy. If you wish to be cured after you have achieved intial Mastery, you will only be curable by Wish level magic, or by being Reincarnated. At the 10 year mark, you can only be cured by a Wish, the curse will follow you via Reincarnation.

Lycanthropy can only be passed as you became infected with it, via bites or claw attacks. It spreads as a Disease. Only true Weres can birth offspring that can also change, and Lycans and Weres, typically, HATE each other at an instinctual level. In fact, they have to make a CHA save identical to fighting a change to not attack each other. CL is the class level of the one making the roll. The only way a Lycan will not change with a failed roll is if they are under 10 years of Mastery and have used their daily limits. Weres and 10+ year Lycan Masters will always change on a failed roll. They can learn to fight this instictual hatred much like a Lycan learns their intitial level of Mastery, but it takes 10 successful attempts to control themselves. So it is rare to see a Lycan and Were meet and not immediately try to tear each other apart.

Equipment bundles

Pack 1, Delvers bundle

Backpack 2g
Bedroll 1s
Belt pouch large 1g
Blanket, winter 5s
Canteen ½ gallon 2g
Flint and steel 1g
Hammer small 1g
Lantern hooded 7g
Oil 6 flasks 6g
Pitons / spikes 10 1g
Rope 50’ hemp 1g
Sack large 2 1s
Torch 5 5c
Whetstone/weapon kit 1g

Total 25 gold

Pack 2, mage kit

Case, scroll or map 2 2g
Chalk dozen pieces 12c
Flask 6 18c
Ink 3oz 24g
Paper 10 sheets 10g
Quill 3 3s
Wax, sealing 3 3g
Tongs 6s
Vial 6 (1oz) 6s

Total 4o gold

Pack 3, cleric kit

Candle 5 sticks 5c
Holy symbol wood 1g
Incense sticks 6 6g
Prayer beads 2g
Wolves bane 2g

Total 10 gold

Pack 4, rogue gear

Belt pouch small 2 1g
Case scroll or map 1g
Chalk 3 pieces 3c
Chisel 1g
Cord 50’ 5g
Crowbar 2g
Dust bag of 3 -
File metal 1g
Pitons/spikes 10 1g
Rogues tools 30g
Sack small 1s
String 50’ 4s
Vial 4 4s

Total 40 gold

Pack 5, provisions cheap

Water skin 1g
Rations 2 weeks 6g

Total 7 gold

Pack 6, provisions good

Water skin 1g
Cheese block 2 4s
Rations 2 weeks 6g
Beer ration, daily 7g
Tea 1month supply 1s
Wine, fine 2 bottles 20g
Pipe, and 2 weeks pipe weed 6g

Total 40 gp

GOLDEN RULE: No one is allowed to kill anyone elses PC. Ever. Only the CK is allowed to kill PC's. I used to think I didn't have to say such a thing, but its been made clear to me lately that some people think killing each others PC is cool. In my games it is not, it is forbidden. You want to kill PC's, take up the CK mantle.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

My house rules can be found in my signature. Tree says they are linger than his, but there not. He's old and can't see very well any more. ;)

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:My house rules can be found in my signature. Tree says they are linger than his, but there not. He's old and can't see very well any more. ;)

R-
I recall saying that about Omote's, but I don't recall saying it about yours. I just know when I print mine out its around 14 pages.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:My house rules can be found in my signature. Tree says they are linger than his, but there not. He's old and can't see very well any more. ;)

R-
I recall saying that about Omote's, but I don't recall saying it about yours. I just know when I print mine out its around 14 pages.
In my current game thread, you mentioned that my house rules now exceeded yours. When I print mine out, they only come to 7 pages.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I don't really have a permanent set of house rules and seem to build them anew each game, but here are what I use in my current C&C game:

House Rules:
Stunning - Unless the rules say otherwise:
A stunned creature drops everything held, can’t take actions, takes a -2 penalty to AC, and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any).

Spontaneous Cures
A cleric or someone who may cast cleric spells may switch any spell of 1st level or above (except a Cure spell) with a Cure spell of the same level, by making a SIEGE check (the spellcaster's Prime) with the CL being the level of the spell to switch. If the check passes the switch is successful and the spell may be used in the same round. If it fails, the spell will still be a Cure spell, but will be Cure Light Wounds, regardless of the level cast, and may not be used until a subsequent round. An evil cleric may elect to instead spontaneously cast a reversed (Cause...) spell.

Fate Points
As per the CKG.

