What's this music ... eh?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

What's this music ... eh?

Post by Troll Lord »

So as you know I'm a huge fan of Blondie, Blue Oyster Cult, Johnny Cash and a smattering of others. But, last night about 1 in the a.m. I discovered the King.

I've been laying floor in the downstairs rooms and office and last night I was putting the finishing touches on the quarter round. I put on the soundtrack to Hero and listened to it for awhile until the CD flipped. And what was there but a collectin of Elvis' greatest hits. I didn't bother changing it as I've always liked Elvis, not enough to pick up a CD mind you, but he is quite a singer.

HOLY CRAP That dude has soul. I listened to that whole CD and then ran it b back through. Damned if that boy can't belt out the tunes.

If you haven't, go check him out. You won't regret it.

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
troll@trolllord.com

joewolz
Ungern

Post by joewolz »

Who doesn't like Elvis? C'mon folks, seriously.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I don't like Elvis. Not because I don't think he can sing, as he clearly can, but, its the songs that are sung... I just don't like them. Well, let me take that back.. I only like two or three of them. Lyrics and rhythm are just as important, if not more so at times, than how good it sounds; for example, you could have an angelic choir repeating "cracker mojo fly, gorilla burger" and it will sound amazing.. but the song is still crap.

Ghul
Ulthal

Post by Ghul »

I like the King. His live album recorded in Hawaii is my favorite. Then again, I also like King Diamond. And Neil Diamond.
--Ghul

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Elvis is the King of rock n roll! 8)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

serleran wrote:
I don't like Elvis.

Wow! I get to agree with Serleran!
(I rub my chin as I pretend to be smarter.)

Personally, I don't really care for Elvis. I don't hate him - seems like he was a nice guy. Other people can love him. I think it was his movies that did it for me. At the same time, I don't really care for Garth Brooks either. And that's a hard road to walk in the Midwest! (I used to think he was the anti-christ, you know, after I decided that it wasn't Lionel Richie. Lately I've been wondering if it could be Angelina & Brad's forthcoming child. Is it Monday? I'm not really with it on Mondays.

John Adams

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

I do not like Elvis either. He really pissed me off the other day when I was in 7-11 getting a slurpy. I guess him and his 'alien' buddies were gassing up their UFO and where going to be partying more. Took up a lot of time trying to decide on munchies.

I do like Jonny Cash. I think his song Burning Ring of Fire in addition to being great would serve well as a hemroids commercial

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

PeelSeel2 wrote:
I do not like Elvis either. He really pissed me off the other day when I was in 7-11 getting a slurpy. I guess him and his 'alien' buddies were gassing up their UFO and where going to be partying more. Took up a lot of time trying to decide on munchies.

Hmm, he's always friendly when I see him. Just the other day, he was getting his nails done and he autographed his photo for me. And he then said, "Thank ya, thank ya very much!", as he combed his hair (which is still perfect by the way)!

Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

miller6
Lore Drake

Re: What's this music ... eh?

Post by miller6 »

Troll Lord wrote:
HOLY CRAP That dude has soul. I listened to that whole CD and then ran it b back through. Damned if that boy can't belt out the tunes.

If you haven't, go check him out. You won't regret it.

Steve

Steve, if you like Elvis then you've GOTTA meet my friend "Moon" who games with us every other weekend or so. Seriously. No joke. He's the best elvis impersonator (voice wise) you could possibly imagine. I like to say, "He does elvis better than elvis". I think he's coming to the con, but I'll have to check with him again to be sure. If you get a couple drinks in him at the bar and they have kareoki, he'll get up and do American trilogy...(his favorite elvis tune) or any other one...even if he has to do it Acappella (which he's done many times for weddings). Last time he did, everyone raised there lighters and chanted "elvis...elvis..." as he stepped away from the mic. They even cast him as "The King" in a local theater's production of Joseph's Technicolor Dreamcoat because his elvis was simply too good to pass up. He got a standing ovation for that one.

...Anyhow, the point is, he's a DJ so he's got every Elvis tune in existance on his i-pod. If you're looking for any and can't seem to find 'em anywhere, just let me know and I'll pass the word that there's an elvis fan who needs assistance. For that reason alone, I guarantee he'd hook you up.

Brian Miller

"I never liked elvis 'til I met this guy. Even his gaming minature is a fully painted little elvis in his white and gold jumpsuit and cape. He uses it for his wizard, Tajir".
Promoting C&C at Gary Con and LGGC since 2005.

Nym
Mist Elf

Post by Nym »

Elvis? Take it or leave it. Scary thing is, I had a record as a kid: Elvis Sings for Children. If you've never heard Elvis sing Old McDonald, you've missed out! Quite a trip!

On a cathedral or a church,

Where, mid ecclesiastic style,

He smiles an early-Gothic smile.

-Oliver Herford

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Wow, a Elvis impersonator who plays RPGs, now those would be some fun sessions. I think Elvis is OK but I prefer the musicans that he emulated and copied. Check out Chuck Berry, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters and other musicans that started to bridge the gap between blues and rock. These guys really have soul and are a great listen.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Combat_Kyle wrote:
Wow, a Elvis impersonator who plays RPGs, now those would be some fun sessions. I think Elvis is OK but I prefer the musicans that he emulated and copied. Check out Chuck Berry, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters and other musicans that started to bridge the gap between blues and rock. These guys really have soul and are a great listen.

No doubt, "the way was paved" before hand.

Brian Miller

ConnallMac
Mist Elf

Post by ConnallMac »

PeelSeel2 wrote:
I do like Jonny Cash. I think his song Burning Ring of Fire in addition to being great would serve well as a hemroids commercial

I've read that the makers of Preperation H approached Johnny's daughter after his death asking to use the song in one of their commercials. It's enough to make an atheist like myself say "Sacriledge!".

J. Haney

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

PeelSeel2 wrote:

Steve

troll@trolllord.com

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

miller6 wrote:
Steve, if you like Elvis then you've GOTTA meet my friend "Moon" who games with us every other weekend or so. Seriously. No joke. He's the best elvis impersonator (voice wise) you could possibly imagine. I like to say, "He does elvis better than elvis". I think he's coming to the con, but I'll have to check with him again to be sure.

Dude, you gotta get him to the con. IF there is a wedding as I keep hearing rumors of, he could sing at the wedding. What better way to do the fest. Gary preciding, elvis singing!!! LOL

Steve

troll@trolllord.com

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Troll Lord wrote:
Dude, you gotta get him to the con. IF there is a wedding as I keep hearing rumors of, he could sing at the wedding. What better way to do the fest. Gary preciding, elvis singing!!! LOL

Steve

I'll check with him and get back to you on this. I imagine he'll find it a tempting offer.

Brian Miller

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Moon says he'll sing Elvis at the wedding if it's on Fri. or Sun. He's DJing on Sat and can't make the con that day.

Brian Milller