What gaming stuff are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
dachda
Lore Drake

Re: What gaming stuff are you reading?

Post by dachda »

Rhuvein wrote:
Sound cool!

Any links to info on this?

Tanks! :)
Here's a video unveiling on YouTube:

If interested you can still preorder the paper version off the kickstarter page.

I believe the paper copies hit FLGS in August. The PDFs are available now on Chaosium's webstore.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

dachda wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:
Sound cool!

Any links to info on this?

Tanks! :)
Here's a video unveiling on YouTube:

If interested you can still preorder the paper version off the kickstarter page.

I believe the paper copies hit FLGS in August. The PDFs are available now on Chaosium's webstore.
Thanks, man. Will check it out . .
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Godbound is out now, so looking at that. Kevin Crawford does very solid stuff, excellent for sandbox games, so I bought this one even though the idea of playing gods doesn't immediately appeal to me. Looks interesting so far. I think you could play a variety of scenarios with it. A "Wrath of the Immortals" style D&D endgame, something like Zelazny's Amber, the anime "Fate/stay night", though the book has its own setting that informs the rules and abilities, so probably would be best used to play itself.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Hawkmoon.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

The Haunted Highlands. Great stuff, if Aihrde is (among other things) Tolkienesque fantasy, this is C&C sword and sorcery style. I am certainly going to bring more of it over into my Xylh campaign. I already use the Black Libram of Nartarus, because your evil wizards can't just be throwing magic missiles and fireballs, can they?

The witch and necromancer classes are useful, and there is a lot of thoughtful gaming advice in the HH PHB and CKG.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Cthulhu Britannica London. Big boxed set from Cubicle7. Just finished the Investigators book and about to start on the Keeper's book, then the adventure book. Some fantastic maps as well. Good setting material that could be used in an Amazing Adventure games as well as Call of Cthulhu.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

D&D 5e.

I picked up the PHB at my FLGS. The print quality is horrible, it's like a POD thing, there are pages with ink smears and it's all very dark and low contrast.

I have read lots of games that I thought looked great until I played them, so I will reserve final judgment until I have played, but I have to say it looks pretty reasonable. It wipes the memories of 4e pretty well and is at a glance more relaxed than 3.5. The classes and races have a little variation built in via the rules, and the feats are probably less overpowered than some of the CKG advantages.

As others have noted, if you already have and like C&C, no reason to pick it up unless you like trying other D&D family games. However, if you are a new player, and want people to play with, and want consistent rules, well, D&D looks like it's not going anywhere and it is probably good TLG is porting a few books over.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aergraith wrote:D&D 5e.

I picked up the PHB at my FLGS. The print quality is horrible, it's like a POD thing, there are pages with ink smears and it's all very dark and low contrast.

I have read lots of games that I thought looked great until I played them, so I will reserve final judgment until I have played, but I have to say it looks pretty reasonable. It wipes the memories of 4e pretty well and is at a glance more relaxed than 3.5. The classes and races have a little variation built in via the rules, and the feats are probably less overpowered than some of the CKG advantages.

As others have noted, if you already have and like C&C, no reason to pick it up unless you like trying other D&D family games. However, if you are a new player, and want people to play with, and want consistent rules, well, D&D looks like it's not going anywhere and it is probably good TLG is porting a few books over.
Yeah, I played in a weekly 5E game fore 4 or 5 months. MUCH better than what they did with 4E and even 3E, but I still prefer what I accomplish with C&C. I am never adverse to playing 5E, though. Like nwelte (as you know, Aergraith, since your in the same game) is planning on having us convert over to a 5E Ravenloft game after our current C&C game concludes, and I like 5E and Ravenloft enough to be looking forward to it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

As for what I am reading, I am looking through the Frog God PDF's I bought on Monday while waiting for the print versions to be mailed. The Northlands Complete Saga has a LOT going on in its 10+ adventures. The other one I bought is basically a reprinting and combining of Crucible of Freya, Tomb of Abysthor and one other I am blanking on at this moment, with some new content to make it fit better in their Lost Lands setting. I like what I am seeing enough to not be upset at paying the 50% of retail, since I own the originals.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Kersus
Red Cap

Post by Kersus »

The Lost City of Gaxmoor
Millennium's End GMs Companion
Nation Builder
Gary Gygax's Necropolis (both versions)
Join the scorn. Don't hate us as the home of the SCHWA RPG. Hate us because we're Furiously Eclectic. Be wildly multifarious on our dime.

Harlock
Ungern

Post by Harlock »