Stacking
What can stack in terms of Armor Class?
Armor can stack with shields. (M&T: Magic armor bonuses never rise above
+5, and stack with regular armor bonuses (and with shield and
magic shield enchantment bonuses).

The latest printing seems to make clear what else may stack.
As a general rule, though, most things do not stack with magical armor, but instead coexist, such that the highest bonus prevails.

Expect further discussion on this. If it becomes important to your character, we can examine the situation and make a ruling.

Combat Maneuvers
The CKG combat maneuvers are allowed.

Archery
If a fighter takes a shortbow or longbow as their specialty, they may use it for combat dominance.

Class Abilities (only)
I am adopting Stephen's rule with some modifications.
There is a new derived ability called "Essence". It is always exactly the same as your class prime ability score. It is always prime.
For any of your class abilities, if it calls for a certain stat in parentheses, use your Essence instead.
If you have multiple classes, each class will have its own Essence stat for its respective abilities.

(Why "essence"? It's your most essential class defining ability. But also so you don't have to say you are rolling Dexterity for Decipher Script)
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Wow! I'll have to print these out to absorb them all. Some cool stuff in here. Thanks for the replies, everyone.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm thinking for my next C&C campaign, only using secondary skill, advantages, and fate/luck points from the CKG and see how like it.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:
Treebore wrote:

R-
In my current game thread, you mentioned that my house rules now exceeded yours. When I print mine out, they only come to 7 pages.

R-
Just remember, you helped make my house rules as extensive as they are. Everything I have in there is to address issues brought up by game play. Besides, who else came up with their own rules for mastering Lycanthropy, or wrote up a Runemark class that doesn't use a completely new magic system, or answers hopefully every question about polymorphing, etc...? Only a CK that has been running or playing C&C mostly non stop for over 12 years. They are extensive because they are thorough and comprehensive, and give me my nearly perfect rules set. So tease me all you want, but I am very happy with them. Its nice after all these decades of playing D&D to have a rules set I am so happy with. Its been worth the effort.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:
Treebore wrote:

R-

R-
Just remember, you helped make my house rules as extensive as they are. Everything I have in there is to address issues brought up by game play. Besides, who else came up with their own rules for mastering Lycanthropy, or wrote up a Runemark class that doesn't use a completely new magic system, or answers hopefully every question about polymorphing, etc...? Only a CK that has been running or playing C&C mostly non stop for over 12 years. They are extensive because they are thorough and comprehensive, and give me my nearly perfect rules set. So tease me all you want, but I am very happy with them. Its nice after all these decades of playing D&D to have a rules set I am so happy with. Its been worth the effort.
Of course I'm gonna tease you; I only mess with people I like. Besides, some of your rules I liked so much that they ended up in my rules.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

My house rules are lengthy because of three reasons. One, I play with a certain crowd that needs the rules spelled out in detail. Two, I essentially rewrote the entire hard rules sections of the PHB (and a little of the M&T) to be precise and stave off common arguments. And lastly I format and layout my rules docs in a specific manner which is, unfortunately, an inefficient use of space. What makes it more extensive is the large amounts of new spells, classes, races, and rewrites to rules that are easily exploitable or too vague as written etc. That actually reminds me that I haven't updated any of my online C&C rules documents in years. Ugh, that'll be some work.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Omote wrote:My house rules are lengthy because of three reasons. One, I play with a certain crowd that needs the rules spelled out in detail. Two, I essentially rewrote the entire hard rules sections of the PHB (and a little of the M&T) to be precise and stave off common arguments. And lastly I format and layout my rules docs in a specific manner which is, unfortunately, an inefficient use of space. What makes it more extensive is the large amounts of new spells, classes, races, and rewrites to rules that are easily exploitable or too vague as written etc. That actually reminds me that I haven't updated any of my online C&C rules documents in years. Ugh, that'll be some work.

~O
Thats part of why my rules are so, I guess, detailed? I've played with a wide variety of gamers over the decades. I'm not going to let the fact that the people I game with via these boards are so good, laid back, understanding, etc... make me lazy and get me blindsided down the road. I fully believe in benefiting from lessons learned, not get hit by them again. So the best way to prevent that is as you said, spell it out as best as you can before hand.

Edit: Most importantly by helping me not forget the lessons learned.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I should add that the reason I only have a few house rules is that if it all goes to hell I just look at Treebore and Rigon's.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aergraith wrote:I should add that the reason I only have a few house rules is that if it all goes to hell I just look at Treebore and Rigon's.

:lol: :lol: :lol: