In Memoriam ~ Gary Gygax

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

In Memoriam ~ Gary Gygax

Post by Tadhg »

I meant to post this a few days ago, but it's never too late to remember a great man!

God Bless!
Attachments
magicman.gif
magicman.gif (68.17 KiB) Viewed 6141 times
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

maximus
Lore Drake

Re: In Memoriam ~ Gary Gygax

Post by maximus »

Rhuvein wrote:I meant to post this a few days ago, but it's never too late to remember a great man!

God Bless!
Indeed! I still have a few letters he returned to me with comments in the margins circa 1983. I was shocked that he answered me in person. Never got a chance to meet him, but I've enjoyed the game he created for the past 35+ years. Hoping to combine a visit home to Chicago with a trip to GaryCon next year.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

maximus wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:I meant to post this a few days ago, but it's never too late to remember a great man!

God Bless!
Indeed! I still have a few letters he returned to me with comments in the margins circa 1983. I was shocked that he answered me in person. Never got a chance to meet him, but I've enjoyed the game he created for the past 35+ years. Hoping to combine a visit home to Chicago with a trip to GaryCon next year.

Rgr that, I never meet him or even wrote him, but I did post a couple of things on one of the old forums and he emailed me specific answers etc. very cool to get those direct from him !
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Sometimes, it's hard to believe it has been 10 years since he passed.

I remember how active he was on so many forums (the older, old and one before this TLG, ENworld, RPGnet, Lejendary, DF, Pied Piper and prolly some others that I have forgotten), always happy to chat, answer questions (many of the same that he had been answering for years) and was always very cordial and friendly - but did not suffer fools gladly!

And during those last years, was writing modules for LA and CZ - hard working to the end, knowing that there was a very good chance of dying soon.

Gary, R.I.P. and thanks for everything!

[I really enjoyed running Castle Zagyg for my online group here. It was a blast]

:)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Rhuvein wrote:Sometimes, it's hard to believe it has been 10 years since he passed.

I remember how active he was on so many forums (the older, old and one before this TLG, ENworld, RPGnet, Lejendary, DF, Pied Piper and prolly some others that I have forgotten), always happy to chat, answer questions (many of the same that he had been answering for years) and was always very cordial and friendly - but did not suffer fools gladly!

And during those last years, was writing modules for LA and CZ - hard working to the end, knowing that there was a very good chance of dying soon.

[I really enjoyed running Castle Zagyg for my online group here. It was a blast]

Hear! Hear!

I used to hit him up with LA questions and he always gave me a timely answer, he made time for his fans and was very helpful and went the extra mile when others may not have.

Wish I could have been around for that CZ game Rhu, maybe someday in the future...

BTW, what is that piece of art from? I noticed the artist is Darlene but I can't place it.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Kayolan wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:Sometimes, it's hard to believe it has been 10 years since he passed.

Hear! Hear!

I used to hit him up with LA questions and he always gave me a timely answer, he made time for his fans and was very helpful and went the extra mile when others may not have.

Wish I could have been around for that CZ game Rhu, maybe someday in the future...

BTW, what is that piece of art from? I noticed the artist is Darlene but I can't place it.
Well, I wished you were in that game as well. And oddly, I have been thinking about returning to CZ and you would be totally welcome.

My thought would be a more dangerous and deadly dungeon a la Castle Greyhawk that I experienced when playing in Gary's 1972 version some years ago.

I have several levels that I created - based on all the internet info and Gary's comments about some of his material - that I would like to use and present.

Are you OK with every other Sunday night?

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Kayolan wrote: BTW, what is that piece of art from? I noticed the artist is Darlene but I can't place it.
I'm pretty sure this art was drawn by Darlene, right after Gary's passing. Tom Wham and I think some others produced some drawings and such. Hmm, I'll have to check my folders.

R.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Ten years, crazy…

It really was amazing just how accessible and friendly he was on these forums and others. Going back and reading some of those threads is a bittersweet joy.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Rhuvein wrote:
Well, I wished you were in that game as well. And oddly, I have been thinking about returning to CZ and you would be totally welcome.

My thought would be a more dangerous and deadly dungeon a la Castle Greyhawk that I experienced when playing in Gary's 1972 version some years ago.

I have several levels that I created - based on all the internet info and Gary's comments about some of his material - that I would like to use and present.

Are you OK with every other Sunday night?

Unfortunately Sundays aren't good for me with my current schedule, hoping that will change in the near future. :(