Player's Guide to Aihrde
After that it'll be the S-series, and Rune Lore
~~~~~R.I.P~~~~~
Tom Moldvay
Nov. 5, 1948 – March 9, 2007
B/X, B4, X2 - You were D&D to me

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Reading Codex Celtarium and going back through Yggsburgh.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I've been rereading Dungeon World. I'm still not sure whether I want to run it, but I'm definitely going to steal some of the GMing principles and tools for other RPGs. I'm probably going to dive back into Risus next.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Some random Munchkin cards.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I'm reading through the Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures RPG. It's a fantastic game. Three classes: warrior, rogue, and mage. Character creation is through playbooks with some collaboration between players. I love the magic system in this game - very non-offensive and more utility, spells per day equal Mage level, no levels on spells, cantrips exist, and higher spells are rituals. Overall, it's a pretty awesome game Ned I'm digging it a lot.

I'm also alternating between the Fantasy AGE Bestiary and Chronicles of Darkness. I've got this really good idea for a gritty, almost-superhero modern game.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Kersus
Red Cap

Post by Kersus »

Pulled out my D20 version of Vakhund to help make heads or tails of the C&C version. Much clearer now.

Rereading all the Kobolds Ate My Baby 1e booklets.

Learning Traveller 1e Snapshot rules.
Join the scorn. Don't hate us as the home of the SCHWA RPG. Hate us because we're Furiously Eclectic. Be wildly multifarious on our dime.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Several Savage Worlds books I've needed for sometime now. Still a bit behind, but closing the gap. Last Parsec: Leviathan, Necessary Evil:Breakout, two books for Hell On Earth, and three books for the new Rippers.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Re-reading . .

Dragons of Aihrde ~ Leech Wyrms (the dragon mini-adventures are great) and -

A4 Usurpers of the Fell Axe. Very excellent city/dungeon module. Plenty of intrigue and evil in the city of Ludensheim along the Blacktooth Ridge.

8-)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I've been very busy setting up my C&C PBP game, so my gaming reading has been a bit on the down-low this week. I'm planning a third read-through of the Dungeon World rules once the PBP is up and running. I really want to try Dungeon World out.

I received my Savage Worlds: Weird War I kickstarter materials last night. It seems like a gaming lifetime ago since I backed that kickstarter. I'm no longer even interested in Savage Worlds at this point. C&C is my D&D-like game of choice. For generic, I'd much rather try out Risus or maybe give FATE another try. C&C, Risus, and Dungeon World have fully captured my attention. On the plus side, I ordered the messenger bag add-on, so I finally got a replacement for my disintegrating gaming backpack. I guess I'll stick the Weird War I books on my gaming bookshelves and move on poorer and wiser.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Buttmonkey wrote:I've been very busy setting up my C&C PBP game, so my gaming reading has been a bit on the down-low this week. I'm planning a third read-through of the Dungeon World rules once the PBP is up and running. I really want to try Dungeon World out.

I received my Savage Worlds: Weird War I kickstarter materials last night. It seems like a gaming lifetime ago since I backed that kickstarter. I'm no longer even interested in Savage Worlds at this point. C&C is my D&D-like game of choice. For generic, I'd much rather try out Risus or maybe give FATE another try. C&C, Risus, and Dungeon World have fully captured my attention. On the plus side, I ordered the messenger bag add-on, so I finally got a replacement for my disintegrating gaming backpack. I guess I'll stick the Weird War I books on my gaming bookshelves and move on poorer and wiser.
You talk like it took them forever to deliver WW1. They only missed their scheduled delivery for the print books for August by less than 2 weeks. Or is it just an enthusiasm issue? Enthusiasm can return. For me it usually returns by reading the RPG books. Unless its an RPG I really don't like much in the first place, like 4th edition D&D or the old Spacemaster.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Just got Bluffside delivered today. Can't wait to dig into it.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Treebore wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:I've been very busy setting up my C&C PBP game, so my gaming reading has been a bit on the down-low this week. I'm planning a third read-through of the Dungeon World rules once the PBP is up and running. I really want to try Dungeon World out.

You talk like it took them forever to deliver WW1. They only missed their scheduled delivery for the print books for August by less than 2 weeks. Or is it just an enthusiasm issue? Enthusiasm can return. For me it usually returns by reading the RPG books. Unless its an RPG I really don't like much in the first place, like 4th edition D&D or the old Spacemaster.
I've got no complaints about the delivery time on the Weird War I kickstarter. Delivery was lightning fast compared to the 3 Sisters, for example (I'm still waiting on my last shipment of stuff). I think the total turnaround time was about 6 months. Unfortunately for Pinnacle, my tastes shifted considerably in those 6 months.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Treebore wrote:

I've got no complaints about the delivery time on the Weird War I kickstarter. Delivery was lightning fast compared to the 3 Sisters, for example (I'm still waiting on my last shipment of stuff). I think the total turnaround time was about 6 months. Unfortunately for Pinnacle, my tastes shifted considerably in those 6 months.
Ah. Well tastes can shift again. I own and like a crap ton of RPG's, but I am not always in the mood to play every last one of them at any time. Given enough time, my interest will rekindle. So I wouldn't recommend writing off Pinnacle products forever. Something may make you shift back.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I did really like their 40 Fathoms book. That is how a campaign setting should be put together.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Buttmonkey wrote:I did really like their 40 Fathoms book. That is how a campaign setting should be put together.
Yeah, right now the RIFTS campaign has me pretty jazzed. I am scheduled to play in several creator ran games at Rin Con at the end of the month. I am also a big fan of Deadlands and Hellfrost and a couple of others.

I was bummed that they had no Wierd War 1 games on the schedule for Rin Con.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

The Undercaverns of Gaxmoor by Luke Gygax.

High level adventure (9-11 challenge) with very cool monsters.

:P

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

The Dungeon World Guide. It's a fan document explaining Dungeon World to folks with a D&D brain.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Buttmonkey wrote:The Dungeon World Guide. It's a fan document explaining Dungeon World to folks with a D&D brain.
Link?

Since I am playing in a Cthulhu game, that isn't Cthulhu Tech, for like only the third or fourth time in my life, I am reading and learning the 7 edition of the rules. They did a really nice job. Guess the KS, which I did not back, now regretfully, was worth while.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Treebore wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:The Dungeon World Guide. It's a fan document explaining Dungeon World to folks with a D&D brain.
Link?
Here you go. It's a free download from the Dungeon World website.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I've been re-reading Starsiege Event Horizon this morning. It has a lot of great stuff - but, after re-reading the SSEH relaunch thread, I'm convinced that I would run the game with C&C rules (might need some houserules for some things - not sure).